Is cheating something I should be concerned about?

LordFell

(people who haven't been in premades with top aces tend to vastly overestimate the amount of tactical coordination that goes on in voice chat. Most of the chatter is pretty irrelevant to the matches unless talking about collectible card game tournements helps win GSF matchs in ways I don't yet understand).

While that might be a random example I do have an answer for that. I played Magic the gathering on a tournament level for a while even when the results where ... mmmh .... nothing to talk about.

Every new tournament you had thousand cards to choose from but at least at my time you were limited to take 75 to a tournament. So event when you considered 300 cards ouf of the thousand tournament viable you still had to find a way to break them down to 75 for a given tournament. And you did that by considering what are you going to face what of that do have to play yourself what do you have to counter and if you have multiple cards fighting over the same roll what is the most usefull option out of that.

Does that sound common? Well the 75 are five in GSF, the five ships that you can put on your bar to select what you take into a match. That's why I don't beleave that nearly every ship is playable. Because your efficency in a game will belimited what you can put on your bar. So it is not about the individual strength of the ships it's about which selection of five will help you in most situations. So if two or more ships compete for the same roll you most likely will only put one of them on your bar to have room for ships covering other rolls even if the individual ships are all good enough to be put on your bar. And at least for Magic the Gathering with big tournaments all around the world this process will be a lot faster than we see it in GSF since 5.5. If you walked through this process for a time you defenitly get another point of view on the importance of the bar compared to the importance of the individual ship.

However after I understand what you talking about lets say before I watched Drakolich stream I didn't expected Verain to be such a trash talker. ("We are the last bomber on the node we have to repopulate the note.")

Forgot something:

That is indeed one of them. I'm working on it but it's slow going because last time I did the maps I had already flown hundreds of games on the map so I knew the map really well. This time I'm both trying to learn the map and map out the DO's at the same time, it's proving difficult.

I noticed as well as I mentoined that I started to find them myself but run into the problem were I have seen one spawn so that I had no chance to confirm or reject if it is a super cluster. So maybe it would be an idea to start a thread after the holidays to work together which points we consider and which not so maybe together we get results father compared to every one trying to do it himself or herself.

I think if you join a random Discord or other VOIP, your mileage may vary.

One of the big things that I find is how immersion breaking it can be to be thinking of someone as an Imperial Agent, and then you get a very real-world accent coming at you. I'm also thinking of some of the Discord channels I've joined while playing League of Legends.... yeah, we're in voice, but we don't know each other, hardly anyone said anything. Or worse, there's a LOT of talking but it's between one of the players fighting with their child-siblings. Probably if you fly with a regular group, you're going to have a much better experience.

...I did have an occasion to tag someone with Rapid Fire Blasters, with Damage Overcharge the other night. Vaporized them in less than a second. It is far more enjoyable being on that side of the equation, but I'm still left with the notion that maybe that's still a little too much.

• 2 months later...
There are plenty of cheaters in Starfighter I see them all the time. Since 2013 I have reported dozens most vanished soon after I reported them never to be seen again. My most recent one was a guy flying a strike in a CTF match so no posibility of damage overcharge. I am tucked up under the satelite in my 100% upgraded 100% shield 100% armor bomber with a health drone out plus a railgun sentry and 2 seeker mines. This dude rolls in reall slowly I shoot him with my heavy cannons for a good 4 seconds the railgun sentry hits him both seeker mines hit him and we are not through his shields yet. He then kills me with 1 shot. Bang 1 blaster bolt and my 100% everything bomber is dead. I have been playing starfighter since Dec 2013 there is no game mechanic out there where he can kill me with 1 blaster bolt. His final line for the CTF match was 24 kills 32 assists 0 deaths he had a nearly 90% hit percentage and somehow only took about 8k of damage so you tell me how this dude isn't cheating.

This dude rolls in reall slowly I shoot him with my heavy cannons for a good 4 seconds

If the player was stationary or moving slowly and you had 4 seconds of time under nose, you should have had enough time to see the kind of ship the player was flying. That might help us figure out if it's mathematically possible using known blaster damage numbers and known buffs.

As an aside, it is certainly possible to miss 4 HLC shots in a row on a target with high evasion, especially if they are strafing slowly and take a while to come into your HLC's firing arc.

If the player was stationary or moving slowly and you had 4 seconds of time under nose, you should have had enough time to see the kind of ship the player was flying. That might help us figure out if it's mathematically possible using known blaster damage numbers and known buffs.

