Why do operations need a lockout?

I am always trying to make an ops group right. I get enough people but then 3 or 4 of them a re locked out. it is so annoying why do they need to be locked out.

because if you can get your guild HM EC geared in a day people wouldn't sub for long?

I am always trying to make an ops group right. I get enough people but then 3 or 4 of them a re locked out. it is so annoying why do they need to be locked out.

The main reason is to extend the raiding life of each new operation that is introduced. Given that EC has only 4 bosses if there wasnt a raid lockout of once per week players would be geared and complaining there was nothing to do 2 weeks after it's introduction. It's bad enough many players are sitting around twiddling their thumbs now waiting for the new OP but the situation would be far worse without raid lockouts.

So why not make it lockout on loot then, if the main reasoning behind it is to prevent from people gearing to fast.

Most people that I play with are more then wiling to help other people out(including me) but can't because they have a lockout.

And like the OP said, more often it happens that people are locked out and you have to start searching again.

So why not make it lockout on loot then, if the main reasoning behind it is to prevent from people gearing to fast.

Most people that I play with are more then wiling to help other people out(including me) but can't because they have a lockout.

And like the OP said, more often it happens that people are locked out and you have to start searching again.

2 options to solve the problem of nom noms joining groups and not realizing they are locked out are

1) Use the FP/OP finder and do SM EV or KP where no one in your group is locked out. Convince BW to add HM EV & KP to the lst

2 Join a raiding guild

I fall into category 2 and we never have the OP's problem, as far as helping other out thats what I use my lvl 50 alts for.

2 options to solve the problem of nom noms joining groups and not realizing they are locked out are

1) Use the FP/OP finder and do SM EV or KP where no one in your group is locked out. Convince BW to add HM EV & KP to the lst

2 Join a raiding guild

I fall into category 2 and we never have the OP's problem, as far as helping other out thats what I use my lvl 50 alts for.

i am not sure what you trying to say, you know you have a lockout windows feature in the game that provide information about your lockout AND the lockout of everyone in the operation, once invited, it is easy as pie to find where their lock are at, only need to go to that lockout windows

Lockout are in place to pace the progressions of players. To ensure they don't run five denova per day for those who have that kind of time. It's a fairplay system that everyone, from hardcore to casual, con only run one denova per week. it also limit player burn out.

Edited by Vankris

Its not just bout gearing too fast its about how quickly the content goes stale. If you run the same raid over and over every day your gona get sick of it much faster then if you take it in small doses.

And I'm far more sick of telling an odd member or 2 every week "Sorry you can't raid with us this week because of bad game design" when myself and everyone in my guild is more than willing to run the same ops twice in a row to help someone get through and get their gear. Besides even doing the content once a week and it's grown stale fast. The bottom line is if people need gear from it, then people will run it as many times as needed if it's stale or not to get what they need. So why not allow it so people can do it multiple times a week to help out those who need the gear still.

And I'm far more sick of telling an odd member or 2 every week "Sorry you can't raid with us this week because of bad game design" when myself and everyone in my guild is more than willing to run the same ops twice in a row to help someone get through and get their gear. Besides even doing the content once a week and it's grown stale fast. The bottom line is if people need gear from it, then people will run it as many times as needed if it's stale or not to get what they need. So why not allow it so people can do it multiple times a week to help out those who need the gear still.

Only advice I can give you is to start gearing alts. Best way around lock outs is to get a 2nd raid group going. Currently I have 3 toons running HM EC. Thats 2 times a week usually with my 3rd ending up with a pug or not going at all.

Lockout is there to slow down the gear intake.

For example our guild is at the stage where we run EC HM as farm mode. We easly bring 1 or 2 undergeared folks on our runs and gear them up. With just one undergeared person we are doing EC HM in 2 hours or faster.

At that rate we could equip our entire guild in full campaign within a week and the next week all of the alts etc...

What SWTOR needs is lots more raids at various Tiers this would minimize the impact of lockout timers.

• 2 weeks later...
The best solution would be to get rid of the lockouts on the older operations. Everyone should realize that the one and only purpose of lockouts is to force people to space out how often they can repeat content, thus keeping them subbed for longer. However, I think we can all agree that no one is going to stay subbed just to get in another EV or KP run. Few players have any need of the gear drops, and even the ones that do will still need to make the jump to BH/Campaign afterward, so repeating EV/KP multiple times a week and getting to full Rakata in a matter of days shouldn't matter. The only reason that most people I know ever do EV or KP is because they are bored and have nothing else to do while they wait for their Denova runs to come unlocked on Tuesday. Wouldn't it benefit everyone if you could relieve your boredom more than once per operation per week? I, for one, am considering unsubbing soon because of the constant boredom. If the new operation isn't totally awesome, I'm gone. However, if I could run random EVs or KPs every day when I have nothing else to do, I might just stick around. Same goes for Denova once the new operation comes out.

2 Join a raiding guild

Before WoW and other games started using LOCKOUTS the games were more fun as we would go in and help others over and over. We did not need the loot at all as we out geared the place.

So 1 is wrong and 2 sucks as LOCKOUT ON LOOT WOULD WORK BETTER. At least the FUN part of playing the game would take PRIORITY over GRIND or WAITING TILL NEXT WEEK.

Never thought I'd see the day that people complained about raids having a lockout. Jaw = on the floor.

LOCKOUTS did not exist till recently. To force grinding over fun. Loot lockouts would be a better solution.

At least people could practice a place for FUN, you know that thing we pay to do in a GAME!