Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but your comment sure is.

This game reacts no different than games like LoTRO and others. If you like WoW, which btw is a dumbed down version of most combat systems, then too bad. This isn't WoW and I personally do not have problems with the combat system.

Wow is simply the point of reference for most people when it comes to smooth and responsive play. That game has set the standards for the MMO genre and matching the smoothness of control and character responsiveness of WOW should be a massive priority for any MMO developer.

As I have said, the ultimate hook in any MMO is the combat and feel of the character itself, yet repeatedly over the past 6/7 years, MMO developers either fail to realise this, or can simply not match Blizzard's excellence in this area. I'm not sure which it is, and I don't care, but the results are the same with a list of games which have not lived up to their potential.

I do not want SWTOR to join that 'club' but its on its way at present.

The game should not be reliant on only the content rewards (items/gear/skillup/levelups) for its player interest. The combat is the ultimate hook and if it isn't fun, the game isn't fun, although it can limp along for a while as a result of all of the other incentives to play. Bioware need to realise this!

How many people remember that in the first few months of WOW's release there were open world PVP wars involving hundreds of people on each side before PVP rewards even existed? There was no honour system, no fancy armour for kills... nothing. The combat was just FUN, and it always has been. The first MMO developer to realise this crucial fact and effectovely act on it will become rich beyond belief. Get the combat/character control/responsiveness right and everything in the game is easier and flows from that.

Thread number 4 - rated 5 star.

Edited by Larlar

It is ridiculous how some players claim they do not have the problem. They obviously do, but don't even notice it.

It's been mentioned before - there are two scenarios when it comes to the naysayers.

1) Blind fanbois who will white knight the game no matter what.

2) People who are inherently slow or too casual to notice the ability delay (or as some would say, the "bads")

The issue has already been well documented and acknowledged by the developers. It's not a debate. When people come into these threads and say "nuh-uh!" it just shows that they are one of the above types and should be ignored. The very least they could do is read the first post before they decide to chime in.

Then you already made your mind up and why say anything more?

You already told us that you love the combat system and the game is only 2 weeks old...blah blah blah. You made up your mind that you are enjoying this game. Good for you! Go play then and let us try to fix something that is broken to us. Why do you have anything more to say?

The best example of this problem (which happens all over combat/abilities) is when mounting. It is easily replicable. We've all seen the video on the front page where the guy mounts and "starts running before he's mounted". Try doing the same thing in this game. YOU GET DISMOUNTED if the mounting animation has not finished playing. It's ludicrous.

When I first noticed this problem (back in beta) I didn't so much think of it as a bug. But ill be honest I'm noticing it more and more in PvE and PvP.

The Assassin's "Assassinate" ability is a prime example also. Its an "instant" cast ability and will trigger a GCD. However, the blade spins above the characters head for a good long while before doing its damage (I haven't timed it but it appears to be at least as long as the GCD). It has cost me many a killing blow in PvP and PvE situations and it just feels clumsy as hell.

I recently rolled a JK on my republic guild and the issue seems even more prevalent for that class. I have been playing MMOs for years (DCUO, WoW, Guild Wars) and WoW definitely has this aspect of gameplay down. I am constantly clipping abilities in this game and fighting "awkwardly". I basically will not play my JK at all (though I would like to) because everything outside of cutscenes feels horrible.

Rated this thread!

The best example of this problem (which happens all over combat/abilities) is when mounting. It is easily replicable. We've all seen the video on the front page where the guy mounts and "starts running before he's mounted". Try doing the same thing in this game. YOU GET DISMOUNTED if the mounting animation has not finished playing. It's ludicrous.

When I first noticed this problem (back in beta) I didn't so much think of it as a bug. But ill be honest I'm noticing it more and more in PvE and PvP.

The Assassin's "Assassinate" ability is a prime example also. Its an "instant" cast ability and will trigger a GCD. However, the blade spins above the characters head for a good long while before doing its damage (I haven't timed it but it appears to be at least as long as the GCD). It has cost me many a killing blow in PvP and PvE situations and it just feels clumsy as hell.

I recently rolled a JK on my republic guild and the issue seems even more prevalent for that class. I have been playing MMOs for years (DCUO, WoW, Guild Wars) and WoW definitely has this aspect of gameplay down. I am constantly clipping abilities in this game and fighting "awkwardly". I basically will not play my JK at all (though I would like to) because everything outside of cutscenes feels horrible.

Rated this thread!

Again, thank you for the additional information. Do you have an agent? Have you experienced the grenade lag like is shown on the top post?

Also, what server are you on?

I'll try to recreate the mount delay on my system and see if I get the same thing.

Are there any specific abilities that are issues with a JK?

Edited by Vodswyld

Again, thank you for the additional information. Do you have an agent? Have you experienced the grenade lag like is shown on the top post?

Also, what server are you on?

I'll try to recreate the mount delay on my system and see if I get the same thing.

