George Lucas rumored to be erasing original trilogy (and he should).

loudent

I have never claimed that midichloreans are the Force, which is why I told you to take ten seconds to click on the damn link. But since you seem incapable of doing that, let me copy-paste for you.

Happy now?

Also, if you'd paid attention to my earlier statement, I sent you that link so I wouldn't have to repeat myself. So of course the quotes are by me, genius.

And what in god's name does your link refute? .

Your link is to a thread that is started by a person that said and I QUOTE

I read that midichlorians are microscopic livin organisms that enables the force. Is there mention that these living organisms also alter your facial attributes when ya fall on the dark side? like red eyes , pale face etc ..

Followed by

I wouldn't except any in depth lore on something Lucas probably thought of while taking a crap reading the morning paper.

Then came a snarky comment and a very very long post by someone defending midichlorians and the misconceptions about them and and several posts after went religious. Just because you can quote 3 posts, 2 of them YOURS to make it sound like "most people" doesnt make it true especially when I am in the middle of talking to people here calling Midichlorians THE FORCE.

Your link, with 1 single person when you exclude yourself does NOT equal MOST PEOPLE thinking the way you do nor does it refute what is being talked about HERE by others. MY link, refutes the assumptions of midichlorians and YES YOU ARE MAKING AN ASSUMPTION AND YOU QUOTED IT.

The problem with midichloreans isn't that there's a scientific explanation for how Jedi use The Force: it's that it's an unnecessary explanation.

That is a personal opinion. And just because YOU dont like details and information and want something left to the imagination...doesnt mean most people do, or that there isnt a need for it.

And yes, I am happy now...are you?

Edited by gregordunbar

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually wouldnt that mean that Anakin goes back and accidently kills his grandfather and sleeps with granny? :p

Well, it is a derivation of two ideas. I suppose to be accurate and true to both stories, he would have to send Obi Wan back, who, in the process of saving Shmi from the bounty hunter, hid Anakin's grandfather on future Alderaan to avoid changing Anakin's future, where he gets blown up by the death star. While consoling Shmi, he ends up sleeping with her, becoming Anakins father.

But that would just be silly. ;)

Edited by Sotaudi

Your link is to a thread that is started by a person that said and I QUOTE

Followed by

Then came a snarky comment and a very very long post by someone defending midichlorians and the misconceptions about them and and several posts after went religious. Just because you can quote 3 posts, 2 of them YOURS to make it sound like "most people" doesnt make it true especially when I am in the middle of talking to people here calling Midichlorians THE FORCE.

Your link, with 1 single person when you exclude yourself does NOT equal MOST PEOPLE thinking the way you do nor does it refute what is being talked about HERE by others. MY link, refutes the assumptions of midichlorians and YES YOU ARE MAKING AN ASSUMPTION AND YOU QUOTED IT.

You know, it's really hard to talk to you when you keep failing to see the forest through the trees. Again, I sent you that link specifically so you could read my comments on what exactly midichlorians changed. It wasn't to give you a consensus on the opinions of everyone or to have you tally who thought what. It was so you could read my comments without me having to type them all over again. This was in direct response to your first comment in this thread:

Speaking of ignorant, what exactly did midichlorians change? Oh wait, nothing. The original explaination of the force by Obi-wan in EP4 was a layman explaination.

Midichlorian is nothing more than a name for an element thus actually giving a DETAIL of HOW the force is an energy field that binds us and penetraits us...by it being an element, a thing with substance and also explains how SOME can touch the force and others cannot, by them having more midichlorians in them forming a stronger connection with the whole.

The problem with so many old-school fanbois is that they just excepted not knowing any real detail in the Star Wars universe and when things got explained they just didnt like it so are pitching a fit about it all.

It doesnt take away from the misticism of the force at all, it ties the spiritual aspect with a tangable explainable science.

The force is a LIVING intelligent element that lives symbiotically with solid lifeforms that can with great numbers communicate with that lifeform. It actually makes sense. And when Lucas tries to get things to make sense, those that like dumbdown, get pissed.

And as per my comments, I explained to you what exactly the midichloreans change. The bottom line is you dropped into this thread pissing and moaning that old-school fanbois are pitching a fit without reason. And whether you agree with it or not, I gave you a valid, very specific reason.

