Bombers have ruined everthing that was GSF!!

Lugaidh

Thanks a padload Bioware for completely ruining GSF. Starfighting in the Star Wars setting is, by definition, fast-paced, on the edge dogfighting. Now half the people putt putt along in their tank slugs and dogfighting has become a thing of the past. GSF gave me, for the first time in a very long time, a type of pvp that I can truly enjoy. I was completely hooked. Now you devs have ruined that for us GSF lovers. Flying around killing an endless chain of drones and mines that you can't even target with a gunship much less kill with a fighter or scout without being killed yourself is NOT starfighting!!

Now if someone like myself who NEVER gets on the forums takes to time to post then you know LOADS of other people are extremely dissatisfied with what GSF has become since you've added those flying tank turds.

People have griped in the past about gunships but they actually have very balanced strengths and weaknesses and fit in the GSF landscape quite well. If you're skilled enough gunships are not invincible. To be a successful gunship pilot one has to actually have skills. To be a successful bomber pilot, on the other hand, all one has to do is get a moderate amount of points into their ship and be able to mash the right and left mouse buttons repeatedly.

I liked GSF so much that I had pilots on both side of the factions. I have an imp pilot and a pub pilot on two different servers. Most folks on the Ebon Hawk and Jedi Covenant servers know or have heard of Baelyn-tiel. So anyone who knows me or knows of me, knows that I play a LOT of GSF and had always defended it against people criticized it because they couldn't master it in two days. Now any Roger Rookie can rack up the kills and assists just by flying a bomber. I tried out the bomber and I was getting in the top five on the lists with NOT ONE SINGLE POINT put into ship upgrades. That is ludicrous! Moreover, flying a bomber is slow-paced and boring.

I'm pretty much ready to quit GSF altogether. It's not because I think bombers are invincible. It is because they've turned starfighting into a drone/mine clean up match. That's not the GSF I have come to love to play.

I really got into GSF because I've maxed-leveled pretty much all of my characters. I'm actually thinking about cancelling my subscription that I've had since beta.

Thanks devs for ruining a brilliant stroke in pvp.

- Baelyn-tiel, former GSF junky

Edited by Lugaidh

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey the dronecarriers are the problem, the minelayer has a lot less utility and mines well, just explode at a limited range, while drones tend to shoot again and again with full accuracy and power. Seriously, almost all the problems people have pointed out with the bomber are with the drones, I myself predicted something like this would happen and chose minelayer over dronecarrier on that hunch.

Thanks a padload Bioware for completely ruining GSF. Starfighting in the Star Wars setting is, by definition, fast-paced, on the edge dogfighting. Now half the people putt putt along in their tank slugs and dogfighting has become a thing of the past. GSF gave me, for the first time in a very long time, a type of pvp that I can truly enjoy. I was completely hooked. Now you devs have ruined that for us GSF lovers. Flying around killing an endless chain of drones and mines that you can't even target with a gunship much less kill with a fighter or scout without being killed yourself is NOT starfighting!!

Now if someone like myself who NEVER gets on the forums takes to time to post then you know LOADS of other people are extremely dissatisfied with what GSF has become since you've added those flying tank turds.

People have griped in the past about gunships but they actually have very balanced strengths and weaknesses and fit in the GSF landscape quite well. If you're skilled enough gunships are not invincible. To be a successful gunship pilot one has to actually have skills. To be a successful bomber pilot, on the other hand, all one has to do is get a moderate amount of points into their ship and be able to mash the right and left mouse buttons repeatedly.

I liked GSF so much that I had pilots on both side of the factions. I have an imp pilot and a pub pilot on two different servers. Most folks on the Ebon Hawk and Jedi Covenant servers know or have heard of Baelyn-tiel. So anyone who knows me or knows of me, knows that I play a LOT of GSF and had always defended it against people criticized it because they couldn't master it in two days. Now any Roger Rookie can rack up the kills and assists just by flying a bomber. I tried out the bomber and I was getting in the top five on the lists with NOT ONE SINGLE POINT put into ship upgrades. That is ludicrous! Moreover, flying a bomber is slow-paced and boring.

I'm pretty much ready to quit GSF altogether. It's not because I think bombers are invincible. It is because they've turned starfighting into a drone/mine clean up match. That's not the GSF I have come to love to play.

I really got into GSF because I've maxed-leveled pretty much all of my characters. I'm actually thinking about cancelling my subscription that I've had since beta.

My sentiments exactly. I fly as Layda and Bandeeto on harbinger and fly almost exclusively strike fighters. Although I can still do considerably well given the circumstances, the game is not enjoyable. Employing new strategies to combat the new ships was expected, but the support classes are hard counters to any other class of star fighter.

I'm not complaining that I cant kill bombers, or that I cant kill gunships, I handle them fine. Its just that every single match is a bomber/gunship match where the gameplay is completely re-mapped. Gunships used to annoy me as they detracted from ship-ship battles with ION rail guns that left you dead in the water, and removed all defensive capabilities you had. Now, you have mad it so the Gunships are even more fortified, not only do you have to out pilot the fighters of the other team, but you have to destroy all the railgun sniping drones as well. And what happens when you approach the drones? Seeker mines....

