Addons/Additions we NEED

1. Dps meters - There needs to be a way to track dps. I'm not a math genius, so I can't keep track of the numbers as they fly by the screen and clock them into a spreadsheet for a 5 minutes span to see what my optimal rotation is. You can't figure out your full potential if you can't see your results.

2. Action bars - I have 2 in the middle, the 2 at the side are useless, why can't I just drag them to the center?! I use keybinds, but I've gotten so used to be able to actually see my spells without having to strain my neck to look over at them, that it's ubearable.

3. "Doodads" - This game is heavily based on the story/RP factor, yet...we can't sit in chairs? I have no drinking animation? There are no chat bubbles?

4.Global cooldowns - The GCD of all spells really needs to be lowered a little. If I'm not mistaken it's at a full second right now. It makes the combat choppy, when it wouldn't be otherwise. Lower it to .5 or even .75. Also, on a sidenote, my personal experience with spell that do not share GCD (interrupts/cooldowns spells), is that they just simply do not go off the first...second...or even third time I click them. I have to click like a lunatic to get it to even go off. I would have all these keybound btw, but my mouse is also apparently incompatable with the game.

Edit: 5. Target of target. There is far too much going on in any given group encounter that I can't possibly keep track of whether a mob is facing me or not, let alone if he is attacking me. I don't understand why this wasn't put in...I just don't.

TL;DR: I love the game, best pre-end game mmo experience I've ever had. However, if it's going to last, it is my PERSONAL opinion that it needs the above 5 changes.

Edited by Zorke

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1, 2, 5 - agree.

3 - There are some chairs that you can sit in. They are just kind of few and far between.

4 - It is 1.5, same as Wow. You can lower it with Alacrity right? I havn't had a problem getting interrupts off, although this ability can miss.

Edited by Sarkav

Is it server lag then? I feel like the combat is REALLY choppy. It's not the spell queues either, I turned that off the second I logged in.

Also, I'm not sure what the combat mechanics are, but I am STILL unsure if I even have an auto attack, being a level 31 assassin. Sometimes it seems like it's there, but when I right click it's not doing anything.

Idk, just seems slow to me. Just my critical and perhaps ludicrous opinion.

1. Dps meters - There needs to be a way to track dps. I'm not a math genius, so I can't keep track of the numbers as they fly by the screen and clock them into a spreadsheet for a 5 minutes span to see what my optimal rotation is. You can't figure out your full potential if you can't see your results.

2. Action bars - I have 2 in the middle, the 2 at the side are useless, why can't I just drag them to the center?! I use keybinds, but I've gotten so used to be able to actually see my spells without having to strain my neck to look over at them, that it's ubearable.

3. "Doodads" - This game is heavily based on the story/RP factor, yet...we can't sit in chairs? I have no drinking animation? There are no chat bubbles?

4.Global cooldowns - The GCD of all spells really needs to be lowered a little. If I'm not mistaken it's at a full second right now. It makes the combat choppy, when it wouldn't be otherwise. Lower it to .5 or even .75. Also, on a sidenote, my personal experience with spell that do not share GCD (interrupts/cooldowns spells), is that they just simply do not go off the first...second...or even third time I click them. I have to click like a lunatic to get it to even go off. I would have all these keybound btw, but my mouse is also apparently incompatable with the game.

Edit: 5. Target of target. There is far too much going on in any given group encounter that I can't possibly keep track of whether a mob is facing me or not, let alone if he is attacking me. I don't understand why this wasn't put in...I just don't.

TL;DR: I love the game, best pre-end game mmo experience I've ever had. However, if it's going to last, it is my PERSONAL opinion that it needs the above 5 changes.

When I started playing WoW, I thought it was awesome that we could use addons. It was great, I could feed my pet without actually doing anything. DPS meters allowed me to see what was the best rotation. Heals, etc. CC, who broke what. After a while you couldn't play WoW without those addons. Look at any guild that runs raids; do they have a list of required addons?

The Old Republic is a new game. Relearn how to play without relying on addons.

Look at my list. These are NEEDED things in an mmo. I'm not saying we need DBM and little mods that tell us exactly what to do. Seriously, at least read the post if you're going to reply with your ignorant drivel.

You cannot possibly hope to squeeze all you can out of a class without being able to compare different builds.

I'm not saying we need addons per say, but we certainly need a way to track damage, have target of target, and the ability to customize at least our action bars.

RIFT, perhaps one of the worst MMOs in existence, at least got this part of it right.

Edit: Not to be rude, but if you are against DPS meters, it's most likely because you hate when you're on the bottom and get chewed out for being bad.

Edited by Zorke

Look at my list. These are NEEDED things in an mmo. I'm not saying we need DBM and little mods that tell us exactly what to do. Seriously, at least read the post if you're going to reply with your ignorant drivel.

You cannot possibly hope to squeeze all you can out of a class without being able to compare different builds.

I'm not saying we need addons per say, but we certainly need a way to track damage, have target of target, and the ability to customize at least our action bars.

RIFT, perhaps one of the worst MMOs in existence, at least got this part of it right.

Edit: Not to be rude, but if you are against DPS meters, it's most likely because you hate when you're on the bottom and get chewed out for being bad.

DPS meters also have the chance of someone using them the wrong way. If the DPS meter is for you only and no one else then okay but if it has the ability for someone else to use them then no. I've known people that use that to be rude and mean to people because they didn't "measure" up to their standards and that is wrong.

