Ultimate PVP balance thread

JackNader

Basically would like this thread to be used as a scratchboard. All thoughts on class balance changes are welcome. I don't really care how off the wall the suggestions are. Any ideas that are well received I'll edit into this post. Keep in mind that Bioware is going to be less likely to make PVP changes if they interferes with PVE.

I'll kick off with some changes I'd like to see and some random thoughts. Note that I'm an imperial only player so all the changes I'm listing concern the class versions I'm familiar with.

First up Tanks:- I would like to see taunts locked to the tanking stance like guard is. The tanks job is team damage mitigation and it demeans their roll if DPS stances can mitigate damage via taunts as well.

Bounty hunter - General

-Missile blasts heat cost reduced to 16 heat from 25.

-Remove the minimum range from death from above and make the ability immune to interrupt.

Powertech - Shield tech

-Add defense to the shieldtech tree equivalent to that of jugs.

-Boost oilslicks accuracy debuff from 20% to 40% and lock it to the ion gas cylinder.

Mercenary - Arsenal

-Missile blast slows the target for 2 seconds

-Increase movement speed by 15%bonus when high velocity gas cylinder is active.

Marauder - general

- Lose the ability to obfuscate, cut it's duration by half or have it reduce the targets accuracy by 40% instead of 90%- This is so that they "eat" more of the burst of other classes. (Sins opening maul from stealth, ravages, sniper attacks, powertech railshots, etc) Marauders defensive cooldowns are head and shoulders above all other dps classes. In the beta they didn't have cloak of pain. They were designed to mitigate damage through avoidance. People complained bitterly that the class was too squishy so bioware added cloak of pain. When cloak of pain was added, obfuscation should have been removed.

Marauder - Annihilation

- Bleed dots can't be cleansed.

Marauder - Rage

*SUGGESTIONS PLEASE*

Sorcerer - Lightning

- Change backlash back to what it was.

- Add 15% movement speed high up in the tree

- Remove the activation time of lightning strike so that it can be cast while moving.

- Add armor penetration to shock high up in the tree for burst damage.

- Increase thundering blasts damage by 20%

- Lower thundering blasts activation time to 1.5 seconds

- Add a -30% aoe talent in the second tier of the tree.

Juggernaut - vengeance

-Increase bleed damage by 30%

-Remove the sunder requirement on shatter

Juggernaut - Rage

*SUGGESTIONS PLEASE*

Operative - General

-Lower the cooldown of stealth from 5 seconds to 1 second.

Operative - Concealment

Balancing concealment operatives is actually rather tricky. These guys have very good opening burst. Their ability to stun lock the target also means that they can remove 60 - 70% of the targets hit points before they are able to actually do any damage back. The main problem with concealment operatives is that they lack sustained damage output. However, If they are given sustained damage output in their current state it would return them to pre 1.1 status where they literally raped every class hands down. So the question is what do about them?

One method would be to allow player kills to reset the cooldown on combat exit. This would allow the concealment operative some more utility in largescale fights. However, it does nothing to address the lack of sustained damage output.

Another method would be to allow hidden strike to be used outside of stealth. Hidden strikes knockdown effect would have to be adjusted so that it only triggers when used from stealth. It's cooldown and damage may also need to be adjusted depending on how it parses.

Assassin - General

-Lower the cooldown of stealth from 5 seconds to 1 second.

Edited by JackNader

I don't play smash spec as its a FOTM spec. I refuse to play any spec that people roll on mass until its balanced

That's like saying I can drive a car, but rather ride a horse because I have this deluded sense of 'honor'.

Car to a class in a video game?

Can work just fine, actually. There's a reason why so many people roll smash. It's effective in group situations and moreso when there's more than one. Why not use it?

Edited by Xinika

This was not well thought out before posted. No offence intended to the op, but seriously, ops removing 70% on opener doesnt happen anymore, no smash mention, and a several other nonsensical thoughts.

As another said, this is a tough post to take seriously....:confused:

I know.. shocking right.. someone with honor!

Obfuscate - How many times have you cast it just as someone ravages and then laughed your *** off as they do no damage? How many times have you cast it on a sin whose opened on you and laughed as their next 2 mauls missed. How many times have you been set on fire by a combust PT and laughed because their next 2 railshots missed. It's an overpowered ability. In every casting situation it prevents a marauder from eating anywhere from 6 - 10k damage. They have cloak of pain which already puts them at tank status and saberward also adds 50% defense + 25% tech/force damage reduction. They DON'T need obfuscate.

Still yet to see one person make a meaningful comment on smash spec that I can add to the original post.

Edited by JackNader

I know.. shocking right.. someone with honor!

Obfuscate - How many times have you cast it just as someone ravages and then laughed your *** off as they do no damage? How many times have you cast it on a sin whose opened on you and laughed as their next 2 mauls missed. How many times have you been set on fire by a combust PT and laughed because their next 2 railshots missed. It's an overpowered ability. In every casting situation it prevents a marauder from eating anywhere from 6 - 10k damage. They have cloak of pain which already puts them at tank status and saberward also adds 50% defense + 25% tech/force damage reduction. They DON'T need obfuscate.

Still yet to see one person make a meaningful comment on smash spec that I can add to the original post.

I think you have it backwards. Obfuscate is fine its the other 2 defensive CDs.