I like the idea of introducing ships, but this was a mistake. You got told all this in the beta testing, and it didn't change.

Can we have a dev explain some of the decisions and gameplay objectives these classes were supposed to bring, and why they have removed ship-ship dogfighting from the core gameplay model?

I just disagree with everything in the OP. Bombers have dramatically improved the game.

1- Not everyone is bribed into flying Flashfires.

2- Turret builders are super interesting and strategic.

3- Something with a lot of hull changes which weapons are good.

4- Something with a slow speed changes which weapons are good.

5- Something with no missile break raises the value of missiles.

The weak design parts about bombers are mostly based on the heavy reliance on AI components.

I don't feel that everything is a "drone mine cleanup match". Drones are a huge cooldown and a priority target. Mines are just mostly things to avoid, but can be aoed down.

I also really like the EMP components.

Really liking bombers.

I am currently facing a Republic Bomber. He dropped ONE mine. I shot it at 2k meters away, 7 times with a fully upgraded Sting. ZERO damage. He's in his bomber again, shooting me from 20,000 meters away. I've reported him dozens of times.....Bioware doesn't do jack )(*^%^% about it. I understand this game is buggy, but people abuse it without ANY consequence. Now I know everyone wants to scream hax all the time, because they don't understand the game, however, sometimes it's true. Maybe this game would've done a lot better if they just didn't sit around soaking up money from the Cartel Market, and actually tried.

I just disagree with everything in the OP. Bombers have dramatically improved the game.

1- Not everyone is bribed into flying Flashfires.

2- Turret builders are super interesting and strategic.

3- Something with a lot of hull changes which weapons are good.

4- Something with a slow speed changes which weapons are good.

5- Something with no missile break raises the value of missiles.

The weak design parts about bombers are mostly based on the heavy reliance on AI components.

I don't feel that everything is a "drone mine cleanup match". Drones are a huge cooldown and a priority target. Mines are just mostly things to avoid, but can be aoed down.

I also really like the EMP components.

Really liking bombers.

Ok but now its

1- Everyone is bribed into flying Bombers or Gunships.

2- All Star fighters are encouraged to be Deployable Turrets. Mines and gunships will protect from anything other than gunships.

3 - Large hull values means Gunships are even more valuable and necessary.

4- slow speeds enhance the chance to hit with Railguns and gives drones more dps time! This makes gunships more valuable. Ion railguns slow them even further.... Actually its slows everything in the area!

5- The gunships that carry proton torpedoes now make sense.

Did i mention how awesome gunships were?

Edited by Yndras

Ok but now its

No, strike fighters are also much more valuable, as their missiles have more targets, and the finesse scout is also much more worth flying. The meta is MUCH improved.

2- All Star fighters are encouraged to be Deployable Turrets. Mines and gunships will protect from anything other than gunships.

If the gunship has to live in a minefield, that's both clearable and a limitation on his movement.

Despite the endless forum QQ over gunships, the best premades were maybe two of those and 6+ flashfire. Despite appearances, a gunship does less damage per energy bar and per second than a strike or scout, the perk here is that the gunship can attack from outside of mine range. A gunship clearing mines and drones is serving a support role for a strike or scout.

4- slow speeds enhance the chance to hit with Railguns and gives drones more dps time! This makes gunships more valuable. Ion railguns slow them even further.... Actually its slows everything in the area!

It also makes strikes more valuable, and by a larger degree.

The buff that gave them directional shields cause this. Protorps are actually relatively poor versus bombers, compared to some other options. However, yes, the weakest ship in the game is now worth flying.

Despite what you may think, gunships needed strategic value before, and scouts needed less. And these happened. Much more importantly, strikes are in a much better place now, instead of having no value at all. And, of course, we also have added bombers to the game, which are cool to fly, and given new purpose to the type 1 scouts.

Ok but now its

Did i mention how awesome gunships were?

AGREED!! ^^

I was just in a match about 10 minutes ago and I was in a match against an eight-man team. FOUR of those ships were bombers. For one bomber, even one that is hardly upgraded I might add, to come in and hold a satellite all by himself against four attackers is ridiculous.

Oh, and let's not forget the 'hiding the drone inside your ship' bs. If it wasn't bad enough the devs have made it so one can actually fly inside turrets. Now one can actually fly up to a ally drone/mine and it's virtually INSIDE their ship, because that is super realistic.

I mainly fly a scout but I have a fully loaded gunship as well. I got fed up with the drones and mines one match that I got my gs out to take them out. I fired repeatedly at them with my reticle dead on and did no damage whatsoever. If I can one shot a defense turret with my fully loaded slug railgun a puny mine or drone should not have zero damage when I shoot at it.

Edited by Lugaidh

AGREED!! ^^

I was just in a match about 10 minutes ago and I was in a match against an eight-man team. FOUR of those ships were bombers. For one bomber, even one that is hardly upgraded I might add, to come in and hold a satellite all by himself against four attackers is ridiculous.

