Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

still doesn't EVEN compare to the fatman. I made a character on fatman just the other day and it had like 50 people just in Hutta and I assure you with only 140 people in the fleet there isn't going to be 50 people on one planet like the origin planets/leveling up. They should of at least doubled(if not more) the number of servers transfering to the prophecy of the five.

The day isn't over :)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the point of staying for us would be we have a solid core group in our guild on my server, and we don't have many problems doing and seeing what we want. We've talked about it ad nauseam. Yet without knowing what's in the cards for the server if we chose to stay, we may just be delaying the inevitable.

Without the valuable info about what happens to origin servers, it's not really giving us a choice. Seems like it's a choice to move now, or a forced move when/if they take the server offline and merge the population but the fact that we don’t know turns our choice into more of a gamble.

If your fine doing what you need then you should just stay on your server for now, and wait and see how things play out on the new server after things have settled down. Yes, you run a higher risk of losing names waiting longer, but honestly probably not much different than what it would be unless your server was the first to transfer onto the new server.

To reframe it slightly what do you have to loose?

You move your character, possibly rename and see if you like the new server, if not you are already unsubbed and you can log out and do something else.

I do think it would be nice once they finish with this process if they open FFA transfers between their destination servers, but I think this step is necessary before they do something like that or people will end up in a weird loop where folks vacate a server just as people come in thinking the server still has the people there. Reduce servers then FFA makes a bit more sense IMO.

Personally, I don't have much to lose in the short run. Not playing TOR anyways. May be that's why I'm not scream-ranting as much as some others? I still call Bioware out on this crud though.

So my complaints are really looking more towards the future of TOR. I'd love to come back one day, renew my sub, and enjoy TOR again with new content, new planets, new cap, new classes, and with guildies and plenty of PUGers on an active server. But I don't see that happening anytime soon, and with these transfers, I don't see me being on any active server without sacrificing something, let alone with a guild that's still in one place.

Edited by cipher_nemo

Still, 140 people on the fleet at 1:30pm (EDT) just around two hours after transfers were announced to that server? That seems pretty good to me.

My server, Davik's Estate, had 175 people online for a week on the fleet after 1.2 came out. Often now I log on I am the only person online. Yes, for now its going to be great, but in another two months get ready to free transfer again.

I would agree with you except that ship has long since sailed.

It left dock yesterday when they moved 122 servers in one day. Now they want to put on the brakes?

Can you blame the people that are left behind in the process for being irritable and a bit confused?

I certainly don't.

Bioware really excel at setting peoples expectations only to pour cold water on them.

Quoted for truth.

My server, Davik's Estate, had 175 people online for a week on the fleet after 1.2 came out. Often now I log on I am the only person online. Yes, for now its going to be great, but in another two months get ready to free transfer again.

If that happens again, I really, really hope Bioware learned its lesson from this transfer-on-rails. I don't want to see history repeat itself, even though that's the de facto of destiny.

They have all day, and possibly into next week to still do that.

Even I was quite impressed for someone from the UK, and I'm still monitoring the server checking wzs playing and so on, and gotta say that people of flocking quite fast to the server.

Wonder if my server might make the list next. :D

Doing things the right way isn't always popular, and if peoples expectations are doused, maybe they should have tempered them before they knew how things were gonna play out. BW did say from the get go it would be a gradual process.

And then they moved 122 servers in one day.

You see what I'm saying?

They seem to lack any ability at all to manage expectations. The time to take metrics and monitor was in the first two days. Not to wait until Thursday and tell people that some of them would be spending the weekend on their dead servers because now they need to slow down.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they will lose subs over this if they leave people on dead servers over the weekend. Maybe they think they will gain more than they lose, I don't know but people will take this personally as you can already see from their reactions in this thread.

And don't lump me in with the whiners. I haven't played more than 5 minutes in the past month and my sub runs out Monday. I will say I won't renew if I am left on a dead server for the weekend but the truth is I'm not even sure a transfer will be enough to keep me around. In my case it all depends on what my friends do and one of them already quit due to the way these transfers are being handled.

I'm not whining, I just want them to do the right thing. The mmo community needs this game to succeed whether they realize it or not and I get so exhausted watching them make terrible decision after terrible decision. It's like they want people to hate their game...I just don't get it...

Is shadowhand going to be either destination or a origan server at all? Or is it going to be left in the cold?

I would realy like to know because if not theres no reason to keep playing on that dead *** server. Or at all for that matter.

Hers some data Shadowhand is dead and has been for awhile now.

that needs to be answered... its the same with Legions of Lettow in EU. 17 out of 20 servers are origin for one destination leaving only 3 servers with much lower total population than the mega pvp server. so we need to know what you are planning to do...

