Cross Server GSF?

dancezwithnubz

I realise it would require a fair bit of development to implement, but the rewards would be so worth it.

imagine, the ENTIRE SWTOR community of GSF pilots throwing down against each other.

Queues would be much shorter for a start. The much bigger 'player base' that every pilot now has access too makes a Ranked or matchmaking system much more effective.

I think both GSF and ground PvP would benefit from this.

I realise it would require a fair bit of development to implement, but the rewards would be so worth it.

imagine, the ENTIRE SWTOR community of GSF pilots throwing down against each other.

Queues would be much shorter for a start. The much bigger 'player base' that every pilot now has access too makes a Ranked or matchmaking system much more effective.

I think both GSF and ground PvP would benefit from this.

Totally agree...

But unfortunately, this has been suggested multiple times. With nothing from the Dev's about it, I fear it is falling on deaf ears.

• 1 month later...

I wonder how long it will take until now GSF matches will open on my server, haven't seen a single ranked PvP game in weeks (or heard anybody else getting one). And GSF will surely slowly also lose players when the novelity wears off.

I really cannot understand how BioWare can think that SWTOR still doesn't need crross server matchmaking.

There's no such thing as "can't be done" when it comes to software -- just "not worth the time and money".

True. Wishes my google powers were working right now so I could pull up the quote(believes it was during a Q&A at one of the Cantina tours). Regardless, if they are not going to do it for the ground pvp which has been around longer and is arguably still more popular, they are not gonna do it for GSF. Remember folks, we all use the same engine.

Cross-server queues in PvP only makes sense if you still separate the European servers from the U.S. servers. In PvP - and probably even more in GSF - every millisecond counts, and I don't want to fly against people with a ping of 200 ms.

Regarding the technical possibility of implementing cross server queues, I agree that there are only a few things that are technically impossible to do when it comes to software. However, some things are limited by physics or simply logic. For example, you can't sort any random list of items in O(1) (meaning constant time, regardless of the number of items).

Performance can also be limited by existing conditions or restrictions. For example, right now, I get ingame mail, guild chat, zone chat, whispers, friends list and guild list notifications, etc. even when I'm in a GSF match. Will that still happen when I'm playing with people from other servers? If guild members are playing on all kinds of different servers, will they have to send all those messages and notificatiosn around to other servers or new cross-server instances? Would people complain if the developers decided to not send those messages around, meaning you won't get guild chat when you're participating in a cross-server match?

Other existing restrictions may also be a problem. One example would be character names that are currently unique on a server. What happens if you want to queue two identical names from two different servers? I'm not saying that this is impossible, but they would have to implement a workaround for that scenario (like adding server name behind character names).

I am aware that other games have cross-server queues. I don't know what restrictions are involved and how chat behaves in those games. But if your car runs on gas you can't just say that you want it to run on hydrogen just because other cars run on hydrogen. Sure, you can modify your car to be able to run on hydrogen, but you might as well buy a new car, because such a modification won't be cheap.

...I am aware that other games have cross-server queues. I don't know what restrictions are involved and how chat behaves in those games. But if your car runs on gas you can't just say that you want it to run on hydrogen just because other cars run on hydrogen. Sure, you can modify your car to be able to run on hydrogen, but you might as well buy a new car, because such a modification won't be cheap.

It's absolutely doable. The main issue, likely, is whether they want to put forth the effort to make it happen. I don't know about the other players here, but I for one am profoundly wearying on 15 to 20 minute queue times.

Edited by Volthammer

It's absolutely doable. The main issue, likely, is whether they want to put forth the effort to make it happen. I don't know about the other players here, but I for one am profoundly wearying on 15 to 20 minute queue times.

"It's absolutely doable" is a bold statement, unless you know the details of their hardware and software infrastructure. Another example from RL would be building a house. You build a foundation to support a 5-level house. If you suddenly decide to put another 5 levels on top you may get problems. If the foundation isn't build for that kind of expansion it won't be possible without changing the foundation. And I simply don't know if the foundation of this game (not the engine, rather the infrastructure, which is more basic) can support cross-server queues.

Changing something about the game (software) is relatively easy. They can add features, remove them, go back to an older version if problems come up during testing. But changing hardware, network infrastructure and database designs are a totally different story.

I am not saying they can't do it. The fact that they made GSF still amazes me. But I wouldn't dare say, "they definitely can do it, they are just too lazy". I simply don't know if it's possible or not. But I can think of several reasons why it wouldn't be possible.

Of course, given enough time and resources, they could do all kinds of things (well, getting rid of lag is not possible due to physics), but that would perhaps be better spent on other items on the players' wishlist.

"It's absolutely doable" is a bold statement, unless you know the details of their hardware and software infrastructure. Another example from RL would be building a house. You build a foundation to support a 5-level house. If you suddenly decide to put another 5 levels on top you may get problems. If the foundation isn't build for that kind of expansion it won't be possible without changing the foundation. And I simply don't know if the foundation of this game (not the engine, rather the infrastructure, which is more basic) can support cross-server queues.

Changing something about the game (software) is relatively easy. They can add features, remove them, go back to an older version if problems come up during testing. But changing hardware, network infrastructure and database designs are a totally different story.

I am not saying they can't do it. The fact that they made GSF still amazes me. But I wouldn't dare say, "they definitely can do it, they are just too lazy". I simply don't know if it's possible or not. But I can think of several reasons why it wouldn't be possible.

Of course, given enough time and resources, they could do all kinds of things (well, getting rid of lag is not possible due to physics), but that would perhaps be better spent on other items on the players' wishlist.

I do relational database building, and have to say that as long as you do the schema on either a board or a piece of paper (to be able to visualize such an abstract concept) and implement testing in a sandbox / isolated environment, the changes could be implemented in a patch update (assuming that the construction of such a database is conceived and created with relative ease, which nothing ever is in the IT world).

• 4 months later...

The more dev hours they spend on housing and random cosmetic re-skins of existing gear the more annoyed I get. :mad:

It can't be THAT hard to implement cross server queues. Heck, I'd code it for them if I could it's probably the best thing that could happen to this game.

~zvbm

I live on the west coast. daily on east coast servers. I also have played on the european servers and have never had a lag issue.

Yes, I can confirm. I play from Munich on Bastion and Red Eclipse. No problems.

Yes, I can confirm. I play from Munich on Bastion and Red Eclipse. No problems.

I play with a 22 ms lag on east coast. On west, it becomes 100ms. This is on a 101Mbps connection. There is a difference between servers, however it's to the extent of a 10th of a second. This would not be detrimental, however I'd still prefer a .02ms :) Make it so!

I wonder if something like a "Call of Duty" style client hosted matchmaking would be easier and cheaper to develop so that everyone in the game can play together?

It may not give the best experience ping wise, but it could be adapted to normal pvp too?

• 2 weeks later...