If they lose any of those other 2 cooldowns.. I don't really care. They do need to lose at least 1 tho. Obfuscate , to me is the obvious choice. Atleast when they activate saberward there's still a 40 - 45% chance of you landing an attack vs a 5 - 10% chance with obfuscate.

The biggest problem with PvP Balance is that Bioware doesn't have defined roles in PvP for each class which makes balance difficult. They don't really have a big picture vision that I can see. Each class needs to have a niche they excel at. Since release they have been making changes that knock one class down and just elevate another. The list is long; Concealment, Mercs, Sorcs, PT's. The last batch of changes were the worst. It's obviously not working. My hope is that with the expansion and the tree changes they revise all the classes simultaneously. Burst DPS, Sustained DPS, Survivability, AOE DPs, Single Target, Crowd Control... Make each class have distinct advantages and disadvantages rather than trying to make the all generically equal.

They should take example from snipers in terms of balance:

• Clear role
  • Clear advantages
  • Clear weaknesses
  • Serious reliance on team to be good.
  • All 3 specs have a specific role, all 3 are useful yet neither overlaps with each other.
  • Good incetives to go 31 pts into tree, no retarded hybrid builds.
  • Fun class to play as and to play against.

Why not just have a vote for marauders.

They can keep their high dps and have less defensive cooldowns, or they can lose their high dps and keep their defensive cooldowns.

I see no reason for them to have both. It's actually harder to kill a marauder than a dps juggernaut, which is hilarious seeing how the juggernaut should be the "TANKY dps" class.

I like your concealment idea about re-entering stealth.

IMO it should be based on kb and it could go a couple ways.

1. Make it so that upon a kb you get a 30-50% chance to gain a buff that allows you to use another battle stealth that has no cd but requires said buff. Buff could last maybe 5 seconds or so.

or

2. Make it so that upon a kb you have a 30-50% chance to exit combat.

Rage Jugg/Focus Guardian

Remove auto-crit due to leap talent from Smash/Force Sweep.

Sorc/Sage

Make stun on bubblepop self-only (can still bubble team of course); make it give the resolve of every other stun.

Is all I ask.

A little buff to scrapper/concealment would be nice, and the mercs/commados need some loving care too. But that would be nice. Alright, maybe make Resilience/Force Shroud a 2min cd.

This is all of pointless of course, given that everything's going to be up in the air with extra talent points and redesigned trees in the next patch anyway.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Keep in mind that Bioware is going to be less likely to make PVP changes if they interferes with PVE.

First up Tanks:- I would like to see taunts locked to the tanking stance like guard is. The tanks job is team damage mitigation and it demeans their roll if DPS stances can mitigate damage via taunts as well.

Your first up directly interferes with PvE play, as removing taunt from DPS Chars with the option to tank removes the ability for them to rapidly taunt if needed when one of the tank dies in an op. Furthermore, DPS taunting in ops can be used in some occasions to pull away an additional spawned add on a healer if tanks happen to be on CD.

So no, removing taunt interferes with PvE gameplay and ought to stay the way it is.

Contrary to what people may think, Bioware does actually read these forums. If anyone can recall the deception assassin thread from a while back.. basically bioware implemented the exact changes I and others asked for.

Darth raiki what do you mean by KB?

TonyDragonflame

• Ability to post on forum about PvP balance: -100%

Haha dude, you must only waiting when my sub ends and I leave this failed game... though looks on our pvp server the end comes in March-May, when population from standard now became light.

Good job about faction and class balance! :o

Haha dude, you must only waiting when my sub ends and I leave this failed game... though looks on our pvp server the end comes in March-May, when population from standard now became light.

Good job about faction and class balance! :o

Tony, why do you hate snipers so much?:cool: I know that NogueirA and Kettlebell have been blown up repeatedly by my fellow sniper colleagues, so they are kinda traumatized by the experience, but you?

Marauder anni/Sentinel watchman

- Annihilate/Merciless Slash auto-crits on targets affected by your Rupture/Cauterize

- Annihilate/Merciless Slash has a 100% chance to reset cd on Rupture/Cauterize (up from 66%)

- Rupture/Cauterize and Overload Saber/Deadly Saber are Force debuffs instead of physical

Marauder Rage / Sentinel Focus and Jugg/Guardian

- Reduced armor penetration from Shii-Cho mastery

- To gain Singularity/Shockwave stacks, you must be in Shii-Cho form

- Overpower/Zephyrean Slash reduces the cooldown on Ravage/Master Strike instead of Smash (not really sure about that one, but it shouldn't reduce the cooldown on smash for sure)

- Zen/Berserk (sentinels/marauders) or Combat Focus/Enrage (guardians/juggs) instead of granting 4 stacks of Shockwave/Singularity now finishes the cooldown on Force Crush/Force Exhaustion or Force stasis/Force chocke (not sure which one it should reset tbh, but no more "instant" bombs, you still have to set them up)

Juggernaut Vengeance / Guardian Vigilance

- Impale / Overhead Slash Auto-crits on targets affected by your Shatter's/Overhead Slash's bleed effect

- 30% more surge on dots

- Change Gather Strenght's/ Pool Hatred's bonus to damage to pre-1.4

Vanguards / Powertechs

- Assault Trooper/Firebug no longer adds 30% surge to Plasma Cell/Combustile Cylinder

- For tanking, new talent located high in the tanking tree, reduces the cd on kolto overload/adrenaline rush to 1 minute and makes the effect instant

- Tanking tree needs more changes, since it relies on shield, which isn't good for pvp

Edited by Eszi