Ranked PVP (rewards) and Bioware their support

Scriffle

- nobody wanted arenas

That's a mighty wide brush you paint with. Arenas are fun and are, if we're being honest, the most fair way to apply rankings. Seriously, if someone sits on node, guarding it, in Civil War, they will get no MVP votes. They're doing an essential job, but they get squat for doing it. How do you fairly determine someone's performance in the larger WZs? Not easy. And I can think of many more examples that fit into this.

Long story short, pull your head out and look at things from another perspective. They make a surprising amount of good sense.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go read some tooltips.

Oh gee, thanks for the helpful tip. I do read the tooltips, FYI.

The only relic that might trigger without any direct action by player or attack on that particular player is the healing relic proccing from the heal while in cover talent... which is kinda stupid for sniper...

- preseason lasted over a year

yeah...fail

- when they switched to season 1, they removed 8v8

- no reason other than e-peen to do it

- no incentive

- no rewards

- no daily/weekly

- no class balance

- no match making

all legit fails

- nobody wanted arenas

not true, even a little bit. don't mix up your fails. this one ain't bioware's fault.

Don't blame the players for Bioware's **** ups.

It falls on the shoulders of Bioware, sure. But...don't say nobody wanted arenas. Plenty of people asked for them, and enjoy them. It's just a poor implementation I think. FWIW, I enjoy arenas in regs, but in Ranked, it just magnifies minor class imbalances a bit too much. I prefer objective style warzones, but arenas have their place. Don't eliminate! Improve :)

5char

That's a mighty wide brush you paint with. Arenas are fun and are, if we're being honest, the most fair way to apply rankings. Seriously, if someone sits on node, guarding it, in Civil War, they will get no MVP votes. They're doing an essential job, but they get squat for doing it. How do you fairly determine someone's performance in the larger WZs? Not easy. And I can think of many more examples that fit into this.

Long story short, pull your head out and look at things from another perspective. They make a surprising amount of good sense.

Pull my head out of what?? And who's perspective am I supposed to look at it from? Bioware's?

You highlight the main issue most people have with WZ's (not wanting to guard), yet you think 4v4 Arena's was the BEST way to solve the problem? Nobody was asking for smaller scale PvP...people wanted BIGGER scale PvP and MORE maps. Arenas suck. They may serve a purpose during slow periods, but when you can't get more than 4 people per faction to queue for PvP, there's another issue that should be addressed.

Pull my head out of what?? And who's perspective am I supposed to look at it from? Bioware's?

You highlight the main issue most people have with WZ's (not wanting to guard), yet you think 4v4 Arena's was the BEST way to solve the problem? Nobody was asking for smaller scale PvP...people wanted BIGGER scale PvP and MORE maps. Arenas suck. They may serve a purpose during slow periods, but when you can't get more than 4 people per faction to queue for PvP, there's another issue that should be addressed.

Fine. Explain to me, in great detail, how ranked should work in standard WZs. My mind is open. Wow me.

Fine. Explain to me, in great detail, how ranked should work in standard WZs. My mind is open. Wow me.

How are we gonna 'wow' a pve carebear? You clearly have no intention for a mature discussion and you have no experience or knowledge in and of the pvp community.

Edited by SW-TORtanic

Ranked was working better in standard WZ's than it currently is in Arenas. Neither are what I think they should have done though. For Ranked, they could have simply done what they just did for GSF - introduce a pure DM mode of the same maps since you seem to think guarding was the big issue. I think they should have invested the arena resources into more maps...variety is what I feel is drastically missing from PvP (ranked or unranked).

How are we gonna 'wow' a pve carebear? You clearly have no intention for a mature discussion and you have no experience or knowledge in and of the pvp community.

And you have no clue what you're writing about. Practically all I do is PvP. But, thanks for the attempted troll. Better luck next time.

5char

Fine - Nobody I know wanted arenas. Nobody I know, ever asked for them. Nobody I know ever suggested them. They were very much a waste of Dev resources (imo of course...please read ALL of my comments as being MY OPINION). They can be fun...I won't argue that, but they aren't what PvP needed (imo).

Same format as previously...just end preseason and get into the legit rewards.

Expand maps, expand gametypes, sure include arenas who cares.

