Adaptive Social Gear in Action!

AlysonBridge

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one am glad that this finally got addressed. Some of the social gear looks great (Imperial Soldier) but I was disappointed that it was light armor only. In comes 1.3 and >BAM< a viable look.

what do you do in-game?

pvp, OP, HM?

how do you plan to maximize your characters effectiveness, while looking cool and not gimping yourself, your team, or your group?

(or do you actually have people to play with on your server/guild? i.e. champaign/WH gear)

Adaptive Social Gear does not adapt to Battlemaster set bonuses, why is that BioWare?

because it was poorly thought out and lazy.

and, unless someone from BW actually comes in here and explains it, there is no other answer.

and, i'm and understanding person...if it just can't be done (why, i would not know), i'll accept it.

poor design and no communication is just unacceptable.

When you unsub BW asks you 300 questions of how would you feel, if you ever did and would you play .. etc all about Free to play mode and cash shops. It's obvious they are asking those for a reason and they are interested in their own game and not Lotro.

They already know september comes all thos 6moth subs are gone they will have no choice but put in cash shop. Just wait till guilds going to get shafted with transfers. Move guild bank into player banks, disband, transfer and than start guild from scratch? That is gonna work well with people who are already pissed off waiting months on dead servers with no means to replenish their dwindling ranks...

Cahs shops first with fluff. (Problem is we have no apearance tab to show the fluff yet) F2P by december. Kudos.

i consider myself a "unique thinker". and i have a SERIOUS problem when i see thousands upon THOUSANDS of complaints regarding social gear, appearance slots, color palettes, and character customization in general.

what i do when i see a problem: i find as many ways to solve this problem as efficiently as possible, as well as actually addressing the issue at hand.

this adaptive gear DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING!!

caps...yes caps...i'm sorry, i just cannot wrap my mind around the firm stance of not allowing players to create, mold, and dress their character how they want. do game developers not understand the bond people make with their characters?

this bond is only further strengthened thru appearance...actually liking the way you look creates and sense of satisfaction and keeps players who would otherwise move on, become attached to those characters and make it difficult to abandon them, since they have this bond with their toon.

in closing,

problem: severe inability to customize character appearances (which leads to dissatisfied customers and afore mentioned stuff

resolution: appearance slots, armor color kits, retro armor mod improvements.

fix it. (i don't want to hear the coding nonsnese, the difficulties, the time it takes...you want to succeed? it's called hard work and sacrifice.)

Man oh man. So many things here. You consider yourself a "unique thinker"? What does that even mean? You aren't even using proper grammar. Trying to position yourself as one who can come up with solutions of higher intellectual strength than the rest of us falls hard when you ignore some of the most basic elements of writing and communication.

You are right about the bond being strengthened through appearance, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned you are wrong in saying that this change they are making doesn't help. I'm sure excited about it. I actually have quite a few toons decked out in social gear and even take the armor hit just to get the look, so for someone like me this is killer. While it obviously doesn't help the min/maxers as much as they'd like, it is a big and needed improvement.

As for not wanting to hear coding nonsense, you just completely nuked any remaining chance you had at being taken seriously, especially when you earlier stated that you try to "solve the problem as efficiently as possible" and then follow that up with not wanting to hear about coding, difficulties, or time. How do you intend to be efficient if you don't take these variables into consideration? You haven't actually presented us with any solutions here, just a wishlist.

Do you have any idea how much the people on a game development team work and sacrifice to please people like us? Families are destroyed in the gaming industry. Work weeks are long, days endless, and launch dates often non-negotiable. I'm curious what you know about hard work and sacrifice to make this statement, about a game?

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't consider you the "unique thinker" that you do, when you really brought nothing unique to the table.

because it was poorly thought out and lazy.

and, unless someone from BW actually comes in here and explains it, there is no other answer.

and, i'm and understanding person...if it just can't be done (why, i would not know), i'll accept it.

poor design and no communication is just unacceptable.

