Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.

The republic troopers is not a special forces! You on drugs or something, there the default trooper. And imperial troopers are no less than republic troopers. And plus as the imperial trooper you'll be trying not to get on the sith warriors bad side, while also trying to help the empire in battles.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The class system was structured to give mirror gameplay on both sides with as many unique storylines as possible. If you want to serve the Empire as a non Sith, you can be an Agent. If you want to serve the Republic as a non-Jedi, you can be a Trooper. If you want to be a freelancer type character, you can be a Bounty Hunter on Empire side and Smuggler on Republic side.

It is not easy to just create an entire storyline. People want to play BH and it just happens to be a class that could mirror the Trooper well. The storyline of a BH is totally different than that of a Trooper. Having an Imperial Trooper would require tons of different heavy aim gear to drop and having the BH be on both sides would inhibit their ability to actually look like a bounty hunter instead of taking the troopers' gear.

In short: the developers are not gods that can create as many storylines as you want. The trooper and bounty hunter are both heavy armor wearing explosive shooters with completely different storylines.

This is not at all how it works. Besides, special forces or not they still have no authority. They have more flexibility, but that does not equate to power. They are still held on a leash just the same as every other trooper in the republic.

Also, do you honestly believe the Empire doesn't have special forces? Their agents are analogs of republic SIS agents, not special forces troopers. The Empire has said in numerous quests that they as well have special forces. And agent isn't a rank in the military, it's part of Intelligence. It's the CIA of the Empire, entirely independent of the Military.

Bottom line, there is no reason why the Empire couldn't have a trooper. Woulda been far better then bounty hunters playing the mirror of a soldier.

Thank you, well said.

This is true, but this is also a GOOD thing. Just because you mirror a class doesn't mean you mirror their story. So while there could be an imperial trooper class, it'd have it's own unique story. And it could involve the different dynamics between soldiers and their superiors in the Empire. Showcase how sith run everything and even a lowly acolyte is a 'Lord' to you.

I agree there is potential there but the question is could you write it in a satisfying way that would not be too cliche (wins the respect of the sith yada yada) or down right depressing aka 50 levels mimicking what you see in the tomb of Ajunta Pall :p

While more or less true the gap between Sith and Imperial trooper is far greater then Jedi and Imperial trooper.

Hell a slave acolyte is higher in the pecking order then an imperial trooper.

Imperial troopers are complete cannon fodder where as the Republic troopers are more a kin to roman soldiers. That is they are low but have potential to become respected, Imperial troopers never have that opportunity.

That is what I get from it anyway.

Imperial troopers only don't have that opportunity because the sith are jerks. Not because they are terrible soldiers. I'm sure they are just as good as a republic trooper.

Because Boba Fett is awesome, and Storm Trooper (uncredited) isn't.

Tell that to everyone who loves stormtroopers. Y'know, going back to my SWG love, one thing they did RIGHT is realize that people don't WANT to be the hero. Developers seem to have this notion that people want to be Boba Fett or Han Solo, but this just isn't true mos of the time. A lot of SW fans would much rather be Dash Rendar or Greedo. A lot of fans just want to be someone average, making their way through the universe.

Not everything has to be about "oh my god you're so special", actually that's one thing that bugs me about most every storyline. You're either some super elite trooper who is perfect at everything war-related, or you're some prodigy force user who's the strongest they've seen in millenia. It gets tiresome always being this amazing grandios hero. Sometimes I just wanna be Generic Trooper number 53 standing over there guarding the door as the Jedi does his stuff.

But I digress, that's going a bit off topic.

You're again overestimating the importance of soldiers in the Empire. They have zero authority of any kind. Republic troopers at least have some, particularly the special forces.

It is you who is underestimating the importance of the Imperial troops. My pureblood Sith inquisitor got ordered by Grand Moff Kilran to use a transport to attack a republic cruiser, under threat of being blown out of the sky by the Imperial fleet.

