*Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

Sprigum

Do you really want to spend that much money? Do you only play with that pc, or do you also need to work with it, like doing some heavy graphic design tasks etc.

For a gaming pc I would not spend more than 1000$, but if you are very rich then it doesnt matter or if you need it for your work.

I just want it to be able to play SWTOR on max settings and to have graphics and settings that will last me til about 2016.

I currently have an Alienware M17x and it just is giving me way to many problems and is almost 3 years old. I'm willing to get a brand new machine.

What would you recommend me drop from that system I linked?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1DTXJ6

Edited by GATEGOD

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also after a gaming PC. No experience with building the things so I should probably keep it that way. Budget is around £700 so anybody in the UK know of any deals knocking about please let me know!

Would preferably like something that will easily handle this game on maxed out settings...

It is definatly a relief to know others are experiencing the same issues as I am. Below are the specs of my Laptop and Desktop.

During launch I was playing on my workstation class laptop just fine:

Laptop (50-60 FPS in cities/PVE, 20-30 FPS PVP)

HP Elitebook 8730w

Intel Extreme Core 2 duo (4 Cores)

Nvidia Quadro FX 2700

8GB ram

120GB SSD

I did notice some lag but nothing major.

Desktop (60 FPS in cities/PVE, and 20-30 FPS PVP)

Intel Xeon (6 Core) 3.46

24GB ram

Nvidia 560Ti GTX

2x 120 SSD (OS and SWTOR)

2x Raptors 300GB (Data)

I noticed after the last patch a significant drop in performance especially in the Warzones. Now I am forced to play on all settings set to low and 1024x768 resolution so I can actually enjoy the Warzones (30-40FPS). Until today I was shopping around to see if I should go with a SLI setup but figured I would do a little research to see if anybody else is having this issue.

Running quests and going to cities isn't so much of a problem, its the Warzones where I get frustrated.

keep in mind the things I've tried:

Fresh insteall (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Clean (approved) drivers "Video, Mobo, DX, and Windows update"

Fresh installation of SWTOR

Ran a deticated PSU (1000w) to my graphics card (My desktop has a 750w PSU)

Also I have tried various options to change and tweak my video settings nothing worked, I do like to play with VSYNC on because I dislike screen tearing.

also note there are no heat issues anywhere

Still the same outcome. At this point, I am not going to invest any more money into my system especially now that I have read that multiple people are having the same issues with simular setups.

I hope my information helps somebody else out there, at this point I am lead to believe that SWTOR is underdeveloped in the FPS sense and its beyond our control at this point.

also keep in mind my setups have run this game smoothly even in warzones before patch 1.0.1 *12/27/2011* after that things went downhill.

Sorry for the wall of text =P

Anyone wanna help my situation

your situation is very odd, your processor not being a phenom is not the best but it certainly should be decent for this game. plus your graphics card is more than enough to max this game out. try a defrag or run your anti virus, if all else fails... re install windows and the game.

oh! try updating all of your hardware with the latest drivers also try adjusting settings. im assuming you do have at least 4gb of ram?

Does this system look pretty clean to play SWTOR

Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100328L $119.99

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard $124.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $46.57

Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black) $22.88

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack $99.99

Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor $189.99

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms ATX 700 CMPSU-600CXV2 $59.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX $79.99

All total after tax is $721.55.

Would I be able to use the Sapphire radeon Hd 5570 low profile graphics card to play, swtor?

My pc is a Acer aspire AX3300,

OS win 7,

Processor: AMD ATHLONII X 2 215 processor 2.70 Ghz,

RAM: 2.00GB 1.75GB free.

The graphics card I have currently isn't good enough, it's a Nvidia Geforce 9200 but it's built onto the mother board.

Does this system look pretty clean to play SWTOR

Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100328L $119.99

ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel Motherboard $124.99

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $46.57

Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black) $22.88

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack $99.99

Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor $189.99

Corsair Builder Series CX600 600 watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel and AMD Platforms ATX 700 CMPSU-600CXV2 $59.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX $79.99

All total after tax is $721.55.

I would get the i3 2120 and spend the extra $ on a 6870 or 6850 if thats to much money but you will be glad you did the same PSU will run it.