Well our so called Lead Game Designer is an admitted roleplayer, yet he's the one fighting against most of the communities' roleplay requests with excuses about "later", "you'd be confused by playing a freak alien" or "it's too hard", so I just call that guy a liar instead & don't trust anything he ever says. Yeah, SWTOR is about as anti-SWG as an MMO can ever try to be, it's pretty sad considering that so many ex-SWG players migrated here with hopes & dreams of making this their new permanent virtual homes.

Man oh man. So many things here. You consider yourself a "unique thinker"? What does that even mean? You aren't even using proper grammar. Trying to position yourself as one who can come up with solutions of higher intellectual strength than the rest of us falls hard when you ignore some of the most basic elements of writing and communication.

You are right about the bond being strengthened through appearance, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned you are wrong in saying that this change they are making doesn't help. I'm sure excited about it. I actually have quite a few toons decked out in social gear and even take the armor hit just to get the look, so for someone like me this is killer. While it obviously doesn't help the min/maxers as much as they'd like, it is a big and needed improvement.

did you ever think all the social/special armor was made "light" to be used in appearance slots...so everybody can use them...but, now, BW keeps trying to put their own special twists on things (adaptive armor) instead of going with the tried and true(appearance slots)?

just doesn't make sense...now u gotta get the gear, spend 500k+ to mod it, and you can't even use the columbine, rakata, tionese gear bonuses.

not very intuitive...you CANNOT argue that, can you?

As for not wanting to hear coding nonsense, you just completely nuked any remaining chance you had at being taken seriously, especially when you earlier stated that you try to "solve the problem as efficiently as possible" and then follow that up with not wanting to hear about coding, difficulties, or time. How do you intend to be efficient if you don't take these variables into consideration? You haven't actually presented us with any solutions here, just a wishlist.

Do you have any idea how much the people on a game development team work and sacrifice to please people like us? Families are destroyed in the gaming industry. Work weeks are long, days endless, and launch dates often non-negotiable. I'm curious what you know about hard work and sacrifice to make this statement, about a game?

as opposed to, say, the miltary? omg...working long hours tears families apart?! go find a new job...

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't consider you the "unique thinker" that you do, when you really brought nothing unique to the table.

care to explain technology that has been used since 2003 not in SWTOR? (armor dye, appearance slots, etc.) ya know...typical standard features.

and, not that it matters, this is the forumz...see that z, see what i did there? it's called shorthand and a little writer's lib.

with todays short attention spans and TL;DR society, i try to fall in line.

so, you breaking down my means of communication means little to me. if you cannot be open minded enuff (lol...omg <---u see that spelling of enough...appalling) to see past shorthand, grammar, and spelling on FORUMZ, then we'll never see eye to eye.

but, your opinion is just as valid as mine...

p.s. "unique thinker" is a joke from The Mighty Boosh...i call it somewhat serious humor.

p.p.s. ironically enough, my specialty is QA...and this adaptive gear would not have passed, had i had a chance to review it.

Edited by T-Assassin

SWG had this in 2003-2004.

mind blowing, huh?

MMO:

character attachment (gear customization, personal looks) + content + community = success

4th pillar...crumbled.

Yup, I played SWG since day 1, I remember being able to look how I wanted 99% of the time (appearance tab came alot later but for the most part they had tons of armor choices so you could pretty much look unique... except for that phase when everyone wore Composite Armour, hehe).

Yup, I played SWG since day 1, I remember being able to look how I wanted 99% of the time (appearance tab came alot later but for the most part they had tons of armor choices so you could pretty much look unique... except for that phase when everyone wore Composite Armour, hehe).

and i remember having my account active for 6+months, even tho i didn't play...

because i was attached to my character...it was me, on the internetz...

i looked how i wanted, had the gear i wanted, used the saber color/carbine i wanted...

again, mistakes made in the past being repeated...what's that called again?

insanity...yeah, that's it.

Well our so called Lead Game Designer is an admitted roleplayer, yet he's the one fighting against most of the communities' roleplay requests with excuses about "later", "you'd be confused by playing a freak alien" or "it's too hard", so I just call that guy a liar instead & don't trust anything he ever says. Yeah, SWTOR is about as anti-SWG as an MMO can ever try to be, it's pretty sad considering that so many ex-SWG players migrated here with hopes & dreams of making this their new permanent virtual homes.

omg, ikr. (betcha that drives those grammar nazi's nutz :p )

when this game was announced, i was playing a Trandoshian BH...that didn't happen :(

and don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT, GREAT game...as it pertains to grafix, gameplay, physics, combat, etc.

it's the MMO and customization that is severely lacking. and that's the easy fixes...it has to be, if it was in SWG!!

