New Crafting Mats tab is underwhelming

HoloTweed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except it was NOT done well. It wasn't thought through. It's half-baked. There isn't even personal preference involved... the clunky way that mats are put in the tab and the complete lack of display options makes the new Mats Tab underwhelming and badly implemented. Glad you are satisfied with a "Less Than" result. So YOU can move on, but those not satisfied with the result will make that point known.

That's your personal opinion nothing more. Again some may agree, many seem to not agree with you. I have no issues with it.

Also in regards to Bioware not moving mats for you. What if someone didn't want them moved for them. How do you set which mats are moved? You can control what quality is moved and what quality is not. Do they do all green and below? What if others don't want that. What if some want just blue and lower, what if some want purple and lower? They should just assume which ones to move and done move? No they shouldn't and not moving any and letting players have the choice of what mat quality to move and which ones to not move is up to them. Not Bioware or you to decide for everyone else.

Edited by Nightblazer

I like the new mats window, it doesn't feel clunky at all to me. That's literally a personal preference.

Did you test the expansion on the PTS? If yes, then why didn't you comment on this during play testing? If no, then why didn't you test? They implemented TONS of feedback from PTS testing, they really do listen to the players.

It's hard to empathize with someone when that person is telling the people that disagree with them that their opinion is irrelevant. You didn't even do it to just one person, but three separate people.

Not every one has the time to test on PTS, so you don't get to use a "if you didn't test it, you can't complain" excuse. In fact, MOST players didn't test it. That doesn't invalidate their conclusions as to what 6.0 has delivered.

I haven't told anyone that their opinions are irrelevant... it's that they are misplaced. The crafting mats tab IS half-baked, it's NOT well-done. There really can be no argument with that. By simple explanation of how lacking in features it is, including display sorting, it's demonstrated that it's NOT well-done.

Those who wanted to argue the point (some just for the same of arguing) can really only say "I don't MIND that it's half-done, that's enough for me" - instead, they chose to belittle me and my point by being insulting (as have you). <shrug>

The others now showing up agreeing that this is an incomplete solution merely prove my conclusion. I'm happy that some of you are satisfied with what we got. But trying to argue with the rest of us who find it underwhelming and buttoning those arguments with insults doesn't make your case... or paint you in a positive light.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU

Did you test the expansion on the PTS? If yes, then why didn't you comment on this during play testing? If no, then why didn't you test? They implemented TONS of feedback from PTS testing, they really do listen to the players.

Several people (including me) mentioned the interface issue on the PTS forum, so I'm sure the devs are aware of it. But they had a ton to do, and this wasn't exactly a top priority. I do hope they get to it eventually. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy all the extra room in my legacy cargo hold!

Edited by Hudlar

The biggest thing that stood out to me about it is that the deposit button has a drop down of choices for tier quality of the mat, like blue/green/purple/etc., and it seems like choosing Legendary is a catch all for everything, but there's no choice explicitly named "Deposit All." Could be confusing.

new crafting mats storage is one of the best parts of the expansion.. man people just love to be downers. :rolleyes:

Harldy. I wanted crafting mat storage, too. But it could have been done RIGHT instead of just done expediently without any thought. I was ecstatic when I heard it was going into place... but completely underwhelmed by the minimal execution.

That's on Bioware, not me being "a downer."

I love the extra space in my legacy storage, but the mats storage needs work badly.

1. All tabs should be closed be default.

2. It needs the option to sort by level, rarity, and quantity as well as by name.

3. Currently, if you searched for something, you lose the search results if you manipulate the mats (eg I searched for prefabs but every time I moved one out of storage, it went back to showing me the entire storage contents) this needs to be fixed.

4. Bring back the alert message when you gather something.

To OP:

Seriously? All my mats now go into their own bag, automatically while harvesting even, pre-sorted by harvesting discipline, and all characters can access them anywhere. No more clogged inventory out in the field, trips to the bank, or calling up a field bank, no more remembering which page has which mats, no more hand sorting each by category and level and taking up multiple bank slots. It took me less than 5 minutes to pull my mats from the bank, and mass transfer them to the holding bag. (And I had a lot of mats.) In fact it took me much longer to re-organize my armor pieces, cartel market gear, etc. in all that glorious glorious newly opened bank space than it did to pull and dump mats.

