Han shot forts

Zeerko

When did Han shoot a fort? What part of the movie did this occur? :p lol

I know you mean Han shot first. It's a big deal because that is what happened when the movie was made. Changing it for no reason other than to change it was just wrong. Han shot Greedo because that is who he was at that point in time. Han was not a goodguy/hero yet. Lucas changes things all the time. It is his right to do so as it is his creation, but many of those changes are wrong and plain stupid. Many fans refuse to accept some of these changes as canon. Case in point, "peaceful" Mandalorians. Terrible idea.

The main reason I don't like Gredo shooting first is because it was implemented poorly. I don't care how bad a shot you are, there is no way he should have missed by that wide of a margin from less than 3 feet away. Not to mention in the theatrical release of the special edition the blaster bolt comes out of Gredo's gun at an angle.

I'm assuming you aren't from around these parts with what I see in your post OP, but The First Shot is a big deal for the sake of consistancy. In the original, Han DID shoot first. Hell I still have the VHS Trilogy before the PT was even mention (Ep I). The first implementation made Han look like a dark character / "Go f#$% yourself" kind of guy. He took charge and knew how to deal with people like Greedo.

The fact that it was completely changed to make Han look like he was under attack annoyed a ton of people.

The whole argument is: The Original Version vs Changed Version. People didn't like Star Wars being changed back then than fans do now.

Edited by Eillack

I'm assuming you aren't from around these parts with what I see in your post OP, but The First Shot is a big deal for the sake of consistancy. In the original, Han DID shoot first. Hell I still have the VHS Trilogy before the PT was even mention (Ep I). The first implementation made Han look like a dark character / "Go f#$% yourself" kind of guy. He took charge and knew how to deal with people like Greedo.

The fact that it was completely changed to make Han look like he was under attack annoyed a ton of people.

The whole argument is: The Original Version vs Changed Version. People didn't like Star Wars being changed back then than fans do now.

^This, and the fact that it showed the start of his journey from selfish and ruthless mercenary toward becoming a hero by the end of RotJ.

The main reason I don't like Gredo shooting first is because it was implemented poorly. I don't care how bad a shot you are, there is no way he should have missed by that wide of a margin from less than 3 feet away. Not to mention in the theatrical release of the special edition the blaster bolt comes out of Gredo's gun at an angle.

Exactly

Hell I still have the VHS Trilogy before the PT was even mention (Ep I). The first implementation made Han look like a dark character / "Go f#$% yourself" kind of guy. He took charge and knew how to deal with people like Greedo.

I never really saw him as a dark character before the change/awful CG job to Greedo firing and missing at point blank range. He did, after all, shoot in self defense. Someone was pointing a gun at him and had blatantly told Han he was going to kill him.

Then again, I grew up watching the Dollars trilogy and the Dirty Harry films.

If you were a kid in the 80's you saw that scene over and over until you memorized every frame of it. And it defined the character. Seeing the scene after it was changed, your automatic reaction is, "did I just enter the twilight zone?"

And then the Han gets up and calmly walks away after Greedo puts a shot into the wall around his head?

Yeah, it went from Han walking away daring someone else to step up... to Han walking away trying to mask the fact there is a duece in his pants.

George Lucas wanted the original to be more light on the audience (maybe even kids friendly) rather then portraying one of the main characters as a cold blooded killer. Never the less, its one of the reasons we love Han Solo in the original from 1977 - he doesn't take any *brown stuff that bulls drop* from anybody!

Basically, he pulled a Steven Spielberg with all that cash and too few people around him to tell him the truth.

George Lucas wanted the original to be more light on the audience (maybe even kids friendly) rather then portraying one of the main characters as a cold blooded killer. Never the less, its one of the reasons we love Han Solo in the original from 1977 - he doesn't take any *brown stuff that bulls drop* from anybody!

Basically, he pulled a Steven Spielberg with all that cash and too few people around him to tell him the truth.

It's a case of George having too many "Yes" people and not enough "Are you sure that's a good idea, sir?" people.

There is a really good fan made remastered copy done that restores the Han shooting first scene, some of the music decisions are a bit annoying but overall he did an awesome job on it.

Google: Star Wars Remastered and you should find it.

To be honest and this is from someone who grew up with the originals and enjoyed the special edition versions. To me as long as the end result is Greedo fried extra crispy it really shouldnt matter who shot first. Plus with some knowlege of CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and how it is done it is alot harder to redo or improve existing movie frames than it is to do it during filming. That is something people dont always take into account when complaining about a change. I mean in the end Greedo still ended up dead and all the changes they made were supposed to be done the first time they filmed the movies except for the fact that they ran out of time Lucas even said this in a interview just after the Special Edition versions of the Original Trilogy hit the theaters.

To be honest and this is from someone who grew up with the originals and enjoyed the special edition versions. To me as long as the end result is Greedo fried extra crispy it really shouldnt matter who shot first. Plus with some knowlege of CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and how it is done it is alot harder to redo or improve existing movie frames than it is to do it during filming. That is something people dont always take into account when complaining about a change. I mean in the end Greedo still ended up dead and all the changes they made were supposed to be done the first time they filmed the movies except for the fact that they ran out of time Lucas even said this in a interview just after the Special Edition versions of the Original Trilogy hit the theaters.

George has backpedalled, contradicted himself, and outright lied in a dozen or more interviews and commentaries over the years. When the first revisions came out, Han still shot first, but Greedo got in a reaction shot as he died. Ok, most of us could live with that. The kicker was when he made Greedo shoot first. That nullified the original story of Han evolving from cold-blooded mercenary into an actual hero with a cause to believe in. That scene set the stage for that. It showed everyone that Han was not a nice guy. Seriously, if George always planned it so Han shot after Greedo, he could have done it in the first revision. His lie that he always intended for it to be that way was obvious when taken in the context of the OT, 1st Revision OT, and 2nd Revision OT. Watch that scene in all 3, and you'll see what I mean.

It's a sad thing when an author retcons his own work.

EDIT: Especially when he does interviews while wearing a T-shirt that says "Han Shot First" on it! :p

Edited by Captain_Zone