No I have not experienced the grenade lag though I do not doubt its existence. I have only played my Assassin to 50. Once I started getting more and more abilities I started to notice this issue more prevalently. My Jedi Knight is only level 12 or so and it was a horrible experience.

I am on The Harbinger - Empire.

I don't know if you've played WoW, but anyone who has should know what I'm going on about with the mount thing. Everyone begins running/flying/moving as soon as the cast bar has finished "casting mount" (even though they are not yet mounted). They'll start moving at "mount speed" just as the youtube vid on the front page describes. You will be mounted a short time after. It is very fluid.

If you attempt the same in this game you will either cancel the cast or get dismounted (because your "cast was cancelled by your movement"). Being dismounted occurs far more often.

Edited by En-Sabanur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFgyeRFbdo&context=C3d50270ADOEgsToPDskJYu1y-3uG_uWyCstMK7nMz

That video is a great example of how this have nothing to do with animation, spell just dont fire.

What seems to have something to do with animation is the ability travel time that is extended depending on the previous ability casted.

Not being able to cast a spell at GCD have nothing to do with animation.

The time it takes before the ability land, perhaps.

Rated this thread!

Nice post.

Bumping this thread until I cancel my sub. I think I can last 2-3 months with the current beta phase.

I am a lover of the game (not a fanboy, though), still I consider this a fundamental issue to be fixed ASAP, as FIRST priority.

As is, I feel "tired" after playing my assassin, because the responsiveness is so crappy that it makes me try to "move" my character with my thought, if you know what i mean... I keep saying, c'mon, c'mon, move!! .. :(

No I have not experienced the grenade lag though I do not doubt its existence. I have only played my Assassin to 50. Once I started getting more and more abilities I started to notice this issue more prevalently. My Jedi Knight is only level 12 or so and it was a horrible experience.

I am on The Harbinger - Empire.

I don't know if you've played WoW, but anyone who has should know what I'm going on about with the mount thing. Everyone begins running/flying/moving as soon as the cast bar has finished "casting mount" (even though they are not yet mounted). They'll start moving at "mount speed" just as the youtube vid on the front page describes. You will be mounted a short time after. It is very fluid.

If you attempt the same in this game you will either cancel the cast or get dismounted (because your "cast was cancelled by your movement"). Being dismounted occurs far more often.

Yes, I have played WoW, and I understand the issue. I don't have a mount yet (Shush, I only started playing like a week ago) but am close to getting one so I should be able to check it tonight.

I know I edited my above question after you replied, but is there anything specific about JK that has been an issue? You said the whole thing was a disaster. I would like to test it after testing the mount thing.

Can anyone else chime in with specifically which server, class, and abilities they are have trouble with?

Also if anyone is bored and has some free time, can you also try rolling a JK on Harbinger as well as your home server and see if there is any difference? I'll be doing the same, but more data is never bad.

Since it's a third reincarnation of the thread, I am posting to rate and to bump.

I am cancelling as we speak (for this and couple of other reasons) and will continue to lurk these forums long after, until someone says it has been repaired.

I really wanted SW:TOR to be BioWare's successful take on mmos but it seems it was rushed and already forsaken (quality of CS?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFgyeRFbdo&context=C3d50270ADOEgsToPDskJYu1y-3uG_uWyCstMK7nMz

That video is a great example of how this have nothing to do with animation, spell just dont fire.

What seems to have something to do with animation is the ability travel time that is extended depending on the previous ability casted.

Not being able to cast a spell at GCD have nothing to do with animation.

The time it takes before the ability land, perhaps.

Wow... that is kinda brutal.

Yes, I have played WoW, and I understand the issue. I don't have a mount yet (Shush, I only started playing like a week ago) but am close to getting one so I should be able to check it tonight.

I know I edited my above question after you replied, but is there anything specific about JK that has been an issue? You said the whole thing was a disaster. I would like to test it after testing the mount thing.

Can anyone else chime in with specifically which server, class, and abilities they are have trouble with?

Also if anyone is bored and has some free time, can you also try rolling a JK on Harbinger as well as your home server and see if there is any difference? I'll be doing the same, but more data is never bad.

I think it just more came down to the fact I am now used to playing my Assassin. I have a rotation where I apply my DOTs and what not (all are instant cast with animations less than the GCD) and then I start doing my melee abilities before renewing DOTs. One of the DOTs is talented to bring it down to instant cast. I can remember before I talented it, that moving at the end of the cast bar constantly cancelled it (because right after the cast finished, the character "extends its hand to finish the cast"). I would always move after finishing the cast and have it cancel on me.

It just appeared on the JK that because all abilities were melee with some animations involved it was horrendous. There is one ability (I forget its name) that you get early on that is channelled. God forbid you don't let that thing finish before moving because it is essentially a channelled DOT. The last "tick" is constantly not applied (because I move when the cast bar finishes).