Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

A couple weeks ago I started using my commando as my main for the first time since 1.2 came out and I'm loving it.

I never wanted to PvP because everybody said it sucked. They were wrong.

Merc/commando does suck at 1v1 so here's a tip. Avoid 1v1.

4v4 commando is a game changer. You can DPS the 4 down while the other 3 pick people off. Usually your can wipe the 4 of them with only 1 or 2 lost in your team. Then you can heal your teammates till the 2 lost respawn. Lather rinse repeat.

The commando plays more like a healer than anything else. Stay out of the way, and wear enemies down while the rest of the team picks them off.

Team up with 2 or 3 friends that are DPS melee and maybe a tank or sniper. Having the commando in the team will be more effective than having another sent/marauder.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is ... A GENIUS !!!!

Any tip to avoid that Maraudeur jumping at you or the scoundrel stealth ganking you? In Civil War, do you stay in non frequented areas aka the Nodes, like very, very, very, far away, almost like you were running from combat?

Oh wait, I got it, you aren't leaving the rez area aren't ya? Bang up job there Holmes.

Seriously where do these people come from? is it the same in other mmo's or do we have a special category in this game.

Edited by yoomazir

A couple weeks ago I started using my commando as my main for the first time since 1.2 came out and I'm loving it.

I never wanted to PvP because everybody said it sucked. They were wrong.

4v4 commando is a game changer. You can DPS the 4 down while the other 3 pick people off. Usually your can wipe the 4 of them with only 1 or 2 lost in your team. Then you can heal your teammates till the 2 lost respawn. Lather rinse repeat.

The commando plays more like a healer than anything else. Stay out of the way, and wear enemies down while the rest of the team picks them off.

Team up with 2 or 3 friends that are DPS melee and maybe a tank or sniper. Having the commando in the team will be more effective than having another sent/marauder.

Holy nuts!! Why didnt I think of that!! This guys is a *********** genious! BW/EA I demand you higher this guy immediatly!

/sarcasm off

I play a commando as do alot of other 50s on my server. We are some of the most wanted players. 1v1 I can almost kill anything that has the same or slightly better gear then me. You just need to learn how to play your class.

I agree with this. On a good team, Commando (Merc mirror) does very well. I am usually among the top DPS in the stats list. Commando is more of a team DPS class. Commando is not as good in a 1 v 1 fight. And if you are trying to play it as a 1 v 1 class, that is where you fail. If healers keep commandos alive, they can be very dangerous.

Mercs generally aren't made for 1v1s, as they rely on others doing the work and healing them, or an interruptable cast time. It is harder to play arsenal now that rocket punch isn't a knockback and there are more interrupts around, but they aren't that bad. They have hope. I shouldn't really talk about dps, but my healer merc does just fine in the warzones. Heals a lot, does fair damage, and doesn't go down often. Try doing something other than spamming tracer missile.

Also, only use your casting specials when you have the space and time to use them. If you rely on them too much, you will just get stunned, interrupted, etc. repeatedly. No need to stack tracer missle or grav round. Get what you can off on someone, but use your instant casts more. Spam your regular shot while moving, it actually does more damage than you think. And don't waste specials on people with bubbles on them.

Just my thoughts. I am sure many know better than I, but I think with those basic approaches you can do better with your class. There is always a way to do better at your class no matter what it is. Or you could just play FOTM classes like a lot of the haters on here. :p

And if you are trying to play it as a 1 v 1 class, that is where you fail.

So we are somehow a support class right? a class that helps other teamates by doing some pew pew/aoe from very far way right? So basically I bring to my team a player that is unable to stand by himself if he's on a difficult spot, and does okay-ish damage if not caught on, right? Kinda like a class companion! Riiiiiight...

If you can't survive alone a 1v1, let alone a 1v2 or more, in a WZ, then you are a liability to the team.

You want ranged dps that can do that, does AOE dmg, very high single target dmg, possess push/stun/root, possess defensive abilities for himself AND the team? Look no further: Sniper/Gunslinger.

You on the other side... healz, 1.5/3 seconds, interruptable by any opponent, casting time attacks, rooting rocket punch? LOL, yeah...