NO WE DON'T

What you need is to actually develop more skill.

Yes, you can develop skill whilst being unable to see your dps results.

Obvious troll.

DPS Meters are something that will make it into the game anyway, be it by parsing combat logs or through an ingame addon, just let us take the easy way ... it's an important tool for both measuring one's proficiency and evaluating others to a certain extent.

Edited by Ecclesiarch

NO WE DON'T

What you need is to actually develop more skill.

I AGREE! We need more skill in doing the math equations of the dps that goes by the screen!

We need better understanding of how angles work so we know precisely what angle the mob will be at if he is to be attacking us.

1. I just want a combat log so I can use it for myself. The numbers are on the screen so I see no reason why they can be throw into a chat window.

2. Would be useful. I've gotten use to what I have right now but being able to work with it a little more would be nice.

3. Don't really care.

4. No it doesn't. This messes with pretty much their entire system around balance and skill usage. Something like that is a major change and completely unnecessary.

5. I don't have a problem with the suggest...but you really have a problem determining who is getting attack? Maybe it is because I am a healer but in flashpoints I have no problem determining who is getting attacked by what.

DPS Counters, "optimal rotations", and other min-maxing will do nothing but pull you out of the experience that Bioware has so painstakingly designed. It destroys immersion, and irritates those who may not be the most experienced MMO players.

Being measured and graded based on which skill tree you chose, or the pace at which you decide to play the game turns a role playing game into a mindless button masher. To make the inevitable comparison: World of Warcraft became progressively less fun with every new statistical addon (Recount, Gearscore, etc)

DPS Counters, "optimal rotations", and other min-maxing will do nothing but pull you out of the experience that Bioware has so painstakingly designed. It destroys immersion, and irritates those who may not be the most experienced MMO players.

Being measured and graded based on which skill tree you chose, or the pace at which you decide to play the game turns a role playing game into a mindless button masher. To make the inevitable comparison: World of Warcraft became progressively less fun with every new statistical addon (Recount, Gearscore, etc)

You obviously have not made it very far in the game. This game isn't like other MMO's, endgame is challenging. Calling min/maxing a character "mindless button mashing" just goes to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

As for the "be more skilled" comments, that doesn't even make sense. I ask for meters to min/max and a customizable UI to change around the current awkward mess that we have. How is that me being unskillful?

Also, as has been known since their release, the only people that don't like damage meters are the people who suck at them. You got kicked out of your WoW guild because you suck, don't blame the meters for it.

You obviously have not made it very far in the game. This game isn't like other MMO's, endgame is challenging. Calling min/maxing a character "mindless button mashing" just goes to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

As for the "be more skilled" comments, that doesn't even make sense. I ask for meters to min/max and a customizable UI to change around the current awkward mess that we have. How is that me being unskillful?

Also, as has been known since their release, the only people that don't like damage meters are the people who suck at them. You got kicked out of your WoW guild because you suck, don't blame the meters for it.

I can add to this, I don't particularly like damage meters, but I'm usually at the very top of the list in damage, so for me I'm the complete opposite of what you are saying, not everyone who hates the damage meter sucks at them, I'm at the top and I never get taken by anyone, the only addon I would like is really target of target, I always seem to attack the things the tank isn't attacking, so it would help in the long run, and a more customizable UI is always good.

You failed to explain -why- you don't like them. If you are at the top, just moments before your death, you are wrong. If you are at the top while still executing all of your other role responsibilities correctly, you are doing it right.

More importantly though, I want them not for payer comparison, but rather for my own personal comparisons of different dps rotations to see what is optimal for my character. I just find it hard to believe that assassins are viable dps just by spamming maul, which is what most people are saying.

You failed to explain -why- you don't like them. If you are at the top, just moments before your death, you are wrong. If you are at the top while still executing all of your other role responsibilities correctly, you are doing it right.

More importantly though, I want them not for payer comparison, but rather for my own personal comparisons of different dps rotations to see what is optimal for my character. I just find it hard to believe that assassins are viable dps just by spamming maul, which is what most people are saying.

I don't like them because of how some people use them to yell at others and put them down, it's a little upsetting, and in a raid that makes it bad for moral. To answer the other question, I'm at the top without dying and doing my role correctly, I don't tend to make a mistake in a raid or a dungeon, unless some obnoxious roommates of mine decide to barge in and talking to me, that is the only time I make mistakes, because I get distracted, but if you want it just for your personal usage and not use it to yell at others or chew them out, then I'm ok with that reasoning, I just don't like elitists and their nature of using the damage meter.

I don't like them because of how some people use them to yell at others and put them down, it's a little upsetting, and in a raid that makes it bad for moral. To answer the other question, I'm at the top without dying and doing my role correctly, I don't tend to make a mistake in a raid or a dungeon, unless some obnoxious roommates of mine decide to barge in and talking to me, that is the only time I make mistakes, because I get distracted, but if you want it just for your personal usage and not use it to yell at others or chew them out, then I'm ok with that reasoning, I just don't like elitists and their nature of using the damage meter.

Blame the player not the meter. I'm usually "good guy greg" when it comes to damage meters. When I see someone under performing, I can usually pinpoint it and tell them a few things they can do to improve.

If I get a response along the lines of "I don't need to do better I'm just playing the game the way I want to play it," then to all their own, I don't want to play difficult content with people who are not even going to try.

As you can see by these forums, there are ALREADY elitists without meters, as there always will be.