Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

Guildrum

Broonmark AND Pierce. I've found that neither of them do anything better than Jaesa. In fact, it's very rare that I see a Sith Warrior with any other comp than Jaesa. (As for me I only switch if I'm in a difficult fight, in which case I use Quinn.) Honestly, I like the idea of them. Pierce could be an awesome tank and Broonmark do loads of dps, but I've just found that neither of them are as good as Jaesa.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only comment for the Imperial side, since I didn't get far with any of my Pub characters.

As a 55 SI(sorcerer with heal specs) I loved Khem. Sure, he's my morbid Chinese fortune cookie, with all his depressing/dark/everything ends/blablabla comments, but he and I kicked butt, and leveled fast. He was a great tank for me, and I found that as a healer I could balance good dps, and heal when necessary.

The one I least liked was Ashara. Took so much custom/artifact gear to get her to be able to dish out good damage. And her personality... yeah no.

In my IA, I loved Kaliyo. Yeah, I was a loyal IA (in the beginning), but she was a good balance for my character. She and I had a good thing going on. We also breezed through 50 levels, with her jumping into the mob, taking damage, and my Sniper dealing dps. I cried when they

took her away

. But the least useful and most annoying one was Vector. UUUgghh, I locked him in my cargo bay and left him, since 6 cans of Raid didn't do any damage to him. :mad:

For my SW marauder, Quinn was the best, with good heals, and Broonie the worst, but I liked him anyways.

I've only played a few classes to 50 and a few others to random levels but:

JK: Rusk- Never used him his story is meh. T-7 is pretty cool and he's a good little droid :) And to those who posted on earlier pages about using him when he was not geared they had a puzzle during the appropriate story area that opened up and had proper orange gear for him (it was bugged sometimes but it was there)

Smuggler: I only ever used Risha except once when i was fighting a gold elite i used Guss (whose combat dialogue is hilarious). But Corso seems like a moron.

BH: Skadge can die in a fire why do i even need him on my crew. I used Mako all the time. I enjoyed her story and the fact she is a healer you get at first level is a recipe for win

Trooper: That Cathar idiot who complains about being demoted then complains again. Not to mention Cathar as a race is just stupid I'm not a cat person.

SI: Haven't played enough all i have is Khem Val. (Although Xalek should be replaced by Thana Vesh, she'd be a more appropriate apprentice story wise) And i cannot wait to get Ashara I play LS so the "She isn't DS" doesnt bother me

Juggernaught:

When quinn betrays you he becomes useless

Quinn is just stupid and i wanted to lightsaber his head off why he is the healer is a piss off. And broonmark is sort of "why are you here" Vette is an awesome character

JC: Have not played that class

Agent: Have not played that class

And I'm a sucker for the romance stories. Once I romance a character (I am a guy so only roll male characters) I tend to use only them.

Edited by Spyderwraith

• 4 weeks later...
I absoluley love Kira, but unfortunatley, she takes very little aggro. Im not saying replace her, im saying increase her threat generation a bit.
You do know Kira is a pure dps companion and not a tank companion right.

Well I've played the JK, Trooper and IA.

Companions who were worthless:

Trooper: M14X, Yunn and Tanno Vik. And after I got Doorne, all became worthless because I was a Vanguard.

IA: Vector, Lokin, Raina

JK: T7, Rousk, Scourge.

• 3 years later...

as a female agent, didn't particularly like the options she had. I mean, Vector's personality was good, but, at the end of the day, he was still....a bug. And then Theron Shan? Sleeping with the enemy? And SIS to boot. After her stint during the story-line - blah. Now, if they made a keepable companion <not just a 1 night stand type of companion> that was Chiss.....that would be her keepable LI, pure and simple. As far as Kaliyo went, it was fun to go all mayhem and destruction on Zakuul .... BUT, in the vanilla story, question as far as why in the world Keeper would assign them to work together in the first place. When my agent started out, she was a gungho imperialist. Whenever she made a pro-imperial comment, she would get disapproval from Kaliyo. My agent would have shot her between the eyes for that. ;

For my smuggler, one of the best things I liked about him was having Guss make all those comical statements at various times. Too bad he doesn't do that post time-line for all classes.

Lana/Theron - the reason? Because you can't customize them. No change of clothing. No change of hair color. Same goes for the alliance companions that you get for doing the Star Fortress.

The tukata pet. Has no backstory. Looks good for a sith to go around with, but that would be accomplished via a pet. The companion doesn't go on crafting missions either. For a companion you have to pay RL $ for <on the cartel market>, I'd like it to be similar to Treek, or have more easily accessible means to increase influence with, have "conversations" with - i.e. maybe you could "train" it in different ways.

What I would like to see:

A companion that is "customizable" similar to our characters. Body size, species, head shape, hair color, etc.

So they wouldn't have to "retro" it, make it <I say it because you would choose the gender> a post-70th level companion, you would just get 1 per character, and you could give it a name and there would be 16 total "backstories" to choose from (1 for each class and a darkside/lightside for each>. As with other companions, we could continue to choose for it to be either heal/tank or dps.

I've only played one of the Republic classes all the way through, so I'm only really conversant in Imperial companions. That said, while there are several companions I don't care about one way or the other (Andronikos, Broonmark, and Ensign Temple all spring to mind), the two I really can't stand are Ashara and Skadge.