That is a personal opinion. And just because YOU dont like details and information and want something left to the imagination...doesnt mean most people do, or that there isnt a need for it.

And yes, I am happy now...are you?

Of course it's a personal opinion. The thing is, you're personifying the most frustrating hypocrisy of prequel defenders: that if an opinion is dissenting, it's somehow invalid. I don't care that you like midichloreans. Good for you. But stop dismissing the opinions of people that don't like the prequels as unfounded whining simply because we don't agree with you.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

You know, it's really hard to talk to you when you keep failing to see the forest through the trees. Again, I sent you that link specifically so you could read my comments on what exactly midichlorians changed. It wasn't to give you a consensus on the opinions of everyone or to have you tally who thought what.

Did you even bother clicking on the link I gave you? Because you fundamentally misunderstand the problem people have with midichloreans.

There is nothing about what you first said (second quote) that points to "what problems you have" or "what problems some have", its an all inclusive statement, and the link was filled with people with MANY opinions both for and against and defeated your point of trying to include it in the first place.

Your problem is based on personal opinion, one person agreed with you, everyone else had problems based on assumptions OR had no problems with midichlorians and even disagreed with you.

You are trying to fight a statement based on fact (star wars canon) with personal opinion about it...perhaps you cant tell there is no forest to see through because your vision is being blocked by...something. You may assume its whatever you like.

Regarding the topic in question, GL announced that he was planning on "retiring" from big-budget films and focus on indie stuff. As such, he obviously won't be touching anything to do with Star Wars for a while, and thus the rumor is fake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=3

i'm just waiting for him to make a movie titled Blue Moon Harvest.

Story... I guess some people are in it only for the story?

Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story. The sequel to that, and the sequel to that were also pretty good films (although by the third, Lucas' tendency to be more concerned about what furry toy franchise he could shovel off the back of the film was becoming more apparent).

The prequels look fantastic and have some great set pieces and moments, but the scripts are atrocious, the acting mostly duff (not necessarily the actors' faults - after all, Natalie Portman is normally pretty good in films, but Lucas managed to reduce her almost to woodenness), the only person who looks like he's having fun is Ewan McGregor, but that's more in a fourth-wall-breaking "hey I'm in Star Wars!" kind of sense).

There is just no story there, the films are simply badly done, and the anticipated profundity of how a good man can turn evil is turned into an adolescent having a snitty fit.

Looking at the "making of" it became apparent to me that everyone was so pleased to have the gig that nobody was telling Lucas (as people often told him in the previous films, and he often listened) - "hey George, this isn't going to work, maybe do it like this instead?" None of them would say boo to a mouse, and it was all "Yes Mr Lucas, no Mr Lucas, three bags full Mr Lucas".

So although it's basically Lucas' fault, I partly blame the talented people working with him for not having the balls to stand up to him and speak from authority about their special areas of expertise.

Lucas is undoubtedly a genius, but he seems to be the kind of genius who's extremely effective as part of a team, but who makes rubbish if he has everything his own way.

Oh, and yeah ... midichlorians. I should think more nerds groaned in unison in that moment than at any time in history.

Edited by gurugeorge

Well yes, actually, back in the day when "lightsaber duelling" was two guys boringly standing with their swords up Kendo-style, there was this film called Star Wars that got famous not just for its (almost totally non-digital) fx/action, world design dazzle and pizzazz, but also because it had engaging characters, acted by great actors, and a great script with a good story. The sequel to that, and the sequel to that were also pretty good films (although by the third, Lucas' tendency to be more concerned about what furry toy franchise he could shovel off the back of the film was becoming more apparent).

The prequels look fantastic and have some great set pieces and moments, but the scripts are atrocious, the acting mostly duff (not necessarily the actors' faults - after all, Natalie Portman is normally pretty good in films, but Lucas managed to reduce her almost to woodenness), the only person who looks like he's having fun is Ewan McGregor, but that's more in a fourth-wall-breaking "hey I'm in Star Wars!" kind of sense).

There is just no story there, the films are simply badly done, and the anticipated profundity of how a good man can turn evil is turned into an adolescent having a snitty fit.

On an acting level the actors in the new movie are far better, Lucas is a POOR director. Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel mother efing Jackson...CHRISTOPHER LEE!

Your furry comment shows your lack of knowledge about the scripts, before ESB came out Lucas talked about a little furry race he had to leave out of the first film in an interview and need I remind you about JAWAs.

