SWTOR Companion QnA with Lead System Designer, Damion Schubert

JohnnyGatt

BioWare's Lead System Designer, Damion Schubert, has been kind enough to answer a volley of questions that I threw at him about the future of our beloved SWTOR companions. The companions are a unique and popular part of the SWTOR game experience and as the game is tweaked and updated, many players are wondering how companions will change, myself included. Here's what he had to say: http://www.swtorface.com/2012/09/swtor-companion-qna-with-lead-system.html

A big thanks to Eric Musco for setting this up for us!

BioWare's Lead System Designer, Damion Schubert, has been kind enough to answer a volley of questions that I threw at him about the future of our beloved SWTOR companions. The companions are a unique and popular part of the SWTOR game experience and as the game is tweaked and updated, many players are wondering how companions will change, myself included. Here's what he had to say: http://www.swtorface.com/2012/09/swtor-companion-qna-with-lead-system.html

A big thanks to Eric Musco for setting this up for us!

Nice interview, but was hoping someone would ask if there were any plans (short or long term) in letting players influecne their companions to be either dark or light.

Example: Through some work (possible a "Debate" feature), a Sith Warrior can turn Vette into a blood thirsty partner or on the reverse side, an Agent can make Kaliyo see that anarchy isn't such a great thing after all.

Nice interview, but was hoping someone would ask if there were any plans (short or long term) in letting players influecne their companions to be either dark or light.

Example: Through some work (possible a "Debate" feature), a Sith Warrior can turn Vette into a blood thirsty partner or on the reverse side, an Agent can make Kaliyo see that anarchy isn't such a great thing after all.

This is in game with Jaesa Willsaam so as it can be done I would say it comes down to cost, just like all other parts of the companion story.

Amazing what they suddenly find to be more important (character preview screen) when they are thinking that it might make the difference between people spending money on microtransactions or not.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As an aside, I am not a fan of 'converting' companions.

If a player can turn every companion to their way of thinking, then they aren't really their own individual characters anymore.

Further, the amount of work required to do such a thing approaches that of making an entirely new set of companions for every class (not to mention the changes that would have to happen in our codices).

I have (and had) my own ideas about how I would have done companions to make them more interchangeable (so if you didn't like a companion you could replace them), but given the state of things, I do not expect to see any new class specific companions introduced.

I think that all future companions will be either for everyone (ala HK-51), faction specific (Republic classes could get this guy while Imperials get that guy, but they would probably fill the same role(s)), or a choice between two (a world event, for example, where you make a choice similar to that made at the end of the Chevin event... If you choose this you get companion 'A', if you choose that you get companion 'B').

Great, thank you for sharing. I'm glad they gave some ifo on HK-51 (hooray for them taking my customization thread suggestion :D), and I'm glad C2 is getting a paint job.

Little sad that our companions won't be getting more conversations for awhile, but they did say that's expensive... Well, we're getting a new companion with all new conversations, so that makes up for it! :D

When will they fix the BUG of getting off a Speeder and the Companion window is there but now does not show up and when you click the Companion portrait it says: "You already have a Companion"

But clearly the Companion is not there. (Control UU does nothing at all)

So we are forced to cancel a different Companion on a mission to summon that one, so then we can summon the original Companion that did not show up when we got off the Speeder.

This is really a BUG that has existed since I started the game and location does not matter.

It happens in Fleet or almost anyplace and does not matter how many Companions are on missions or not.

When is this BUG going to be addressed?

• 2 weeks later...
:mad:WHY does Ashara where a black body suit with the slave girl outfit?:mad:

I talked to Damion about this and he told me that the actual reason why is because you don't know how to spell ghost. Or wear.

Edited by Icebergy