Oh, and let's not forget the 'hiding the drone inside your ship' bs. If it wasn't bad enough the devs have made it so one can actually fly inside turrets. Now one can actually fly up to a ally drone/mine and it's virtually INSIDE their ship, because that is super realistic.

I mainly fly a scout but I have a fully loaded gunship as well. I got fed up with the drones and mines one match that I got my gs out to take them out. I fired repeatedly at them with my reticle dead on and did no damage whatsoever. If I can one shot a defense turret with my fully loaded slug railgun a puny mine or drone should not have zero damage when I shoot at it.

how many ships with EMP did you have?

For one bomber, even one that is hardly upgraded I might add, to come in and hold a satellite all by himself against four attackers is ridiculous.

This is not something that can happen with a moderately skilled group of fighters.

Bombers are strong node defenders, but they're not that strong.

AGREED!! ^^

For one bomber, even one that is hardly upgraded I might add, to come in and hold a satellite all by himself against four attackers is ridiculous.

you, sir, seems to have entirely forgotten about satellite humping. A good scout could hold a node from 7 people. Now, with mine layers, that isn't possible anymore: THATS A GOOD THING (it was usually me doing the pillar humping, too)

Allowing the game to slow down is not a bad thing in this case, it allows for more tactical options with your squad and makes every ship more useful, instead of only having 2 viable ships (mangler and sting)

The crisis your server, and every server it seems, faces is not enough people who have wised up and swapped from sting to blackbolt. It's good to still have the sting there, but with EMP, the blackbolt is a great counter to gunships and bombers

...Although I do acquiesce: railgun turrets are a little bs right now though (tiny nerf on their firing speed, maybe)

No, strike fighters are also much more valuable, as their missiles have more targets, and the finesse scout is also much more worth flying. The meta is MUCH improved.

If the gunship has to live in a minefield, that's both clearable and a limitation on his movement.

Despite the endless forum QQ over gunships, the best premades were maybe two of those and 6+ flashfire. Despite appearances, a gunship does less damage per energy bar and per second than a strike or scout, the perk here is that the gunship can attack from outside of mine range. A gunship clearing mines and drones is serving a support role for a strike or scout.

It also makes strikes more valuable, and by a larger degree.

The buff that gave them directional shields cause this. Protorps are actually relatively poor versus bombers, compared to some other options. However, yes, the weakest ship in the game is now worth flying.

Despite what you may think, gunships needed strategic value before, and scouts needed less. And these happened. Much more importantly, strikes are in a much better place now, instead of having no value at all. And, of course, we also have added bombers to the game, which are cool to fly, and given new purpose to the type 1 scouts.

I fly a strike. I have them mastered on both imp and Republic. Strikes were much better off before this patch. If you don't agree then you know very little about the game.

its as simple as that.

I have took-en out A LOT of bombers with my pubs mid tier upgraded scout with there drones out. I don't get all this crying about how are they are to kill. So scouts cant just cowboy a nod by themselves....maybe this is a good thing?

I have also "took-en" out bombers. Destroying them is not the issue. Its when there are many in one place along with gunships.

For the record, took-en, is not a word.

I don't really want to bash but...

To all the gunship pilots that complain about shooting drones and mines,

Please learn to aim :rolleyes:

Yes they are tiny targets but you have a few pixels to aim at, ofcourse lower resolutions will benefit being able to hit the target better :cool:

Personally I have very little trouble AoEing down entire swaths of mines and drones for my teammates to swoop in and clean up the sattelites.

Since 2.6 came out I have qued a lot more for GSF. This is mostly due to the implementation of deathmatch and bombers. I love using the repair drone and healing people on my team. I would actually go and buy Cartel Coins if they provided a more healing focused bomber/new ship class. Instead of dropping an autofiring railgun drone, maybe have a small, dot heal you have to fire on ally ships. I doubt a healcentric ship will ever be made though, most people probably just want to dps and dogfight. Just my 2 cents though.

+1.

I still enjoy GSF and I hope future patch balances will bring back the fun. But boy, what numbskull thought bombers would be a good idea?

at the very least, let us alter components in-match. going in blind is getting annoying.

Edited by dancezwithnubz

Instead of dropping an autofiring railgun drone, maybe have a small, dot heal you have to fire on ally ships.

I think this would be great. A beam of sorts which, based on loadout and ability used would provide various buffs to friendly ships: repair hull, refill shields, refill missiles, increase accuracy, refill engine etc. A true support ship where you'd still have to aim, but on friendly - not enemy- ships.

I don't understand the hate for the Bomber. It can be something of a PITA in Domination, but that's about it. Frankly, I regard 'em as big fat targets. Just do the same as in PvE - take out the healer first (aka the Repair Drone), then the "adds" if any, and then shoot down Blimpie Bomber with the weapons of your choice.

If all else fails, whip out a Quell/Pike and hit 'em with EMP. Trust me. With proper armor you'll live (and no, Evasion armor is not proper armor for a Pike - this ain't a Scout we're talkin' about here; it's a man's ship that requires a man's armor). If you're looking for something to target, with the missile, the bomber itself is an excellent bet.