Yeah, your average grunt wouldn't be saying that, but I'd like to see any Republic soldier say that to a Jedi Knight.

Edited by PJEBarlow

You're again overestimating the importance of soldiers in the Empire. They have zero authority of any kind. Republic troopers at least have some, particularly the special forces.

And yes the Agent isn't military, but the game flat out mentions that an Imperial Agent is the pinnacle of power any non-Sith can ever hope to achieve in the Empire. Although I think even a slave acolyte has more authority and power then an Agent.

That's what we are looking for, remember the dwarf common in Dragon age orgins. At the start of the story you didn't have any authority at all and were treated like garbage. You have your own unique story. And your trying not to get on your superiors bad side while at the same time trying to find a way to prove your worth to the empire.

Even if you fail.

Edited by alienstalker

I think he's thinking of storm troopers. Yes there were proper storm troopers dressed in white plastic icecream boxes in the films working for the empire. It does seem a bit odd that there are troopers working for the republic because if memory serves me I never saw any republic troppers in the films, or I just haven't watched star wars enough and need to refresh my memory.

I'm not talking about stormtroopers.

I agree there is potential there but the question is could you write it in a satisfying way that would not be too cliche (wins the respect of the sith yada yada) or down right depressing aka 50 levels mimicking what you see in the tomb of Ajunta Pall :p

This is what they hire all those writers for (Y). But even I can come up with some vague outlines as I've already done. You can make a story out of anything and it can be as compelling or cliche as your ability allows. Considering how cliche and predictable the current stories are, I'm sure they'd manage with an Imperial trooper. Course with an Imp trooper they'd have to FINALLY ditch that whole hero ******** I ranted about and actually write a story about generic soldier number 53 instead of some super amazing specforces ****** who can win the war by himself.

I'll give perspective from the point of view of the Sith Warrior quest line.

I have two Imperial members as companions. Captain Malavai Quinn and Lieutenant Pierce. Pierce is a member of a special forces, the Imperial mirror to squads like Havoc squad (A special forces Republic unit the Republic trooper is apart of).

And he isn't really respected unless you pick the choices to respect him as your character.

The most respected members of the Imperial army are the Moffs, who are more militaristic governors. Of course it's highly unusual for a Moff to actually engage in combat but instead stay back and allow their forces to do the work.

And their forces are normally considered cannon fodder except for the 'deadlier weapons' such as Sith and powerful Bounty Hunters.

Also, while the Bounty Hunter starts out freelance, they do become a Mandalorian. Mandalorians are allied directly to the Empire.

The class system was structured to give mirror gameplay on both sides with as many unique storylines as possible. If you want to serve the Empire as a non Sith, you can be an Agent. If you want to serve the Republic as a non-Jedi, you can be a Trooper. If you want to be a freelancer type character, you can be a Bounty Hunter on Empire side and Smuggler on Republic side.

It is not easy to just create an entire storyline. People want to play BH and it just happens to be a class that could mirror the Trooper well. The storyline of a BH is totally different than that of a Trooper. Having an Imperial Trooper would require tons of different heavy aim gear to drop and having the BH be on both sides would inhibit their ability to actually look like a bounty hunter instead of taking the troopers' gear.

In short: the developers are not gods that can create as many storylines as you want. The trooper and bounty hunter are both heavy armor wearing explosive shooters with completely different storylines.

They don't have to be heavy armor soldiers. They can be light armor, medium armor, or heavy armor.

Imperial troopers only don't have that opportunity because the sith are jerks. Not because they are terrible soldiers. I'm sure they are just as good as a republic trooper.

The fodder vs roman soldiers was not intended as a judgement of quality just potential worth.

Because a bounty hunter is like the smuggler not the trooper.

Wrong. Play Smuggler, then play agent. They are very similar. Now play trooper and then play BH. Smuggler is nothing like BH in terms of gameplay. Even in lore since smugglers, you know smuggle goods and such, only killing if they need to. BH kill for profit.

