A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

There is a difference between voicing displeasure while doing what one can to alleviate the problem while you wait for a solution, and screaming that there is a problem and demanding that it be fixed while refusing to make use of the means at your disposal to alleviate the problem while you wait for a solution. In my opinion, the former is rational and mature, and the latter is entitled.

I used the word "entitled" in place of the more correct "false sense of entitlement".

So your assertion is: Because I do not want to spend my limited time (6 hours per week) grinding credits every other week so I can go on one raid on the other week I am irrational, immature and have a false sense of entitlement?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting reflection.

This thread is about high repair costs and ppl be feed up on beeng ignored by BioWare.

Still ppl are here defending the latest changes. An telling all of us not having the same oppinoin, that we do not know how to play and that to have fun you must pay by doing boring stuff. Like dalylies.

Why cant you create your own thread where you say that you love the new repair costs?

And find everything BioWare does is fantastic, how you love beeing ignored by the so called customer support etc.

I have been playing since start but will not continnue long if BioWare doesnt change and become more customer focused.

Please feel free call me a troll and every insult you can. That will not change the fact that a lot of ppl feel ingored and are canceling their subscriptions. It would be interesting to se a poll. Pro high repair costs post 1.7 and before 1.7.

I dare you to create a thread pro high repair costs lets see wich thread will have most posts.

It looks like many of us here are missing something. This is not a "grind" mechanic. It's not a "punishment" either. There is no "entitlement" (or lack thereof) at play here, and bickering at each other won't resolve anything: we are the players, and what we say matters. So, let's all play together well here!

Anywhooo...

What we have here is an economic effect without an economic impetus. Through an intentional 'fix' (cause) came an unintentional effect. Since repair costs effect everybody across all levels of the game (who the vast majority experience PvE combat - to some degree or another). It can be likened to interest rates. So, with this 'fix' came a 2-fold (in my experience) increase in repair costs (hereafter referred to as "interest rates"). In the real world, central banks monitor, adjust, and at times, increase interest rates to combat inflation (or the degradation of the real vaue of currency).

Here too, the devs have increased interst rates, but there was no inflation to speak of. In fact, on the sever I frequent, prices for some of the most expesive items have actually decreased over the last two months! So, as a collective whole, we are now asked to do the same with increased overhead or marginal cost. To achieve equilibrium in what we personally do, many of us have chosen to do less (i.e. less grouping for FPs, less teaching and helping the less-geared or less-experienced players: less overall). Some may choose to increase their prices in the GTN, in a futile attempt to balance their budget to no avail - as less will be spent on the same items as was a week ago. Again, higher interest rates lower inflation (or price of goods).

I try to remind myself that credits are like score points in any old video game. However, when they can be traded for or redeemed for items in-game, they then have a tradeable current value based on the mean aggregate earnings of the 80th percentile: ergo "currency." We are all talking about the same thing here but, for varios reasons and perspectives, are all beating around the bush. We are talking about in-game "money." In the end, this is all it is. And, no one likes to have their spending power diminished.

So, to the devs I ask, "please lower the interest rate (or economic burden) on the repair costs by 50% (like it was previously for many many moons)?"

Kind regards.

(btw, toasting in and epic bread) - Cheers all!

subnormals. subnormals everywhere.

i can make more than 1million per day if i want to or maybe 1.5million and with lucky 2million per day

of course i don't do it because it is bored but it is posible

ps: bioware said they will add less repair taxes

How nice for you. I have never had 1.5M combined across all my characters. Right now I am sitting on a whopping 287k total.

This must be why I don't think this is that big of an issue since i'm sitting on 50 mil atm and can make 200-500k in 1-3 hrs of doing daillies on whatever toon i'm trying to get a new relic on, or by playing the GTN ect ect.

THIS is why there needs to be a different way to reduce in-game credits.

Instead of game killing repair costs, how about a credit ceiling? A 2M per character and 5M per account limit would stop the rampant inflation on the GTN without screwing all of us non-tycoons. IF that was EAware's intent (reducing GTN prices). If it wasn't, then what the hell IS the increase for?

