Scoundrel or Gunslinger?

Nerifes

I have played Sniper up to war hero however I disliked how I played in PvP.

I now rerolled on a new server and am unsure whether to make a new gunslinger (playing republic this time) or go scoundrel.

I'm looking to be DPS however the healing seems to be needed so that's why I was leaning towards scoundrel.

Can scoundrels dish out good enough DPS to be considered DPS in an 8-man strat?

I can't reply based on scoundrel dps but from the threads I've seen "dream rated dream/ what's your make up for rated look like" I haven't seen to many ppl picking scoundrels to dps. Take that for what's its worth and if u didn't like the sniper playstyle in pvp will gs be any better? :p

I got to level 18/Taris on my scoundrel and rerolled a gunslinger. I felt very ineffective, perhaps it was because I just finished an Imperial agent sniper to level 50. I could get some crazy dps out of my agent. With my scoundrel I just didn't feel very effective in a fight.

I can only say what I can basing my info off of the Operative (Scoundrel's mirror) and say this: Healing is superb, they're a HoT focused healer, and their DPS is pretty good from my understanding. I just ran around killing crap while my healing companion kept me up.

And on another note, you probably don't want to go Gunslinger if you don't like Sniper, they're pretty much the same class, except they have dual pistols.

If you want to go dps and be usefull in endgame ops or pvp, slinger 100%. If you want to be kicked out of ops and be useless at 50 bracket pvp then scrapper is the way to go.

If you want to heal look no further than sawbones.

I hope that cleared things up.

Gunslinger for DPS, Scoundrel for heals... although if you dislike your Sniper you'll not like a Gunslinger (and so should look elsewhere entirely.) Gunslingers are far from useless in Warzones, you just need to be playing the right spec and know what your role is (kill everything from a corner.)

Yeah, like the others said, Gunslinger = Sniper in every way. There is no difference except in the animations and the names of abilities.

However, I will say that I do some epic damage on my 'slinger. But here's the thing... Gunslingers are best when they are ignored. The times I've done best in PvP is when I was up above or behind them. Ignore me, and I will f you up.

And in PvE? Forget about it. If I get a good source of cover to protect from ranged attacks (and so long as the tank grabs the aggro from melee mobs), I will pound the enemy bosses like nobodies business. Once or twice even out-tanked the tank (while in cover).

I love my Scoundrel. Once you get Gus, Shoot First, and Flechette Round, you can mow through groups with ease.

And the power to exit a bad pull mid fight can't be beat.

Easily my favorite class in the game, and i have played them all.

Well, gunslinger is just a mirror or sniper, and the skills all have the same effect is you break them down, just different names and animations. Like someone else said, i've hit 50 on my operative and I'm judging by that. Operatives healing is superb, though I don't enjoy healing as it's just not for me, the dps on an operative is also great, especially for pvp, though PvE your best bet is to be healer specced as one skill tree relies heavily on opening up from stealth, and the other rolves around burning down your target with DoTs, which can be boring against trash mobs. Though, pre 50 PvP (40-49) you can pretty much stunlock a target in a 1v1 and kill them before they even break stun, it's great.

Anyone who thinks Scrapper DPS is irrelevant is foolish. They're still incredibly powerful, I can gank people who out gear me on my Scoundrel frequently, and only lose some fights to gear. While "ganking" people isn't considered team playing, my own scoundrel has still managed to top charts without being in combat 100% of the time. If you didn't like Sniper, try scoundrel. They're a lot of fun.

I guess it is what you want for play style. I like playing Healers and support and I find the Scoundrel-Sawbones HEAPS more fun than my Consular or Trooper. So I am giving my input on the healer side of the Scoundrel :)

The common perception is that scoundrels are not as effective in operations, but that's not what I've experienced. You can put up great dps. Your big crits won't be giant like commando or gunslinger, but you've got dots running, debuffs from flechette (scrapper), etc. Plenty of damage. You won't have the sween gunslinger shield for the raid which is too bad, but you do bring off heals if something goes awry. You also have combat res and a ghetto combat res (vanish and then res out of combat), but that doesn't consistently work to count on it.

I love my scrapper and I'm part of my guild's main raiding group. Your mileage may vary based on your guild's perception of the class, though.

And if you go Gunslinger, what tree is best for DPS??

Maple...

Kidding. Depends on what you want to do. I go with Sharpshooter. It's single target DPS. Great against bosses (especially good because I get cover), and in PvP I'm great at taking out healers. But I find that I lack the AOE to clear multiple adds in Hard Modes. At least quickly (well, I can do it once with XS Flyby, but after that I'm boned).

If you want to PVE and deal damage to multiple enemies at once (but have generally less damage against a single enemy) go Saboteur.

If you want to PvP, generally I'd say Dirty Fighting. The right-hand trees usually are geared towards PvP. Lot's of DoT's and snare-breakers. Not that Sharpshooter or Saboteur is poor for PvP mind you, but it's a different approach. Sabo isn't going to be as effective if people aren't crowded around, and Sharpshooter is most effective when ignored, and against key targets.

Not sure why you'd want a Gunslinger,when you already didn't like Snipers.

Personally,Scoundrels are the most fun class in the game.I would say they don't make a good "DPS" slot for an elitiist 8-man OPS,but they are good everywhere else.If you want to PVP,get a Scoundrel to around level 30ish (they aren't that good before that) .Once you get level 40 and Flechette Round (Scrapper line Capstone) you'll see why so many ppl like their Scoundrels,despite all the nerfs.

Don't worry about not getting into OPS at 50.Just switch to healing(which is in demand),do your OPS for a week,then switch back to Scrapper.It won't hurt you to pvp a little as a healer for a week,just so you understand their strategy so you can hunt them easier.

There's a lot of misinformation about Scoundrels in general,but if you talk in-game most level 50 Scoundrels will tell you the class rocks.

Anyone who thinks Scrapper DPS is irrelevant is foolish. They're still incredibly powerful, I can gank people who out gear me on my Scoundrel frequently, and only lose some fights to gear. While "ganking" people isn't considered team playing, my own scoundrel has still managed to top charts without being in combat 100% of the time. If you didn't like Sniper, try scoundrel. They're a lot of fun.

Idk. Ganking is very useful in pvp if you're gunning for key enemies, like healers. Scrap/ops can really put the pressure on they enemy team with all the disruptions, snares, stuns, k/ds, and DMg.

But I'll agree, this spec on both sides seems to be the most gear dependent, sad to say.

• 4 weeks later...