[POLL] Extra Character Slots per Server?

TolaSrrup

I meant you don't need one of each. You can roll a Scoundrel and a Sniper, or an Operative and a Gunslinger, and get the class story from each faction and the role (and more or less the play-style) from each advanced class.

Ah there you are. ;)

I get what you're saying and, technically, you don't need more than one character at all. I still think there is a difference in the way I play my Sniper versus my Gunslinger. There are different talent trees, but there are a few differences that change the way I play either, even with the "same talent tree." For instance, I find Sniper is more of a "turret" position than a gunslinger, which I tend to "run and gun" with more.

I'm not really debating you at this point because I do truly see where you are coming from. I agree with you in the sense the "mirror" classes are almost identical (which I still think is unfortunate), but the differences for me are substantial enough to strongly desire the chance to play them all.

I didn't consider the differences between male and female and light and dark between the same overall story (though I usually bring that up right away). Again, like your example of Sniper and Gunslinger (for instance) the differences are subtle but are still there and substantial enough (for someone like me) to really want to experience them.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim I read every possible info there was pre-release but considered myself somewhat well-informed. On 13.12. I had no idea about legacy and that there could be an advantage to have imps and reps on same server. In fact, we discussed it within our small guild, whether there is ANY reason to have them on same server...so all of us rolled reps elsewhere, just in case we want all 8 slots per side.

I apologize for spamming the thread all of a sudden. I also initially intended a 4/4 split. Then I realized there were 8 classes per side and decided to make all my imps on one server and pubs on another. Then the guild summit came where I learned about Legacy (for the first time) and one of the devs said something about how you'd have to have pub and imps in order to fully experience the legacy system (something about cross-faction required Legacy armor). So, I broke down and did the 4/4 split again.

Either way, they should be encouraging us to play on the same server (especially since transfers and then merges are coming, reducing the total number of servers). The only way to do that is to allow us more character slots. Leveling is far too easy in this game (imo.. sitting on 5 50s and my 6th is currently level 28). I'm already concerned about when I cap all 8.

Two to four extra slots isn't enough.

At least sixteen slots total (eight extra) makes sense, even if players have to purchase the slots beyond eight!

Agreed, 16 slots per server would be perfect. Already leveled 6/8 Imperial toons to 50 on Black Vulkars. Would be nice if I didn't have to use a different server to play my Republic toons.

An idea that we've discussed in my guild for each species/character you get to 50, 2 slots. IE if you get 1 Sith Pureblood to 50 that opens up 2 slots.. one for levelling it to 50, and one for opening it up to the species. So if you got a second pureblood to 50- that'd be 1 opened up character slot. by this time a lot of people have their character slots filled, ie name savers for a specific class for when they can open the race, or because they have over 5 50's. With the legacy, they really should have opened up a few extra slots so that people who do have their slots almost full can make a class with the species they'd want, ie a twi'lek trooper or twi'lek warrior. I mean i have characters on other servers because of wanting to play both sides, and different races. because the story does change a little when you play a different type of character. Twi'lek's and humans are the norm for pub. and norm for the SI, however a mirilan changes the story a little. There really should be a way to implement more than 8 slots. so that people get the most out of their game play. I for one I LOVE the smuggler story so much, i'd like to have a multitude of smugglers. but i can't cause i want to play other classes. unfortunately many people like me are unable to do what they would like because of lack of space for slots. so.. I say yes to 8 more + slots. PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE

I'm not really debating you at this point because I do truly see where you are coming from. I agree with you in the sense the "mirror" classes are almost identical (which I still think is unfortunate), but the differences for me are substantial enough to strongly desire the chance to play them all..

You make a lot of good points. For the record, I do agree that adding more character slots would be a good thing - and I really like the idea of being able to unlock them through legacy as it would reward playing the game (and address the "want vs need" issue with extra slots). :)

It's mind boggling to me that they don't let us have more character per server as is, and seem to just tell us to "reroll extra alts on a new server" despite the fact that that pretty well defeats the entire purpose of legacy. It's these limitations that are going to prevent me from having my legacy together since I can't fit them all on one server.

Well, you'd need 8 to get all 8 stories and the general flavor of each advanced class. Granted, the Republic and Imperial advanced classes aren't exactly the same, but the roles they fill are the same. You don't need to have a Gunslinger, Scoundrel, Sniper and Operative to feel you're getting everything the game has to offer.

