Things about Star Wars that befuddle

wilsonstone

I'm just passing the time since I didn't submit my preorder code until Dec. 2nd. (hey I was in the hospital!) So as much as I'd like to hpe to get in game before Friday, I don't exopect an invite tomorrow unless I'm very very lucky.

Anyway, there are many things about Star Wars that have either irked, bothered or befuddled me. I'm not talking about stupid midichlorians, or Jar Jar or even littlebaby Anakin. (God, I hated that kid)

There are things that you can love but still find fault in them. Like:

In Episode III, when Luke, Han and the gang are in the Death Star you will see a little black box like thing scooting up and down the hallways. At one point Chewie growls at it and makes it scurry off. What the hell is that thing supposed to be? An automated floor scrubber? OFr some reason it has always bugged me that I don't know what it is or what it was for. (a friend suggested maybe it was a courier, but, really? They don't need couriers, they can just digitally send messages, let alone call on the speaker/communicator microphone, etc) Dang it, what is that thing!?

BTW: Why is there a big trash compacter in the Death Star if they can just dump waste into space? Ok, maybe they smash the stuff up and recycle it. So why is there a monster in there? Well, that monster didn't bother meas much as the giant snake monster in The Empire Strikes Back. You know the big square Cube law breaking one that the Millenium Falcom flew inside on the asteroid? How'd it get there? What does it eat? How could it have possibly evolved there? (I have a problem with improbable monsters....as cool as I thought Pitch Black was I had the same problems with those monsters.)

Speaking of droids, bots and all, why is C3PO hampered with pretty much useless arms and legs when they can make bionic hands that look and act real?

AT-ATs: Ok, I can't help but tell you that even as a kid seeing the movie in a theater I thought they were dumbest thing the empire could even consider building. Blasters don't work against them? (They actually say that in the movie) Well, they work when you trip them up with a cable. (which happened...the ineffective blasters were able to completely blow them up when they fall). But why build something that can so easily be tripped up. Especially when they have obvious anti gravity technology. ...and of course they must have mastered the wheel or you know, track vehicles. (real reason was to sell toys...like Ewoks, but I won't get started on that.....)

Ok, I will....Ewoks beat up imperial troops? Look, just like I like Star Trek but hated Voyager, I like Star Wars and I hated Return of the Jedi, mostly because of the damned Ewoks.

Now I'm not totally serious here, but surely there must those irksome, befuddling or just plain what the hell things others might have thought of.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How bout the fact that as Han was lowered in to the pit prior to being frozen in Carbonite his hands were bound together. But when he was brought up, his hands were untied and in front of him as if he were about to get hit by a bus. Lol.

I'm just passing the time since I didn't submit my preorder code until Dec. 2nd. (hey I was in the hospital!) So as much as I'd like to hpe to get in game before Friday, I don't exopect an invite tomorrow unless I'm very very lucky.

Anyway, there are many things about Star Wars that have either irked, bothered or befuddled me. I'm not talking about stupid midichlorians, or Jar Jar or even littlebaby Anakin. (God, I hated that kid)

There are things that you can love but still find fault in them. Like:

In Episode III, when Luke, Han and the gang are in the Death Star you will see a little black box like thing scooting up and down the hallways. At one point Chewie growls at it and makes it scurry off. What the hell is that thing supposed to be? An automated floor scrubber? OFr some reason it has always bugged me that I don't know what it is or what it was for. (a friend suggested maybe it was a courier, but, really? They don't need couriers, they can just digitally send messages, let alone call on the speaker/communicator microphone, etc) Dang it, what is that thing!?

BTW: Why is there a big trash compacter in the Death Star if they can just dump waste into space? Ok, maybe they smash the stuff up and recycle it. So why is there a monster in there? Well, that monster didn't bother meas much as the giant snake monster in The Empire Strikes Back. You know the big square Cube law breaking one that the Millenium Falcom flew inside on the asteroid? How'd it get there? What does it eat? How could it have possibly evolved there? (I have a problem with improbable monsters....as cool as I thought Pitch Black was I had the same problems with those monsters.)

Speaking of droids, bots and all, why is C3PO hampered with pretty much useless arms and legs when they can make bionic hands that look and act real?

AT-ATs: Ok, I can't help but tell you that even as a kid seeing the movie in a theater I thought they were dumbest thing the empire could even consider building. Blasters don't work against them? (They actually say that in the movie) Well, they work when you trip them up with a cable. (which happened...the ineffective blasters were able to completely blow them up when they fall). But why build something that can so easily be tripped up. Especially when they have obvious anti gravity technology. ...and of course they must have mastered the wheel or you know, track vehicles. (real reason was to sell toys...like Ewoks, but I won't get started on that.....)

