Community Q&A – April 27th 2012 Blog Discussion

JovethGonzalez

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

I hope by early summer you mean May as if it ends up being into June and July i'll likely be gone. Playing on very quiet servers is just not fun for anyone, i have plenty of single player games for that.

Edited by Kabaal

We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

So wait, if I want to transfer from a dead server to another dead server I can do it for free, but if I want to transfer to a server where there are people playing I have to pay? Is that it? If so, you really need to re-evaluate your strategy. Fewer servers, bigger playercaps and merge servers. Shouldn't be so hard.

So wait, if I want to transfer from a dead server to another dead server I can do it for free, but if I want to transfer to a server where there are people playing I have to pay? Is that it? If so, you really need to re-evaluate your strategy. Fewer servers, bigger playercaps and merge servers. Shouldn't be so hard.

Their intention is probably more aimed towards getting people into the lower pop servers rather than flooding the already crowded high pop servers.

So wait, if I want to transfer from a dead server to another dead server I can do it for free, but if I want to transfer to a server where there are people playing I have to pay? Is that it?

No, that's not it.

As we said, we'll have more details to share closer to launch. Between Group Finder and a Character Transfer Service, our plans are designed to allow more players to play together more often.

Their intention is probably more aimed towards getting people into the lower pop servers rather than flooding the already crowded high pop servers.

And that's exactly what I see problematic. Why would anyone want to transfer to a empty server in an MMO? I don't know about those who want to play alone, but I sure do want to play with people, be able to purchase stuff from GTN and actually do flashpoints, which I haven't been able to do for weeks. The solution is not try to breathe artificial air into already dead servers, they simply won't become alive again. We need to shift to fewer servers already.

No, that's not it.

As we said, we'll have more details to share closer to launch. Between Group Finder and a Character Transfer Service, our plans are designed to allow more players to play together more often.

Stephen Reid | Senior Online Community Manager

Ahh thanks for the clarification, eases my mind a bit.

Edited by Yasu

Amazing. According to facebook SWTOR page, this week is "Smuggler Week". We get ONE question about something that makes no sense what-so-ever. Since the Dev completely missed the question, let me answer it:

mr_ruiz: Smuggler/Operative Question: As the only classes without a stance/form of some sort (even all companions have a couple), is there any plan to add something like that to these classes for additional utility? If not, why?

Answer: Um, what are you talking about? Smugglers/Agents have COVER. That is their stance. Not to mention that Scoundrels/Ops have STEALTH as their stance.

Now can we get a question that matters such as what was the reasoning behind the change to the Smuggler companion, Corso Riggs, having his Harpoon replaced by a jetpack? Smugglers already had a companion that has a leap action. Did the team consider the effect it would have on Scoundrels, who are a melee class, or were just Gunslingers, a ranged class, thought about?

Edited by Decrisit

There is talk of new species being added within the year Horrah!

But what is the criteria of the new species, without going into specifics are we going to see more grey, green and blue humans or more interesting Species added? With the legacy system before we knew it was just going to be cross faction species brought in there were high hopes 1.2 would see new species. This was sadly dashed when the truth was out that pureblood Sith Troopers was the order of the day. Will the new species be equally disappointing or are the art team going to be let lose on the creatures we saw in Jabbas palace?

So wait, if I want to transfer from a dead server to another dead server I can do it for free, but if I want to transfer to a server where there are people playing I have to pay?.

Did we read the same blog? I saw nothing that suggested this. Do you assume they will not guide the process to ensure fuller servers?

The hysterical rhetoric on these forums is out of control.

Another Q&A full of "yes, we have it planned" instead of any info about the mechanics of the game.

Thank you very much for picking the most useless questions to answer. The lack of any tangible information is your specialty.

"Soon" "we have it planned" "next patch"

This is getting boring.

Edited by Yakito

Lovarboy: Will we get dual spec with Game Update 1.3?

Daniel: Unfortunately, no. Game Update 1.3 is being kept a bit leaner to get the Group Finder and the next stage of Legacy in the game as fast as possible. After that we’ll be returning to some bigger updates and we’re hoping dual spec makes it for the next one.

Sooo the listing of "Field Respec" in the Legacy menu (under the "Coming in 1.3 section" )is something other than duel spec? Or should that legacy page be titled something else bioware?

Edited by Voren_Kurn

First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice.

You have created this mess and now we're supposed to hang around until early summer where you choose where we go or we have to pay to get to a server we choose to re-roll on in the meantime, I'm sorry but not going to happen, without the ability to consolidate my characters and legacies for free I don't see me being patient and understanding any more.

Edit: Not to mention that we pay a subscription for this game, in essence paying for the development of the transfer feature so why on earth should we be charged for using it.

Edited by Bozse

This Q&A was a big improvement over the last few weeks (especially the new info on character transfers). Keep up the Q&As moving in this direction BW...I love it when I feel I actually learn something from the Q&A. :)

Arymono: When will character transfers be available for everybody?

Dallas Dickinson (Senior Producer, Live Services): We will be rolling out our Character Transfer Service in early summer. First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice. We know everyone has more questions about character transfer, and we’ll reveal more details closer to the launch date.

I hope by early summer you mean May as if it ends up being into June and July i'll likely be gone. Playing on very quiet servers is just not fun for anyone, i have plenty of single player games for that.

May is spring. Summer doesn't even *start* til nearly the end of June.

I liked the Q&A, I'm glad to be getting some tangible information regarding what's coming. When might we see some further info in regards to open-world PVP/RVR plans? Also, will we be seeing a new warzone in 1.3, or 1.4 perhaps? Edited by Ancen

Field Respec is not the same as dual spec.

So I should take from it that Field Re-spec is an activated ability on a cooldown (much like the fleet pass) that resets your skill points? Or is its functionality different?

Edited by Voren_Kurn

Could we expect more classic feel items going into the game in 1.3 that relate to the original Kotor?

I would love to see the Force Mask with the yellow glow light up from the original game added in, Everyone I knew loved having it. Maybe for the C.E. or VIP we could get Revan's Gear for the price of 1 mill for the whole set. Maybe even a Gizka pet?

Edited by Magnusheart

Raific: Could you please clarify and expand on the following patch note for Game Update 1.2:

Players can now remove Armoring modifications that have set bonuses from items and transfer those set bonuses to Custom (orange) items. These modifications can only be transferred to an item that is equipped in the same slot. This does not apply to all items with a set bonus, only those where the set bonus is attached to the Armoring modification.

I believe many people where under the impression that we would be able to pull set bonuses from most gear, not almost none. It seems like only the top tier set bonus can be relocated at this time. Any chance this will be expanded or lower tier? If not, what is the reason?

David: We’re sorry if the note confused anyone. You can pull set bonuses from all new items with set bonuses going forward. There are not any current plans to expand this to old items. The tech that allows us to distribute set bonuses as part of the armoring is new, and there are limitations to how much we can change items that players already possess. That means we can have the set bonus on all armorings that were created for 1.2 or later, but that old armor still has the set bonus on the shell item.

This seems like a disingenuous answer, as it was in patch 1.2 that most of the set items were converted from having built in stats to having an armoring mod. So in effect, the Armoring mod for columi and rakata gear was created for 1.2. Still not satisfied that we're getting the full story here.

that you do with the pvp? because now does not exist! :mad:

a player just wants to do pvp pvp at most once a little pve for Equipment. 4 wz? this is boring, always the same, no open pvp, and now the survey request pvppve!! pvp players definitely we will go from here if no urgent action is taken, most of my clan and no play ...

thanks for listening