Grouping wiht a low level

Drewpanzer

Hi i am still fairly new to the game overall even though i have a level 47

My question is this:

My buddy is level 6 at the moment and want some help with missions

My character is level 47 and when i join him he gets no xp from the kills, is this normal, this occurs whether he hosts the group or i do and even if i do nothing but just stand there he gets no xp

Please help

Drew

That's how it is, if you group with someone much higher level than you are then you get reduced xp.

So yes it's normal, in your case you out-level him by 41 levels and then he should be getting something like 1-3 xp a kill or nothing at all.

Even if you're not in group and he pulls a mob and you kill it, then he will hardly get any xp.

My suggestion would be to make a new character and play with him, that's what I did with my brother.

This is normal. The only way that you can effectively "help" level a player that is more than 6 levels lower than you is to stay ungrouped.

The way experience is given is if the person that does the damage first does at least 25% of the damage on an enemy they will get the experience. So, for example, if you were to go to a heroic area and he does about 20% of the damage before you kill it he won't get the experience from it.

The only other options are to start a character and level up with him, or get him to follow you to a planet where you would be getting experience. He'll start earning some there. The exact requirement for the 6 levels is the enemy you're trying to kill must be no less than 6 levels under the highest level in the group. The higher the level the better. The downfall to this though is that you can only attack an enemy around 3 levels above you so to meet the 25% requirement to let him get experience you would need to just follow him around if he plans to do something like that.

TL;DR

The only way you can gain xp is if the enemy is less than 6 levels below the highest level in the group. So to help him level you'll have to be ungrouped and just let him do some damage before you kill whatever he's shooting.

I second the idea to just create a new character to level with them at first. I keep a character slot free that I can create a guy, level to 16 or so with a new friend, then ship off all their gear and materials to an alt and deleting them when a new friend gets the game.