Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I'm a little bit concerned about companion romances, what with the news that individual class stories won't be, in the future. That implies that current companions won't be receiving same-sex romances in the future (Mr. Gonzalez is free to tell me I'm wrong on that assumption, but he won't), meaning that those who have waited for these companions are now left out. I feel that's a shame.

I'm not super disappointed about this in particular.

What gets me is that the content we are getting doesn't seem to be on par with current OGRA romances.

I personally don't think a few flirts/random hook-ups are equal to a full-fledged romance storyline with a companion.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little bit concerned about companion romances, what with the news that individual class stories won't be, in the future. That implies that current companions won't be receiving same-sex romances in the future (Mr. Gonzalez is free to tell me I'm wrong on that assumption, but he won't), meaning that those who have waited for these companions are now left out. I feel that's a shame.

Actually, I don't think there's any implication that current companions will or won't be getting SGRAs. I think the only implication is that there WILL be companion SGRAs in the future; they've rather carefully not indicated anything about WHICH companions. Again, we really need more information.

Actually, I don't think there's any implication that current companions will or won't be getting SGRAs. I think the only implication is that there WILL be companion SGRAs in the future; they've rather carefully not indicated anything about WHICH companions. Again, we really need more information.

I'm in a bad mood at the moment, so I'm naturally seeing the negative in everything, even this.

Of course, the logical course of action after this revelation would be to follow it up with more information and more interaction with the community.

I suppose in a month or two we can go back to asking about companion romances, but Mr. Hickman did say there's the intent to bring in more SGR options, which does possibly imply companion romances, albeit not necessarily with existing companions.

Would be nice if they could do it fairly, and balance out the gay, lesbian and straight woman romance options with those that are already available to straight male characters in the game.

I personally don't think a few flirts/random hook-ups are equal to a full-fledged romance storyline with a companion.

To be fair I don't think they're implying they should be considered so. I think they're getting some content out because it would be wrong to continue to withhold it, and they can't have the whole lot done because someone made a judgement call about how much effort and cost it'd take, and got it wrong.

To me that suggests that they're taking SGRAs very seriously, and want it to be a quality feature before releasing it.

But then I am a critical optimist.

I'm in a bad mood at the moment, so I'm naturally seeing the negative in everything, even this.

Of course, the logical course of action after this revelation would be to follow it up with more information and more interaction with the community.

I suppose in a month or two we can go back to asking about companion romances, but Mr. Hickman did say there's the intent to bring in more SGR options, which does possibly imply companion romances, albeit not necessarily with existing companions.

Would be nice if they could do it fairly, and balance out the gay, lesbian and straight woman romance options with those that are already available to straight male characters in the game.

Yeah. I think your hesitation to be too optimistic is probably quite understandable, considering how long it's been since the last update.

I am so sorry for not being a mood that can be quickly filled with joy. Please, continue to tell me how much of a horrible person I am.

Like I already said, it's nice that we have an answer and it's nice that Mr. Hickman acknowledged our wait.

It was more that people kept saying "this thread is just about yes or no" they get the answer, and I'm saddened that I was right. Even with the answer being yes, it's responce is basically "still not happy" :p

When now, you know it's not being excluded, you can play a game posters are saying they like, knowing the content is going to be in there with the next expansion, and expanded on even more at a later date (no date given for sure, but I also said giving exact dates is just a terrible idea for an MMO dev).

Now a good question after this one, imo, would be "If they did go about making companions SGR, would you be okay with them doing one class at a time in various patches (this doesnt mean one per new patch, but here's a patch and we got this class SGR done) or does you prefere all at once or not at all?"

I'd be okay with them doing it by class in various patches myself.

On this point, it sounds (and this may be wishful thinking more than anything fact based so take the follow with a grain of salt) that they decided to actually deal with the "post-continuity" issue.

To wit: if they're having to devise a way to make specific companions SGR compatible from different points in the story line (to accomodate players who don't want to reroll just to experience the SGRs) it's going to be a hell of a lot more complicated than going back and tweaking the gender checks at the "original" branch points and rewording certain specific cutscenes.

You're right, I shouldn't post on lack of sleep, haha. Forgive me if this ramble isn't terribly coherant, but...it's absolutely possible they are, in addition to having to record the dialogue, working on a way to reset companion conversations. Oh, may I hold out hope it's a function released for all, with a free optional reset via a mailed item or some such? One that leaves them at their current affection, but allows you to redo their conversations up to that point, without gaining affection (to keep it balanced). I missed out on a few screenshots with my first character.

