Why aren't Galactic trade centers linked?

Necrosia

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, because simply making every AH cross-faction is absurd.

Not as absurd as you think. But I'm saying the neutral GM should link the other two, rather than be a separate one. Worked fine in EQ2, you could pay a 20% broker fee and purchase from the opposing factions market.

It gave me a heart attack when I went to NS market and saw that all 10 of my items for sale had disappeared into the ether, but then figured out is separate market. Don't see why anyone would get bent out of shape about it, if no one likes it, then they won't use it. I like having an outlet to trade between factions. But I'm not going all the way to NS on a regular basis to check.

I'm pretty sure there are players who wouldn't want their items being bought by players cross-faction. Having a neutral gtn ensures those players are never forced to market their goods to the "bad guys", it's strictly an optional feature that will see more use as more players reach higher tiers and find themselves needing rare higher level items.

Solution: Place a Hutt Trade Network terminal somewhere out of the way on each fleet.

some shady little twi-lek with a dirty looking protocol droid and a trench coat, near the hangar decks by some rusty leaking pipework...

"you want new eye? i sell you x-ray eye!"

"This says Z-ray..."

"Is two better than x!"

Edited by Vereg

Glad to know this. Now i know where to sell my red crystals and dark alignment gear as a Republic player....

The reason I was baffled as to why people didn't know there was a cross-faction GTN is because it's quite obvious you can make gear for a faction you don't belong to. I got a schematic as a Republic player that can only be used by Sith Warriors... I wouldn't have been able to get that schematic if I couldn't sell the gear to Sith.

Solution: Place a Hutt Trade Network terminal somewhere out of the way on each fleet.

This would be nice.

@Dustfinder: It's at the southern end of the lower level of the Promenade. From what I remember.

Edited by dtim

The GTN in Nar Shaddaa is linked between factions, but not with the one on the Fleet. This allows you to sell various items of interest for the opposite faction such as companion gifts, weapon and armor schematics and some other items that can only be found by one or the other faction (as well as take advantage of faction based price deviations and commodity shortages).

They are not, Nar Shada isn't linked with the Imperial Fleet

Because Nar Shada is shared between Imperial and Republic sort of like the neutral AH in WoW. There are some consumables and crafting drops that either side gets before the other...if you can figure out which ones you can make a killing on the Nar Shada GTN as well as a place to sell those jedi only drops etc that you can get from boxes instead of listing them for over inflated prices hoping someone stupid enough buys it before they realize they can't use it.

Do people actually use the Nar Shaddaa GTN?

Why not link them all so those faction-specific ones can be bought by the appropriate people and so prices will be the same between factions. On my server there is a 3:1 Imperial to Republic ratio and so as a consequence everything on the Imperial GTN is half the price as the same item on the Imperial GTN...

The GTN in Nar Shaddaa is linked between factions, but not with the one on the Fleet. This allows you to sell various items of interest for the opposite faction such as companion gifts, weapon and armor schematics and some other items that can only be found by one or the other faction (as well as take advantage of faction based price deviations and commodity shortages).

The only problem with this is...nobody uses it, Georg.

If the Nar Shadda GTN is not linked to both the Republic and Imperial fleet GTN's, it serves no meaningful purpose. I happen to have an alt questing on Nar Shadda currently and in general chat people are asking things like, "Why is there virtually nothing listed on the GTN? I thought this was linked to both the Republic and Imperial GTN's?" Then I had to explain to them that, no, it isn't linked to anything...yes both Republic and Imperial ppl on THIS planet can list on it...but it isn't connected to anything listed on any other planet.

Nar Shadda is a smallish, lowbie-level planet where people which people are on for maybe 4-5 levels. I'd be shocked if the average player spends more than ~ 6 hours of gaming time on the planet total on any given character. My experience in the game so far is that nobody who is currently questing on any other planet in the SWTOR universe is going to interrupt what they are doing and take 20 minutes out and load through a half dozen loading screens just to get from whatever planet they are on to Nar Shadda to use the linked-to-nothing-else-in-SWTOR Nar Shadda GTN's, on the offchance that some random soul from the opposite faction MIGHT have gone through all the hassle to do the same thing.

It's kinda a neat idea, in theory. In practice, it is a pretty miserable failure. Maybe if you put in some way to instant travel from wherver you currently are TO Nar Shadda, list your items, and then instantly travel back (and I mean instantly, not using your space ship and zoning through all kinds of zone screens etc) then it might work out. Short of that, it really serves no purpose.

Edited by MithrilSoul

I guess it all makes sense....and I can handle having to go to a Hutt planet to sell to the opposing faction. The funny thing is, I had no clue about this. I saw an auction terminal and used it - it sure would be nice if Bioware made the player aware that the terminals in NS aren't linked to the Republic but are neutral. Maybe I'm not that observant - which could easily be the case. But if I'm missing that little piece of information, I can guarantee I'm not the only one.

I think it would be a much better idea to do away with both of the faction-specific GTN's entirely and have the only GTN be a neutral GTN, accessible in spaceports and in each planet's major city. As with "that other game," very rarely do people go out of their way to get to the location of neutral GTN (Nar Shaddaa in this case) just to sell things to the opposite faction. It's already hardly used, it's going to be hardly used going forward, and it leads to nothing more than confusion from people wondering why there's barely anything for sale on the GTN because they don't realize it's not the real GTN, only the cross-faction one that nobody uses. This might turn them off of using the GTN in the future because there's so little on there for sale, that's the impression that they get going forward.