Edited by TheSkate

THIS is why there needs to be a different way to reduce in-game credits.

Instead of game killing repair costs, how about a credit ceiling? A 2M per character and 5M per account limit would stop the rampant inflation on the GTN without screwing all of us non-tycoons. IF that was EAware's intent (reducing GTN prices). If it wasn't, then what the hell IS the increase for?

You'll lose a lot of subs at that cap, too. 5M is nothing.

If you really want to destroy credits, put in a "tax" that destroys some fraction of a percentage of everyone's credit balance every day.

But... we're assuming that destroying credits was the reason EA implemented this "bug fix". That gives them credit for thinking ahead, which is probably far too much credit. It also means they are foolish because, at least on one server, there is deflation.

Bottom line is they owe us an answer...

Edited by DarthTHC

I'm interested to know why this change was made, and how it affects the players that can't access Section X, or don't have the Event Equipment Authorization. That's a group of people who ARE being penalized, no matter how you slice it. They're losing out already, in available resources to begin with, and now they're being forced to pay more to repair regularly. That's just not fair.

I understand the idea of marking up the repair costs, because everyone is rich, but that's just insane to think that we all have the same access to the same resources. We don't.

Not everyone has the same amount of time to play, not everyone is subscribed, and not everyone enjoys dailies.

Put the damn repair costs where they were. Don't fix what ain't broke!!

IF that was EAware's intent (reducing GTN prices). If it wasn't, then what the hell IS the increase for?

Good question. No one in Bio seems inclined to utter a word

Hey folks,

I just wanted to step in here to let you know that we are actively investigating this and we will update you as soon as we have more information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured that we're looking into it.

Update hit what the 12th? This particular thread the 14th though there were earlier ones deleted and redirected to this one. Bio responds with above statement. So, all we can conclude is that after 4 more days Bio has learned nothing despite multiple threads by it's community working out what happened. That or they lied. Or they just want us to stop posting and live with it.

Other problems were addressed immediately, this one has hit a week now and Bio seems happy to let the subs continue to bleed while they sit in silence.

Would it have meant something to you if Bio had made an attempt to respond in the last 4 days somewhere among the 600 additional posts: "This sudden change had greater charges than intended, we are having issue working on a new patch but we are continuing to work on this." or "working as intended you need to adjust, thank you for your input." How many would have felt they were heard and stuck around? Seems such a basic notion from two people talking to an entire corporation.......communication.

Edited by Cindron

So your assertion is: Because I do not want to spend my limited time (6 hours per week) grinding credits every other week so I can go on one raid on the other week I am irrational, immature and have a false sense of entitlement?

I'm not saying that someone who chooses to scream about the higher repair costs and who refuses to do anything to offset the cost of repairs is an immature, irrational person with a false sense of entitlement, but with regards to the higher repair costs, that person may be acting in an irrational and immature manner and displaying signs of a false sense of entitlement regarding the issue of higher repair costs.

I know that the repair costs need to be fixed so that they are based on the item mods and not the shell. I'm not happy that the repair costs are borked at the moment. I know from experience that a person who voices their displeasure in a clam and rational manner will be much greater results than one who chooses to scream and demand. I also know that it will be fixed when it gets fixed, no amount of screaming or demanding on my part will accomplish that any quicker.

So, while I wait for this new bug to be fixed, I have several options.

Option 1-- I can refuse to do anything to earn the extra credits I need to offset the increased repair costs and cut back on, or stop playing altogether, the game I enjoy.

1a--I can do this while voicing my displeasure in calm manner on the forums, or to customer service, etc.

1b--I can do this while screaming and demanding on the forums or to customer service, etc.

1c--I can do this silently and never letting EA/BW know why I and cutting back or quitting.

Option 2-- I can continue to play the game I enjoy by taking some the limited time I have to play and earn the extra credits I need to offset the repair costs. I can do this by running dailies, playing the GTN, or another means. I do not enjoy dailies. I know that they are an easy way to make credits, though. I have the same three sub-options with regards to how I choose to voice my displeasure.

