[Guide] Companion Crew Skill Bonuses -- Picking the Best Crew Skills for your Class

TheRealBowser

Hi, I just want to say that this is one of the most complete and useful guides about crew skills and it helped a lot when I started planning my crew skills.

But i noticed that in the SWtor page it says that Kira Carsen has [ +1 Treasure Hunting Critical, +2 Synthweaving Critical ] and your guide says [ +5 crit synthweaving, +1 crit treasure hunting ].

Here's the link: http://www.swtor.com/holonet/companions/kira-carsen

Is this a mistake of the official page? Or this guide is not updated?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome job!! Very interesting and well put together. Thanks for this. However I was looking at the armstech for my sniper but during the course of running around and checking skills etc The information the game gives is to use slicing with scavenging for Armstech. From what I just read though your saying to use investigation. I am probably over thinking this and new to the the game. So investigation is really whats needed instead of slicing?? I have been using slicing which has been nice for the money but I haven't gotten anything from it but a few extra credits here and there. Can I get the items needed from Investigation and keep slicing just for the extra cash or is it worth it??

Awesome job!! Very interesting and well put together. Thanks for this. However I was looking at the armstech for my sniper but during the course of running around and checking skills etc The information the game gives is to use slicing with scavenging for Armstech. From what I just read though your saying to use investigation. I am probably over thinking this and new to the the game. So investigation is really whats needed instead of slicing?? I have been using slicing which has been nice for the money but I haven't gotten anything from it but a few extra credits here and there. Can I get the items needed from Investigation and keep slicing just for the extra cash or is it worth it??

Both investigation and slicing are useful with regard to armstech.

• Investigation gives materials to make barrels and weapons
  • Slicing gives the schematics to make augments and materials to make augments

That being said, I find myself making a LOT more barrels than augments for the simple fact that the Armstech augments are not highly sought (in order of what I see being requested in my guild):

1. Fortitude
  2. Power
  3. Accuracy
  4. Critical
  5. Surge

All blue quality mission skill materials are cheap. This is because the overwhelming majority running mission skill missions run them for the purples. So the market is constantly flooded.

In the case of purple quality materials, Thermal Regulators (purple slicing) are consistently the most expensive followed closely by Berylius (purple Underworld Trading metal). Investigation purples are among the cheapest, but they are still more expensive than acquiring the materials through missions

Edited by psandak

• 2 months later...

Wish I found this post before I had gotten 450 in every craft already. My next set of characters I will be using this to min / max crafters. Why have 1 set of 450 crafters when you can have 2 right? :D

(that is if all the original posters info is still up to date)

Edited by Hoshkar

• 2 weeks later...

Is this post up to date still? I notice in the list of crew bonuses that a couple are different that what is posted in the wiki. There are two differences I have spotted as listed below.

For example

Here - Zenith: +1 crit underworld trading, +15 eff Treasure hunting

Wiki - Zenith: +1 Underworld Trading . +15 Investigation

Here - Guss Tuno: +10 eff underworld trading, +2 crit investigation

Wiki - Guss Tuno : +2 Treasure Hunting , +10 Archaeology

Edited by Trickai

Is this post up to date still? I notice in the list of crew bonuses that a couple are different that what is posted in the wiki. There are two differences I have spotted as listed below.

For example

Try http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=726927 instead. Not quite as detailed but gets the point across and it is current.

• 1 month later...

Well for me, i haven't really noticed the difference, i mean when i send 2 companions out to gather say slicing lockboxes, my T7 droid which has 2x slicing critical bonus and my ship droid that has no bonuses at all, the ship droid tends to crit most of the time, while the other not so much at all.

ITs likely just sheer chance, but they need to make it more noticeable for me to even make a change, because right now, its just a waste of time to base it on companion bonuses.

Edited by JamieKirby

Well for me, i haven't really noticed the difference, i mean when i send 2 companions out to gather say slicing lockboxes, my T7 droid which has 2x slicing critical bonus and my ship droid that has no bonuses at all, the ship droid tends to crit most of the time, while the other not so much at all.

ITs likely just sheer chance, but they need to make it more noticeable for me to even make a change, because right now, its just a waste of time to base it on companion bonuses.

Completely disagree. If you track missions and crafting over the long haul (several hundred to several thousand) you will see the crit bonuses do pan out.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ha, I bet you didn't expect to see me again! After taking a 2 year hiatus (or was it 3? It's been a while), I decided to come back and enjoy the game. After a while, it dawned on me that my guide wasn't quite complete.

While my guide was sufficient and the addition of Treek really didn't add anything special, it did bother me that I pushed away the ship droid sensor as an afterthought when in reality it made a dramatic change to the classes.

As such, I've updated my guide to include detailed charts as to how the ship droid effects each and every class.

Unfortunately, this dramatically increased the amount of text in the guide so I had to cut some parts to make it fit.

I tend to ramble a bit on my 'thoughts', so I consolidated them as best as I could, and I entirely cut out the "Miscellaneous Tips" section as not only can other people cover this, but it's all fairly obvious information I'm sure most of you already know very well now that the game has been out for 3 years.

As always, I welcome feedback and if anyone notices any errors or oversights, or miss my rambling and tips and think it would benefit the guide, let me know. (In order for me to effectively include these, I would have to make a new thread with two posts instead of one to cover them.)