Ok, I will....Ewoks beat up imperial troops? Look, just like I like Star Trek but hated Voyager, I like Star Wars and I hated Return of the Jedi, mostly because of the damned Ewoks.

Now I'm not totally serious here, but surely there must those irksome, befuddling or just plain what the hell things others might have thought of.

First off that wasnt Episode III, it was IV. Anyways the small black droid is called a Mouse droid. What it was used for is beyond me. Perhaps wookiepedia knows.

Secondly the space slug was scary. Nuff said'

Thirdly CP30 is gold...very gold.

ATAT's are awesome. But you have to look at what ships are attacking it. A snow speeder was pretty much a scout type ship. It wasnt designed to be used in full scale assults. I'll bet if the Rebs wanted to stand and fight till the end the X-Wings would've kicked their asses.

Lastly ewoks are stupid. I'm glad there are none in TOR.

Seriously though just dig around on wookiepedia.org on anything. Usually there is alotta good answer on their.

Cheers!

ATAT's are awesome. But you have to look at what ships are attacking it. A snow speeder was pretty much a scout type ship. It wasnt designed to be used in full scale assults. I'll bet if the Rebs wanted to stand and fight till the end the X-Wings would've kicked their asses.

Lastly ewoks are stupid. I'm glad there are none in TOR.

Seriously though just dig around on wookiepedia.org on anything. Usually there is alotta good answer on their.

Cheers!

can't get behind the ATAT thing. They had a clear and visible design flaw, and the empire obviously has the technology to build an assualt vehicle without friggin' legs. Truth be told, they were made to sell toys of 'em, but that doesn't make them any less silly. I would have loved to see the meeting when they were looking over designs at Empire HQ.

Lead Engineer: This is our newest assault vehicle, Lord Emperor.... It has the latest weapons and it can WALK!

Emperor: It looks rather easy to topple, or trip!

Lead Engineer: No, my lord! Its incapable of being damaged by even the most extreme blaster fire!

Emperor: What if they...you know, use a rope or something to tie its legs and make it fall over?

Lead Engineer: Well, then its armor fails and it will explode if you fart at it...but seriously m'lord what are the chances of the rebels even thinking of that?

Emperor: I'm sold! Start production right away!

As for the mouse droid thing, thanks for the answer. I would have said it could be a Scutter but this was years before Red Dwarf.

Oh, and I know not everything I listed took place in one movie. I was, as I said, mostly joking about. I just didn't feel like listing every movie, though you have a point that I probably should have. Especially since I got III and IV messed up, D'oh!

Peace!

Edited by wilsonstone

Interesting read. "The function of the mouse droid was only limited by it's owner's creativity"

I suppose they would come in handy to fetch beer from the fridge etc..

If that were the case I'd build one.....oh wait...I have a mini fridge right behind my computer desk!

How bout the fact that as Han was lowered in to the pit prior to being frozen in Carbonite his hands were bound together. But when he was brought up, his hands were untied and in front of him as if he were about to get hit by a bus. Lol.

Everyone knows carbonite burns through rope!

More to the point why did Luke look 19 in Ep4 and 47 in Ep5?

Don't care how hard he was partying after getting the gold medal in ya in Olympic!

Irksome, befuddling, or just plain what the hell thing in the Star Wars movies?

Not many just the following:

1: A democratically elected monarch that is a fourteen year old girl in the midst of puberty?

2: When they escape Naboo & run the blockade & only one ship is shooting at them?

3: Gui-Gon, Obi-Wan, & Padme insist on taking Jar Jar Binks around with them everywhere, yet are willing to leave behind more competent & skilled people?

4: Having Padme clean R2-D2?

5: Anakin Skywalker & his mother are slaves on planet run by brutal intergalatic mob bosses who place explosives in slaves. Yet anakin & his mother have a multiple room dwelling?

6: Watoo is described as greedy & cruel, yet Anakin has the parts to assemble a fully working droid?

7: The planet they live on is described as being a place of last resort, where desperate people hideout; yet Anakin assembles a working speeder that sits out in the open for months that isn't stripped for parts or stolen outright?

8: Darth Mauls death scene?

9: Why would anyone listen to some mystery hologram of some random guy you've never met, & launch a fullscale military invasion of a planet because he says so?

