Appearance Customization for Weapons

DewyMossEmpire

Some of the best looking & coolest looking weapons in the game, in my opinion, are often Green quality. They're unique, sometimes even named, & they offer a large variety of looks & colors that you simply can't find with moddable weapons.

Especially with some of the craftable weapons that are unmoddable, they might look great but you really can't use them unless you just want to grind Heroics or something of the sort.

It would be nice to be able to add a weapon as a skin for a fee, similar to the appearance customizations.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Earlier in the year they said they were looking into this and hope to be able to add it, possibly before the year is out. Cross your fingers!

i can see this going one way and not the way you are probably hoping for.

bioware releases the changes, only to find out all the weapons in the game are gone, including their vendors and those from the markets with a suitable refund to the players. meanwhile you are stuck with a basic fully moddable weapon or weapons that can't be removed except to the mod station to augmentation, after which it goes back to the main and or second hand.

you have an immediate unlock of basic customized light sabers and new packs: lightsaber appearance packs.

the previous weapons and rarities will remain but instead of the weapon itself you get the ability to buy these customizations from the CC, GC and later the GTN. a new market for bioware to create and the players to exploit asap.

Edited by Celise

i can see this going one way and not the way you are probably hoping for.

bioware releases the changes, only to find out all the weapons in the game are gone, including their vendors and those from the markets with a suitable refund to the players. meanwhile you are stuck with a basic fully moddable weapon or weapons that can't be removed except to the mod station to augmentation, after which it goes back to the main and or second hand.

you have an immediate unlock of basic customized light sabers and new packs: lightsaber appearance packs.

the previous weapons and rarities will remain but instead of the weapon itself you get the ability to buy these customizations from the CC, GC and later the GTN. a new market for bioware to create and the players to exploit asap.

That would be pretty shi**y.

I hope they just model it directly after the appearance customizer, so you can just drop in a weapon type in a custom slot to take on the dropped weapon's appearance, & overwrite the appearance of the weapon you're using. Exactly the same as how armor works.

I dont think adding a weapon slot to the outfit designer would be too difficult. So I absolutely support the idea. Also because then you could use the often good looking cm weapons for your outfit but a worse looking legacy weapon for the stats.

We wouldnt have any problems with cm crystals, tunings and legacy weapon as well.

The weapon slot of your companions works like that already. The weapon they carry is purely cosmetic.

Edited by Bobby_McDonald

That would be pretty shi**y.

I hope they just model it directly after the appearance customizer, so you can just drop in a weapon type in a custom slot to take on the dropped weapon's appearance, & overwrite the appearance of the weapon you're using. Exactly the same as how armor works.

They will find a way to market the change on the CM there is no doubt...

I dont think adding a weapon slot to the outfit designer would be too difficult. So I absolutely support the idea. Also because then you could use the often good looking cm weapons for your outfit but a worse looking legacy weapon for the stats.

We wouldnt have any problems with cm crystals, tunings and legacy weapon as well.

The weapon slot of your companions works like that already. The weapon they carry is purely cosmetic.

It's more difficult then just adding appearance slots for armor. For one thing.. you have to account for sounds, tunings, color crystal, and any how any current effects on a weapons (some come with lasers markers by default for example) in any such scheme. And then they have to establish how much and how far a player can go with the use of a weapon slot + a weapon appearance slot. Are they going to allow players to equip one class of weapon, but display a totally different one? Or will they lock it down to class specific weapons in both an active and an appearance slot? It matters.. and I'm sure it takes some effort to A) develop a scheme with clear use boundaries and B) do so in a manner that cannot be easily exploited by players.

I am not in any way saying it's not doable.. only that it is clearly more complicated then what is required for armor slots.

Edited by Andryah

It's more difficult then just adding appearance slots for armor. For one thing.. you have to account for sounds, tunings, color crystal, and any how any current effects on a weapons (some come with lasers markers by default for example) in any such scheme. And then they have to establish how much and how far a player can go with the use of a weapon slot + a weapon appearance slot. Are they going to allow players to equip one class of weapon, but display a totally different one? Or will they lock it down to class specific weapons in both an active and an appearance slot? It matters.. and I'm sure it takes some effort to A) develop a scheme with clear use boundaries and B) do so in a manner that cannot be easily exploited by players.

