Server Consolidation

CourtneyWoods

Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer we launched the Free Character Transfer Program which offered players the option to transfer their characters from specific origin servers to selected destination servers. Following the success of the Free Character Transfer Program, and after closely monitoring server populations, we have now taken the next step in our on-going server population balancing process. We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players. As of tomorrow, all characters on origin servers will be automatically moved onto the upgraded high population destination servers. By centralizing our player populations on these higher population destination servers, we feel that we can offer our players the best possible Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience.

Read More

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this only forcing the Free transfer options to happen or are the server break downs going to be different than those options? I.e. If I had a character on Krayt Dragon is it now going to be on Shadwolands? Or are the servers getting further consolidated?

Edit: I also assume this means that F2P is coming soon?

Edited by Fettered

I wonder when we'll hear what current destination servers are going to be consolidated and when.

Is this only forcing the Free transfer options to happen or are the server break downs going to be different than those options? I.e. If I had a character on Krayt Dragon is it now going to be on Shadwolands? Or are the servers getting further consolidated?

This set of transfers is massive consolidation, according to http://www.swtor.com/transfer#servers-list :(

Edited by Telanis

so from reading this is it to be assumed that some of my toons will be on X server and other toons will be on Y server???

I could see that happening if the toons on one server g to "Y" and the toons on the other sever go to "Z" instead of "Y".

Some might get lucky and have 16 toons on one sever, while others might get split up depending on how the origin / destination servers are paired.

Are we getting our bonus character slots with this *up to 12*? I left some characters on my origin Server, Shadowhand, because I wanted certain character classes on ShadowLands, however I do want all my characters on Shadowlands but 8 slots prevented this, will my 50 on Shadowhand be moved to Shadowlands even though I have all 8 slots filled? If not will I have the option to move her for free when slots become available?

Sooooo, at roughly the 6 month point when most mmo's are adding killer new content, you guys are just finally fixing the server issue that you've been sitting on since february... WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is why I left. You have been so long in addressing your customers issues that I just left along with scores of others. With GW2 out and fixing problems as they come up and already working on new content and TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS... you guys are not gonna last without an attitude change toward your customers.

Based on what they put out today (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120917) it sounds like this will only impact people who remained on the old origin servers. Whatever server you had the option to transfer to willingly back when this process started seems to be the server you will be going to tomorrow night. For instance I was on Shii Cho and transferred to Jedi Covenant...so if you are still on Shii Cho...WELCOME TO JEDI COVENANT!

Disagree? Guess we'll see in a few hours.

Sooooo, at roughly the 6 month point when most mmo's are adding killer new content, you guys are just finally fixing the server issue that you've been sitting on since february... WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is why I left. You have been so long in addressing your customers issues that I just left along with scores of others. With GW2 out and fixing problems as they come up and already working on new content and TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS... you guys are not gonna last without an attitude change toward your customers.

I think you're lying cause you're still here and still very emotional about it all.

Glad you have stuck around.

Are we getting our bonus character slots with this *up to 12*? I left some characters on my origin Server, Shadowhand, because I wanted certain character classes on ShadowLands, however I do want all my characters on Shadowlands but 8 slots prevented this, will my 50 on Shadowhand be moved to Shadowlands even though I have all 8 slots filled? If not will I have the option to move her for free when slots become available?

If I understoond it right.

Any toons you left on origin servers will be merged into the destination server. Even if you have 8 toons on a destination server and bring 8 more over. you will now have 16 toons on one server. Problem being, you cannot create anymore toons till your number goes back down to under 12 as 12 is the technical max but it seems cause people are forced to merge. You get additional slots for all your toons.

The only real drawback is if you have toons on a server combination that do not all go to the same destination server. They you will have a split family of toons.

Edited by Quraswren

Sincere question: If you left, how do you still have access to the forums?

Edited by MrGrizzly

Wait, are they forcing all the characters off the origin servers from the first transfers? Or are they taking the dozen or so servers now and consolidating them further?

Based on the post they put out:

"We have upgraded destination servers in order to support a significantly higher number of players. As of tomorrow, all characters on origin servers will be automatically moved onto the upgraded high population destination servers."

It sounds like it's the SAME destination servers most of us moved to earlier. Just optimized them to take on the additional folks they are moving tomorrow morning.