I myself choose option 2a. I choose to continue to play the game I enjoy, by taking some of the limited play time I get to play to earn a few extra credits to pay the higher repair costs. I do not have all week to play. My time in game is very limited, often less than 4 hours a week, and some weeks, I don't even sign on. I have expressed, in a calm and rational manner, my opinion that the higher repair costs are the result of a new and unintended bug and my desire to see that fixed.

Does my choice make me a better person? I don't think so, but in my opinion, it does mean that I am acting in a more rational and mature manner and not displaying a false sense of entitlement regarding the new repair costs.

Let me start straight with what they care about: YOU ARE LOSING MONEY. People are unsubbing left and right because of this and you are losing money. Fix this and you will make more money, easy as that.

Okay, now that that's said, lets get to the player problems.

1. People are more hostile towards new players in flashpoints.

Due to increased repair costs people are less forgiving of new players in flashpoints whose mistakes cause wipes. Instead of explaining the issues and working with the player people will just be kicked because nobody wants to pay 10k a wipe because of a single player.

2. Progression takes a hit.

Guilds will be less willing to wipe over and over again on bosses because of this. If a group wipes 20-30 times on a boss they can't kill it could cost nearly a million credits per player.

3. Casual players can't afford it.

If a person wants to only play a few hours a week and do some ops/HM's they have to spend most of their other time running dailies. Dailies are boring and grindy and nobody wants to spend half their time running them just to fund their other activities.

(Will update as I find more Issues)

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like a petulant child stomping their feet.

1. Valid, but can be remedied by communication with the new player rather than just running off and leaving them to their own devices. This is a fault of the community, not the game.

2. What the hell are you doing wiping 20-30 times taking on a boss? If you don't get it in the first couple of tries, quit and devise a new strategy and try again.

3. Causal players, are by definition, not hardcore and will generally not run these missions. If they do, they will quickly realize they are out of their element and go back to more casual gaming.

I'm sorry, but this just sounds like a petulant child stomping their feet.

1. Valid, but can be remedied by communication with the new player rather than just running off and leaving them to their own devices. This is a fault of the community, not the game.

2. What the hell are you doing wiping 20-30 times taking on a boss? If you don't get it in the first couple of tries, quit and devise a new strategy and try again.

3. Causal players, are by definition, not hardcore and will generally not run these missions. If they do, they will quickly realize they are out of their element and go back to more casual gaming.

1. The problem is not communication with new players. The problem is new players won't speak up for fear of being insta-kicked, then because they didn't speak up they cause a wipe. There could be several complicated, convoluted, community-driven fixes to this, but there's also an easy one: Put the repair costs back to where they don't factor into wipes.

2. Yeah, 20-30 times is excessive but it doesn't take anywhere near that many wipes to get to 250k per person.

3. False assumption on your part. I'm Casual. I've raided quite extensively in this game. I was able to do so because it didn't require the grind that other games did to get consumables and credits to fund the raiding. It's one of the big appeals to me as a casual player - I can do challenging content without doing the tedious, boring garbage. It makes the game worth the subscription fee. If I'm now forced to grind or burn more real money to get the credits to fund my gameplay, I'm forced to reconsider the value of the subscription. Which, in my case and many others, we've done and EA will within 30 days see the full impact of that reconsideration.

EDIT: I guess when that last comes fully into play, those people who support the hideous repair costs - you know, the ones who've nothing better to do than grind dailies on a team of 50's all day - they'll finally have the control over the raid content that they so dearly covet. But that's not going to be good for the game.

Edited by DarthTHC

Part of me wonders if they increased repair costs as a way to punish F2P players and wanted to see if it got noticed. When it was, they came out with "it's a bug." :p

One would think, were one thinking rationally, that the goal would be to encourage F2P players to enjoy the game while showing them glimpses of all the super-cool stuff they could get by investing just a bit of money - 50 cents a day - rather than "punishing" them.

