Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?

Blev

I really don't want to advance the story content because I'm concerned about what impact this quest line would have on dialogue...

Really don't want to roll up a different main character so early in the game.

Really don't want to start this character over.

Really disappointed and really want to not renew subscription until this is fixed.

Picked that option only because I mistakenly figured you had to in order to unlock the romance stuff, and logically speaking, based on her extremely positive reaction to that choice, that wouldn't and shouldn't hinder and completely break the chain. So we can only conclude that it is a bug, and that it somehow sets a state on our character questlines that the game does not know how to read and breaks certain triggers.

Need a dev response, yeah.

I respect that some people don't like / don't use certain NPCs, and I respect that some people don't like Bioware romance stuff, but it's been around since Baldur's Gate 2 and I tend to enjoy them greatly as a feature. The novelty of that mechanic in an MMO was very appealing.

Edited by JayDubyaDub

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So im about to hit the bug part of kiras quest line... My doubt is... Should i play safe and dont choose the DS flirt option on the defector quest? Or with this patch i can be sure that chosing the DS flirt will not bug me as it was happening for everyone before the patch?

Just sent a pretty annoyed email to the SWToR crew and hopefully I'll get a response soon.

I am deeply dissapointed in how they're handling the matter. Surely, I can understand that it will take time to fix this issue but at least they could in some way inform us that it will take time but they're working on it instead of letting a thread hit almost 50 pages of people experiencing the same bloody problem.

Guys before you rant and complain, maybe you should actually read these 50 pages you would know that a dev did post about this and set everyone expectations.

Was clearly said that this next fix would be for new players only and that people with the bug already would have to wait alittle longer. Its not there fault that you don't like to read and keep yourself up to date with whats effecting you.

Anyways thanks for fixing the first half bioware ill be awaiting the second half fix so I can finally talk to her.

@abelweltall

According to the Patch Notes and a response from a fellow jedi in this forum, this is in fact fixed so you should be able to flirt with her.

Of course, you can always play it safe and don't just to be sure.

Edited by sonny

So im about to hit the bug part of kiras quest line... My doubt is... Should i play safe and dont choose the DS flirt option on the defector quest? Or with this patch i can be sure that chosing the DS flirt will not bug me as it was happening for everyone before the patch?

no, your fine, it's fixed for anyone who did not start it yet, but for us who's already started it, it's still bugged because it was not revered, just fixed for anyone who didn't start it.

So feel free to pick whatever

I really appreciate how there is absolutely no freaking warning about what will happen if you choose the flirt option after the mining facility. I mean, I've only put in 50 hours on my level 36 sentinel, it's not like I don't mind starting over and choosing ONE option that won't affect it.

Hello all!

I can confirm that there is indeed an issue here.

The TL;DR version is this:

Until we can get the fix up, don't flirt with Kira during The Defector quest! :mon_trap: (she will stop giving affection conversations)

The underlying issue has already been fixed internally, and should be showing up on our known issues list in a moment. It will take us a few days to roll out the fix so new players won't encounter the issue. It'll take us a bit longer to get a fix out for characters already experiencing the issue, but don't panic -- you should be able to hit the ground running with Kira as if nothing had ever been wrong (affection accumulated between now and then should not be harmed). Free to continue using Kira if you don't mind cashing in on your investment at a later date, or perhaps you might get to better know your cheeky T-7 droid!

Lastly, props to Cadan for his assistance in helping us track down this bug and give it the Yoda Stick! :wea_10:

Well heres this, but like it matters anymore

Guys before you rant and complain, maybe you should actually read these 50 pages you would know that a dev did post about this and set everyone expectations.

Was clearly said that this next fix would be for new players only and that people with the bug already would have to wait alittle longer. Its not there fault that you don't like to read and keep yourself up to date with whats effecting you.

Anyways thanks for fixing the first half bioware ill be awaiting the second half fix so I can finally talk to her.

That was the 16th; I thought he was saying literally that a hotfix would be in the next few days and the next patch would attend to this issue. Then on reading the patch notes, it appeared that the next patch had fixed the issue.

Instead, it seems this next patch contained only the fix for new Knights.

So maybe I did read it wrong. Just the same, the post above stands: "I really don't want to advance the story content because I'm concerned about what impact this quest line would have on dialogue..."

It's a reasonable concern given that so far, main story quests have involved her heavily.

It's like this... Think back to TOR, and the romance with Bastila. Some people never did it, some people liked it, whatever, but that was a relatively brief, cinematic RPG with lots of replayability and you always had the same optional NPC companions, and you probably had save files out the wazoo. But the reason why it's a good example is that in the endgame, it had some serious implications in terms of how the plot worked out.