Scripts are atrocious, Harrison Ford told Lucas during the filming of ESB "Look, you can write this bleed but you cant say it". but im sure I was the only one that cringed during the cheezy one liners and the constant repeat of things like "Delusions of grandeur" or when Luke asked "A certain point of view?" as if he was an inbred redneck with an IQ of 12.

You are just pissed because you found out Vader wasnt the SON OF SATAN and became evil for actual realistic human reasons.

You are just pissed because you found out Vader wasnt the SON OF SATAN and became evil for actual realistic human reasons.

Ulic Qel Droma's fall was a better written fall.

Exar Kun's was a better written fall.

Even Jacen Solo's fall was better written, even though it mirrored Vader's greatly.

Mainly, because the characters were written better. They weren't really whiney, but prideful and vain.

Edited by Keihryon

On an acting level the actors in the new movie are far better, Lucas is a POOR director. Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel mother efing Jackson...CHRISTOPHER LEE!

Your furry comment shows your lack of knowledge about the scripts, before ESB came out Lucas talked about a little furry race he had to leave out of the first film in an interview and need I remind you about JAWAs.

Scripts are atrocious, Harrison Ford told Lucas during the filming of ESB "Look, you can write this bleed but you cant say it". but im sure I was the only one that cringed during the cheezy one liners and the constant repeat of things like "Delusions of grandeur" or when Luke asked "A certain point of view?" as if he was an inbred redneck with an IQ of 12.

To be fair to the actors, there was Harrison Ford, that man is a fantastic actor.

As to the furries, I can honestly say that I am not bothered in the least by the Ewoks, and didn't know for years that they had any kind of symbolism attached to them.

You are right that the scripts in all of them aren't the best, but the original cast somehow, miraculously, managed to make it work. I have no doubt that the prequel cast could do the same (I agree that the new actors are as good as or better than the older ones), but they just didn't. Blame it on Lucas's direction if you will (I certainly attribute no small amount to this), but remember that he did "direct" A New Hope.

For Vader's fall, I actually like that he went evil for human reasons, that was a really good move. The problem is that the execution was AWFUL. Anakin was NEVER likeable (I don't blame Christensen for this, I've heard that in other roles he's actually a good actor) and his fall was far too sudden. He was described as being "seduced" by the dark side, and what that brings to mind is that, at least for a while after falling, he would still have regrets about it, not that he would, as the flip of a switch, go from warning the Jedi about his friend being a Sith, to murdering children.

I honestly think that most of the ideas behind the prequels are sound, but they are just horribly presented. Lucas should have just got different people to direct the movies, just like he did in ESB and RotJ.

Edited by MxCNOM

You are right that the scripts in all of them aren't the best, but the original cast somehow, miraculously, managed to make it work. I have no doubt that the prequel cast could do the same (I agree that the new actors are as good as or better than the older ones), but they just didn't. Blame it on Lucas's direction if you will (I certainly attribute no small amount to this), but remember that he did "direct" A New Hope.

Yep and now compare the acting in A New Hope to ESB and RoTJ...A New Hope acting wasnt all that great.

Lucas needs to stay away from directing, stick to writing and producing.

For Vader's fall, I actually like that he went evil for human reasons, that was a really good move. The problem is that the execution was AWFUL. Anakin was NEVER likeable (I don't blame Christensen for this, I've heard that in other roles he's actually a good actor) and his fall was far too sudden. He was described as being "seduced" by the dark side, and what that brings to mind is that, at least for a while after falling, he would still have regrets about it, not that he would, as the flip of a switch, go from warning the Jedi about his friend being a Sith, to murdering children.

I honestly think that most of the ideas behind the prequels are sound, but they are just horribly presented. Lucas should have just got different people to direct the movies, just like he did in ESB and RotJ.

More seduction from the dark side would've been nice; like, when he gives in to rage and kills the Tusken village, or even Dooku, he could remark (as he did with Dooku) that it felt wrong, but maybe also that he felt so much more power, like he could accomplish anything. So there'd be 'doing something I know is wrong' vs 'doing something that gives me more power so I can accomplish my personal goals'. I think that's what George was going for, but not how it came out (like so much of the prequels; I've seen posts laying out how intricate so many plot elements of the PT were, how much depth it seemed to have and they've been convincing; it just wasn't told/shown very well in the films themselves.)