BTW do you know it's not just harvested mats that will go in the bag? Reactants, sub-combines, etc. will go there too and go to a misc. tab. It's an all-inclusive holder. From what I can tell, if it can be used to make something else, it will go in, including prefab components, augment slot components, etc. It's outstanding.

Since it bothers you so much, I have a solution for you. Keep them all in the shared bank, and keep doing it the old way. While you do that, I'll be happy to just pull up my mats tab and see what I need while I'm out running around instead of beaming up to my house or hunting/popping a legacy bank to see what I'm getting low on. I'm getting old, but I can still keep track of which character has which harvesting discipline for a quick mats check.

Wow, I guess you don't like the new stats layout that gives you the armor rating and stats at a glance, or the new easier to identify merchant bank and mail icons either. I suppose the Superior Renown boosts now being stackable is just dreadful to you too. And to top it all off, along with all that newly opened bank space we can buy an additional tab for us pack rats to fill up as well. Of all the things to possibly complain about, you pick the huge QOL update?

While we're on the subject of QOL improvements, thank you devs for that new item screen, it makes it so much easier for these old eyes to see the armor rating, set bonuses, etc. at a glance. Much better layout IMO, and very much appreciated! I for one am very happy with all the QOL changes you made, but that one is a real improvement for me!

Wow, I guess you don't like the new stats layout that gives you the armor rating and stats at a glance, or the new easier to identify merchant bank and mail icons either. I suppose the Superior Renown boosts now being stackable is just dreadful to you too. And to top it all off, along with all that newly opened bank space we can buy an additional tab for us pack rats to fill up as well. Of all the things to possibly complain about, you pick the huge QOL update?

While we're on the subject of QOL improvements, thank you devs for that new item screen, it makes it so much easier for these old eyes to see the armor rating, set bonuses, etc. at a glance. Much better layout IMO, and very much appreciated! I for one am very happy with all the QOL changes you made, but that one is a real improvement for me!

While I really like the mats tab and the 7th bay, I think the flashing neon green vendor icons are absolutely hideous and we need a way to disable them. The item screen, I don't see any improvement there, just different.

To OP:

Seriously?

Quite seriously, yep.

All my mats now go into their own bag, automatically while harvesting even, pre-sorted by harvesting discipline, and all characters can access them anywhere.

And hey, that's great. I was very enthusiastic when the Mats Vault was announced. And I certainly didn't say that they had no use at all. I simply said they were half-done. Incomplete. Could be so much better.

Since it bothers you so much, I have a solution for you. Keep them all in the shared bank, and keep doing it the old way. While you do that, I'll be happy to just pull up my mats tab

So... basically, because I find this iteration lacking and incomplete, I should not be allowed to use it at all? Or not allowed to point out that it's only half-done if I DO use it? Yeah, that makes so much sense!

Wow, I guess you don't like the new stats layout that gives you the armor rating and stats at a glance, or the new easier to identify merchant bank and mail icons either.

So... since I commented on how I find one new element underwhelming and incomplete, I must therefore HAVE TO dislike every single other change made in 6.0? I'm not sure where you learned about logic and how to use it... but you're doing it wrong.

To OP:

Seriously? All my mats now go into their own bag, automatically while harvesting even, pre-sorted by harvesting discipline, and all characters can access them anywhere. No more clogged inventory out in the field, trips to the bank, or calling up a field bank, no more remembering which page has which mats, no more hand sorting each by category and level and taking up multiple bank slots. It took me less than 5 minutes to pull my mats from the bank, and mass transfer them to the holding bag. (And I had a lot of mats.) In fact it took me much longer to re-organize my armor pieces, cartel market gear, etc. in all that glorious glorious newly opened bank space than it did to pull and dump mats.

BTW do you know it's not just harvested mats that will go in the bag? Reactants, sub-combines, etc. will go there too and go to a misc. tab. It's an all-inclusive holder. From what I can tell, if it can be used to make something else, it will go in, including prefab components, augment slot components, etc. It's outstanding.