Now imagine you really liked the romance story with Bastila. Now imagine it being bugged, where you didn't really do anything wrong but now the NPC acts like that story event never happened, as if you had rejected that content, been dismissive to the NPC, were the wrong gender, or otherwise. Now imagine there was no such thing as save files, and have the game be four to five times as long. Now add as an added bonus you have to be the same class and same gender on a relatively identical playthrough to experience the content...

Yeeeeeeeah. That doesn't seem appealing. Now imagine this isn't just a game where you bought it and you own it and you can play it whenever... :mad:

Now if we knew that the specific companion bonuses due to affection / romance stuff is independent of the main story going forward...

Well then, if we knew that was the case, then why worry about it? But since we don't, I am worried about it. Because I don't know that. And I know that it had a huge impact on dialogue and events in KotOR and KotOR 2.

(Or heck, in Baldur's Gate 2, or Mass Effect trilogy or Dragon Age...)

I don't care about a lack of xp for companion quests. I'll probably have lots of quests when I'm 50 and don't get any xp anyway. What I care about is whether or not this bug is going to affect later dialogue and story with other characters and other situations.

In other words, missed content. Because I'm probably not going to make a male Jedi Knight again; would get dull having all your alts do the same thing. I just don't want any missed content.

Hence my request for additional clarification. Hence my current frustration and not wanting to advance the main story.

Edited by JayDubyaDub

Level 41 Jedi Knight here. Affection metre for Kira Reads 8978/10000.

I took the dark side flirt option earlier in the story and have had the same issue of no interaction with Kira since then. The issue hasn't been cleared up for me with the latest patch.

Can't interact with Kira on any planets nor on my personal spaceship either so if there has been a supposed 'fix' then it hasn't worked for me.

Great... So I chose the bug DS option as all the others here. That was during pre access.

But I didn't know there was a bug until I read the patch notes today...

(Text does NOT contain spoilers)

I played through Act I with the guess the class quests would lead to the romance at some point... I got suspicious during Act II until one specific quest came up where I got the feeling in which way the chapter would end... so guessing THAT would lead to the romance... again...

Now I'm lvl 38, I have done Act I + II ...

I mean it's nice if we get the missing dialogue options and quests at some point after the problem is fixed... but when I think about all the class quest dialogue in Act I + II where there was no romance going on, when there could have been... ffs... that's something I will never get back... (until I start all over with a second knight of course...)

at 9600 affection btw -.-

Edited by JDLJ

It'll take us a bit longer to get a fix out for characters already experiencing the issue, but don't panic -- you should be able to hit the ground running with Kira as if nothing had ever been wrong (affection accumulated between now and then should not be harmed). Free to continue using Kira if you don't mind cashing in on your investment at a later date, or perhaps you might get to better know your cheeky T-7 droid!

So upon scrutiny it appears to be saying there will be no missed content...

If this is the case, then there is no issue aside from lost XP (quests that are gray render only +5 XP) and not having the content play out in an ideal, gradual fashion between other events.

Ultimately, I'm okay with that. Frustrated, but knowing that they will fix it eventually, I can accept it.

But I still want clarification on that point before I proceed with the main story events. What I can't accept is the possibility of missed content.

Well... "desired-but-unintentionally-missed because some 1s and 0s don't line up right" content, anyway.

Edited by JayDubyaDub

If this is the case, then there is no issue aside from lost XP (quests that are gray render only +5 XP) and not having the content play out in an ideal, gradual fashion between other events.

Ultimately, I'm okay with that.

But I still want clarification on that point before I proceed with the main story events.

yeah, I guess that's right when it comes to the special romance quests and dialogue. But in the case how the main story line played out when you progressed further... seems impossible to revert... that's my biggest pain with the whole issue :(

Edited by JDLJ

I'm honestly kind of confused about how this works, anyway.

I mean, regardless of romance there should be quests with Kira for female knights. Those should happen regardless when you reach certain thresholds of level and affection points.

Whether or not the male JK has expressed romantic interest in Kira as well is also a binary state.

It SEEMS simple, but then again, coding something as massive as TOR has got to be a monumental task that unintended consequences must pop up all over the place...

Our character does have a save file of previously unlocked and finished quests... it seems that the dark side flirt just puts that element of our "save file" into game-unreadable limbo, closing off all possible dialogue because the game doesn't know where we are in the "quest line" regardless of whether we flirted or what our level is or what our companion affection is...