As an aside, it is certainly possible to miss 4 HLC shots in a row on a target with high evasion, especially if they are strafing slowly and take a while to come into your HLC's firing arc.

He was flying a star guard generally not a ship you use for a dodge build. Yes I know about dodge builds have a couple ships set up that way myself but they are generally, not always, scouts. The guy rolled in straight as an arrow I tracked him from 12km into Hlc range when I opened fire he rolled straight through my fire to 3km and one shorted me now there is not a single weapon in this game that can one shot a bomber that is 100% without damage overcharge and since this was ctf there was no damage overcharge.

There are plenty of cheaters in Starfighter I see them all the time. Since 2013 I have reported dozens most vanished soon after I reported them never to be seen again. My most recent one was a guy flying a strike in a CTF match so no posibility of damage overcharge. I am tucked up under the satelite in my 100% upgraded 100% shield 100% armor bomber with a health drone out plus a railgun sentry and 2 seeker mines. This dude rolls in reall slowly I shoot him with my heavy cannons for a good 4 seconds the railgun sentry hits him both seeker mines hit him and we are not through his shields yet. He then kills me with 1 shot. Bang 1 blaster bolt and my 100% everything bomber is dead. I have been playing starfighter since Dec 2013 there is no game mechanic out there where he can kill me with 1 blaster bolt. His final line for the CTF match was 24 kills 32 assists 0 deaths he had a nearly 90% hit percentage and somehow only took about 8k of damage so you tell me how this dude isn't cheating.

This is really bizarre.

I have no idea how someone with a weapon that can do either more than 3500 raw damage per shot, or more than 2000 shield piercing damage per shot, manages to get 24 kills and 32 assists instead of 56 kills and 0 assists. Their ability to not one shot all of the lower health ships is really amazing.

I'm also sad to have missed this game, because I've long though that a Capture The Flag map would be a really cool addition to GSF. So far I've been forced to settle only for TDM and Domination modes though. /sigh

/sarcasm

The not exactly nice, but bluntly honest evaluation is this:

They didn't one shot you with a single HLC shot.

Unfortunately, the kill and assist numbers make quite clear that neither you nor anyone else on your team, was any where near competent enough at GSF to say what actually happened. If you know who shot you, and they're a regular on the forum or the GSF Discord (and with those numbers there's a pretty good chance they are, there aren't a lot of anonymous aces in GSF), and they happen to remember this match, you could PM them and ask how they killed you.

The usual suspect would be that you got hit by torpedoes from two sources at nearly the same time, with maybe an option on some slug railgun hits from a gunship you didn't notice. Or you had a bunch of damage that you hadn't paid attention to and weren't nearly as close to 100% health as you thought you were.

Based on experience I am quite sure that you honestly believe you were one shot with an HLC shot, based on the same experience I am about 99.999% confident that that's not what actually happened. Without a combat log from that match or a video though, there's not enough information in your description for an experienced player to figure out what did go on in that instance.

I don't like being the "mean" experienced GSF player, so I feel like I should say why I'm being a bit mean to you in this post.

It's because you're being rude and insulting.

You got clobbered by a player that was obviously much, much more skilled than you, and your account of what happened displays a high degree of ignorance of GSF mechanics. Claiming that the other player had to have been cheating when you haven't even bothered to develop your own GSF skills is pretty insulting to that player. They used to suck at GSF too, but worked hard to get better. Which is why they beat you, who quite obviously have not done the same.

If you want a kinder response, something along the lines of, "I got clobbered in GSF and I don't understand what happened, please help," would be the way to go.

Edit:

The style of play you describe for your bomber is common enough that experienced players have a slang for it, it's called being a "Tick Bomber". The idea being the bomber sticks to one spot like a tick sucking blood from a host.

It's a frighteningly effective strategy against new players, but the other term that high skilled players have for tick bombers is, "free kill," because it's a very ineffective strategy against a player that knows what they're doing, since the bomber in question is just sitting there, getting shot, and somehow hoping that will work out well for them.

Edited by Ramalina

Yup I'm a beginner no idea how to play. I won't claim to be a good pilot but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 matches flown.

If you don't want to believe that their are cheaters out there fine whatever some people believe the earth is flat too. I have certainly been stomped plenty of times running into grenades or good players and not complained but when something completely out of the ordinary happens yeah I get pisses and report them. Happenend maybe 10 times over the last 5 years I have been playing starfighter.

