He's the Cat we all greet as he walks down the street

In his coat of fastidious black:

No commonplace mousers have such well-cut trousers

Or such an impeccable back.

In the whole of St. James's the smartest of names is

The name of this Brummell of Cats;

And we're all of us proud to be nodded or bowed to

By Bustopher Jones in white spats!

(Sorry, I just had to... and I'm not that great at filking things up, so you'll have to put up with the original lyrics.)

Edited by Zandilar

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bustopher Jones is not skin and bones--

In fact, he's remarkably fat.

He doesn't haunt pubs—he has eight or nine clubs,

For he's the St. James's Street Cat!

He's the Cat we all greet as he walks down the street

In his coat of fastidious black:

No commonplace mousers have such well-cut trousers

Or such an impeccable back.

In the whole of St. James's the smartest of names is

The name of this Brummell of Cats;

And we're all of us proud to be nodded or bowed to

By Bustopher Jones in white spats!

(Sorry, I just had to... and I'm not that great at filking things up, so you'll have to put up with the original lyrics.)

Ah, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. I miss that book. Never saw Cats, unfortunately.

Edited by Kioma

As for those who are repulsed by this option you could just make an option in setting to ignore same sex flirt options.

Just noticed this. There is already an option to ignore [Flirt] options - putting in a specific method to remove same-gender [Flirt]s from the game is considered discrimination and Bioware will not tolerate such suggestions on their boards and will not entertain putting such a thing in their game.

If you don't want to kiss a someone, it's pretty simple: don't.

I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts. Edited by Raynezazki

I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts.

There absolutely does need to be some kind of balancing of the dialogue options. There are way too many in which you can only be flirty or mean. Some neutral, charmingly clueless or even downright emotionless responses would be good.

There absolutely does need to be some kind of balancing of the dialogue options. There are way too many in which you can only be flirty or mean. Some neutral, charmingly clueless or even downright emotionless responses would be good.

Not to mention the ability to break off a relationship at any point. There are a couple of hidden [Flirt]s which trick you into relationships...

Exactly.

All or nothing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So maybe open it up to 4 choices instead of 3?

It was suggested in prior incarnations of this thread that the left side of the wheel could be used for flirts and the right side for non-flirt responses. That would make it easy for people to avoid flirting with people they don't want to (they stay on the right side of the dialogue wheel) and also opens more spaces for conversational options.

<shrugs> As ideas go I think it's a good one.

[*] Same gender romance/flirt options have been confirmed for Rise of the Hutt Cartel and beyond, per Jeff Hickman's State of the Blog #2. Players are more than welcome to express their opinions about this, but please do so while being respectful of each other. [/color]

Here is the bottom line... Leliana in "Dragon Age: Origins" had fantastic romance options, which catered to both heterosexual and same sex players. Unless the romance options have some sort of meaning, their existence within the game will only feel like pandering. Since the same-sex romance options will only be available in "Rise of the Hutt Cartel", I think adding them last second is a complete waste of time. I am currently at level 23, and I am bored as all hell. If the romance options were available during the journey, I think the pc and npcs would be able to build meaningful relationships. As a result of the same-sex romance options being tact onto the end, I personally think their inclusion was a last second attempt to bring in more players.

Second, "Star Wars: The Old Republic" does not have any good looking npcs, which I would like to engage within a relationship. I have two boring and ugly npcs at level twenty three, and I only use one of them for grinding purposes.

Finally, unlike the BioWare game "Dragon Age: Origins", "Star Wars: The Old Republic" has many flaws with: main-class story pacing, long drags between levels, long drags between companion join ups, and too many game stopping lulls. I am currently sitting at level 23, and my next main-class mission is at level 27. Even though the class missions are solid, the distance between them causes a serious lull. If the romances were triggered along the journey, the lull between class missions would not feel so daunting.

Just my two cents.

FYI - I started to play "Star Wars: The Old Republic" about a week ago, and I am already considering leaving the game. I bought a short-term subscription and some cartel coins. Once I got to the long lulls between class missions, I became extremely bored with the game. Sure, the side quests are interesting, but they get in the way of immersion. Adding stronger inter-companion relationships would have gone a along way. It is unfortunate that companion conversations are limited to the ship, for they would have broken up some of the monotony. "Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic" has strategically placed companion triggers, which helped create a natural flow to the pc and npc dynamic. I wish those triggers were within "Star Wars: The Old Republic".