I think the only major concern is that people might use it as a method to easily transfer credits from one faction to the other, which may help out credit-sellers. While that may be a legit concern, I don't think that one reason outweighs the benefit it would have to the entire legit playerbase to be able to have their wares exposed to a much larger market. Plus, there's really no reason as far as story or lore is concerned to segregate the GTNs. Just because "that other game" did it is no reason to do it here. You can easily say that all GTNs are run by the Hutts and since they do not want to curry favor with either faction more than the other, they let both have access equally, plus it's more profitable for the Hutts to want both Empire and Republic to have access!

Especially for low population realms, or realms where one faction is significantly small compared to the other, it can be extremely difficult to both buy and sell things. It can be extremely difficult to find what you're looking to buy because there are much fewer of them on your faction's GTN, and much harder to sell because there's fewer potential purchasers. Please don't punish these players who did nothing wrong except choose the "wrong" realm at the server selection screen or they may even have been assigned these servers by Bioware itself upon early access guild importation - hey, in this case, it's YOUR fault! :D

Each planet during the leveling process should have a GTN terminal somewhere in the major city that starts your questing. If you are a gatherer, there is no reason to have to go all the way back to the spaceport just to put some of your stuff up for sale. It's just nothing more than a royal pain in the neck.

Edited by YanksfanJP

If the Nar Shadda GTN is not linked to both the Republic and Imperial fleet GTN's, it serves no meaningful purpose. I happen to have an alt questing on Nar Shadda currently and in general chat people are asking things like, "Why is there virtually nothing listed on the GTN? I thought this was linked to both the Republic and Imperial GTN's?" Then I had to explain to them that, no, it isn't linked to anything...yes both Republic and Imperial ppl on THIS planet can list on it...but it isn't connected to anything listed on any other planet.

Nar Shadda is a smallish, lowbie-level planet where people which people are on for maybe 4-5 levels. I'd be shocked if the average player spends more than ~ 6 hours of gaming time on the planet total on any given character. My experience in the game so far is that nobody who is currently questing on any other planet in the SWTOR universe is going to interrupt what they are doing and take 20 minutes out and load through a half dozen loading screens just to get from whatever planet they are on to Nar Shadda to use the linked-to-nothing-else-in-SWTOR Nar Shadda GTN's, on the offchance that some random soul from the opposite faction MIGHT have gone through all the hassle to do the same thing.

It's kinda a neat idea, in theory. In practice, it is a pretty miserable failure. Maybe if you put in some way to instant travel from wherver you currently are TO Nar Shadda, list your items, and then instantly travel back (and I mean instantly, not using your space ship and zoning through all kinds of zone screens etc) then it might work out. Short of that, it really serves no purpose.

^ truth. I find that the numerous and lengthy loading screens have similar effects on many other areas of the game, but this post is pretty much spot on in regards to the cross-faction GTN. Its convenient(ish) to use the normal GTN on the fleet, because u can also do numerous other things at the pvp/pve/crafting areas and looking for groups for flashpoints etc. Theres literally nothing to do on Nar Shaddaa once u've finished levelling there and staying there for lengthy times to check its gtn is out of the question, as is going through 10 lengthy loading screens to check it for a few brief minutes.

As an additional/side thing, there needs to be some kind of side content / minigame like space combat that can be done from _anywhere_, without having to go through any loading screens or travelling anywhere, and that still allows u to be in the chat for the zone/planet that ur in.

QFE.

I'm curious if the Dev's are monitoring the usage of that system. Travelling to Nar Shadaa isn't something I'm willing to do on a regular basis - time wise I have more reliable sources of income.

Now, if there was a terminal added to Belsavis (a blackmarket run by prisoners) or Ilum (a blackmarket run by pirates) I'd be stopping there daily with various items.

Because Nar Shada is shared between Imperial and Republic sort of like the neutral AH in WoW. .

Just like in wow's "neutral AH's" no one uses it and their lies the problem.

ALL AH should be linked, one would think BW would learn from others mistakes... obviously not.

I have to put in my two cents here. I don't like this straight ripoff of the regular and neutral auction houses in WoW. I've always felt it a bit silly that there are basically three different auction houses in WoW. The GTN is doing the same thing and it's a little annoying. Why can't there just be one trade network for the entire game?

@devs: Lore aside, the AH system now is bad. Like really bad. On Kelian Jarro you can only find at max 2 pages of items for any category, like Implants, Focus, etc. So thats at max 16 items. Most i found were 3 pages of crafting ingredients. So 24. I did a search earlyer today and could only find grade 1 biochem mats. yey.

Give us one AH to rule them all. No one is gonna go through 7-8 loading screens just to get to Nar Shada and post something there when the guys checking the AH on Fleet cant see your wares.

If there are people who dont want to sell to "the other guys" just make a checkbox on the item selling page "mark this if you dont want the other faction to buy your stuff".

Everyone will be happier -> more goods on AH, easier to get the things you need.

I've played Lotro for 4 years, I know that lore is important. But sometimes gameplay>lore.

This multiple AH business is really bad for anyone who enjoys crafting.

The most awesome thing you could do for crafters - after the redesign of the awful AH interface - is to make ONE GTN for the entire game. So all the shards would use the same AH, no matter the server you're playing on. That would be epic.