Yeah. I think your hesitation to be too optimistic is probably quite understandable, considering how long it's been since the last update.

Well hey, it's better than:

• Added some [Flirt] options to some NPCs.
  • Included some additional dialogue to some companions.

buried in the patch notes.

It was more that people kept saying "this thread is just about yes or no" they get the answer, and I'm saddened that I was right. Even with the answer being yes, it's responce is basically "still not happy" :p

When now, you know it's not being excluded, you can play a game posters are saying they like, knowing the content is going to be in there with the next expansion, and expanded on even more at a later date (no date given for sure, but I also said giving exact dates is just a terrible idea for an MMO dev).

Now a good question after this one, imo, would be "If they did go about making companions SGR, would you be okay with them doing one class at a time in various patches (this doesnt mean one per new patch, but here's a patch and we got this class SGR done) or does you prefere all at once or not at all?"

I'd be okay with them doing it by class in various patches myself.

Obviously I'd prefer it all to be introduced at once (with the aide of a time machine, preferably one driven by the Doctor), but if Bioware communicate to use that individual class-based patch updates was necessary due to the issues of adding these onto live servers, or whatever, then I could understand, even accept, them being introduced per class (going "derp, because EYE AM BIOWAREH" is not a valid reason, to me).

It's not so much the issue of having or not having dates for MMO development - everyone knows developing on a game that's live is more problematic than one that's still on the internal servers, or that you're developing DLC for - it's their lack of communication that I have a problem with. I suppose that's the dreamer in me that thinks that a game company could come out and say "sorry, we're pretty sure that content X is going to be delayed for a while, possibly a quarter at this rate (because reasons)".

And diddums that we made you feel right. Oh, it's so terrible that a glean of information is considered somewhat unsatisfactory after months of talking and asking about this content, laying out a simple, bullet point list of what we want to know and having a separate thread for NPC Flirts, which are not companion romances.

Edited by Tatile

Well! These are certainly good news. To me, too, this is not exactly what I've been hoping for (at best being "flirts" rather than "romances"), but certainly more than I dared to expect by now ... and more importantly, it entrenches the developers' willingness to support SGR in this game, basically pushing open a door that will be hard to close, no matter how much the haters and bigots rail against it. Given enough time, people will adapt as they always do, so in a way it even promotes acceptance in real-life society, no matter by how small a part.

My Sith Duelist will continue to hold out for Jaesa, but at least I feel a little more optimistic now. :cool:

So ... thanks for the update, and Happy New Year everyone!

On a disappointing note, I just found out that the profanity filter in ingame chat (which I turned off on day one) filters "bisexual." Two steps forward, one step back with my esteem for these guys on this front.
You sure it's not just "sexual", or even just "sex"?

From what I read in the past, wordfilter complaints in online games are often directed against some weird word where the players don't understand what could be wrong with it - when in fact it was just a part of the word that triggered the alarm.

To be fair I don't think they're implying they should be considered so. I think they're getting some content out because it would be wrong to continue to withhold it, and they can't have the whole lot done because someone made a judgement call about how much effort and cost it'd take, and got it wrong.

To me that suggests that they're taking SGRAs very seriously, and want it to be a quality feature before releasing it.

But then I am a critical optimist.

That's possible of course.

But for me (who wants romance content on par with what is in game for companions) this news isn't really anything new...it's more of the same "wait and see maybe".

You sure it's not just "sexual", or even just "sex"?

Further testing shows in fact it is "sex." Which puts players in the odd position of being able to say "****" but not "homosexual." Definitely an oversight in implementation there.

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better.

I guess it's because I know I've got crappy work days ahead of me, but am I the only one a little... underwhelmed?

Well, my first response was the same. I was like "Huh?", then "...Yeah!", then "Oh.... <.<"

But you know, NPC flirts are good for starters, I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic. I mean, my femConsular romanced Iresso, but never took him out to fight, so in a way, that could be quite similar to what might be happening with Makeb and flirt/romance options.

I'm glad to hear they're still working on companion SGRs though, even if they get implemented at a later date. That means there's still hope for my smuggler and Corso. :rolleyes:

Woah woah woah. Cupcakes? I support this idea completely and thoroughly.

In all honesty, as Jeff stated in his blog, apologies for such a delay in an official response, but I'm glad we were finally able to provide it for you. Thanks for your patience through all of this. Here's to a great 2013 for SWTOR and its community!

