Class Representatives Are Here!

EricMusco

The thing is if devs had taken a quick look at the class forums while the questions were still being discussed, they would have had a general idea of what is going to be asked as far as a month ago (the problems of AC's are so clear most of the time that 2 out of 3 questions is obvious during the course of discussion among players).

Also, like others said if answers were really detailed with mathematical arguments and such it would be acceptable but now it just seems unprofessional

It's now OBVIOUS that the combat team doesn't read the forums at all! I mean they said sometime after 2.0.1 that they would explain bolster.... still waiting on that one, so I can only imagine how long this one will take. :rolleyes:

From this experience of the Class Representatives, I can extrapolate the following:

1) The community team are the only people to read the forums.

2) The class representative initiative was the workings of the community team, doing their job and listening to the community.

3) BW as a whole is more interested in selling sparkle ponies/goods than how their game actually plays.

4) The combat team is out of touch with how the classes actually play.

5) The combat team doesn't give a squat about balancing issues. All of their changes are not well thought out, and they unnecessarily nerf classes that have no business being nerfed in the first place (Merc Pyro for example) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679104

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately I am the bearer of bad news today. It looks like the Combat Team will need some more time to finish your questions, so we will be posting these next week.

I say push 2.4! I'd rather have polished content then not. That will give them plenty of time to awnser the questions this week. This is also an indicator there will be no balances for merc/mando healers for the beginning of arena's.

Let me elaborate further, I would like to see the new gear released next week, give people that dont stack items due to PvE requirements a chance to catch up followed by the arena's themselves the week after, then when they are completely bug-free and non-exploitable release the new operations. This comes from a ranked PvP'er and a Nightmare Raider.

Edited by RakeshZeal

4) The combat team is out of touch with how the classes actually play.

While I agree with ALL of your points, #4 is the most blatantly obvious one imo. So out of touch that they can't take 5 minutes to answer THREE freaking questions without some snarky comment on how difficult a class is to master or crap like that.

Hold on.. puts "SHOCKED EA/BW BLUNDER EXPRESSION EMOTE" on...

Okay.. OMG... I'm so shocked here. :rolleyes:

I agree that if these responses by the team align with the crap the sage/sorc's got I suspect that James Blunt has another video coming soon. Quickly followed by another 900+ post response to how POORLY the Combat Dev's are in touch with actually playing the game.

BOTTOM LINE: You guys PR Wise can't afford another major debacle like that. LOL

Edited by dscount

While I agree with ALL of your points, #4 is the most blatantly obvious one imo. So out of touch that they can't take 5 minutes to answer THREE freaking questions without some snarky comment on how difficult a class is to master or crap like that.

Tuxxy,

The Combat Team is Healing to Full atm. Not sure if they'll make us pay with the next responses, but no matter what happens it'll always be us with the perception problem.

:rak_03:

Tuxxy,

The Combat Team is Healing to Full atm. Not sure if they'll make us pay with the next responses, but no matter what happens it'll always be us with the perception problem.

:rak_03:

The skill level of PR required to answer the Class Questions may be higher than the Combat Team feels comfortable with.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

Good grief people, it's like you're all thinking they just sit around and read forums like we do. I know how it is at other jobs with people working on a team, sometimes you just can't get everyone in the same room at the same time because there is actually important work being done.

The skill level of PR required to answer the Class Questions may be higher than the Combat Team may be comfortable with.

That's because they only know the answer "NO" that's not possible. No we can't separate HM/NIM lockout, No we don't agree with Sage/Sorc community, No Sin/Shadows don't have a squishy problem, No it's a perception issue.

My favorite... NO PROBLEM... LOL

Good grief people, it's like you're all thinking they just sit around and read forums like we do. I know how it is at other jobs with people working on a team, sometimes you just can't get everyone in the same room at the same time because there is actually important work being done.

I would agree to a point. The commitment was made that instead of them combing forums and AD HOC responding the whole REP concept was developed. With the PROMISE that we would get real questions answered in real time based on a schedule. Yes it does take at least a week to formulate a PC related response. I'm sure they are being very word smithy to say no without saying L2P or H2F on them now. PLUS not releasing on Friday is a good plan unless they want to do damage control over the weekend.

Now all that said and done... They pulled the plug on the program and just need to wrap up this last set of questions. Which after reading them again are fairly complex and well written.

Bottom Line: They committed to doing this and should pony up the time it takes. MANY of us have to crap out WAY MORE detailed documents for our day jobs as well in a fraction of the time. Being the SME they should be able to have answers in record breaking time unless they truly have NO CLUE what they are doing. (Unlikely, but it really does look like it from the outside world and perception is what 90% of reality?)

That was my point. Where is this in the priority queue? Obviously it is not a priority. If something is a priority it gets accomplished. I oversee a team, and work alongside other teams. We are all very busy, but when something is a priority, we are there and get it done.

Here is another example. The whole U.S. military shut down for a day to train on Sexual Harassment because it was a priority for the leaders. The WHOLE military in the US stopped work for a day to accomplish a priority task. I am sure it sucked but it was done.

The skill level of PR required to answer the Class Questions may be higher than the Combat Team feels comfortable with.

PR is an “easy to play, hard to master” profession, in that most of their replies are rather straight-forward and easily understood, but saying as little as possible with the most words possible, may require a higher skill level than many PR folk are comfortable with.

