Operative healer stats

POPsi

Since I didn't find a thread where this is explained in details, I might as well just create this one for it.

Question is for experienced healers, to share your thoughts and recommendations on what are best stat amounts for sustained healing (because relying on occasional high crits is not the way to go imo).

As for myself (sitting at work so no 100% details) this is where I'm at approximately (all fully buffed):

- 40% crit

- 65% surge

- 17% alacrity

- 19300 hp

- somewhere around 2000 cunning (not sure exactly)

- not sure about power, but I think I'm quite low at that sadly

What should be improved? Do I need more or less alacrity? Shall I stack more cunning/crit/surge? Where is the point for a certain stat when it's not worth stacking any more and something else should be focused on?

Any advice is welcome.

I remember corectly my Operative in Medic spec has around

37,xx% crit

78.xx% Surge

5% Alacrity from the Lethality Tree (+ some from equips i.e Implants in PvP gear, Shoes in PvE gear)

Not sure about Power as im not home atm cant check.

Around 201x Cunning Stimmed in PvP gear

Around 204x Cunning Stimmed in PvE implants, Shoes, Gloves

Anyway it has been said Alacrity is not working as they really want it too try to have less as possible of it.

Crit "caps" on 35% without Agent buff

Surge "caps" on 75%

After those id go for maxing out the Cunning / Power much as possible

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/60d26e41-82e9-41ba-b161-259732e2d94f

This one is somewhat accurate to what I have atm minus some newer improvements on my PvP gear

Edited by Masarko

SUPER SEXY NEW VERSION OF THIS POST, NOW WITH 90% MORE SOURCES AND REASONING.

Goals

>We want our surge and crit the best they can be while still being efficient ( ie Watch their diminishing returns)

>We want as much bonus healing as we can get our grubby mitts on. This comes from cunning and power.

> We want some alacrity, but it is not a priority.

Any other stat is either useless (str/will/aim/accuracy/etc) or irrelevant (endurance) so we can work from there.

Basics

So first of all. All gear including barrels/mods/enhancements will pick secondary stats from one of two pools. We'll call them group one and group two. I'll omit the stats we don't care about and they look something like this.

Group 1: Crit, Power

Group 2: Surge, Alacrity

Most pieces pick one from each but an exception is mods which just seem to pick crit or power. You do not see crit/power or surge/alacrity gear around so keep this in mind when looking to balance your stats.

Sidenote: Tech power is EXACTLY the same as power, it's just specific to agents/BH.

For information on the DRs of all stats I'll send you here. The graphs are very good and not as cluttered as the master graph you might find by googling around. Easier to read too.

So we can look at our stats as two simultaneous priorities.

We want crit until a softcap at which point we want all the power we can get.

At the same time we want surge until a softcap at which point we will, begrudgingly accept alacrity as a consolation prize.

Stat referance

The softaps I aim for are as follows. Feel free to tinker and see what you prefer but these are good approximate areas to be at.

350 crit rating -> Power

250 surge rating -> Alacrity ( don't worry too much about going over this one as alacrity is not fabulous)

Another general rule is to pick the mods that are heavy on power/crit rather than heavy on cunning. The cunning ones usually spend too much of their item budget on endurance which is not much good to us.

Augments

The final step is your augments. Now if you have your softcaps covered then the choice is only between power augments or cunning augments. If you don't, fill in your softcaps THEN move on to power/cunning.

The following is a bit of napkin math I put on my guild forums copy pasted here.

Cunning provides two things, bonus healing and crit chance. Power provides approximately 25% more bonus healing point for point than cunning.

So we'll start by comparing two augs, the endurance is common so we'll throw that out.

18 cunning : 18 power

Imperial intelligence provides a 9% boost to cunning, mark of power provides a 5% boost to cunning. No such boosts apply to power.

20.601 cunning : 18 power

Cunning * 0.14 = (bonus healing from cunning) , Power * 0.17 = (bonus healing from power) ,

2.884141 bonus healing from cunning : 3.06 bonus healing from power

Right that's per aug. For 14 augs the difference is

40.38 bonus healing from all cunning augs : 42.84 bonus healing from all power augs

So bonus healing-wise; power augs provides approximately 2.5 bonus healing all said and done compared to cunning ones.

Now the more complicated bit. Since crit from cunning has a DR it's not so easily eyeballed. I'll show it in my case and you can use that as a model. Should be noted main stats contribution to crit has a REALLY gosh darn smooth DR curve as shown here.

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/

My cunning sans augments : 2089

My cunning with augments: 2323

Crit from cunnings formula is

30 * (1 - (1 - 0.01/ 0.3) ^cunning/max(level,20)/2.5)

Without augments I get : 12.9748% from cunning

With augments I get : 14.0227% from cunning

PS: I actually forgot to factor in imperial education and mark of power when calculating what my cunning without augs would be. So technically the crit contribution without aug would be slightly lower. Hence cunning would provide a little more net crit.

So this is not a huge difference but personally I would vote for the cunning everytime. Between accomplished doctor and softcapped surge 1% crit is basically 1% healing overall. In addition it will provide a trickle more energy from diagnostic scan

Finally when it comes to trinkets, currently WH power trinkets blow procs and "on-use" trinkets out of the water. The only thing close is a matrix cube. I haven't actually looked to compare the two side by side yet personally as I only have one WH pvp trinket.