1. The problem is not communication with new players. The problem is new players won't speak up for fear of being insta-kicked, then because they didn't speak up they cause a wipe. There could be several complicated, convoluted, community-driven fixes to this, but there's also an easy one: Put the repair costs back to where they don't factor into wipes.

This.

That's true. His results are different than those "others" which throws doubt on their conclusions, by your own standards.

and the common method used is what a majority of testers polled are getting. IE: there is a problem.

also, he got on some of his characters and found no problems....no discussion of how he tested, did he throw himself off the top of the fleet? environmental damage?? what methods did he use.

Good question. No one in Bio seems inclined to utter a word

Update hit what the 12th? This particular thread the 14th though there were earlier ones deleted and redirected to this one. Bio responds with above statement. So, all we can conclude is that after 4 more days Bio has learned nothing despite multiple threads by it's community working out what happened. That or they lied. Or they just want us to stop posting and live with it.

Other problems were addressed immediately, this one has hit a week now and Bio seems happy to let the subs continue to bleed while they sit in silence.

Would it have meant something to you if Bio had made an attempt to respond in the last 4 days somewhere among the 600 additional posts: "This sudden change had greater charges than intended, we are having issue working on a new patch but we are continuing to work on this." or "working as intended you need to adjust, thank you for your input." How many would have felt they were heard and stuck around? Seems such a basic notion from two people talking to an entire corporation.......communication.

poor communication will kill this game. How hard is it to write out a 2 or 3 sentence post in dev tracker letting us know you are actually interested in the game surviving? No new posts in devtracker since the 17th...everyone on vacation there?

I wont be unsubbing but I certainly won't be running dailies and more with my mains.

Yup! Ditto. My Tank, Heals and DPS have stopped doing anything PUG based. I've too much custom gear to pay for BW's mess up on this one.

Sad part is.. this really screws the casual gamer and new players the most. Those of us that have the creds and know the game know when to back out of a run. :) Sorry new guys..

poor communication will kill this game. How hard is it to write out a 2 or 3 sentence post in dev tracker letting us know you are actually interested in the game surviving? No new posts in devtracker since the 17th...everyone on vacation there?

The silence is deafening. Apparently they were all off for Presidents' Day. Fine, whatever, but a quick note that maintenance will be delayed for the holiday and oh, by the way, we haven't worked out what we borked up with the repair costs yet, but we're still looking, would help. Regular updates. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

and the common method used is what a majority of testers polled are getting. IE: there is a problem.

also, he got on some of his characters and found no problems....no discussion of how he tested, did he throw himself off the top of the fleet? environmental damage?? what methods did he use.

I healed up at the med centre;

I put my companion on passive;

I road out to a group of 4 normal mobs;

stayed on my bike until either knocked of or dead;

did not fight back;

I ported back to the med centre to repair.

Did it twice with each toon and the results were within 10-20 credits each time.

Just so you know.

We agree on this.

The silence is deafening. Apparently they were all off for Presidents' Day. Fine, whatever, but a quick note that maintenance will be delayed for the holiday and oh, by the way, we haven't worked out what we borked up with the repair costs yet, but we're still looking, would help. Regular updates. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp?

Agreed. I find it humorous that the ability to share completed missions was fixed the very next day...yet this, nothing. This is exponentially more hindering for players.

So I decided to try a flash point last night on my now 37th level Shadow tank. But I decided not to tank so I cleared that checkbox and queued as DPS. (Aside: I cannot for the life of me figure out how people say the game mis-assigns them. it's never happened to me!)

Anyway, i get my group instantly and I see it's in progress. Uh oh. I double check that I'm flagged as DPS in the tool and I accept and travel.

First fight in, I know it's trouble.

After the second fight in, I post, "Sorry guys, this won't be worth the repair bills." and /leave.

I could have helped them. I could have taught them the fights and the strategies and shown them the optional skips. I could have flipped over to tanking or even just used more of my tanking skills to keep the adds off the healer because the tank was clearly not capable of doing that. I could have done a lot of things to make that run and possibly future runs for those 3 other players better.