Anakin Skywalker from The Clone Wars is what we should've had in the films, in terms of likability and warring with his darkness. He's a great Jedi Knight, conflicted, but still a hero. Anakin Skywalker in the films was just a whiny obsessive jerk. When Movie Anakin falls, it's abrupt and we don't really 'feel' it because he was never really likable. TCW Anakin being seduced and then falling to the dark side would have resonated more with audiences, probably.

Ulic Qel Droma's fall was a better written fall.

Exar Kun's was a better written fall.

Even Jacen Solo's fall was better written, even though it mirrored Vader's greatly.

Mainly, because the characters were written better. They weren't really whiney, but prideful and vain.

its all opinion based.

Qel Droma's fall to me was generic at best, infiltrate the enemy by prenteding to be a baddie, get injected with "Rage posion" and "really" turn darkside...lol...rage posion.

Kun, yeah good story but no way epic in his fall.

Jacen solo, give me a break. Captured and tortured and brainwashed to be evil...

Becoming Vader for REAL reasons that people can actually identify with if they have ever actually been in love before...epic, because it means even you can prevent forest fires...turn darkside.

Those other guys, cartoon/superhero character reasons for falling.

Which, ironically, is itself a very spoiled tantrum-throwing child's point of view. Lucas does own the story. Get over it.

Yeah, but Lucas was perfectly happy to let all those authors and game developers play in his universe for years, approving of what they did and taking the money of the fans, right up until he wanted to make another set of movies and then realised, "Oh, gee golly; I'm kinda stuck doing what I said was okay to say happened, but I really don't want to do that now. Hey! I'll just ret-con over a decades-worth of rubber stamping and create multiple layers of 'canon' and tell people that only what I write counts as 'real'."

Whininess is apparently a Skywalker trait. Luke was hardly stoic either, before he suddenly and inexplicably became all Jedi-cool in the short time it took to get to Tatooine between ESB and RotJ. How was that in any way more realistic or better written?

Yeah, but Lucas was perfectly happy to let all those authors and game developers play in his universe for years, approving of what they did and taking the money of the fans, right up until he wanted to make another set of movies and then realised, "Oh, gee golly; I'm kinda stuck doing what I said was okay to say happened, but I really don't want to do that now. Hey! I'll just ret-con over a decades-worth of rubber stamping and create multiple layers of 'canon' and tell people that only what I write counts as 'real'."

Flat out lie.

Lucas stated that he used ideas from the novels, how vader ended up in the suit for example and even the scar on Anakins face...

Lucas himself said there are 3 levels of canon.

The movies

The novels

The games and everything else

As it should be and even is with Star Trek...movie canon comes before everything else.

Lucas is God, he created the universe...deal.

So what? That's EU for you...in any fictitious universe with an EU. The worst thing Lucas could have possibly done would be to tie himself to that impenetrable wall of continuity. It would have been artistic and commercial suicide. Not only do I think Lucas had every right to ignore the EU (except the parts he likes, such as Aayla Secura and Quinlan Vos), but I'm eternally grateful that he did. I enjoy it for what it is, but it shouldn't ever become an albatross for the real thing.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Whininess is apparently a Skywalker trait. Luke was hardly stoic either, before he suddenly and inexplicably became all Jedi-cool in the short time it took to get to Tatooine between ESB and RotJ. How was that in any way more realistic or better written?

you think a character maturing over the course of a few years is not more realistic than a character going from Good to Evil in five minutes?

you think a character maturing over the course of a few years is not more realistic than a character going from Good to Evil in five minutes?

Right because Anakin did not wipe out a village of Sand people, women and children or execute Count Dooku...he just went right from good to evil.

Oh and BTW...Luke after going all cool and mature still pulled a "From a certain point of view?" which is just plain derp durp ditty day!

Also, how does one become more Jedi zen without more training? Luke went from little power to being totally wizard.

Edited by gregordunbar

there's an interesting article over a rumor that George Lucas intends to undo the events in the original trilogy and that he should).

The idaa is that some bounty hunters develop time traveling technology and go back and prevent anakin from becoming Darth Vader. I'm assuming this also prevents Palpatine's plans to come to fruition.

Read more here:

How George Lucas May Erase "Star Wars"

I simply call >********<