Just not letting it squander and die...there's your great detail. All that's needed...just some attention and love. :)

Fine - Nobody I know wanted arenas. Nobody I know, ever asked for them. Nobody I know ever suggested them. They were very much a waste of Dev resources (imo of course...please read ALL of my comments as being MY OPINION). They can be fun...I won't argue that, but they aren't what PvP needed (imo).

Well extrapolating common opinion from the small subset of people YOU KNOW is a poor way to begin an argument. It also sets you up for having your arguments ignored.

Ranked was working better in standard WZ's than it currently is in Arenas. Neither are what I think they should have done though. For Ranked, they could have simply done what they just did for GSF - introduce a pure DM mode of the same maps since you seem to think guarding was the big issue. I think they should have invested the arena resources into more maps...variety is what I feel is drastically missing from PvP (ranked or unranked).

No, I said guarding is ONE of the issues. Something I've noticed is that a lot of players don't realize or care about the importance of objectives. To me, the person who takes a bunch of deaths because they are the only one trying to cap a node is more valuable than the DPS who just sits an d waits for the opposing team to run back to the fight. That person might get a ton of medals and a high kill count, but the one who was actually trying to win is more valuable, in my eyes. Some people just toss the MVP to the person who healed the most. Some to the one who has the most medals. Rarely, someone gives a vote to the person with the most objectives points.

Arenas remove the ambiguity. On a small team, with the only objectives being to kill and not get killed, the team members will know full well who played the biggest roll in a victory or who tried hardest in a crushing defeat.

Same format as previously...just end preseason and get into the legit rewards.

Expand maps, expand gametypes, sure include arenas who cares.

Just not letting it squander and die...there's your great detail. All that's needed...just some attention and love. :)

Honestly, I can see the value in this more than simply removing arenas, as some people suggest. Keep everything the same as it is in unranked and let the chips fall where they may. With arenas in the mix, it would at least balance things out a little bit. Still not the ideal solution, but the best one I've seen so far.

Are you doing regular WZs as well now? (genuine curiosity) I know you once said you left WZs and only did arenas.

Yes. It didn't take too long to accept the regular WZs. I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me. Except Huttball. Huttball can suck an egg.

Yes. It didn't take too long to accept the regular WZs. I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me. Except Huttball. Huttball can suck an egg.

Glad to hear that! In that case, I'll shut up about Arenas. If they converted even a few non-PvPers into PvPers, they may have been a good addition after all.

Huttball is love/hate. The games you win 6-0 I freaking LOVE! The ones I lose 0-6, I freaking HATE! It's an interesting WZ for sure.

Huttball is love/hate. The games you win 6-0 I freaking LOVE! The ones I lose 0-6, I freaking HATE! It's an interesting WZ for sure.

I like the ones that are down to the wire and determined by the last team to hold the ball. Feels way more intense.

I was under the impression that people are rewarded according to their bracket(determined by rating) at the end of the season. Did I just imagine that or is that the case?

I'm not sure if we know even that much...do we? Unlike event rewards or Reputation rewards, we haven't been told much of anything about Ranked PvP rewards except that there will be some. It's too bad too...they should have used the Ranked PvP rewards as incentive, just like they use Reputation rewards as incentive.

I'm not sure if we know even that much...do we? Unlike event rewards or Reputation rewards, we haven't been told much of anything about Ranked PvP rewards except that there will be some. It's too bad too...they should have used the Ranked PvP rewards as incentive, just like they use Reputation rewards as incentive.

Did a little searching and found this

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20131107

So they divide us into tiers/brackets to determine rewards, but that's all we know.

I like the ones that are down to the wire and determined by the last team to hold the ball. Feels way more intense.

If I'm going to suffer through Huttball, this is what I want. Yes, it is fun to stomp another team, but that's true in any WZ. I like competitive matches, though. It's fun when everybody is giving their best effort up until the bitter end.

Edited by AlienEyeTX

However I am disappointed with PVP community .I remember so many PVP guys shouting for ranked PVP. Now it is here and most of them are chickened out. Why, because it is difficult to beat another good PVP guy and they will really see they are not as good as they thought. It is not as easy beating a L25 in Tatooine. or a PVE guy in Gree event.

I believe, even if they bring cool rewards, that community will find a way to complain and not play.

/agree. Serious PvP'ers are not found in MMORPG's. MMORPG is the griefers playground, always has been.