How do you draw this conclusion when they've had 3 weeks to answer THREE questions? And come on...Austin Peckingham was the only one doing "class balance" pre-2.0, he alone is this massive "combat team" you wrongly assume they're trying hard to assemble in one room.

Hold on TUX.. just cause the PR (Community) folks post the spew coming from the DEV's doesn't mean they are to blame for it's content. No matter how chunky that barf might be, they are just the messengers. :D

Just don't let Austin scribble the responses on a napkin at the local pub after 9pm anymore and shouldn't see anymore PR issues like L2P or H2F. LOL :rolleyes:

Edited by dscount

How do you draw this conclusion when they've had 3 weeks to answer THREE questions? And come on...Austin Peckingham was the only one doing "class balance" pre-2.0, he alone is this massive "combat team" you wrongly assume they're trying hard to assemble in one room.

The answer we really don't know. They said they're committed to doing this and they've been mostly pretty good so far. A pessimistic person can assume they're just shrugging it off or just screwing around but there's a good chance that there is actually a good reason why it couldn't get done. Also, just because Austin is the one guy communicating on the forum does not mean he's the only guy working on it.

As someone else said, they probably have a list of priorities on how they need to spend their time at work, and the last thing they want to do is come up with the next "heal to full" meme (or maybe they do, that was pretty funny for a while).

I guess I'll have to tell the angry mob that I riled up for the Mercenary answers to put down their pitchforks until Monday. Shame.

I'd be willing to ignore the delay in answering the questions if 2.5 actually makes meaningful changes. But I'm done holding my breath. My doctors tell me its a bad idea, and I trust their judgement.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

The questions were submitted to the combat team on 9/16, so they've had the questions for about a week and a half. Not saying delaying the answers further is a good thing, it reveals that answering class questions is a very low priority for them. But we don't do ourselves any favors by grossly exaggerating the timeline.

Hey everyone,

Unfortunately I am the bearer of bad news today. It looks like the Combat Team will need some more time to finish your questions, so we will be posting these next week. While it may seem like a quick and easy thing to answer these questions, the team wants to make sure you receive thorough answers, which does take time. I understand this is not ideal, but we appreciate your patience and apologize for the delay!

Please tell me that they are not too busy playing WoW to find time to answer them. Actually, go ahead and tell me that. At least then I could understand the delay.

The answer we really don't know. They said they're committed to doing this and they've been mostly pretty good so far. A pessimistic person can assume they're just shrugging it off or just screwing around but there's a good chance that there is actually a good reason why it couldn't get done. Also, just because Austin is the one guy communicating on the forum does not mean he's the only guy working on it.

As someone else said, they probably have a list of priorities on how they need to spend their time at work, and the last thing they want to do is come up with the next "heal to full" meme (or maybe they do, that was pretty funny for a while).

Austin had stated pre-2.0 that he is the ONLY one working on class balance. Not that he was the only one posting...the only one working on it.

And yeah, they said they were committed, obviously they aren't. I'm not "pessimistic" because I feel that way - the continual putting this off is proof for me that only someone foolishly optimistic would actually think they actually are. They've proven they aren't. What would it truly take to answer THREE questions? 10 min per question? 30 min per? It's going to be 3-weeks between submitting them and getting the replies...that's not "committed"...not even close.

Do you want it right or rushed? Geez people, you think you would have learned when SWTOR launched too quickly and needed major patches to bring it up to speed. Give them a break, let them do their job.

By the way, the PvP team initiated the Class Rep system. So they actually do care, and it wasn't just Eric, Courtney, and Amber brainstorming and saying "hey, we should get the PvP team to answer questions!" The PvP team wanted to do this. Let them do it right. I don't want the same quality of answers from the sage/vanguard incident, so I would like them to be more cautious and take their time.

Do you want it right or rushed? Geez people, you think you would have learned when SWTOR launched too quickly and needed major patches to bring it up to speed. Give them a break, let them do their job.

By the way, the PvP team initiated the Class Rep system. So they actually do care, and it wasn't just Eric, Courtney, and Amber brainstorming and saying "hey, we should get the PvP team to answer questions!" The PvP team wanted to do this. Let them do it right. I don't want the same quality of answers from the sage/vanguard incident, so I would like them to be more cautious and take their time.

If they did actually care, PvP wouldn't be launching with a new PvP system that'll only be full of lolSmashers and Scouperative trolololols.

:rolleyes:

Austin had stated pre-2.0 that he is the ONLY one working on class balance. Not that he was the only one posting...the only one working on it.

Can you locate the link to this statement? I can't seem to find it. His position is "lead combat designer" which leads me to believe he's leading, but we could always be mislead. :cool:

They are answering THREE questions, not splitting atoms. I want answers in a timely manner.

Well, maybe they hired Buckaroo Bonzai, and he is splitting an atom, while driving a race car playing guitar for a rock band. We will never know, according to Schroedinger, if we actually observe them answering the question it will change the eventuality of the question to a state such that it cannot be answered.

Hi guys

Sorry for the inconvenience and we applaud your patience but we have the answers to your questions.

After much debate from our combat team we have decided to simply remove shadows and commandoes from the game. We know it is probably not the answer you were all looking forward to hear but this is the best course of action we feel we can take as a development team.

Again, thanks for your patience and we look forward to hearing your feedback and continued support of our game.