First PvP match as sniper (level 11). I got utterly decimated by a scoundrel.

Finrok

I go into the match and a level 45 scoundrel is stalking me the entire match within 20 seconds of spawning I am ambushed and killed inside 3 seconds...literally do not know what hit me.

This happened honest to god 10-12 times and I just logged. This guy shadowed and stalked me all match..what is the answer? is there an answer? Or am i a sitting duck?

What in gods name do I do? I got 3-4 secs to respond before i'm dead..and snipers are supposed to own in PvP??? For real???

Edited by Finrok

The first part is this...you are level 11 and he is lvl 45. You barely have sniper abilities, he has nearly all of his skills and has had an extra 34 levels to play with them. Snipers dont gain key abilities till their T3 or T4 skill tree skills.

Its a matter of practice and having a button to click. You were likely targeted and marked from the get go, seeing as you are only level 11. You have two choices: 1. know you have a target on your back till about level 20 or even later, or; 2. Wait to PVP until you have a few more levels and abilities.

Yea - your level difference is the main issue there - although, if he was rage hunting you, he probably wasn't benefiting his team much tbh and probably was just looking for easy kills.

At his level, (assuming he is pure DPS scoundrel) - and this is off the top of my head - he gets 2 stuns, 1 root, 2 backblast attacks (one from stealth), 1 punch/pistol whip that triggers additional punches, not too mention the grenades and DOT he can push out. - all those above skills have a very quick cool down too, and if managed correctly, he can push them out in a continuous cycle.

The biggest difference is level gap, that is all; he is in the prime of his tool availability, you have not receieved any of yours yet.

My Operative is lvl 37 now - i'm still missing 1 major attack, but I can now go toe to toe with lvl 40+ operatives/scounderels as it really just comes down to skill in our encounters - timing of stabs/stuns, use of medpacks, availability and use of additional attacks etc- it is pretty fun actually. I used to think that there was something broken with Operatives vs Scoundrel because there were so many stab attacks - but now i'm realizing the scoundrel has all the same abilities, they are just split up as pistol whips, punches, back blasts - where the operatives are all some type of blade attack - so they all look the same pretty much.

As far as going against a sniper now - if the sniper is in the mid 40's, I don't have a chance (if he knows anything about his abilities). If they are low to mid 30's, I can take them out usually without a problem. The 40 + snipers though suck, I hate going against them.

Once you get Cover Pulse and Leg shot, he won't ever get to kill you again, assuming you're as skilled as he is, so he's getting his shots in now.

Seriously though, see the above post.

Yea that help alot on a invisible target ?

First off all the scondrel gets a hi dps shot even before u know it from behind, the sniper has alredy lost the fight.

Edited by Hippis

Yea that help alot on a invisible target ?

First off all the scondrel gets a hi dps shot even before u know it from behind, the sniper has alredy lost the fight.

So does the Operative. Hell i can hit defib at lvl 31 and i still have about 6 knife attacks to choose from, then i can totally fade away after they are all done.

but lvl 11, i can run around in stealth do about 1 knife attack and a gun attack or two then dead. Sorry wouldn't even THINK about pvping till lvl 25 or 30.

its all about situation awareness at that level you need to know where you are going to be effective and where you are just going to get rubbished

level does matter but not to the point of not being able to pvp

ive been lvl 11 before and still done 200k on a sniper

in prevp if they dont see you 9 times out of 10 you will be the last one to die

its all about attack the guy right infront

Edited by Jumpchan

The first part is this...you are level 11 and he is lvl 45. You barely have sniper abilities, he has nearly all of his skills and has had an extra 34 levels to play with them. Snipers dont gain key abilities till their T3 or T4 skill tree skills.

Its a matter of practice and having a button to click. You were likely targeted and marked from the get go, seeing as you are only level 11. You have two choices: 1. know you have a target on your back till about level 20 or even later, or; 2. Wait to PVP until you have a few more levels and abilities.

What MalignKarma said. I would also like to add that stealthers (operatives and assassins) are a sniper's natural worst enemies, just as a sniper is the bane of any pure melee class.

Don't let this experience dampen your hopes, as you will eventually grow to become one of the deadliest classes on the battlefield.

Not sure what happened to you - my first PvP game at level 11 yesterday I got top damage in the 100k somewhere, and I was facerolling people who got in my way.