Thanks and the same to you. Hope to see you around here more often, this, despite the occasional grumpiness, is quite an entertaining thread with a nice bunch of people. And of course *cough*, we're always interested in hearing more about what will be awaiting us in the future. :cool:

Edit: On another note, what a worthy update for the SGR FAQ. I'm willing to call this a milestone, albeit a small one. :p

Edited by Lent_San

Edit: On another note, what a worthy update for the SGR FAQ. I'm willing to call this a milestone, albeit a small one. :p

Read that wrong the first time and thought you were suggesting an blog column on the site which was an SGRA FAQ.

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *nudge nudge*

Of course with all the nudges and hints we've been giving over the past couple of months, the Bioware team are no longer sitting in chairs and all have broken ribs. So instead I shall stroke you gently, thusly:

Read that wrong the first time and thought you were suggesting an blog column on the site which was an SGRA FAQ.

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *caress caress*

Further testing shows in fact it is "sex." Which puts players in the odd position of being able to say "****" but not "homosexual." Definitely an oversight in implementation there.
Well, it's difficult to ban any and all bad words; there will always be more - though I'm sure customer support could be open to suggestions regarding further must-haves.

But hey, at least it means it's not the step back you suspected. :)

Well, it's difficult to ban any and all bad words; there will always be more - though I'm sure customer support could be open to suggestions regarding further must-haves.

But hey, at least it means it's not the step back you suspected. :)

It would be kind of funny if I tried to say homogeneous or homophone and it was filtered. ;) I guess filtering tech is just not very smart.

It would be kind of funny if I tried to say homogeneous or homophone and it was filtered. ;) I guess filtering tech is just not very smart.

This forum's is pretty clever, actually. Can't even use the italics trick. Although it's stupid enough to mute all forms of ***, meaning you can't even use the innocuous and essential "bada@ss" without letter swap.

Edited by Quething

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *nudge nudge*

Of course with all the nudges and hints we've been giving over the past couple of months, the Bioware team are no longer sitting in chairs and all have broken ribs. So instead I shall stroke you gently, thusly:

Which would actually be awesome and really helpful *caress caress*

It'd be great! :) Some place that we can turn to whenever we feel like reading up on what's going on.

An official blog column would be a great option for that.

I feel like a walk through a long dark tunnel has finally come to an end, sort of, and I'm not interested in going back in there ever again. :p *points to sig*

Well played, Bioware. Now the ball is on your side. Treat it well. :cool:

Edited by Lent_San

It's not so much the issue of having or not having dates for MMO development - everyone knows developing on a game that's live is more problematic than one that's still on the internal servers, or that you're developing DLC for - it's their lack of communication that I have a problem with. I suppose that's the dreamer in me that thinks that a game company could come out and say "sorry, we're pretty sure that content X is going to be delayed for a while, possibly a quarter at this rate (because reasons)".

And diddums that we made you feel right. Oh, it's so terrible that a glean of information is considered somewhat unsatisfactory after months of talking and asking about this content, laying out a simple, bullet point list of what we want to know and having a separate thread for NPC Flirts, which are not companion romances.

All that was asked for was a comment "Yes or no" as I was told on a few occaissions. The answer was given, and it was a yes.

My thought on seperating the SGRs by classes, instead of one catch all patch, was the idea that it would be easier to fit in amongst the more proftitable endevours, while still delivering it.

Of course, I'm also for just improving the companions all together. I base part of who I like my character with ont he personality of the companions available.

My SI had the option of Andy (no Talos) and out of the companions that can be romanced, really, Andy just has the better personality even if I'd rather him be a bit more greed oriented like Mako and less driving my character to need to grab the psycho LS/DS options. :p And Ashara...gawd...still meh on her personality. Wonder if we can get some overall personality improvements with the companions if they do implement a SGR option with them.

This forum's is pretty clever, actually. Can't even use the italics trick. Although it's stupid enough to mute all forms of ***, meaning you can't even use the innocuous and essential "bada@ss" without letter swap.

British cuss words tend to be overlooked, because ":rolleyes: oh you silly Brits and your arses and shags and fondleslabs"

Our shorthand for cigarette, though, is still banned. With good reason, those across the pond would be terribly confused.

All that was asked for was a comment "Yes or no" as I was told on a few occaissions. The answer was given, and it was a yes.

That is the intent of this thread - however, that statement doesn't speak for everyone. There are plenty of people that very clearly want SGR to be implemented, whether with new or existing companions, and now that the answer is given, of course everyone wants to know the details. But I think most people are generally satisfied that an answer was given and the anger and frustration has been smoothed over for some. I don't believe we've received 100% of the due clarification on the subject, however.

