Few Newbie Questions

limadoc

I figured I would get all of my most newbish questions into one post ;).

1. Is it better to try to get a single character high enough to get Legacy bonuses before starting Alts, or is purely preference? ( I am an Altoholic)

2. Can you get to 50 without doing Heroics/FP/Warzones or will it be a major grind? ( I don't mind grouping, but being familiar with Raiding I am also familiar with some groups reactions to newbs)

3. Op/Sniper; Is it better to go Lethality or Marksmanship?

IMO:

1. Absolutely, get your first character to the end of Chapter 1 (usually around level 30-32). This unlocks your legacy.

2. On my first 50 I did most of the heroics and most of the side missions planetary quests because I wanted to see as much as possible. By the time I got my third alt, I was skipping a lot, and finished my class quest at level 47. However, Belsavis and Ilum dailies give a TON of experience at level 47 -- I was able to do the last 3 levels in one evening that way.

3. I have a Sharpshooter Gunslinger and a Lethality Operative. I like the SS Gunsligner better. When more character slots are available I'll probably roll a Sniper. But, that's just a personal preference and two of my friends would tell you the opposite. :)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Khevar

Personally I'm an altoholic also, it's a serious problem, I need more then 8 character slots on my server >_>

Anyway, personally I'd suggest going until the end of chapter 2 if you're enjoying the class quest. That way you unlock the class buff for all other classes. Just a little useful thing to have.

I'd invite you to do some Flashpoints and group Heroics while you level! Rather than saddle any of the classes with "the one leveling talent tree" and the two that you really use in Operations, every class has three trees designed for group content and an NPC companion to round out your abilities in solo play. You're in a group all the time, even if it's just with a companion, and working with them the way you would work with another player - covering their weaknesses, playing to their strengths, becoming something more than the sum of its parts - can make stepping into a Flashpoint feel like putting on a comfortable shoe.

If you want to heal in Ops, heal your companion. If you want to tank in Ops, keep aggro off of your companion. You'll show up for your next group mission with the confidence that experience provides.

Edited by Otembe

1. Is it better to try to get a single character high enough to get Legacy bonuses before starting Alts, or is purely preference? ( I am an Altoholic)

Get to the end of Chapter 1 with a character to start a legacy, then it doesn't matter.

2. Can you get to 50 without doing Heroics/FP/Warzones or will it be a major grind? ( I don't mind grouping, but being familiar with Raiding I am also familiar with some groups reactions to newbs)

Definitely. You may need to throw in a couple space missions if you're finding yourself behind but it's not a big deal. You should also do the bonus quest series on the planets. I have a feeling that most casual people tend to do it this way with a few flashpoints thrown in.

I'm assuming you meant agent/sniper...

Engineering or marksman for PVE leveling.

End game PVE either works.

For PVP, lethality or engineering are best.

Edited by Infalliable

1. short answer yes it is better to get one character high enough to open legacy. That being said, look at what legacy has to offer, some players do not care about anything legacy has to offer so it does not matter when or if they get it. To this extent it is preference.

2. Absolutely, I leveled my first character on a low pop server (prior to transfers) and simply due to lack of others to group with I soloed the overwhelming majority of the way to 50. I did every quest on every planet and hit 50 before finishing my class story.

3. cannot answer as I never leveled an operative.

Ok, so here is a follow-up question based on some of the responses;

Should I go ahead and re-roll (start over)whatever I want my main to be and maybe go ahead and send gear to that character? Or am I ok struggling along until I figure out what I want to do?

I would like to eventually join a guild and do all the social fun stuff, so I want to make sure I am not messing up too bad from the start.

Ok, so here is a follow-up question based on some of the responses;

Should I go ahead and re-roll (start over)whatever I want my main to be and maybe go ahead and send gear to that character? Or am I ok struggling along until I figure out what I want to do?

I would like to eventually join a guild and do all the social fun stuff, so I want to make sure I am not messing up too bad from the start.

Get the character you are currently playing to the end of chapter 1 to unlock the legacy stuff. Then you are free to experiment around with classes and see which one you like the best.

My first run to 50 was a learning experience. I have since deleted that character as I have a well defined legacy that calls for only one species (family of Twi'leks). Now I know how I want to play the game.

Take the time to enjoy the scenery and learn the game. Its really quite fun. Don't be afraid to tell people you are new and ask for a little patience. Most experienced players get personal satisfaction out of helping newbies.

I also wanted to comment on your first set of questions.

It is entirely possible to get to level 50 without doing heroics or flash points. If you don't feel like grouping, you can do some PVP or space missions that yield extra XP, credits and legacy experience.

Grouping is a good way to find a guild. For me, if I group with an unguilded player that is new or needs help, I offer a guild invite to open up all the experience my guild has. They have helped me quite a few times.

Just take your time, enjoy the game and don't be afraid to ask someone if you have a question. If they are a jerk to you, screw'em, someone else in general chat will answer your question.

Hope to see you the Black Hole soon!

1. Yes its better to level one character first to get your legacy so you can start leveling it.

2. Yes its very possiable that is what I do very rarely do I do any Heroics of Flashpoints or ops but once I hit around 40 I start warzoning for the armor but I only do the dailys so.

3. I always went Marksmanship but you never know what they changed from when I played a Sniper so.