Gear crafting is truly dead

FragRockKnuckles

If you want to craft for Fun.. that's different and you wont quit at all, crafting for alts or guild mates sometimes is fun.

Many out there want to craft to "be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear". The primary issue is right here...

I truly LOVE to be able to work for others to be more effective, that simply doesn't work with crafting current state and will be even worse if 2.0 goes live as it is now.

Every single patch from the first PTS build onwards pissed me off more than its predecessor and the initial build already was a bad joke. When there's no captain aboard, no one should hope for anything good to happen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many out there want to craft to "be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear". The primary issue is right here....

And you still can, I don't see any difference why you can't still do this... unless is about credits. Again, then re- think what crafting skill are the best now in the market and definitely , you won't make as many credits as you did before.

I truly LOVE to be able to work for others to be more effective, that simply doesn't work with crafting current state and will be even worse if 2.0 goes live as it is now.

Why it doesn't work? if you truly LOVE to do that just ask for the materials and craft items for them FOR FUN.... i think your main point is just the credits but that won't change my friend because devs DO NOT stop making cartel items just to make some crafters get more profits.

And you still can, I don't see any difference why you can't still do this... unless is about credits.

Why it doesn't work? if you truly LOVE to do that just ask for the materials and craft items for them FOR FUN.... i think your main point is just the credits.

Such obsession about credits is insane.

Being actually useful to others > credits, and no, that doesn't work with this game's crafting. It improved a bit with ilvl 61/63 stuff, at least for some professions, but then they decide to redo everything on top of a stupid level cap increase (because, really, it's not a "level cap increase", it's 5 more levels to gain for nothing).

Yes, I crafted some lower level stuff, but it's so limited (mainly some bracers, belts, implants and earpieces, either from Investigation or trainer blue schematics RE'd twice) it's a joke.

Crafting for low level toons is totally pointless because you level too fast : the time it takes to collect artefact materials for one piece will be longer than the time it will take for your customer to resell the now outleveled piece to the nearest vendor, which is an issue since premiums are everywhere and prototypes are readily available for comms or in FPs.

Edited by JMCH

I don't know about that. While yes, all of the points brought up are valid, in regards to the opening statement of the thread, I find that crafting is not dead. That might be due to my pricing system and the minor detail that I only put of blue, purple or orange stuff up on the GTN though. I noticed that a lot of crafters had (and still) put up green items for high prices. What I like to do is put up, say a purple, for the same price. It is generally sold within the day. Okay, so maybe I severely undercut everybody else, but hey, at least other players are getting quality goods. I plan on doing that with lvl 50 colour crystals when I get the chance. . . put them up for maybe 10k instead of the 25k + that everybody else is selling them at.

For my artificer, colour crystals for the lower lvls (45 and down to about 11) are always snapped up. One time I had put up 4 crystals and within not even 5 min, all 4 were gone, sold. Another time, I had my synthweaver craft about 14 items, put them up and away they went in one day. My fledgling armstech can also make a killing off of crafted stuff. . .people seem to like cheap orange pistols and the rest. Cybertech? People do like to have cheap, blue mods. I don't have much to say about the other crafting skills, but those are the ones I have the most experience with.

It's a shame that this is your experience.

Personally, I'm thrilled that I've leveled and unlocked so many schematics for so many professions. Having 11 alts, it's helped cross-gear my own characters and their companions.

I also make money selling things from 10-45, as well as some of the higher end gear. In fact, anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.

I DO THE SAME THING WITH MY 10 ALTS, CROSS CRAFTING, I geared all my companions this way and when i got HK-51 for my lower lvl Alts my Bounty Hunter crafted all the gear and mods well most of the mods for all the HK's....

@JamieKirby, Interesting. I guess this is the source of the issues you've had with crafters?

Let me first say that you are correct, those are vastly inflated prices for level 11 armoring, mods and enhancements. I would never buy those mods, and I also wouldn't sell those level 11 mods at those prices.

But let me also say that new players aren't the intended public for blue mods at that level.

You see, when you first hit Coruscant / Dromund Kaas around level 11, the next few levels go very quickly. Like really REALLY quickly. Any sort of investment in blue mods is going to be wasted as you'll out level them in the blink of an eye.

As well, the mobs and bosses you'll be fighting aren't tuned very tightly. In other words, blue level gear is overkill. Over a year ago, when my Sage hit Coruscant, I bought a set of moddable social gear, and filled it with the super cheap greens from the vendor, costing a couple hundred credits. I also used the planetary commendations to purchase the occasional blue armoring/mod as I completed quests. I spent very little cash.

And yet, I had no troubles fighting enemies as long as they were near my level.