Since it bothers you so much, I have a solution for you. Keep them all in the shared bank, and keep doing it the old way. While you do that, I'll be happy to just pull up my mats tab and see what I need while I'm out running around instead of beaming up to my house or hunting/popping a legacy bank to see what I'm getting low on. I'm getting old, but I can still keep track of which character has which harvesting discipline for a quick mats check.

This post was pretty funny and compelling too. Makes me believe the crafting tab is a nicely done feature! I have yet to log in and see for myself, so I am relying on posts like this to shine the real light of truth!

And hey, that's great. I was very enthusiastic when the Mats Vault was announced. And I certainly didn't say that they had no use at all. I simply said they were half-done. Incomplete. Could be so much better.

I'm most interested in your perspective here. How would define that they are incomplete, and what more would you like to have had them do to the system to make them more complete?

You being snarky and repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true. In fact, it makes your stance even weaker. But hey, keep acting the Hutt.

Seems you are saying the same thing over and over as well. Nobody is right on either side of the isle, your opinion doesn't outweigh others that disagree with you about the implementation, anymore than theirs outweighs yours.

It is impossible to keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. Make informative suggestions on how to improve the system in such a way as not to appear to be a rant.

This post was pretty funny and compelling too. Makes me believe the crafting tab is a nicely done feature! I have yet to log in and see for myself, so I am relying on posts like this to shine the real light of truth!

The real light of truth is that they only went part-way with the tab. Zero ability to sort how all of the mats under each crafting category display. It's alphabetical and that's it.

So it's a great idea that falls short in the execution. Is it better than nothing? Sure! Is it what we all hoped it would be? Not really. It only goes part way. What it does do is great, but overall... underwhelming.

you think so, but not everyone lives in their parents basement. Some of us have lives and jobs that we go to. and some of us on our way home from the jobs have a little fun on the forums pulling the legs of people who take things way too seriously. Maybe they need to get out of the basement and get out more...

Ummmm

Some of us have a small corner behind the stair case …. in the basement of my OWN home ! (But is very comfortable !)

And yes... some folks would complain regardless !!

(seems like I got a tad upset about that once before) !

:D

Seems you are saying the same thing over and over as well. Nobody is right on either side of the isle, your opinion doesn't outweigh others that disagree with you about the implementation, anymore than theirs outweighs yours.

It is impossible to keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time. Make informative suggestions on how to improve the system in such a way as not to appear to be a rant.

I DID say how it could be improved. There is no denying that this thing is only part-way implemented. I don't know why (except for some admitted trolling) that people who are satisfied with something half-done feel the need to berate someone who points it out. But not everyone does, and there have been plenty of folks in this thread that have also seen how much better it could have been.

IMO:

A separate crafting matts tab is great... Less stuff to take up space in normal personal inventory ! Also mean fewer trips to a vault to unload and store stuff in cargo or legacy... At least until I need to MAKE the time to do so !

Improvements needed ? Probably … in due time.

Soooo why not make a legitimate suggestion for solid ideas that could be used ?

I guess it just depends on how and WHAT you want accomplish !

While I really like the mats tab and the 7th bay, I think the flashing neon green vendor icons are absolutely hideous and we need a way to disable them. The item screen, I don't see any improvement there, just different.

I can't attest to the neon green, as I am shade blind (which has both it's drawbacks and it's advantages) so to me it's just light green. I do find it easier to see some things with the new icon changes, such as the bolder exclamation mark when I have mail waiting, for example. The new border helps a lot, and adding the border helps it stand out against the background much better.

I will take your word about the color. It may be possible to adjust it in preferences, but haven't looked as it wouldn't make much difference to me. Flashing makes it easier for folks like me to spot among the other colors in crowded situations. For the normal sighted, being able to turn it off may be a nice option.

Trouble is, with such a large expansion, there is only so much development time to add in options like that, maybe in time they can add it, who knows? Few games have disability options or considerations in them, and as a former advocate for the disabled, I was pleased to see some of the new changes being disabled friendly. (Intentional or not)

For the item screen, having things like the armor rating in larger bold letters right on top means I don't have to juggle between the different powers on my bifocals so much to read the stats anymore. It's rough getting old :) To me the overall layout is more logical as well, but to each their own, maybe I'm just an odd duck :)