Edited by Linyivee

I've noticed that too. Just had a convo with my smuggler and Risha where he downright yelled at her, telling her she's not his type while the other too were flirt options. I found that a little odd. A polite decline would have been sufficient. It just really didn't fit the way I play hin.

I've noticed that too. Just had a convo with my smuggler and Risha where he downright yelled at her, telling her she's not his type while the other too were flirt options. I found that a little odd. A polite decline would have been sufficient. It just really didn't fit the way I play hin.

The Flirt or Deathly Hate options do make me a little bit concerned for the people who wrote the conversations, though. Have all their romances either been very flirty to begin with or been shot down in flames of aggression and fury?

It's just worrying that the game is portraying this as 'normal'.

Its funny, as someone whose characters literally ONLY gets hit on by people she isn't going to be interested in, I like the really forceful/insulting ways you can turn them down, and have no need or desire for anything neutral. In regard to an earlier comment about Leliana and DAO in general, yes she was very awesome, and even with the mod that let female Wardens romance Morrigan I still almost always picked Leliana. Leliana is as good an example as any that limits are pointless, because from all the evidence I've ever seen Leliana is clearly a lesbian, yet she can be romanced by a male Warden. And thats all fine and good, because if somebody wants to romance Leliana they should be able to. The same would be true of Morrigan, she should've been romancable by everyone also despite the fact that she seemed more on the straight side (though she all but confirmed having slept with women before, when she talked about how she had to sleep with Templars from time to time, and as we all know thats not a male-only group) . Obviously DA2 did away with those annoying limitations, and that made the game that much better (which, as it turned out, was especially important because there weren't many actual improvements in DA2 overall) . It doesn't really matter what a character's starting sexual preferences are, you can make them like Leliana where they seem to be Lesbian, Isabella where they clearly go both ways, Morrigan who seems more straight, or Merrill who doesn't really seem to be predefined in any way, so long as you've got the same option to romance them that the male players do, all is good.

As for the more general comments about breaks in the storyline and it getting boring, try some of the 'warzones', the PvP mini-games which are generally really fun and help you level up in the process. I don't know which class you're playing, so if you've got nothing but ugly and annoying teammates there's really not a whole lot you can do about that except be patient, when I played as a smuggler I leveled up a fair bit with the robot, even though it was clearly inferior, because I didnt want that annoying dude who constantly hits on you, whatever his name was, around. On my SI, obviously your first character is a monster, who was much more tolerable because he'd rather kill you than hit on you (and of course doesn't do either) . In both cases though, patience leads to eventually ending up with an attractive female teammate who is fun to have around. Same on my JK, only you get her even earlier still, you get a fairly entertaining little robot as your first teammate, then the attractive female. Some classes you get your female teammate first, like the SW class that I sadly haven't done yet (I tried it, but just a few levels worth, back when I was trying out the various classes, I never got far enough to have a teammate), I definitely plan to though.