Gearing up in FULL blues at level 11 is like renting a Lamborghini to drive to the grocery store for milk. It's 100% luxury and completely unneeded. The players that are likely to do that are moderately wealthy players who have one (or several) level 50s and are gearing up new alts and mailed them a f**k ton of credits to help them along the way. THIS is the public for whom those blue mods are intended.

Personally, I think it is silly. If I wanted blue-mod-overkill for a level 11 character, I'd craft them myself.

Now, if you feel very strongly that the below level 15 market needs to be overhauled and sell blue gear to new players at a reasonable price, you always have the option to do so yourself.

You do make sense, but this problem occurs throughout the whole leveling bracket and its disappointing that there isn't another avenue to gear up with, considering i am not the crafting type.

You do make sense, but this problem occurs throughout the whole leveling bracket and its disappointing that there isn't another avenue to gear up with, considering i am not the crafting type.

For what it's worth, using the planetary commendations to purchase blue armoring and mods is a good way to get gear.

On my first toon I kept trying to purchase gear and was running out of money. On my second toon I exclusively used mission rewards and planetary commendations and was affluent. By the third toon I decided to see what could be done with crafting for myself and went that way.

Recently, I've been too lazy to crafting gear for companions. On my latest toon (SW) I wanted to switch from Vette to Jaesa, as I liked her character more. This was around level 34 or so. I purchased a set of social gear off the vendor for ~2000 credits, and a full set of at-level blue armoring, mods, enhancements and a hilt (complete set) for approximately 250,000 credits.

Expensive, for sure, but considering that crafting that gear requires

68 Titanium

28 Tatooine Flamegems

Along with all the green mats, that's not that bad a price. When running Underworld Trading or Treasure Hunting missions there are so freaking many companion gift missions, that it takes a loooong time to find the missions you need to get those materials. I wouldn't be but a bit surprised that in the time it would take me to run all the missions to get all the necessary materials I could have made over 150k credits merely from running AT LEVEL missions.

So what I paid for was mainly a time-saver.

As well, because blue gear is so powerful, I was able to leave her in that gear for another 6 levels before I felt like she wasn't hitting hard enough and needed some more juice.

Edited by Khevar

Crafting gear has never been alive.

alts are in constant need for mods and stuff..

Yeah, but not GEAR. There is use for armorings, mods, enhancements and the like for alts (and those still sold on the market back when I was still playing), but not unmodifiable gear.

Edited by Karkais

Yeah, but not GEAR. There is use for armorings, mods, enhancements and the like for alts (and those still sold on the market back when I was still playing), but not unmodifiable gear.

You know why that is right? crafters can't really overcharge by much at all, while mods that constantly need updating tend to sell them for vastly over the true value of the item, i know crafters need to make a profit, but damn, its overkill what most tend to charge for things that do not cost that much to craft.

i've had issues with the crafting ever since the game launched, and yes, like countless others i have sunk a lot of time and money into crewskills, but as a general rule, it was poorly thought out from the start, and made worse ever since.

take armormech or synth for example, vendor schematics which stopped at level 49, when the game starts with a level cap of 50, rediculous, not to mention the huge gaps in craftable gear while levelling, usually 6 levels between new pieces, no chance of making a complete same level set of anything except custom gear, which wasnt even full sets at the beginning, but atleast we could crit craft things with augment slots, they always sold well, until you could add augments slots to any piece of armour...

ofc, the bonus for these 2 crewskills was the rakata belt and bracers you could make, which was bop, so u couldnt sell them, or even make them for your own alts, but are now not even the best in slot for the crafters little bonus, the armour sets have moved on, the crafters havent, whoever decided what the crafting should be like in SWTOR should be made to wear a pink tutu and pointy dunce hat to work for the remainder of their employment until they get the idea that crafters are just as important as the rest of the players

For what it's worth, using the planetary commendations to purchase blue armoring and mods is a good way to get gear.

On my first toon I kept trying to purchase gear and was running out of money. On my second toon I exclusively used mission rewards and planetary commendations and was affluent. By the third toon I decided to see what could be done with crafting for myself and went that way.

Recently, I've been too lazy to crafting gear for companions. On my latest toon (SW) I wanted to switch from Vette to Jaesa, as I liked her character more. This was around level 34 or so. I purchased a set of social gear off the vendor for ~2000 credits, and a full set of at-level blue armoring, mods, enhancements and a hilt (complete set) for approximately 250,000 credits.

Expensive, for sure, but considering that crafting that gear requires

68 Titanium

28 Tatooine Flamegems

Along with all the green mats, that's not that bad a price. When running Underworld Trading or Treasure Hunting missions there are so freaking many companion gift missions, that it takes a loooong time to find the missions you need to get those materials. I wouldn't be but a bit surprised that in the time it would take me to run all the missions to get all the necessary materials I could have made over 150k credits merely from running AT LEVEL missions.

So what I paid for was mainly a time-saver.