Why? Well, Ashara is just a constant reminder of how half-assed most of the writing in the Inquisitor's storyline really is and how much potential it wastes. Despite the promise of the promotional materials and the "Story" box on the character creation screen that the Inquisitor is a manipulative chessmaster par excellence, you comprehensively fail to corrupt Ashara to the Dark Side (no matter how smooth your handiwork on Taris is) and then have to spend all of her companion conversations listening to her alternately whine about how no one treats her like a Jedi anymore and praise you for your commitment to peace (even if you're a Dark V lunatic who bathes in Republic blood). Most companions in the game are written to respond to however you choose to play your character appropriately (for example, a Proud Warrior Race Guy Bounty Hunter has a very different relationship with Gault Rennow than a ruthless backstabber does), but every conversation with Ashara is written from the premise that your Inquisitor is a Light Side peacenik. And every time I summon her and the first words out of her mouth are a petulant "Don't make me go against my teachings," I want to space her.

And as for Skadge? Put it this way: if he wasn't protected by Plot Armor, he wouldn't have lived long enough to get recruited as a companion. No matter how you play your Hunter, there just is no reason to allow this raging psychopath -- who threatens an innocent woman with rape, insults and threatens you in every conversation, and first lets the target escape and then smashes your only lead -- to continue to draw breath until the end of the Belsavis quest line. And the fact that the writers actually give you a dialogue option to tell him to piss off when he demands to come along with you, only to have him make another empty threat on your life that you cave to immediately, feels like they're deliberately rubbing your nose in the fact that you're stuck with this horrible cancer on your crew for no good reason. And, of course, every word out of his mouth, whether in combat, on being summoned or dismissed, or when sent on a crew task, is yet another insult directed at you. His only good quality is that he gains approval when you insult him, because he's so stupid he thinks you're kidding. I got the achievements for doing all his conversations and killing a thousand opponents with him and haven't even looked at him since, much less taken him off the ship.

So...yeah. I have strong opinions about these two, and I was glad to hear about their roles (or lack thereof) in KOTFE.

I have played through most (just finishing chapter 3 on my smuggler) once. (I have 2nd toons for all of them made to play through again, I love the stories and want to try and do them different the 2nd time)

1st - SW (I played her more LS)- Love love love Quinn, absolutely adore Vette, Pierce I can tolerate, LS Jaesa I like although I would think she would have ended being a tad less LS being with a sith (i think they should have made LS Jaesa more neutral), Broonmark makes no sense but hey he is like a giant homicidal kitty cat....no he still makes no sense.

2nd - JK (didn't always pick LS but she was still mostly LS) - shockingly I love Doc with her (not as much as Quinn), love T7 (he is just so adorable), I like Kira mostly (she is a little un Jedi like a lot, I would think as a LS JK you could guide her more), Rusk ehhh a little bloodthirsty for a JK but kinda like Pierce I can tolerate him, and Scourge who I do love and his voice is awesome just not sure he works long term with a jedi he is a diehard sith.

3rd - SI (she ended up neutral Darth Occlus) - Love love love Andronikus, love Khem (not in that way), love Talos (he is a hoot), Xalek is ok (feels incomplete), and Ashara sorta works with a neutral SI but needs to get off her I am a Jedi because honey you aren't (feels like they were going to have 2 paths for her but couldn't because of the pressure to release the game from EA so scrapped one and only kept the LS version)

4th - JC (she was played much like m JK) - I love Iresso (he works great with a mostly LS JC), I liked Qyzen a lot (did seem a little odd for a diplomatic type character but I liked his storyline and he was very honorable), Tharan was interesting and the convo's with Holiday were interesting (ok a little weird with her being a holo and her voice was kind of irritating in pitch) I don't think they should have had the short romance thing with him, Zenith doesn't really fit long term and if you play LS he doesn't really fit at all (maybe he works better with a more DS JC) and Nadia again feels incomplete and with all the things pulling at her she is not going to make a very good jedi (she needs to be allowed to focus on that alone for awhile).

5th - BH (I played her more honorable but did take DS choices) - I love Torian with her (they worked out well as she was more honorable acts and became a mando), love Mako (I think they did a good job on her character), Gault I was initially peeved the way joined us but he is entertaining and I ended up liking him, Blizz is a hoot, Skadge I would like to shot out the airlock (I wanted to shot him in the face the moment he first spoke)

6th - Trooper (mostly LS)- I loved Jorgan (hard *** military man but has a soft side after he lowers that wall a little), I mostly liked Elara (a little stuck on regulations and quoting them but her back story makes it understandable), M1 is a friggin blast and is absolutely hysterical, Vik don't care for him at all (maybe he works for a more DS trooper but I would have preferred Fuse), Yuun I rather like (feels only half done again though)

7th - IA (very LS leaning) - I love Vector to pieces (he is poetic and adorable, no i have no problem with the joiner thing), want to blast Kaliyo out the airlock (she did not fit with my IA at all), I like Lockin he is interesting (the rakghoul thing is a little weird), Temple i mostly like (feel she needs more...something), and I don't trust Scorpio at all

8th - Smuggler (mostly LS, haven't quite finished) - I love Corso (he works well with this particular smuggler), love Bowdaar (but I have always liked wookies), Risha is interesting and I rather like her but I can't see her staying with the crew long term (but I haven't finished Ch3 yet), Akaavi I think I like (she seems rather intimidating most of the time but I again need to finish Ch3), and Guss not sure I trust him much but maybe he will finish strong in Ch 3.

Most of them I have liked so far but there are the ones that didn't seem to fit with the way I played through on my first toons, maybe playing through the story a second time different from the first will make a difference although a few (like Skadge and Kaliyo in particular) I don't think it will make a difference.