Also, they did announce from the beginning that the Legacy perks applied to both factions on the same server, even though Legacy hadn't been implemented at that time. We all knew something was coming, even though we didn't know the specifics.

So, I agree with having more character slots, but not that Bioware owes it to us. Not at this point in the game.

That being said, with the species unlocks, it would have been nice if some kind of species change (paid or not) would have been implemented, as that's something that people who did create 8 characters in the same legacy can't take advantage of. And once the game adds additional classes, I think they should add 2 character slots per base class added, so you could get the two stories and the flavor for each advanced class.

As it is now, I think paid, or Legacy-based, character slot unlocks (up to 16) would be reasonable, but not that they're owed to us.

You're right and wrong. BW doesn't "owe" me anything. However, if they want to increase the overall actractivenss of players to keep playing why not allow them the ability to at least play each AC? 16 character slots isn't really that much of a stretch imo.

I don't claim I read every possible info there was pre-release but considered myself somewhat well-informed. On 13.12. I had no idea about legacy and that there could be an advantage to have imps and reps on same server. In fact, we discussed it within our small guild, whether there is ANY reason to have them on same server...so all of us rolled reps elsewhere, just in case we want all 8 slots per side.

Well, the information was out there before release, but I don't think anyone had imagined how desirable Bioware would make it game-play-wise to play both factions, so it probably wasn't an issue for a lot of guilds at that time.

Actually, our guild has a policy of not allowing members to create characters of the opposite faction on the same server if there's PVP in the game (so you won't compete against the guild), so we originally couldn't play cross-faction on the same server. Once 1.2 was announced, though, and it became apparent how central Legacy was to the game, everyone created cross-faction alts and we created a second guild on the same server - and we're planning inter-guild PVP events once we get our Imps leveled high enough. :D

I think for guilds like yours and mine, it's probably a bigger issue than for people who were free to create characters of both factions on the same server from the get-go. My roster of characters would probably have looked a bit different if I had planned it out beforehand.

I would like more slots, but I doubt they will give them away from free when it is something that people would be willing to pay for.

I would pay $2 to add one slot to a server of my choice or 5$ to add three slots. Maybe with a cap of 16 or 24 slots per server.

For crying out loud ...

We don't even have a freaking pool system.

But! I would really like some extra character slot for server. Pretty much like any other MMO out there. Not asking them for free (that would be way too nice) but I would gladly pay a couple of € for an extra slot.

Well, for me another 8 slots are the minimum I need, especially with the new species coming somewhen in the future. The last comment regarding this issue was from mid-March and since then there was only silence.

I have a deadline set for myself for some news regarding more character slots, it is roughly two more weeks, then my sub is up for renewal, which will not happen if there is no positive news. If this happens, I will keep my eyes open for news on more slots and return once they are implemented. I do not mind having a mixed earn/buy option for character slots, I would gladly pay for more if the prices are reasonable, but I can not be bothered if you have to grind for them.

On my main server I have 8 characters, 7 in the same faction and several of them are bound to fixed groups with friends (different friends with different days to play, so I can/won't play them without them). I want to play every storyline with both ACs and with male/female characters for the different conversation options and voices. And I want to connect them to my legacy.

So while it is not a game breaker, for me it is a show stopper right now.

I meant you don't need one of each. You can roll a Scoundrel and a Sniper, or an Operative and a Gunslinger, and get the class story from each faction and the role (and more or less the play-style) from each advanced class.

You don't need one of each but it is nice to have enough slots for them (16) as it would allow people who like alts like myself to level one of each AC on both factions, as well as allowing for LS/DS choices, gender, and species differences between them and it would allow us to keep all our alts together under the same legacy on the same server

Defently needs 8 more slots my game time ending and i will prob only subscribe when i get 8 more slots. If they charge cash for extra slots then i guess they like shooting them self in the foot. From what i hear ( not play game for like a month now) and see on forums, it looks like they want to scare away peeps inside of trying to keep them. So yea payed slot is a big nono. The way the made legacy they should have relized peeps will want to play other STORYs...

Yes, please. 8 is too few. 10-12 would feel right if I want to replay my favourite class stories with a different alignment. And no, I don't want to roll characters on other servers for this purpose.