As well, because blue gear is so powerful, I was able to leave her in that gear for another 6 levels before I felt like she wasn't hitting hard enough and needed some more juice.

I just buy the greens now-a-days, i just don't bother with anything above green, except for the weapons, which can be fully affordable via commendations.

11 per weapon, so thats either 22 or 33 per planet, which is easily do-able, except for Quesh, which will be solveable in 2.0 with the combining of all planetary commendations, though, while right now, there is no limit per week, in 2.0, the limit will be 50 per week, abit too low for leveling, unless its current limit is a PTS thing.

Quite true!

I tried selling green and blue level 11 crafted gear for dirt cheap (about 1,500 credits) on the market.

I haven't priced a crafted item yet at $10K or more.

I would like to thank you and all other crafters that put cheap blue level enhancements on the GTN. I regularly buy those up and resell them for over 15k a piece. Just have to know what enhancements sell and which ones don't.

I would like to thank you and all other crafters that put cheap blue level enhancements on the GTN. I regularly buy those up and resell them for over 15k a piece. Just have to know what enhancements sell and which ones don't.

You can only do that because crafting is dead. There aren't enough low level enhancements being crafted to prevent you from doing exactly that, which would be the case with a healthy crafter-based economy.

Instead, we have a terrible rare-drop/cartel items-based economy.

It was for that short time when you wanted a aug orange gear you had to crit on crafting it, not use a kit. At that time the orange crafted gear and pvp sets were selling.

Crafting is only dead if you specialize in crystals, speeders and BiS-only item modifications (2.0 change). I just got into crafting heavily, mostly to gear my own alts, but I have found success selling many, many mid level green, blue, and purple modification items (hint: advanced skill barrel does very well, with all those folks leveling snipers and drooling over thier 2.0 fotm-ness), stims, augments and kits, and yes, even orange moddable gear. I've sold recently, for instance, at least 10 marauder's boots at an average of 7k each with excess mats. I know, this is not making me rich in each sale, but when you sell a lot of items in the 5 to 20k price range it starts to add up.

I do have quite a few alts, with maxed crafting and gathering skills, and I do have the opportunity to farm a lot of mats to feed my more valuable crafting skills, but... The idea that crafting is dead it just isn't true imo.

Crafting is only dead if you specialize in crystals, speeders and BiS-only item modifications (2.0 change). I just got into crafting heavily, mostly to gear my own alts, but I have found success selling many, many mid level green, blue, and purple modification items (hint: advanced skill barrel does very well, with all those folks leveling snipers and drooling over thier 2.0 fotm-ness), stims, augments and kits, and yes, even orange moddable gear. I've sold recently, for instance, at least 10 marauder's boots at an average of 7k each with excess mats. I know, this is not making me rich in each sale, but when you sell a lot of items in the 5 to 20k price range it starts to add up.

I do have quite a few alts, with maxed crafting and gathering skills, and I do have the opportunity to farm a lot of mats to feed my more valuable crafting skills, but... The idea that crafting is dead it just isn't true imo.

Interesting. With the cheap social and adaptive gear, I did not think that the low level oranges would still be selling that well. I have the silliest looking companions at 10 since they are all dressed in social gear which I replace with my own crafted oranges (or drops) as they progress.

You are right in that the 5 to 20k sales do add up, especially when the mats are cheap and easy to obtain so there is low overhead.

I will take a look at the barrels. My armstech crafts for my (and family's) companions and alts, and does very well with his gathering skills (bio and dip), but has not crafted anything for sale in a long time. I had a couple of extra vibroknives (beautiful purples) recently and could not give them away.

Edited by asbalana

That doesn't bother me one bit, Vishnell. I get what I need from them, others get them at a good price, and you play the game you prefer (I'd rather spend my time doing things other than scanning the GTN, but that's just me). If players are willing to pay inflated prices, then that's their problem, not yours.

most people only care about level 50 crafting and totally ignore 10-49. this is why some of us make millions of credits and why the rest start threads like this.

so true.

lower level mods, implants and earpieces sell well. so does other items too like some orange gear. you just have to price them right. also stay away from purples as greens and blue suffice for most while leveling alts.

most people only care about level 50 crafting and totally ignore 10-49. this is why some of us make millions of credits and why the rest start threads like this.

because they are looking to make it big on one or two sales, the 10-49 bracket is all about volume sales. Though I have found people putting things on the GTN far too below cost, buy them up and hold them until the price comes back up to above cost and feed them back into the market. The biggest markup I have right now, is anything to do with leveling a sniper. (ears, implants, skill armor, skill mods, and barrels) and augments in those ranges. when the new packs come out, I always watch that stuff too, cartel speeders were down to 2k each on shandowlands when people were trying to get the revan gear and new chairs. Now they are at 8k, nice profit.