Keep on thinking whatever you think I don't care I only started flying again for some command xp and have quickly remembered why I quit flying in the first place.

Ill leave one final note I have flown 2-4 matches every single night for the entire 3 weeks since I reported this dude and he has vanished not to be seen again so tell me if he was such a great player not cheating and playing all the time how come I haven't seen him again unless of course he wasn't a great player he was cheating and bw caught him after I reported him.

His post is factual. He's not insulting you, and when he explains that you don't understand mechanics it is because nothing you have posted implies you understand mechanics. It's very standard for beginning players to wrongly estimate time, range, and mechanics of all sorts. Some get rude about it. He's simply being factual.

Splitting fine hairs here, while I didn't technically, "insult," them if you define an insult as calling someone an unflattering name, the overall tone of my post was extremely insulting, which I achieved with a combination of sarcasm, conceitedness, and extreme arrogance. I wasn't being as rude as I could have been, but griffenberg was 100% right that it was a conceited and impolite response.

Even if griffenberg's description screams out lack of understanding of GSF to any experienced player reading it as a matter of factual evidence, it was still very insulting for me to rub griffenberg's face in that in public.

We also all know that unskilled players hate losing ( does anyone like losing), so are generally in a state where they are touchy and react really badly to someone pointing out that they got clobbered because they haven't learned how to play well yet and made a bunch of avoidable mistakes. Giving advice to someone like that calls for the same level of care and tenderness as say, juggling small glass bottles filled with nitroglycerine.

In my little fit of taking umbrage at griffenberg's rudeness, the sort of rudeness which we've all seen in other low skill players wanting help and I know I should have just ignored, I did the equivalent of taking off the padded mitts for nitro-juggling and instead picked up a baseball bat and swung for the fences. Results were predictable, but I was a bit tired and cranky at the time and didn't feel like doing fourth edit for politeness, especially since the first three hadn't really gotten rid of any rudeness, just shuffled it around and made it a bit more indirect. I'm not a good editor late at night.

So Lendul's [now redacted] call on analysis and decorum is[was] spot on, even if he was mixing up griffenberg's and my posts. Though maybe the analysis rating should have been yellow instead of green, because advice or analysis is only any good if it's paid attention to, and if the tone of delivery guarantees that it's ignored, then it's not really a success no matter how accurate or correct it is.

As a matter of etiquette I do owe griffenberg an apology.

I found their posts to be whiny and rude, so I'm not going to give one, but I do owe one.

Yup I'm a beginner no idea how to play. I won't claim to be a good pilot but I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 matches flown.

If you don't want to believe that their are cheaters out there fine whatever some people believe the earth is flat too. I have certainly been stomped plenty of times running into grenades or good players and not complained but when something completely out of the ordinary happens yeah I get pisses and report them. Happenend maybe 10 times over the last 5 years I have been playing starfighter.

Keep on thinking whatever you think I don't care I only started flying again for some command xp and have quickly remembered why I quit flying in the first place.

Ill leave one final note I have flown 2-4 matches every single night for the entire 3 weeks since I reported this dude and he has vanished not to be seen again so tell me if he was such a great player not cheating and playing all the time how come I haven't seen him again unless of course he wasn't a great player he was cheating and bw caught him after I reported him.

You can also use RedFantom's GSF Parser to parse your GSF combat logs to look at how you died. This may provide the evidence you need to prove cheating or improve your skills, if cheating is not apparent

"Cheats" can roughly be divided into hacks and exploits.

During my SWTOR experience, I encountered only one type of hack, and that's a speedhack, in both PVP and GSF.

From technical standpoint based on what we know about the SWTOR client and general game design practices, it makes sense that this is the one of the very few (if not the only) type of hack possible.

There are/were many exploits, however they are generally well known among more experienced players and are (usually) not too much gamebreaking. However they are/were mostly poorly handled by the BW giving some players tremendous advantages.

As for GSF I have yet to see damage/defense related type of exploit. I would get *** type of oneshots often but then I would scroll back and see that I've missed enemy taking damage powerup. I was on the other side a few times to see the next scenario: my mate would pursue enemy, I would load the gunship and hit but not 100%, and my mates blasters would take a kill. this happens so fast and simultaneous that it looks to me like I killed the enemy, but the message says otherwise. I guess in such case the enemy must wonder how the hell could my mates blasters kill him so fast.

• 2 weeks later...