Edited by blowmedown

Thanks for the post. This will help me when I take a look at a new laptop.

I have a i5-2600K, 8GB RAM, MSI ATI Radeon HD6570 1 GB, etc and the game runs great on OTB game settings. Only issue I notice is with the LCD monitor. Mine is like 5 years old and has a slower response time.

i started a thread about what computer to buy since my current computer have integrated graphics and it's lagging while playing but the thread was closed and a moderator directed me here and some other threads to ask this question. Anyway, im not gonna ask about the computers but the graphics cards. The first computer has a Nvidia GeForce GT520 1GB and the second ATI Radeon HD6755G2 with 1024 MB GDDR5 VRAM. Wih one is best?

I saw the first one at the low end graphics cards at the first page but i couldn't find the other one anywhere...

Just out of curiosity , My other computer has 2 ATI Radeon HD 3800 series crossfire. but my game doesnt run as good as i was hoping i've been told to try out 12.1 catalyst should i or not? and should i be able to play the game without fps spikes almost constantly.

thanks Regards CESKiE

The computer I put together earlier this year actually seems to be the most optimal budget system, give or take, in line with the information given by the OP. I recommend it for anyone on a budget.

My machine is a Core I3 2100 cpu, Radeon 6870 video card, 4GB 1366 memory, 1 TB 7200RPM SATA HDD, Corsair TX 650 (watt) PSU. The 1TB is more than necessary though. I only have a 1360x768 widescreen TV but I get fps often into the 100s everything set on high though it falls to a low of 20fps sometimes in taxis dramatically which I sense is more to do with the game than my computer.

Edited by joneb

I got:

a tired Radeon HD 4890 not overcloaked with memio diodo boiling around 110 Cº.

a amd phenom II X6

8 GB RAM

Running in a Win 7 with no tweaks or modification on process system.

i can run everything in max options and resolution at 1920x1080 since i put the shadows off in game, this way i got 61+ fps

All i will want now its a hotkey to toggle on/off the shadows in game, because with shadows on, i got between 11-35 fps depending on the area.

ok so i was one of those people complaining about not getting anything past 3 FPS :(. i looked at my current system[my laptop] and decided it was time to just say f**k it and build my first gaming pc because you see, instead of waiting on a fix for my 3 FPS issue i realized that even if a fix came, i would not be able to run swtor, or any of the near future MMO's[like guild wars 2] that are coming out on mid-high to max settings with this laptop.

the only problem is that i am a super new newb to building pc's, let alone a gaming pc lol.

here's my under $550 budget gaming pc set up. Some input and general advice is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you for taking a look.

PS: before you start recommending all these better parts that would make this build 10x better, please keep in mind a few things

---No plans of overclocking, at least not the cpu. MAYBE the gpu, maybe

---this will be strictly a MMORPGS gaming pc, not being built for crysis, skyrim, battlefield bad company etc etc. More like its being built to deliver good fps at MEDIUM TO HIGH SETTING[maybe max if i'm lucky] on games like SWTOR, Guild wars 2, WoW.

---The maximum res i will be playing on my current monitor is 1600x900 anyways, i think this rig should be perfect for my current situation right?

---BUDGET :(. i would love to upgrade to a better mobo, i5-2500k, radeon HD 6950 etc etc but i am on a very tight budget. but wouldnt all those be overkill for a rig being used for just MMORGS anyways?

alright without further delay, here is what i came with for my over all plans/current situation. should i go ahead and order parts?

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core with Hyper threading

CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing $12.99

Motherboard: Biostar TH67+ Micro ATX LGA1155 $59.99

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $37.99

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB $106.97

Case: Azza Orion 202 EVO ATX Mid Tower $28.99

Power Supply: Apevia 500W ATX

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99

Breakdown can be seen here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wrH

Total after mail in rebate and all that: $548.....$2 to spare haha

so what do you think? again all advice/input greatly appreciated, help a major newb out man

GeForce 560 ti

Phenom II x4 @ 3.4 ghz

8 gigs DDR3 RAM

I get 20 fps in Warzones and operations, 8 to 15 fps in Imperial Fleet, 80 to 110 fps everywhere else.