For example

On a side note, I want to clear this up. Originally (3 years ago, when I first wrote this guide) this confused me as well, but I can confirm with certainty that all information in this guide is accurate and correct. I actually listed the incorrect information on Guss Tuno originally -- the Guss Tuno in the wiki was from data from the beta (hey, that rhymed).

The fact that Guss Tuno has underworld trading is a quirk, but it's accurate and real. The fact the smuggler has two companions with underworld trading is unique to the smuggler.

I pride myself heavily on keeping accurate and useful information, should anyone notice any errors in the guide please let me know. It's possible I may disappear again but I still update things when I can.

Edited by TheRealBowser

Can somebody with a Smuggler that has already unlocked Guss Tuno please actually verify what his bonuses are in-game? I just started a smuggler, and I was planning on choosing Treasure Hunting, and I already have one char with investigation, so this would really suck.

As mentioned, I already said that I am 100% certain about Guss Tuno. I have Guss Tuno unlocked on one of my characters, this is not second hand information. None of the data in this guide should be inaccurate.

The smuggler has no treasure hunting or archeology bonuses.

Edited by TheRealBowser

As mentioned, I already said that I am 100% certain about Guss Tuno. I have Guss Tuno unlocked on one of my characters, this is not second hand information. None of the data in this guide should be inaccurate.

The smuggler has no treasure hunting or archeology bonuses.

Thanks, I wasn't trying to question your credibility, just all the conversation mentioned was different web sites with different [datamined] information, so I just wanted to make sure what was actually showing in-game. Most of the guides I originally looked at to make my personal spreadsheet were from around launch, before any of the authors could have realistically leveled all 8 ACs and got all companions, and they don't cite (anywhere I've seen) the build# they mined, so it's hard to compare sources that way.

Edited by eartharioch

Thanks, I wasn't trying to question your credibility, just all the conversation mentioned was different web sites with different [datamined] information, so I just wanted to make sure what was actually showing in-game. Most of the guides I originally looked at to make my personal spreadsheet were from around launch, before any of the authors could have realistically leveled all 8 ACs and got all companions, and they don't cite (anywhere I've seen) the build# they mined, so it's hard to compare sources that way.

Sadly there aren't a lot of good databases for SW:TOR, partially because all data is added manually and not datamined by an addon (which as you might imagine is a tremendous feat). Many older database websites and wikis haven't been updated since before the game even launched which is truly a disappointment.

Both of the databases I mentioned in this guide are no longer really functional. Darth Hater has gone the way of the dodo and Torhead hasn't updated in quite a long time (it doesn't even have Treek officially listed).

Sorry I can't help you here. But I can promise at least that this guide will have accurate information to the best of my ability.

Can somebody with a Smuggler that has already unlocked Guss Tuno please actually verify what his bonuses are in-game? I just started a smuggler, and I was planning on choosing Treasure Hunting, and I already have one char with investigation, so this would really suck.

Hi Gus Tuna has a +2 Investigation Crit and a + 10 UT Efficiency.

Corso has a + 5 Armstech Crit.

Risha a +1 Slicing Crit, and

Spar a + 2 Bioanalysis Crit.

It seems that BW wants your gunslinger to be an Armstech crafter.

PS - Treek has a +1 Crafting Crit if you add her.

• 1 month later...

Just a note and maybe a clarification:

I have an armormech.

My armormech has the schematics for Fabricator Designs MK-1, MK-2, and MK-3.

Those schematics require luxury fabrics of both the prototype and artifact grade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Still a great guide and it seems you updated it recently! Great work Bowser thank you

I'm happy to help. I'm glad you find it useful.

Just a note and maybe a clarification:

I have an armormech.

My armormech has the schematics for Fabricator Designs MK-1, MK-2, and MK-3.

Those schematics require luxury fabrics of both the prototype and artifact grade.

All fabricator designs require items from a variety of crew skills; this is by design I would think. It shouldn't really effect what you pick on an individual character, but it does encourage you to have alts that can make the items you are missing.

Something to keep in mind is that the droid sensors are Legacy Bound, so I'm always swapping different ones into my droid based if i need to him to crit on a craft or a mission.

This is great advice to people that want to take the extra mile for crafting.

Edited by TheRealBowser

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
@OP: You forgot that the Scout Droid Sensor gives 2V-N8 +10 Artifice Efficiency for the Inquisitor. The Sensors should increase what you describe as the characters' Rating by a set amount. All it did was raise the Crew Skill by 4 Rating points. Edited by NekoAggelou

@OP: You forgot that the Scout Droid Sensor gives 2V-N8 +10 Artifice Efficiency for the Inquisitor. The Sensors should increase what you describe as the characters' Rating by a set amount. All it did was raise the Crew Skill by 4 Rating points.

I did not forget. There is no real benefit to having two separate companions that provide the same type of crew crafting skill. In the case of Inquisitors, they already have Khem Val who provides +15 artifice efficiency, making the +10 artifice efficiency from the ship droid entirely redundant in terms of min/max gains.

In the case of mission crew skills, having multiple companions with them is rather useful since you will have multiple companions running them anyways, as opposed to the typical one companion crafting (though, in your defense, they are typically critical bonuses, artifice is the odd exception).

Edited by TheRealBowser