Maybe I was playing **** people though. Anyways, ambush, snipe and explosive probe are your best friends at low levels. They do huge damage (average ambush is 2k + explosive probe of 1.5k).

As a sniper, you are the easiest target for the DPS-Scoundrel/ OP. Your only defense when you know one is after you is entrench, and you don't get it till much later. Even at level 50, the good ones will still own you, however they are very few that still play at 50 because they really only have 1 rock to their paper(YOU). Every other class is scissors to them.

• 2 months later...
So does the Operative. Hell i can hit defib at lvl 31 and i still have about 6 knife attacks to choose from, then i can totally fade away after they are all done.

but lvl 11, i can run around in stealth do about 1 knife attack and a gun attack or two then dead. Sorry wouldn't even THINK about pvping till lvl 25 or 30.

Lvl 22 you gain some key abilities on the scoundrel and can start pvping.

With my sniper I never had a problem in pvp, on lvl 17 I did 4k crits and that was by far enough.

If you have a stealther on you as a sniper, you are as good as dead, even worse are tank-sin's.

But someone has to be able to counter the giant dmg the sniper does.

best you can do if you insist to pvp is to try to survive till you get some more levels. Play objectives since you are not likely to go 1v1 with someone and come out alive. Try and cap doors, nodes... generally the enemy won't pay too much attention to these in lowbie pvp. In huttball go ahead to the enemy line and make your team aware you are there waiting for a pass. Things like this. Even though all of the above is much easier with a stealth class, you can still try to contribute. Also, as a class with ranged abilities, just camp somewhere and hope that you won't get much attention. If you managed to go unnoticed, you still can do some nice damage until you get focused.

i forget exactly when you get your "melee" range stun and flashbang stun coupled with your "remove stun" ability but if you are lacking any of these or use them incorrectly against a scoundrel/operative who has gotten the jump on you then it can only result in scores of trips to the respawn

i remember on one of my early snipers the same exact scenario in huttball - an operative was on the hunt for me the entire match and killed me probably twenty times

if you are new to sniper then try to hunt in packs

follow teammates and help focus fire down targets

solo operations while still learning this class will undoubtedly attract the hungry appetites of the bloodthirsty

fwiw

on my first sniper i did not really feel "comfortable" until the 30's

however, on my re-roll alt snipers (because really, who can have enough snipers leveling through pvp?) with all purples my 11-19 snipers wreck havok- especially on unsuspecting derps who think they will faceroll

Edited by Daxy

3 shotting level 10's is probably the best part of sub 50 pvp. When I dinged 50 in a warzone on my sniper, I was lucky enough to have 2 opponents under 15 there. I put on some WH mods into my gear before the start (BoL from an alt), and I was able to walk around 2 shotting people.

Basically, killing low levels is fun, so expect to be hunted down by twinked opponents if you are a low level.

Snipers/slingers are easy prey for concealment operatives, when you are in stealth. They are kind of the counter class to snipers, just stick it out they are underwhelming in 50 pvp so you will not see many of them.

They are the first class i target other than the healer when i pvp and dont feel like healing on my operative

Edited by dego-harmonium

Snipers/slingers are easy prey for concealment operatives, when you are in stealth. They are kind of the counter class to snipers, just stick it out they are underwhelming in 50 pvp so you will not see many of them.

They are the first class i target other than the healer when i pvp and dont feel like healing on my operative

Yep, a really good operative is going to kill me more times then not. Their ability to keep you stunned for extended periods of time is problematic - to say the least. If I have my CDs all available, I can hold my own but if I'm missing some and he isn't, its not good. They can basically stun you and with some crits get you down to half health before you can even respond once.

• 2 weeks later...
I personally have not seen any issues with low level sniper WZ's. I have 12 wins and even have 8 votes for MVP already. Just try to hang out in the background, make sure that anyone who is coming at you gets leg shot and always try to use Ambush when its up followed by a grenade. I am currently level 17 (been playing WZ's since 11) and typically see players that are not tank spec drop to 50% or lower just off the opening attacks with that combo. Also, if you get stunned while the player is in range use your CC on them (cant remember the name but it makes it look like they are getting shocked). Hutt Ball is the only place I seem to have problems and I am not sure exactly why.