But, repair bills being what they are, my decision was clear.

:(:mad:

Edited by DarthTHC

I'm not trying to disagree with anyone but I haven't noticed the increase. It's so easy to make credits in this game that I just click Repair All and carry on with my business. Not saying it's not an issue, just that I haven't noticed it.

Then again my 50s are only in BM gear so I assume the people this affects are in BiS.

So I decided to try a flash point last night on my now 37th level Shadow tank. But I decided not to tank so I cleared that checkbox and queued as DPS. (Aside: I cannot for the life of me figure out how people say the game mis-assigns them. it's never happened to me!)

Anyway, i get my group instantly and I see it's in progress. Uh oh. I double check that I'm flagged as DPS in the tool and I accept and travel.

First fight in, I know it's trouble.

After the second fight in, I post, "Sorry guys, this won't be worth the repair bills." and /leave.

I could have helped them. I could have taught them the fights and the strategies and shown them the optional skips. I could have flipped over to tanking or even just used more of my tanking skills to keep the adds off the healer because the tank was clearly not capable of doing that. But, repair bills being what they are, my decision was clear.

:(:mad:

Yep. This is true. I usually queue to do the occasional FP if I feel like running one and guildies aren't around or don't feel like doing one. I've only queued once for a FP since these repair costs went into effect, and that was as the tank with a fello guild member on healing; we queued for 2 DPS. I won't enter the queue on my own at ALL. I'll just level an alt or do something else. I rarely have a lot of money on my toons, I don't run dailies very often and I don't really enjoy working the GTN for cash. Up until now, it wasn't a big deal, I made enough to cover the reasonable costs of repair. But now that 2 wipes cost me 30k in repairs, I won't queue. Period. I can't afford to.

It's not worth it Ureal. No matter what you say, or bring up, people will not listen.

When the shoe is on their foot, the, and only then, will they realize what has happened tot his game.

I'm sorry that it came to this for you. Out of everyone I have talked to on the forums, I thought YOU would be here forever. My wife and I recently unsubbed as well. Due to ALL the bs from eaware. This is not the game from beta.

I understand games change from beta on, but this one has gone down the tubes. ( My opinion. people can flame it all they want,it means squat. Just like me saying it).

Good luck to you Ureal. Hope you find a game that is worth your time, and a forum you can "troll" lol.

I am in the same boat.

I wonder on how many subs is TOR sitting right now. Must be a pretty sad number.

Actually this whole game is a big tragedy. Had huge hopes since 200X, it looked so amazing, only to be a huge flop. A flop with EA written all over it.

At least the stories and novels are good, could have been a classic wasn't it a MMO. Quite sad if you ask me, I thought this would be the game of my life, a MMO I would be still picking up to casually raid or have fun some 5 years from now (like WoW). Quite sad :(

I appriciate the well wishes guys. I too thought I would be here for a long time. Hope things turn around for you and those still holding out hope. Burned too many times now by EA for me to stay and my time is more limited now a days to play more than one MMORPG at a time effectively (You were right G). WoW will hold me for a while until something else comes along. Still looking for a non-fantasy MMORPG with staying power ( but not EVE ;) ). Send me a PM if you want to exchange emails ( anyone else that wants to also the offer is open ). :)

Cheers,

Urael :cool:

Yep. This is true. I usually queue to do the occasional FP if I feel like running one and guildies aren't around or don't feel like doing one. I've only queued once for a FP since these repair costs went into effect, and that was as the tank with a fello guild member on healing; we queued for 2 DPS. I won't enter the queue on my own at ALL. I'll just level an alt or do something else. I rarely have a lot of money on my toons, I don't run dailies very often and I don't really enjoy working the GTN for cash. Up until now, it wasn't a big deal, I made enough to cover the reasonable costs of repair. But now that 2 wipes cost me 30k in repairs, I won't queue. Period. I can't afford to.

The tank in my guild is in full DG and has a 30k-40k repair bill after 2 whipes. Are you a tank in full DG?