All I'm asking for Bioware, is for a free advanced class switch, I would like to think I can reverse my opinion of wasting 3 months of my life into a laughable pvp class.

Edited by yoomazir

You want ranged dps that can do that, does AOE dmg, very high single target dmg, possess push/stun/root, possess defensive abilities for himself AND the team? Look no further: Sniper/Gunslinger.

^ This. And add to that an extra 5m of range and a nice finisher for opponents under 30% health. Those saying that commando/merc is not a 1v1 PvP AC are basically agreeing without realizing it.

There was not so long ago, still on the 1.3 version, a 1v1 pvp tournament held on the Fatman, the nice thing with that is that you could saw good (if not top, especially for an event like that) players of all classes dueling each other, and you could see the advantages & flaws of the classes, let me just tell ya : Mercs didn't really shine.

And before and genius come here and post: "oh noes, there's no 1v1 on a wz, itz all about teamplaaaay, you need to stay very far away from meleez, class is UBER fine!!!!!" , I would like to say in advance: keep dreaming buddy.

Here's part 1 of that tournament I mentioned:

No I am not agreeing with you. If you know your role and know how to play it, then you do fine. If you don't, then Commando/Merc is not for you. Maybe a one-time AC switch should be made available to you at level 50 or at least as a Legacy perk. Just because you don't like the class or play it poorly, does not mean others experience the same thing. Sure it might need some tweaks, but it isn't TERRIBLE overall.

... Just because you don't like the class or play it poorly

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/screenshot2012100813052.jpg/

This was today, now stop making assumptions, the class if freaking bad.

I would have doubled my score if I was playing as a Sniper/PT/Mara but instead I'm stuck with a class that can't defend himself ALONE against equally skilled & geared Sentinels, Juggernauts, Scoundrels, Snipers, Powertechs, Assassins, and, hell, even Sorcerers.

But you know what? Those classes I mentiond above? They can do that, so what do you bring on the table for your team in the end? Nothing, you're a liability, a free kill, you can shoot from 30m? lmao, once you get targeted doesn't matter if you're 30 meters or 100 meters, you're dead because you can't do anything to save yourself.

Crosservers WZ NOW, I really want these guys to learn a life lesson.

Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP... In any 1v1 fight with anything other than a merc you will lose. Every single decent skill the merc uses has a cast time, and can also be interupted. On top of that, they decreased the range of our stun by 2/3rds? Now the Merc class is even more horrible. You give us an interupt but but nerf our stun? Ridiculous. IT'S A RANGED CLASS! Give us our stun back... If you guys don't find a way to make the merc more competitive in PvP I am going to uninstall because merc is my main. So lets recap. Stun is worthless now, the interupt has a low range and can only be used to interupt certain things, but everything on merc can be interupted... Without a heat signature damage is crap and in PvP there isn't enough time to always get a heat signature on people. I could go on and on, please fix this class....

^

I agree with the op.

Fix our class for pvp, plz

I would have doubled my score if I was playing as a Sniper/PT/Mara but instead I'm stuck with a class that can't defend himself ALONE against equally skilled & geared Sentinels, Juggernauts, Scoundrels, Snipers, Powertechs, Assassins, and, hell, even Sorcerers.

LOL. "Stuck.".

You have this inflated opinion of your own "skills", and you blame your class. Here's an idea: stop waiting for Bioware to help you teach us a life lesson. Roll a fotm class and show us just how great you really are.

Think you're in for a rude awakening.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/screenshot2012100813052.jpg/

This was today, now stop making assumptions, the class if freaking bad.

But you know what? Those classes I mentiond above? They can do that, so what do you bring on the table for your team in the end? Nothing, you're a liability, a free kill, you can shoot from 30m? lmao, once you get targeted doesn't matter if you're 30 meters or 100 meters, you're dead because you can't do anything to save yourself.

Crosservers WZ NOW, I really want these guys to learn a life lesson.

My only assumption is that you don't like that class. I have played the other classes too. I like Commando because it fits me and my play style. I think it is good for its role. It is not good for 1 v 1 and for me that is a challenge. But I am not a dueler or solo player. For me the team aspect is what makes PvP fun.