Edited by kraidy

Tell that to everyone who loves stormtroopers. Y'know, going back to my SWG love, one thing they did RIGHT is realize that people don't WANT to be the hero. Developers seem to have this notion that people want to be Boba Fett or Han Solo, but this just isn't true mos of the time. A lot of SW fans would much rather be Dash Rendar or Greedo. A lot of fans just want to be someone average, making their way through the universe.

Not everything has to be about "oh my god you're so special", actually that's one thing that bugs me about most every storyline. You're either some super elite trooper who is perfect at everything war-related, or you're some prodigy force user who's the strongest they've seen in millenia. It gets tiresome always being this amazing grandios hero. Sometimes I just wanna be Generic Trooper number 53 standing over there guarding the door as the Jedi does his stuff.

But I digress, that's going a bit off topic.

I totally agree with you. I'm the special hero so often, that now I want to see what its like being a generic trooper.

They're trying the best they can with the few resources they have to hand. In the films I only recall there being jedi, sith, bounty hunters, imperial agents, storm troopers, republic military, and smugglers. Lucasarts/Bioware/EA have had to come up with a way to balance them as a playable class without having one side having a greater advantage than the other, so some have stepped up a notch like bounty hunters into something more military than just a mercenary searching the galaxy for his next paycheck, and for some reason in the game there are only republic troopers and no imperial storm troopers... Edited by MJHoyle

I'll say it again, but to the naysayers who are all "there's no story because you're no one", who cares? Maybe I don't WANT to be someone? Maybe I WANT to just be a normal guy with a blaster fighting to defend his empire? We already have a storyline about an amazing war hero who graduated top of his class at the academy and is recognized by the senate for his greatness. It's mirror can be the opposite. A storyline about a very generic soldier who has to deal with demanding superiors who do not respect their subordinates and yet through all this they have to persevere and continue to fight for their empire.

Again, just because the class is mirrored does not mean the storyline should be.

I totally agree with you. I'm the special hero so often, that now I want to see what its like being a generic trooper.

If you want to be the generic trooper than roll on a RP server and RP as a generic trooper.

Fact of the matter is, it isn't -interesting- to play as the faceless masses. I don't play a MMO to be Bob the Soldier who can't hit something three feet in front of him. I want to be Bob the Elite Trooper, Darth Bob, Master Bob, etc.

the reason you cant be an imperial trooper is because they are no one.

as a trooper you play as one of the most elite soldiers in the republic

the empire?

thier most elite squads were A the havoc traitors, and B some imperial commando squad that you kill in chapter 1.

You are not the most elite in the Republic. You are not a spec ops guy who can order padawans around. A republic trooper is just a average soldier following orders.

I'll say it again, but to the naysayers who are all "there's no story because you're no one", who cares? Maybe I don't WANT to be someone? Maybe I WANT to just be a normal guy with a blaster fighting to defend his empire? We already have a storyline about an amazing war hero who graduated top of his class at the academy and is recognized by the senate for his greatness. It's mirror can be the opposite. A storyline about a very generic soldier who has to deal with demanding superiors who do not respect their subordinates and yet through all this they have to persevere and continue to fight for their empire.

Again, just because the class is mirrored does not mean the storyline should be.

So what's your final class quest if you remain a grunt? Hm? Are you going to kill that womp rat? Are you going to get the lucky shot on a Jedi Knight who is butchering your comrades?

This. Agent and Smuggler gameplay is similar but the story is nowhere the same, same with BH and trooper. It would be interesting to play a Empire trooper, maybe in the future Bioware might add it if the demand is high enough.

Not entirely true. The Republic Trooper is special forces. They're several rungs on the ladder higher then rank and file.

The Imperials? The HIGHEST rank a non-Sith can ever achieve is an Agent. Everyone else? Garbage that can be killed because a Sith Lord is in a bad mood and you happened to be around.

I think the highest rank is the Imperial Royal Guard.

Those responsible for guarding the Emperor himself. And the best of those was the Emperor's Shadow Guard.