The bottom line is that obviously they should've been LIs for both male and female characters, you are completely right that the romances make the game so much more fun, and when there's a romance RIGHT THERE and they won't let you play it simply because you're playing a gender they dont approve of, it makes it a lot more annoying than if there never had been any romances in the game at all, like in every other MMO I've ever played. The romances were a unique, and awesome, selling point for this game, and then to not let you play ANY of them unless you play as a male character (or prefer dudes) is wrong beyond belief. Hopefully they mean it when they say they plan to fix things and make things right, its certainly possible that all our efforts have genuinely caused them to change their mind and finally give us the romances that are already there and would be SO simple to let us enjoy too. But my suggestion to you is have patience, you'll get a female teammate sooner or later whatever class you're playing as (I think the other Jedi class, not the Knight but the other one, has the longest wait, I havent played that one but I'm just basing that on what Ive read), and at that point you can give her 'courting' gifts, eventually you'll get a 'dancing' ability where you can dance together, and by using little things like that you can imagine that you're in a romance with them, even though you don't get the actual romance conversations because you're the 'wrong' gender according to whoever it was that decided to design it that way. Its hardly an ideal solution, but it really is better than nothing, so I'd advise patience, enjoy the little things we do have, and enjoy the main storyline, all of the main storylines I've seen so far have been pretty daggone good (I've played the SI and JK storylines all the way through, the SI one is quite simply epic, the JK one is really good too but the ending is kind've of a letdown, sort of a combination of 'that wasnt supposed to happen' and blandness) . Enjoy the 'warzones', level up until you get your female character (some classes even get more than one), enjoy the story, its a really fun game, what you're actually allowed to play of it anyway. It does have its boring parts, but you're pretty much at the worst of it right now, once you get past 'chapter one' things tend to start really picking up, it seems to me. You get the cooler abilities, the battles seem a bit easier, you still level up quickly, maybe even more quickly thanks to those newer abilities, and again once you get your female teammate, all will seem right with the world. Hang in there, because once you get to level 50 not only do you get to do all sorts of really cool and fun things like that Gree event happening right now, but once you have a second character, you can have them get 'married' in your legacy, and then any subsequent characters can be their children, or siblings, or just more characters to get married, however you want to do it. It definitely gets more fun as the game goes along, and hopefully they'll eventually make good on their promise to give us the romances that we want and should've had all along, and then things will be AWESOME :) .

I'm still hoping they go through and edit the chat option choices to clearly state exactly what you're going to say. I hate it when the line reads one way, and plays out a totally different way.

While solo, I don't mind the ESC out route, but while teaming, I feel like I should stick with the one I chose, even if it didn't fit how I saw my character acting.

I'm still hoping they go through and edit the chat option choices to clearly state exactly what you're going to say. I hate it when the line reads one way, and plays out a totally different way.

While solo, I don't mind the ESC out route, but while teaming, I feel like I should stick with the one I chose, even if it didn't fit how I saw my character acting.

The Escape method escape is a bit of a trap - gotten stung a few times with "hmm, they should have a funny reaction to that line, I wonder... no, they simply got ticked off at what I actually said and ended the conversation before I knew it." At least with DA2's awkward para-phrasing, it's possible to jump back to the last Quick-save.

Edited by Palar

The Escape method escape is a bit of a trap - gotten stung a few times with "hmm, they should have a funny reaction to that line, I wonder... no, they simply got ticked off at what I actually said and ended the conversation before I knew it." At least with DA2's awkward para-phrasing, it's possible to jump back to the last Quick-save.

True. My Bounty Hunter had that happen. :/

Heads up everyone, /20130220"]Update 2.0 is now live on the PTS.

It doesn't have the new planet and stuff, but apparently it has some new mechanics including expanding the level cap to 55. I guess this means RotHC isn't too far away now. (Makeb apparently will be tested in a closed beta.)

Noticed that as well - looks like they're testing mostly the mechanics stuff first? I'd go to the PTS myself, but I'm not much of a bug finder and only going in for a "poke around" seems disingenuous.

Not that they use the PTS for actual testing, mind.

Heads up everyone, /20130220"]Update 2.0 is now live on the PTS.

It doesn't have the new planet and stuff, but apparently it has some new mechanics including expanding the level cap to 55. I guess this means RotHC isn't too far away now. (Makeb apparently will be tested in a closed beta.)

I would check it out if my character copy would ever successfully go through XD

I do want to check out the new abilities at least.

The Flirt or Deathly Hate options do make me a little bit concerned for the people who wrote the conversations, though. Have all their romances either been very flirty to begin with or been shot down in flames of aggression and fury?

I usually wonder what their motivation was, in doing this. Is it to add a little drama? Make it more interesting (but then how?)? There's lots of different ways of adding drama to a story, other than letting the char spout overly dramatic lines. Story-writing perhaps? :p

True. I rarely group, but I hate it when my char exhibits totally different behaviour than the previously chosen line would suggest. It's misleading, as simple as that. And annoying to have to do it again.

Was just playing SI and this totally got my hopes up (companion spoiler)
With things like the above I love them a little, but also hate them for letting that carrot dangle before our eyes with no way to reach it. :rolleyes:Here's my Corso. :p There's more but I loved that line. ^^

I'm usually "on time" but it's tricky sometimes. It makes me not want to leave my desk once a convo starts, in case I have to press Escape. :p Edited by Lent_San