How to beat Vaylin in Chapter 9

Aracyli

Fight at the base of the stairs. There are two orb spawns near there. When she does her big AoE, run up the stairs. Go back down when it is done. Melee inside her circle and drag into orbs. Fight zoomed all the way out so you can see the orbs.

Use your DCDs. Bring a medpack.

It takes a while but you'll get it.

And usually I need the orbs to heal myself, I can try to get her into 1 out of 5 orbs or so, at max. But like I said, it's almost impossible for me to reach the orbs, because she pulls me back to her and roots me repeatedly when I try to reach them.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate this fight so much. I freaking gave up after dying about 10 times on my GS. The only reason I managed to do it on my trooper is because she could heal herself. I have all the difficulties people mentioned, I've tried staying under that stairs and such, but I cannot get to the healing circles before she eventually kills me. Only been blown off once. It's her damage when in close quarters. And my gear is pretty good (220). This fight blows. This character is my main toon, and she's stuck until I finish this. No way to group for it, is there? Ugh. Hate it. Should not be this hard. Oh, and my repair bill? over 38,000! Edited by MaryEO

I hate this fight so much. I freaking gave up after dying about 10 times on my GS. The only reason I managed to do it on my trooper is because she could heal herself. I have all the difficulties people mentioned, I've tried staying under that stairs and such, but I cannot get to the healing circles before she eventually kills me. Only been blown off once. It's her damage when in close quarters. And my gear is pretty good (220). This fight blows. This character is my main toon, and she's stuck until I finish this. No way to group for it, is there? Ugh. Hate it. Should not be this hard. Oh, and my repair bill? over 38,000!

yeah it take forever on some class . Its easier on force users .

But when I did it on my sniper (with poor gears) , I didn't stand there and take it . Keep running around . That is what I did . Get one healing orb for yourself , cc some of her abilities (check the ones that damage you the most and cc it ) and keep running till next Orb . getting her into an orb take a lot of her health and she freeze . So you can heal up or do damage..but KEEP RUNNING in circle .

yeah it take forever on some class . Its easier on force users .

But when I did it on my sniper (with poor gears) , I didn't stand there and take it . Keep running around . That is what I did . Get one healing orb for yourself , cc some of her abilities (check the ones that damage you the most and cc it ) and keep running till next Orb . getting her into an orb take a lot of her health and she freeze . So you can heal up or do damage..but KEEP RUNNING in circle .

I will give that a try, thank you very much! But not tonight. I burned out on that fight for now. (Never seemed to be enough healing circles. Someone suggested going to them when your health was down to half. All well and good if one shows up at that point. Often there wasn't one, and of course she drags you back and slows you down. Ugh.)

I will give that a try, thank you very much! But not tonight. I burned out on that fight for now. (Never seemed to be enough healing circles. Someone suggested going to them when your health was down to half. All well and good if one shows up at that point. Often there wasn't one, and of course she drags you back and slows you down. Ugh.)

I didnt wait for my health was going down..since I was so squichy lol but if your health is up..you can wait for her to come to you...if she get in the orb at the same time as you..you get health and she get damage . But thats tricky...

They come from in front of the stairs . One on each side , and one at the back of the stairs . Running around is the only thing I could do....just watch how she follow you .

I hate this fight so much. I freaking gave up after dying about 10 times on my GS. The only reason I managed to do it on my trooper is because she could heal herself. I have all the difficulties people mentioned, I've tried staying under that stairs and such, but I cannot get to the healing circles before she eventually kills me. Only been blown off once. It's her damage when in close quarters. And my gear is pretty good (220). This fight blows. This character is my main toon, and she's stuck until I finish this. No way to group for it, is there? Ugh. Hate it. Should not be this hard. Oh, and my repair bill? over 38,000!

If you look in the other thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=902674 you will see that I had a lot of trouble as a gunslinger until I re-chose my combat proficiencies. I had been spec'd as all DPS, but once I went for defense, movement, and healing (10% heal when you do the escape from hunker down) I was able to complete it fairly easily. If I remember correctly I had 80% health? If you need my exact choices let me know and I will be happy to log in and take a look.

Edited by AndasKastor

If you look in the other thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=902674 you will see that I had a lot of trouble as a gunslinger until I re-chose my combat proficiencies. I had been spec'd as all DPS, but once I went for defense, movement, and healing (10% heal when you do the escape from hunker down) I was able to complete it fairly easily. If I remember correctly I had 80% health? If you need my exact choices let me know and I will be happy to log in and take a look.