Edited by T-Assassin

Bw doesn't want you to look like you "want". BW wants you to look like "they want" you to look like:P Overbloated devs and their ideas is what's killing the game. Not fans:P

Great!!! Now all I need is people to play with so I can grind SP :mon_trap:

and a guild to raid with, or a group to PvP with...

unless you do not care about set bonuses and maximizing your character.

(i'm not a HC psycho, but i wouldn't invite someone to the group (pvp mainly) that doesn't care to maximize their character.)

that's just my speed...i like to be as good as i can at what i do, and this adaptive gear does not allow me to do that. not with the hinderance of server populations, pvp q's, and summertime OP schedulings.

appearance slots, retro armor mod set bonuses, or current, non-intuitive design on PTS.

Bw doesn't want you to look like you "want". BW wants you to look like "they want" you to look like:P Overbloated devs and their ideas is what's killing the game. Not fans:P

i've had several long conversations about this, specifically. i'm afraid you may be right.

it feels like this is their ball of clay, and they want to mold it into some new invention, instead of just making a vase (like in Ghost, i hate that movie...but, Swayze kicked *** :) )

but, evidence is there:

-no aliens

-no appearance slots

-4 body styles/no sliders

-few class chioces (can easily make SI convert to sage and give abilities at say 500k DS poiints)

-choices!

the forums make me sad :)

Well one of the devs openly confirmed that we don't have options to change the color of our gear because they don't want to see a lot of people on the fleet in "blatant colors"...

They still don't figure that it is better to have peps on fleet wearing all colors of the rainbow that... have an empty fleet.

It's ok. BW devs are making history in the mmo market for sure. Just not the type of history we all wanted/cheared for them to make...

Well one of the devs openly confirmed that we don't have options to change the color of our gear because they don't want to see a lot of people on the fleet in "blatant colors"...

They still don't figure that it is better to have peps on fleet wearing all colors of the rainbow that... have an empty fleet.

It's ok. BW devs are making history in the mmo market for sure. Just not the type of history we all wanted/cheared for them to make...

yep.

and i love the questions they decide to answer on those Q&A's.

most of the questions they answwer have already been posted somewhere!! like the how does adaptive gear work?? LOL..

how bout answering the questions people been asking about customization, mod costs, retro mods, etc. etc.

not questions you've already answered.

Question...

Is adaptive gear specifically for social gear?

cause i like the look of some bounty hunter gear and want that

Thanks! :D

Adaptive gear is anything classed as social gear, but that doesnt men you have to have social points to actualy get hold of the sets, example is the containment officer set we saw in the ragy event. look on darth hater database for lists of all the social gear and where to find it. http://db.darthhater.com/items/social_items/

Great!!! Now all I need is people to play with so I can grind SP :mon_trap:

group finder will sort that one out. whilst testing it on the pts by the time my char hit lvl 13 he was social rank 3.

Edited by Shingara

Like most are saying, its a step in the right direction, but... By the looks of it this is ONLY for social gear, meaning all that other clothing and armor in the game you might want to wear because it looks nice is still useless.

I have several items in my cargo hold I would like to wear or put on my companions but the stats are so bad I wont be able to do that.

When you made this game so very dependant on players having the "right" gear in order to play, customization went right out the window... and now the game suffers for it.

still gana see people in the same old crap just better stats no tone changes no personalty u guys dont get it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

your video with people all in the same gear saiz it all u dont get it at all

as for social gear how can u get it when no ones plays on ya server :p

Edited by TheLordMagnus

That's the Rakghoul-containment-officer (imperial) and was only available during the rakghoul-event. You can't get it anymore, sorry :(

It's coming back. It was very popular. The only question is when. Most likley they have other events in mind so they are probably gonna do this again during holloween (Only time I can think when it would make sense.)