I might be one of the few people who plays the "Crafting" game 90% of the time while in this game :p

( since I've been playing since pre-launch and already leveled 10+ level 50's on both sides )

I've been making about a million credits per week on a constant basis since last summer crafting mid-level (late teens to late 30's) Purple Synthweave and Armormech Armors, Purple Armstech Weapons, Purple Biochem Implants, and Purple Augments from all three crafting skills.

All I craft and sell are Purples (maybe a few blues left over from a RE)

The Level 9 - 15 Purple Armors are mostly bought by Twinks for their toons who are starting PvP, but they don't sell that well and the profit margin is relatively small.

The level 20's - Mid 30's Purple Armors sell the best, and I would usually craft between 5-10 each of Light, Medium and Heavy - Bracers, Belts, Gloves, Boots, Chest, Legs, various weapons and Implants per day, and they usually sell out before they expire on the GTM.

I sell these anywhere between 12k-20k each (not too low and not too high) and the profit margin for these is around 10k-17k each, so that comes to about 200k-300k profit per day.

Edited by nattodaisuki

I might be one of the few people who plays the "Crafting" game 90% of the time while in this game :p

( since I've been playing since pre-launch and already leveled 10+ level 50's on both sides )

I've been making about a million credits per week on a constant basis since last summer crafting mid-level (late teens to late 30's) Purple Synthweave and Armormech Armors, Purple Armstech Weapons, Purple Biochem Implants, and Purple Augments from all three crafting skills.

All I craft and sell are Purples (maybe a few blues left over from a RE)

The Level 9 - 15 Purple Armors are mostly bought by Twinks for their toons who are starting PvP, but they don't sell that well and the profit margin is relatively small.

The level 20's - Mid 30's Purple Armors sell the best, and I would usually craft between 5-10 each of Light, Medium and Heavy - Bracers, Belts, Gloves, Boots, Chest, Legs, various weapons and Implants per day, and they usually sell out before they expire on the GTM.

I sell these anywhere between 12k-20k each (not too low and not too high) and the profit margin for these is around 10k-17k each, so that comes to about 200k-300k profit per day.

This thread has become really good in the sense that I find it fascinating to see other people's approach to the gtn and read what they are crafting and putting up for sale. Based on lamef's post above, I crafted and listed a number of blue barrels yesterday and it will be interesting to see if they sell.

I find your approach interesting because I can't remember the last time I tried to sell a purple gear piece and would think that with the adaptive and social moddable gear available (toss in the orange as well) that purple gear would not sell at all. Although far from my main focus, I do sell implants from time to time (keep your offerings diversified), but only the blues. I tend to stay away from the purples in anything for sale purposes because the mats are a choke point and the pricing differential between blues and purples is very large considering the stat differences (especially at the lower to mid levels) and the purps are not really needed. It is not clear to me who would be buying the 20 to 30 level purple gear.

Good on you, 2 to 3M a week in the under 27 market is an accompllishment and not chump change at all,

This thread has become really good in the sense that I find it fascinating to see other people's approach to the gtn and read what they are crafting and putting up for sale. Based on lamef's post above, I crafted and listed a number of blue barrels yesterday and it will be interesting to see if they sell.

I find your approach interesting because I can't remember the last time I tried to sell a purple gear piece and would think that with the adaptive and social moddable gear available (toss in the orange as well) that purple gear would not sell at all. Although far from my main focus, I do sell implants from time to time (keep your offerings diversified), but only the blues. I tend to stay away from the purples in anything for sale purposes because the mats are a choke point and the pricing differential between blues and purples is very large considering the stat differences (especially at the lower to mid levels) and the purps are not really needed. It is not clear to me who would be buying the 20 to 30 level purple gear.

Good on you, 2 to 3M a week in the under 27 market is an accompllishment and not chump change at all,

Well, i personally prefer the non-mod based gear because most of the time they tend to be more realistically priced, considering even if i paid 2k per piece of gear, i would still need to buy armorings, mods and enhancements and they tend to go for between 8k, right up to 25k each and that is just too much and this is like level 11 to level 15.

The mods department tends to be severely overpriced, though i tend to avoid buying purple crafted gear since you tend to change the gear very commonly, but it also depends on how much you charge for the gear, cause paying 30k for a piece of gear in the teen levels is just too much, unless it has uber stats that won't be replaced for 10+ levels.

It has probably been said already but Legacy killed non-mod crafting. It also killed the GTN balance in the sense that a truely new player can't afford to buy the things we took for granted back in Dec 2011 and the following 4 or so months. Is it reasonable that the only implants available at lvl 21 are purples and that a pair costs +50K (this happens)? That's not what the market looked like 14 months ago.

If i totally ignored legacy and the cash shop as sources of income on a new character I'd be forced to play every side mission on every planet to keep myself somewhat geared (moddable). I would not be able to do it through GTN.

Edited by MidichIorian