Oh, this is exactly what I need! I was thinking of looking at the utilities to see if I could find something to help, but really had no idea what to choose. My GS is pretty much all DPS, and with the 5.0 changes, I just set her up the best I could, though there were no guides I could find. I thought this thread you linked would give specifics, but I read all of it anyway for help. I think it's the Veteran mode thing actually. I'd checked that out already. Right-clicking my portrait says I'm in Story mode. Checking the mission log, "STORY" is greyed out, and "VETERAN" is live. I thought this might mean Story was greyed out because it's being used, and you could change the fight to Veteran. I didn't click it because no way did I want to make it harder!

Thank you, though for the tips! I will try this and the running her into the circles again, and some other things. Ugh. Not looking forward to it.

Oh, this is exactly what I need! I was thinking of looking at the utilities to see if I could find something to help, but really had no idea what to choose. My GS is pretty much all DPS, and with the 5.0 changes, I just set her up the best I could, though there were no guides I could find. I thought this thread you linked would give specifics, but I read all of it anyway for help. I think it's the Veteran mode thing actually. I'd checked that out already. Right-clicking my portrait says I'm in Story mode. Checking the mission log, "STORY" is greyed out, and "VETERAN" is live. I thought this might mean Story was greyed out because it's being used, and you could change the fight to Veteran. I didn't click it because no way did I want to make it harder!

Thank you, though for the tips! I will try this and the running her into the circles again, and some other things. Ugh. Not looking forward to it.

Yeah, I had all of my combat proficiencies in dps oriented abilities. There are quite a few that help with defense - especially with hunker down (which I almost never used before this fight). Once I set it up for survivability the damage I took was much less - although I did have to use one or two of the memories of healing for me.

Part of what I have been wondering about this discussion is if people who primarily PvE are not really aware of how and when to use DCDs. I know I almost never had to use mine while leveling; most of the PvE content in this game is super easy mode, given OP companion heals.

I didn't *really* learn my class DCDs until I started PvP, where they are essential, including the utilities that boost them. Some are quite strong (like Hunker Down, as you mention).

Part of what I have been wondering about this discussion is if people who primarily PvE are not really aware of how and when to use DCDs. I know I almost never had to use mine while leveling; most of the PvE content in this game is super easy mode, given OP companion heals.

I didn't *really* learn my class DCDs until I started PvP, where they are essential, including the utilities that boost them. Some are quite strong (like Hunker Down, as you mention).

I mostly leveled my main characters before 4.0, so the companions weren't over-powered, and didn't heal me, especially my GS, who played almost exclusively with Corso. (Where is he? She misses his sooooo much.) I've done some PvP, but never got good at it, really could use a coach! And I did respec her for the Vaylin fight, and read all the different things I never did quite understand before. PvP is so different, you need a whole other set of skills.

Yeah, I had all of my combat proficiencies in dps oriented abilities. There are quite a few that help with defense - especially with hunker down (which I almost never used before this fight). Once I set it up for survivability the damage I took was much less - although I did have to use one or two of the memories of healing for me.

Thank you and everyone else on these threads for your advice! I did as you suggested and revamped the utilities for the Vaylin fight. The first time I tried it, I tried hunker down (which I have used at times without really realizing how good it is) and other defensive things, but still took too much damage and died. 2nd time, I only shot her once, spent the rest of the time running from her, trying to stay out of her range because that's when she'd do me the most damage. It did happen, and I managed to get to a healing circle a couple times. Then I did what some suggested and just finagled getting Vaylin in the way of the healing circle, and bam! That worked great. The trick is that the circle can heal you or hurt her, not both. Someone mentioned that on another thread, and that was key. I was shaking, though, the whole time, especially when I had her down to 19%, I was afraid she'd kill me and I have to do it all over again! What a relief when that didn't happen.