10: Who would design a ship that allows you to fly right into the hanger bay, pull up to critical engine parts, hit it with a couple bits of light ordnance, & then the whole ship explodes?

11: Why does an entire fleet of ships leave when the entire situation is still in flux, & the treaty being signed is so important?

12: If the treaty is so important why is Padme sent to away from the palace?

13: Where did all the starships, drop ships, tanks, & various other military hardware they used in Attack of the Clones come from, if they were still debating the creation of a military?

14: Who was bankrolling the creation of an entire army & all their hardware, & yet was still able to hide it from everyone for ten years?

15: How does Yoda leave Coruscant, & mobolize an entire army on Kamino, & then launch a corodinated assault on Geonosis; just minutes after Mace Windu & the other Jedi arrive from Coruscant?

16: How does a strong willed & principled woman who always seeks the peaceful resolution to any situation, dismiss a homocidal rampage with "to be angry, is to be human"?

17: Having that strong willed & principled woman then marry said mass murderer after knowing him for a few weeks, because of lines like "You are in my very soul tormenting me"?

18: & then having that strong willed woman just die, because "she has lost the will to live"; even though she just gave birth to twins who need her, & she believes there is still goood in Anakin?

19: Leia remembers her "real mother", yet Luke doesn't, even though she dies five minutes after giving birth to both of them?

20: Obi-Wan Kenobi doesn't know R2-D2 or C3-PO?

21: Pretty much every line Obi-Wan Kenobi says in A New Hope is retconed thanks to the movies that come after?

(SHRUG) Not to many things all & all. Just most things involving the prequels or the connections between the originals & the prequels.

Edited by HARBINGERXIII

In Episode IV when Luke is cleaning the droids and R2 begins playing Leia's message Luke asks who she is.

C3PO says he basiccally doesn't know, she was a passenger on the ship they were on.

But at the start of the movie he says to RD D2 "there will be no escape for the princess this time."

So he was either lying to Luke or they should have rewrote some lines.

Ok, WHY did they have to fly all the way down that damn trench when they could have launched a guided bomb from directly above the exhaust port on the Death Star and saved quite a few lives instead of flying down that trench and acting as target practice for Vader and his homies?
Perhaps the bomb would've been spotted and destroyed by the Death Star's defenses before it even managed to reach the Death Star itself?

Perhaps the bomb would've been spotted and destroyed by the Death Star's defenses before it even managed to reach the Death Star itself?

Yeah, that one is easy to handwave by your explanation and you'd at least think the empire had some kind of ECM that would make targetting it from a distance difficult to impossible. (targetting the vent that is)

i never understood how padme ended up with anakin after he claimed to slaughter a whole village ..smh then in episode III says yor goin down a path i cant follow...doesnt add up i woulda force choked her too

yeah there is no reason the two of them should be together. Aside from them both being good looking there is never any real chemistry between the two of them.

It's a love story written by a middle school kid.

..In Episode III, when Luke, Han and the gang are in the Death Star you will see a little black box like thing scooting up and down the hallways. At one point Chewie growls at it and makes it scurry off. What the hell is that thing supposed to be? An automated floor scrubber? OFr some reason it has always bugged me that I don't know what it is or what it was for. (a friend suggested maybe it was a courier, but, really? They don't need couriers, they can just digitally send messages, let alone call on the speaker/communicator microphone, etc) Dang it, what is that thing!?...

...Well, that monster didn't bother meas much as the giant snake monster in The Empire Strikes Back. You know the big square Cube law breaking one that the Millenium Falcom flew inside on the asteroid? How'd it get there? What does it eat? How could it have possibly evolved there?...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Exogorth

In Episode IV when Luke is cleaning the droids and R2 begins playing Leia's message Luke asks who she is.

C3PO says he basiccally doesn't know, she was a passenger on the ship they were on.

But at the start of the movie he says to RD D2 "there will be no escape for the princess this time."

So he was either lying to Luke or they should have rewrote some lines.

Or C3P0 knew the princess was on the ship, but didn't know who she was.

The things that irritate me most about the Star Wars series are the various instances that are identical to other instances.

Such as: Off the top of my head, I can think of six people/creatures that get their arm or hand chopped off.

A number of characters are thrown down large pits (some after having their arms cut off)

NOONE EVER STOPS SAYING "I've got a bad feeling about this" OR THE PHRASE "Only hope"

Also, there's no sound in space. I don't care what galaxy you're in, space is space. No sound.