The worst part is that since the thing on Nar Shaddaa was main quest oriented, they can't just reset the quest line and have you redo it, like a bugged out flashpoint or something.

I don't know how they go about fixing a thing like that...

Would they have to recode the companion scripting for prompts for new quests to read the mislabelled save state? Or would they have to go through every character in that unreadable state and alter them? Yeesh.

Edited by JayDubyaDub

Ultimately, I'm okay with that. Frustrated, but knowing that they will fix it eventually, I can accept it.

But I still want clarification on that point before I proceed with the main story events. What I can't accept is the possibility of missed content.

Well... "desired-but-unintentionally-missed because some 1s and 0s don't line up right" content, anyway.

because of this i haven't even progressed my main story past Nar shada, i'm just working on side quest

still though, that doesn't make it right, i have this week off from work, and would really like to progress through my main story

I mean, at LEAST bioware recognized the issue and let us know they were working on it, but still, they said the original fix would be implemented in "a few days", that was what? a week or so ago? I got to the defector part 2 days ago, so i went with the flirt option assuming it was fixed. It wasn't just a couple of days :(

I seem to have been a victim of this bug as well. I don't remember picking the dark side flirt option during The Defector, but I suppose I did. Problem is, I have no way of checking my decision, and since I have about ~800 dark side points, it could be part of that.

The lack of an ETA is particularly frustrating. I understand that it may be an obscure bug and difficult to track down, but the fact that they are aware of it and have already fixed it for new players is very disappointing. I was really looking forward to this fix today, thinking it would resolve the main issue - the main issue being that a bunch of us are already bugged. I didn't even find out about this until yesterday when I was doing some research into why I hadn't gotten any dialogue quests with Kira when I did on all of my other characters.

Are we supposed to wait an entire patch cycle for this to be actually fixed now? Because so far they haven't fixed anything for the players who experienced the bug before it was widely known.

Gah... I shouldn't be so mad about this, but I have a lousy feeling that it's gonna be another month before this is actually addressed.

I seem to have been a victim of this bug as well. I don't remember picking the dark side flirt option during The Defector, but I suppose I did. Problem is, I have no way of checking my decision, and since I have about ~800 dark side points, it could be part of that.

The lack of an ETA is particularly frustrating. I understand that it may be an obscure bug and difficult to track down, but the fact that they are aware of it and have already fixed it for new players is very disappointing. I was really looking forward to this fix today, thinking it would resolve the main issue - the main issue being that a bunch of us are already bugged. I didn't even find out about this until yesterday when I was doing some research into why I hadn't gotten any dialogue quests with Kira when I did on all of my other characters.

Are we supposed to wait an entire patch cycle for this to be actually fixed now? Because so far they haven't fixed anything for the players who experienced the bug before it was widely known.

Gah... I shouldn't be so mad about this, but I have a lousy feeling that it's gonna be another month before this is actually addressed.

Im in agreeance here, I just found this bug out a day or so ago and was looking forward to this fixing it. I really also shouldnt be that angry about it but I kinda am. I don't want to reroll a Level 34 Sentinel because I chose the dark side option.

Not enough to drop sub or reroll, but I really enjoy the companion storylines, and I hate that we are getting screwed out of the natural companion story line.

Also, this is really the first thing that has actually bothered me about this game.

Edited by calhounhusker

Okay so my Kira is bugged. I've read through this thread and I see some hints about romance affecting the main story. I've finished Act I and started Quesh... Should I not finish this planet until she is fixed? Is this going to start affecting my main class story?

This is basically what I was asking too. Does anyone know?

Can we continue to play and simply avoid our story line missions (after doing the flirt option)?

This is basically what I was asking too. Does anyone know?

Can we continue to play and simply avoid our story line missions (after doing the flirt option)?

i don't see why not, i'm more curious about whether or not we can do our story missions, but i doubt it, because i'm sure they're affected in some way. If not it'll be a bioware first

that's what i'm doing, just focusing on side missions/flashpoints/etc. and I'll wait till they get this fix out

Isnt the only way to romance someone if your jedi a dark side option anyways? So if were getting screwed for actually wanting to get a romance thats going to piss me off...

Or are you somehow suppose to not flirt with her and magically you then get a romance?

Regardless fix this bug! This is the only thing that bothers me since JK is my main! At least the smuggler (my alt) does not have this hideous bug...

So...I'm still on Nar Shadaa, am I still okay with Kira? I still don't get the quest icon on my ship that she wants to talk, but I know she does. Actually, since the patch I've yet to even see the 'wants to speak on ship' pop-up, but it showed up multiple times yesterday. I've got 3100ish Affection with her as well.