I think changing the utilities made it possible to withstand the lightning arcs, because they seemed to do me less damage than before. Then not shooting her kept her from ever stacking up to 30 and trying to blow me off the platform. Kite around, look for the next circle, maneuver her into it. That about summed it up. I'm not that great a player, if I can do it, anyone can! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Thank you and everyone else on these threads for your advice! I did as you suggested and revamped the utilities for the Vaylin fight. The first time I tried it, I tried hunker down (which I have used at times without really realizing how good it is) and other defensive things, but still took too much damage and died. 2nd time, I only shot her once, spent the rest of the time running from her, trying to stay out of her range because that's when she'd do me the most damage. It did happen, and I managed to get to a healing circle a couple times. Then I did what some suggested and just finagled getting Vaylin in the way of the healing circle, and bam! That worked great. The trick is that the circle can heal you or hurt her, not both. Someone mentioned that on another thread, and that was key. I was shaking, though, the whole time, especially when I had her down to 19%, I was afraid she'd kill me and I have to do it all over again! What a relief when that didn't happen.

I think changing the utilities made it possible to withstand the lightning arcs, because they seemed to do me less damage than before. Then not shooting her kept her from ever stacking up to 30 and trying to blow me off the platform. Kite around, look for the next circle, maneuver her into it. That about summed it up. I'm not that great a player, if I can do it, anyone can! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Yep! That is the way I did it. I don't think I shot her more than once - I just kited her to the circles and concentrated on my defensive stuff. I was concentrating so much on the defensive and staying alive that I was actually surprised when the fight was over :)

I'm glad you could get it done!

I would not doubt this at all. As I mentioned a couple of times previously I never had to worry about a fight prior to chapter 16 of KotFE and chapter 9 of KotET.

I am sure that by the next hard fight I'll have to relearn it again, lol.

I have tried every way to fight Vaylin with ranged attackers both up close and trying to get her to a heal spot but I cannot last more then 2 mins before she kills me it is crazy why make the last two fights impossible?

Every other fight we were given a good chance here if you are lucky you may be able to get her but more then 90% she will kill you before you even hurt them a little.

It saddens me that they have done this as it ruins the chance to enjoy and finish the game.

Even against Arcann we were given extra abilities.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried every way to fight Vaylin with ranged attackers both up close and trying to get her to a heal spot but I cannot last more then 2 mins before she kills me it is crazy why make the last two fights impossible?

Every other fight we were given a good chance here if you are lucky you may be able to get her but more then 90% she will kill you before you even hurt them a little.

It saddens me that they have done this as it ruins the chance to enjoy and finish the game.

Even against Arcann we were given extra abilities.

I certainly thought I was not going to be able to do it. And it was nervewracking after all the fails, but if you get yourself as bulked up with defensive utilities, you can stand most of her lightening, and don't ever let her get too close except when you get a healing circle near. It was tricky to get on the other side of it so that it activated on her and not me, but it did work. And if you don't fight her, she never gets to that point where she'll do the knockback.

And there is always grouping with someone. I would be happy to help if I had more time in game than I do these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my god... After a few attempts of button bashing, I finally defeated her. Here's how I did it:

Stay close to her when she doesn't do that massive pushback ability that takes forever to charge up. I'm not sure about this, but it seems as if you take less damage when right next to her? Idk XD

Her massive ability that takes forever to charge up does have limits area wise. When she starts channelling her ability, go to where you started off from and stick to the far edge. You should see a faint circle, indicating the area in which the ability works in. As long as you stay on the outside of this, you shouldn't get pushed back. After her ability has finished, pick up the memory of healing that spawns basically right next to you to gain some MUCH NEEDED health. A few moments after this, another memory of healing will spawn on the other side of the area you fight vaylin in. You can either pick it up yourself for some more health, or lead vaylin into it, which deals damage to her and stuns her momentarily. For me, I alternated between picking up both memories of healing and luring vaylin to the second memory of healing. After maybe a couple of minutes of fighting her using this method, she should be defeated allowing you to carry on with the story.

I'm not saying this is a perfect method (it may be, who knows? :p), but it certainly worked for me.

P.s. it may be a bit easier if you have health packs, stims etc. , but it should still be possible without them.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have a question on this fight.

I am losing LOTS of HP and she is no where near me and the lightning is not on me. She is doing over load and I am like 10+ meters out of the red and jumping. All of a sudden I lose like 50k HP.

Or another thing is that while I am fighting her I am being Dotted but no debuffs. Am I in a bugged fight or something?

This was hands down the most boring, long battle I have ever been a part of - the catch is to use force speed right after she stuns you and bolt to a healing circle. The close the distance again. I must have done that nearly a hundred times before she died. By the end it felt more like a job than a game. But hey - its the Eternal Throne: right - and your mind and soul. Whichever comes first for you.