Let me put it this way: We'd be saying "we want a yes or no" so that we can decide to either just give up and move on or else feel assured that waiting is worthwhile. Not that if we got a yes or no, we'd all just go away and not post any more questions or comments.

Edited by chuixupu

Let me put it this way: We'd be saying "we want a yes or no" so that we can decide to either just give up and move on or else feel assured that waiting is worthwhile. Not that if we got a yes or no, we'd all just go away and not post any more questions or comments.

I guess I just expected a bit more "YAY! An answer!" with some time before "Meh. This answer isn't what I wanted."

Looks like we got news, not 'good' news, but news, so each person can decide for themselves whether to be happy with the fact that there is news, or unhappy with what the news actually was. ZERO companion romances, because of the 'unexpectedly large' amount of time to do them...when it's as simple as getting rid of the gender checks. Obviously most people don't understand that, the casual gamer will believe them when they say things like that because they don't know any better, but the bottom line is they want to give us as little as possible, and for us to be grateful for it. Every other aspect of the game requires no gender check, all the storylines/cutscenes/quests etc. are exactly the same whether you're playing as a male or female, because there's no gender check. Thats the way it would work with the romances as well, if they wanted them to. They obviously don't.

What they're giving us, is the removal of the gender checks for NPC flirts on a single planet, that you can only visit once you're level 50, and paid 10 extra dollars for. Whether its 'a couple' or 'all' of them is not known at this time. Is it better than nothing? Sure, I'm happy to have something instead of nothing. Is it 'much' better than nothing? Obviously not. I was just playing my JK last night, and she was constantly getting hit on by this really annoying dude (who later becomes one of your teammates, whether you like it or not, which I naturally don't), while of course I was hit on not once by Kira or anybody else remotely worth being hit on by. It's downright sickening. And their removing the gender checks on flirt options with maybe one or two (we dont even know how many) female NPCs on a level 50 planet is supposed to be their way of making everything better? If that makes some folks happy, then not just good for them but GREAT for them, because it takes so little to make them happy they must be happy all the time :) . But I want the gender checks removed not just on one planet, and not just on some NPCs. I want the gender checks removed on the companion romances, and eventually the flirts on every planet. That is what would make me happy, and I suspect the same is true for most folks, particularly those in this thread.

To answer one of the previous questions, I wouldn't mind if they patched in the romances one class at a time, and the flirts one planet at a time, so long as it was all done in a reasonably timely fashion. Of course 'reasonably timely' went out the window a long time ago, but you know what I mean :) . The bottom line is we got some news today, horray for news, now the next thing we're waiting for is GOOD news :) . Hopefully we won't have to wait as long as we did before.

I wonder what all of this means for my gunslinger. he's in his lvl 30s now but the story line is 'on hold' at the beginning of nar shadda and I've been ignoring corso's 'pay attention to me, buddy' sign the whole time (because my gunslinger doesn't want him as a buddy -.-)

I'm kinda undecided on what to do now, because especially with corso a part of what I really enjoyed so much about the relationship (my scoundrel is female) is that he's extremely jealous once your affection has reached a certain point, even before you are in a relationship with him. so naturally now i'm wondering if I should still hold off with playing any actual story content and just play makeb with my other chars first and keep on leveling my gunslinger mostly with space missions, warzones and flashpoints - or if I should just wait and see what happens if I flirt with random npcs that my char most likely will never see again (rp-wise I can even justify that. my 'slinger is lonely, after all)

sigh.

either way I'm glad this whole ordeal is finally over and the 'anti-gay' crowd can get used to it. (omg maybe that was bioware's plan all along :p )

Obviously most people don't understand that, the casual gamer will believe them when they say things like that because they don't know any better, but the bottom line is they want to give us as little as possible, and for us to be grateful for it.
I don't know. You could also say they want to give us as much as possible in the shortest amount of time after going FtP. I think this is a matter of interpretation.

What they're giving us, is the removal of the gender checks for NPC flirts on a single planet, that you can only visit once you're level 50, and paid 10 extra dollars for.
They said they're gonna be adding SGR options with NPCs with Makeb. They did not say those would be random NPCs who flirt with anyone. I don't believe that's what they were implying.

To answer one of the previous questions, I wouldn't mind if they patched in the romances one class at a time, and the flirts one planet at a time, so long as it was all done in a reasonably timely fashion.
That I do agree with. ;)