Edited by CaptainApop

You're loking at stats from the wrong angle homie. You shouldn't be looking at a fixed amount of anything to have but an approach to gearing to give you the most bang for buck.

First of all you can safely ignore endurance. It comes with everything. Whatever you've got is plenty.

The next part is what you're stacking. Ie what's on your augs

I recently ran the maths and between power or cunning with current augs. You're choosing between roughly 2.5 bonus healing versus roughly 1.2% crit. I would go with the crit here ( cunning) , whatever your stance on crit heals. Neither surge or crit are worth augmenting unless you're shy of the softcaps.

He next step is how you mod your gear. This is pretty fluid and dependant on your gear but the basics are easy to grasp.

Parts ( mods, barrels, etc etc) draw stats from two pools relevant to healers.

Crit/Power:

And

Surge/alacrity

For example you will never see crit/power pieces.

With this in mind grab crit on your gear until you reach around 350 rating then work to keep it there to get more power. This is roughly the break point for crit ratings diminishing returns.

On the other side.get surge around 200-250 (DR hits like a brick wall around here). After this grab alacrity instead. Don't wore if you end up with a lot of surge anyway as to be blunt, alacrity blows. Heavily DR'd surge just blows harder.

As a general rule mods that are heavy on power are better than mods heavy on cunning. Ideally you want WH trinkets for the sexy power host but a matrix cube is more than adequate.

When starting out you may not be able to satisfy crit/surge soft softcaps using just your mods/enhancements etc. in these cases use your augs to fill out your stats. On a side note, never look at your %crit chance. It's modified by talents, buffs and two stats on two entirely separate DR curves. Too many people declare X% crit chance to be a cap of some kind and it makes no sense.

Thanks a lot mate, I find this really useful stuff, and helps to understand a bit more how things work. I'll try to keep this in mind when working on my gear. I don't consider myself hardcore player but still want to get as much as possible out of my healer.

Thanks a lot mate, I find this really useful stuff, and helps to understand a bit more how things work. I'll try to keep this in mind when working on my gear. I don't consider myself hardcore player but still want to get as much as possible out of my healer.

You're welcome. Now, I typed that on an iphone so now that I'm at a computer I'm going to step in, fix it and make it a bit less unwieldy to read. More information in it now too.

Edited by CaptainApop

You're welcome. Now, I typed that on an iphone so now that I'm at a computer I'm going to step in, fix it and make it a bit less unwieldy to read. More information in it now too.

I'd make this a sticky if I could. Yesterday I already did some changes on my toon according to your original post (realized I had too much alacrity and swapped some of them for surge instead), will keep doing so. Really appreciate for taking the time and putting this together.

Edited by POPsi

• 1 month later...
I haven't really seen a discussion recently on the new dread guard relics, so a question here. So far I've been going with the 135 power WH relic, and my matrix cube. However I'm wondering if it would make more sense to switch from matrix cube to the dread guard clicky power relic. I tend to try it out. Opinions?

I haven't really seen a discussion recently on the new dread guard relics, so a question here. So far I've been going with the 135 power WH relic, and my matrix cube. However I'm wondering if it would make more sense to switch from matrix cube to the dread guard clicky power relic. I tend to try it out. Opinions?

Dread guard relic averages 87 power or similar over the course of a fight. I don't think it'll be your go-to relic but if there's burst healing to be done it's the best option.

Only done torn and the tank on NiM personally but kephess' last phase may surprise me. Chaining adrenal and relic can provide almost a minute of upper tier healing.

But yeah, 99% of the time I'd say WH/Matrix cube or double WH would be better.

Edited by CaptainApop

Did some calculations...

The dread guard relic gives adds 87.5 power per second assuming you use it when off cd. + 47 from the constant power and it's now 134.5. Add a power augment, it's even better. Though you lose some crit if you switch from the matrix cube. Wouldn't use it though on trash or easier bosses, but on the tougher ones it may worth a try.

Did some calculations...

The dread guard relic gives adds 87.5 power per second assuming you use it when off cd. + 47 from the constant power and it's now 134.5. Add a power augment, it's even better. Though you lose some crit if you switch from the matrix cube. Wouldn't use it though on trash or easier bosses, but on the tougher ones it may worth a try.

Imo it is better to have higher static heals through out a fight, then try to burst out some heals... there are very few situations where you will feel the need to burst heals and in those situations you should have an adrenal.

The only time i could see the on use being useful is when you would be participating in a burn phase, and even then you would be sacrificing some static healing power, for that extra dps burst. Also there really only one situation in current end game (soa is old and doesnt count), where a healer would be participating in a burn phase and that is the walker in EC (i use to dps on kephess post 60% in HM, but that wont be possible from what i have seen in NIM from him), and currently heals are a bit tight through out the encounter in NIM, so losing some static healing wouldnt be worth it (in a farm situation it may be different though).

• 1 month later...

Great post. I have run plenty of numbers and min/maxing, and pretty much agree with everything you wrote. (I personally like my surge to be around 300-350 tho).