I am not in any way saying it's not doable.. only that it is clearly more complicated then what is required for armor slots.

It works for the companion weapon slots. The weapon you equip him with is shown. Including effects, tuning, crystal and sound. But the stats come from somewhere else. It is purely cosmetic.

Same goes for armor slots in the outfit designer. They have effects as well. We have armor with laserpointers, interfaces, lightning etc. Those effect are shown that the armor in your outfit designer have. Including their dye. What you equip for your stats has no effect on your outfit and only determines the stats and setbonus.

Also the requirements for the armor count for the outfit designer as well as the current items you wear for the stats. For example you cannot outfit a lvl 70 item before reaching lvl 70. Would be the same with weapons that you cannot outfit anything you cant equip for stats.

I dont think its too difficult to seperate stats from what you wear as a weapon in the outfit designer. They proved the can do it with armor and with the companion weapon slots.

Some of the best looking & coolest looking weapons in the game, in my opinion, are often Green quality. They're unique, sometimes even named, & they offer a large variety of looks & colors that you simply can't find with moddable weapons.

Especially with some of the craftable weapons that are unmoddable, they might look great but you really can't use them unless you just want to grind Heroics or something of the sort.

It would be nice to be able to add a weapon as a skin for a fee, similar to the appearance customizations.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I wholeheartedly support this! It'd be especially useful after you've crafted your "uber Arkan killer" weapon... all of which I hate the look of.

My suspicion is that introducing such a thing would be complicated by another thing: most-but-not-all classes can choose different weapons. (As far as I know, the exceptions are the pistol classes and the Operative and Vanguard.) Singlesabre classes can choose sabre or vibrosword. Dualsabre classes can choose singlesabre, vibrosword, dualsabre, sabrestaff, or electrostaff. Commandos can choose HBG or blaster rifle. Snipers can choose sniper rifle or blaster rifle.

So do they allow mixed weapon types? What does the Infiltration Shadow's Disk Of Death(1) look like if you are using a singlesabre for looks? What do those Gunnery Commando attacks look like that require an HBG, if the Commando is using a blaster rifle? Yes, of course, it's solvable, but it's more than just adding an appearance slot.

So maybe they don't let you mix weapon types, aside from vibroblade <=> singlesabre and electrostaff <=> dualsabre <=> sabrestaff. That could work, but what happens if you change weapon type? What if you start wielding a singlesabre with a dualsabre in the active visual slot?

No, we don't need to solve these problems, but we do need to be aware of them, and we do need to consider the possible consequences. (One way to avoid those issues is to bar players from using "off-spec" weapons: no blaster rifles for Commandos and Snipers, no singlesabres or vibroswords for Assassins and Shadows, and so on.)

My suspicion is that introducing such a thing would be complicated by another thing: most-but-not-all classes can choose different weapons. (As far as I know, the exceptions are the pistol classes and the Operative and Vanguard.) Singlesabre classes can choose sabre or vibrosword. Dualsabre classes can choose singlesabre, vibrosword, dualsabre, sabrestaff, or electrostaff. Commandos can choose HBG or blaster rifle. Snipers can choose sniper rifle or blaster rifle.

So do they allow mixed weapon types? What does the Infiltration Shadow's Disk Of Death(1) look like if you are using a singlesabre for looks? What do those Gunnery Commando attacks look like that require an HBG, if the Commando is using a blaster rifle? Yes, of course, it's solvable, but it's more than just adding an appearance slot.

So maybe they don't let you mix weapon types, aside from vibroblade <=> singlesabre and electrostaff <=> dualsabre <=> sabrestaff. That could work, but what happens if you change weapon type? What if you start wielding a singlesabre with a dualsabre in the active visual slot?

No, we don't need to solve these problems, but we do need to be aware of them, and we do need to consider the possible consequences. (One way to avoid those issues is to bar players from using "off-spec" weapons: no blaster rifles for Commandos and Snipers, no singlesabres or vibroswords for Assassins and Shadows, and so on.)

You are right I did not think about that. The only solution I see is the one you described: remove the passive that allow classes to equip weapon they cannot really use for fighting with their normal rotation.

These passives are historical things anyway back from the time where you would choose your advanced class later in the game.

Nowadays you start as a commando from level 1. There is no way you can ever become a vanguard so you dont need the passive that allows you to equip rifles anymore. So I think its time to remove those passives.