Shutting off one time password requirement

reyona

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm getting kind of tired of SWTOR not recognizing the same computer I've been using since I started playing and requiring a one time password that takes awhile to arrive. This is especially irritating when I was in the middle of something such as gsf, an operation, or RP, wound up getting DCed and wind up missing out on the whole thing because a server doesn't know how to recognize the same device that an account has been using.

Or obtain a FIXED ("static") IP address from your service provider.(1) This will cost way more than a security key, since the app is a free download, AND having a key gives those 100 CC per month (even when you go off subscriber status).

(1) The server demands a one-time password whenever it sees that you log into either the website or the game from a different *public*(2) IP address than the one used the previous time. So if you read the forums on your smartphone when out and about, and then play the game at home, that's two different IP addresses, and it will ask for an OTP every single time you play after reading the forums while you are out.

(2) Addresses in these ranges are NOT public: 192.168.0.* to 192.168.255.*; 10.whatever; 172.16.whatever to 172.31.whatever. It's normal to have an address in one of these ranges (often 192.168.1.whatever) on your PC, and the "NAT" (network address translation) feature of your router will take care of translating them to the public address on the "outside" of the router. That "outside" address normally changes each time you reboot the router OR each time it loses (even for a moment) its outside connection. If you pay your ISP enough extra, they'll let you have one that doesn't change each time, called "static". It generally isn't worth bothering with.

Or obtain a FIXED ("static") IP address from your service provider.(1)

Or contact your ISP and request that they put a longer "hold time" on your (or everyone's) IP address.

The "hold time" is how long a service will reserve an IP address for a customer. Many ISPs will just give out new IP addresses every time you connect, which doesn't affect most people. But, by increasing the hold time, your ISP will give you the same external IP address as you last had, if you log back in within a day or two.

(This may not help if you do log in from say, your phone and your gaming rig.)

In my case, my ISP seems to have a good hold time. (I don't have a "static" IP.) My IP very seldom changes (requiring a one time password), usually as result of hardware changes either at the ISP, or within my own rig - maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

Using a security key does prevent the OTP, but it does then require you to put 2 passwords in each time (I think?).

Edited by JediQuaker

The way to shut it off is to add a security key to your account. This will also give you an additional 100 cc each month.

Yeh, you can't go wrong with this. It's a win-win. Just take good precaution and store the number they give you to set up the security key somewhere you won't loose it.

Using a security key does prevent the OTP, but it does then require you to put 2 passwords in each time (I think?).

It does, but the second password is generated on your smartphone (or wherever you run the key app), and therefore it's always available. You aren't left wondering whether you'll get bitten by an email glitch each time you go to log in.

On the other hand, you do have to make sure the time in your phone (etc) is correct, but that's not normally a problem.

You don't even need a phone for the two-factor authentication. They're using a standardized scheme, there are apps for it for about any platform. Just, as others said, make sure to keep the secret you are given when activating your key. I don't think you can recover it from the authenticator app.