Bioware, acknowledge this problem and post a fix ETA in the next two weeks or I'm unsubbing :-(

whats your power supply ?

some people over look this

and what is your temp at ? you could be over heating.

Edited by xXcronicXx

ok so i was one of those people complaining about not getting anything past 3 FPS :(. i looked at my current system[my laptop] and decided it was time to just say f**k it and build my first gaming pc because you see, instead of waiting on a fix for my 3 FPS issue i realized that even if a fix came, i would not be able to run swtor, or any of the near future MMO's[like guild wars 2] that are coming out on mid-high to max settings with this laptop.

the only problem is that i am a super new newb to building pc's, let alone a gaming pc lol.

here's my under $550 budget gaming pc set up. Some input and general advice is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, thank you for taking a look.

PS: before you start recommending all these better parts that would make this build 10x better, please keep in mind a few things

---No plans of overclocking, at least not the cpu. MAYBE the gpu, maybe

---this will be strictly a MMORPGS gaming pc, not being built for crysis, skyrim, battlefield bad company etc etc. More like its being built to deliver good fps at MEDIUM TO HIGH SETTING[maybe max if i'm lucky] on games like SWTOR, Guild wars 2, WoW.

---The maximum res i will be playing on my current monitor is 1600x900 anyways, i think this rig should be perfect for my current situation right?

---BUDGET :(. i would love to upgrade to a better mobo, i5-2500k, radeon HD 6950 etc etc but i am on a very tight budget. but wouldnt all those be overkill for a rig being used for just MMORGS anyways?

alright without further delay, here is what i came with for my over all plans/current situation. should i go ahead and order parts?

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core with Hyper threading

CPU Cooler: Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing $12.99

Motherboard: Biostar TH67+ Micro ATX LGA1155 $59.99

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $37.99

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB $106.97

Case: Azza Orion 202 EVO ATX Mid Tower $28.99

Power Supply: Apevia 500W ATX

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) $99.99

Breakdown can be seen here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3wrH

Total after mail in rebate and all that: $548.....$2 to spare haha

so what do you think? again all advice/input greatly appreciated, help a major newb out man

ill go with a bigger power supply about 650w

I have 4gb ram, GTX 560 ti, and an AMD Athlon IIx4 640 3GHz. and i'm still having FPS problems. Whats up with that?

To everyone having FPS problems (I am as well): I do believe the problem lies with BW and not your equipment. However, I still haven't read anywhere that BW has acknowledged the problem so I'm not sure what (of anything) is being done. FPS problems are seen mostly in the densely populated areas and especially warzones (the worst).

Most of the systems I've read that people have should run this game at 30+ FPS minimum. Hopefully there's a fix on the horizon or SWTOR will start to bleed subs. Fixing "priority" issues like emotes shouldn't even be at the forefront.

If anyone has any information about the FPS problems BW is having - please post them.

Thanks!

Hey all.

Some time ago I also suffered severe FPS and lag problems. My FPS was about 15 at the fleet and about 40 outdoors.

That's my system (2 yo):

Processor: Intel core i7 920

Motherboard: Gigabyte UD4 (Intel X58 chipset)

Video: Radeon HD4870

RAM: 6 GB

I was very confused, 'cos in beta my FPS was up to 120. I was very disappointed until I changed the graphics settings from Low to High with all effects on except shadows.

Now I've got 50 FPS at the Fleet and about 90 outdoors. In fact, the same FPS is provided by latest GeForces my friends use.

The conclusion I came to: most in-game performance issues are caused by software, not hardware. :jawa_confused:

All above proofs this, IMO:

To everyone having FPS problems (I am as well): I do believe the problem lies with BW and not your equipment.
Edited by iamgamlo

So I'm looking to upgrade my PC's video card. But my PSU is rated at 350W. I understand manufacturers overrate their cards in terms on power required. What i'm wondering is there a card that will be alright with a PSU that low?

I'm trying to spend as little money as possible really. 170$ at most. That's why i was trying to just buy a video card. But nothing these days is rated that low that's good.

If you have any advice, please use http://www.directcanada.com. As I'm Canadian.

Edited by LiquorQ