LOL. "Stuck.".

You have this inflated opinion of your own "skills", and you blame your class. Here's an idea: stop waiting for Bioware to help you teach us a life lesson. Roll a fotm class and show us just how great you really are.

:) i like that, they sit here and complain about the class for months, telling us how bad the class is etc yet they still continue to play it. If your unhappy with it just reroll another class, its that simple and then we dont have to see thread after thread about Merc/commando's.

On another note, BioWare have not been replying to PVP threads just as they dont reply to class forum and even the PTS forum threads, they are not going to change the class anytime soo just for the PVPer's, either reroll or learn to live with the class.

LOL. "Stuck.".

I did reroll, sent over all my WH mods from my Merc to my newly dinged 50 PT and voilá, topped my old dmg record by an additional 140k even when i wasnt 100% familiar with the hotkeys and everything , the only rude awakening i got was to finally realise what utter crap merc is.

On top of that i have a 50 assassin, sage, jug aswell. So i know what i compare with, merc/commando is not viable against good teams.

Also, only use your casting specials when you have the space and time to use them. If you rely on them too much, you will just get stunned, interrupted, etc. repeatedly. No need to stack tracer missle or grav round. Get what you can off on someone, but use your instant casts more. Spam your regular shot while moving, it actually does more damage than you think. And don't waste specials on people with bubbles on them.

Just my thoughts. I am sure many know better than I, but I think with those basic approaches you can do better with your class. There is always a way to do better at your class no matter what it is. Or you could just play FOTM classes like a lot of the haters on here. :p

So, you are telling us they are fine. What non-casting specials do you want mercs to use oh wise one?

If they are not going to fix the class, they should at least give every Mercenary/Commando a free AC respec token. People who have put in the effort to level up a Mercenary/Commando to 50 are entitled to at least that much.

If they are not going to fix the class, they should at least give every Mercenary/Commando a free AC respec token. People who have put in the effort to level up a Mercenary/Commando to 50 are entitled to at least that much.

Meh. I have 7 other toons and can care less. I don't complain often, but experiencing the Mercenary AC, I felt it is only right that I support the others who care about the class when I can honestly see its mediocrity compared to the other classes.

LOL. "Stuck.".

Come roll on the Shadowlands. After I've taught you how to play a Commando properly, I'll introduce you to a Marauder/Jugg/PT or two who will take you apart. Then I'll introduce you to a ranked team or two who will put you in the corner, stick a dunce cap on your head and laugh at you.

I have multiple videos up. Lets see once of yours, master of the commando class. You think you can do better than all these other people? Put up or shut up.

Edited by Jherad

Ok. Ignoring 1vs1; what does a merc offer to a team? What's their specialty?

I can't think of anything I can't do better with another AC.

The fact that the game isn't balanced around 1v1 is obvious when you look at each class. People that equate winning duels as skill are just deluding themselves.

It has more staying power than the other ranged DPS classes and doesn't need babysitting like a Sorc or Sniper does. It also has a pretty decent middle ground between burst and sustained damage. A Sniper can drop a huge amount of burst but if the target survived it (in ranked it's pretty likely that they will, especially with a Sorc or Merc healer), then the Sniper will struggle to sustain that burst and turn it into a kill without running out of energy or burning cooldowns. What a Merc can do what a Sniper can't is sustain a respectable amount of damage to keep a priority target under pressure until the team can focus down the target to finish it. The Arsenal Merc in PvP has a similar ability to the Marauder in that it can keep a target (like a healer or high priority DPS like a Sniper) tied up while being tough to kill (in this case it's Heavy Armour and range. In the Mara's case it's defensive CDs and escape tools), forcing a team to either deal with the threat or let them be free to cause havoc.

Arsenal Mercs also do a fantastic job is drawing fire away from healers. it's surprising as to how many people in Ranked mistake a Tracer Missile for Kolto Missile and try to focus the Merc instead of the Sorc that is really Heal Spec (or just see Merc and assume it's a healer).