If your fine doing what you need then you should just stay on your server for now, and wait and see how things play out on the new server after things have settled down. Yes, you run a higher risk of losing names waiting longer, but honestly probably not much different than what it would be unless your server was the first to transfer onto the new server.

I hear ya. We've gone round and round in guildchat about this very topic.

We're leaning transfer now. Some of the more picky folks don't want to lose their names, but the rest of us are eyeing guild expansion and drooling.

When the hell is Vornskr going to get on this list? I'm tired of this f'ing dead server. I'm so close to just unsubbing both my accounts.

I mean *** are servers with HIGHER pops than ours get to transfer while we sit her picking our buttholes?

Edited by miglor

Just for clarification, I'm already "unsub"bed. More accurately I canceled my sub's auto-renewal a month ago (paying every 3 months). So that's not an option for me since it's a done deal.

Thank you for reminding me to cancel, so they don't bill me again on the 18th.

You see what I'm saying?

They seem to lack any ability at all to manage expectations. The time to take metrics and monitor was in the first two days. Not to wait until Thursday and tell people that some of them would be spending the weekend on their dead servers because now they need to slow down.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, they will lose subs over this if they leave people on dead servers over the weekend. Maybe they think they will gain more than they lose, I don't know but people will take this personally as you can already see from their reactions in this thread.

And don't lump me in with the whiners. I haven't played more than 5 minutes in the past month and my sub runs out Monday. I will say I won't renew if I am left on a dead server for the weekend but the truth is I'm not even sure a transfer will be enough to keep me around. In my case it all depends on what my friends do and one of them already quit due to the way these transfers are being handled.

I'm not whining, I just want them to do the right thing. The mmo community needs this game to succeed whether they realize it or not and I get so exhausted watching them make terrible decision after terrible decision. It's like they want people to hate their game...I just don't get it...

You're saying all the right things.. 100%, but please stop feeding the wookie.

Well... I took a day off from the forums only to come back and see that the tantrums haven't stopped...

It's an ongoing process.

Also, is there a Q&A about the server transfers? I've been looking for one in the forums but I'm starting to get a little fried from excel sheet; can't seem to find one.

You see what I'm saying?

Managing expectations is pretty much impossible, because all kinds of people come to expect all kinds of ridiculous things. So if they'd only done 10 servers a day and it would take 3 months to finish the transfers, that would be better than doing alot the first 2 days then slowing down to see how things were going?

It's an ongoing process.

Also, is there a Q&A about the server transfers? I've been looking for one in the forums but I'm starting to get a little fried from excel sheet; can't seem to find one.

Did you post this from the 5th Dimension?

Hi folks, just wanted to let you all know that we will be opening up more servers today. I also wanted to remind everyone that the opening of origin servers for free character transfers is now in the fine-tuning stage. We will be monitoring server populations and seeing how they stabilize. What this means is that, while we will open up more origin servers today, you're going to see fewer opening up this week and into the next. The weekend will also provide more data for us.

Just saw this - *** - seriously? If they are basing it on low to high then Darth Malek is probably one of the higher ones (if you can count 6 people on fleet last night as high) so I get to twiddle my thumbs while wait, again while others get settled on their new servers?

You can check my post history, I've never be a BW hater but this is some ********.

What the Hell do you mean "remind" people when this is the first that you had said that there will be slow down while some servers are left out until next week. It's only "reminding" if you have communicated it before - maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing it.

Edited by JaxonLuxor

that needs to be answered... its the same with Legions of Lettow in EU. 17 out of 20 servers are origin for one destination leaving only 3 servers with much lower total population than the mega pvp server. so we need to know what you are planning to do...

Agreed its bull they come out and say hey some of you are going to be left behind for awhile. But yet wont say who.

Its also bull they can do as many as they have already and exspect the ones of us left behind to just continue on dead servers while they get their act together.

I understand its a work in progress but when they are make that progress as fast as they have been. We get the idea hey we gonna get our transfers realy soon. Then they hit the brakes oh wait we gotta slow down now. Its just BS

Is shadowhand getting transfers this week? I got till saterday when my time runs out been unsubbed for awhile and was hopeing to have reason to renew. But if im stuck on this deaD Server past then im just gone .

You're saying all the right things.. 100%, but please stop feeding the wookie.

Oh I'm not going anywhere, I've been in this thread for 2 days ;)

Actually, I am going to do some RL stuff here in a bit, but I'll be back unless the Razor is up for transfer when I get home.