Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

COPY AND PASTE!

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

WAKE UP people have planned their lives around this. BIOWARE spent millions of dollars trying to get our attention and don't deliver and all you can say is go some where else.

Wake up

Yup go somewhere else. Not BW's fault you take off work for a GAME. You avoid your family...for a GAME...You instead come on here acting like you are entitled. You people are pathetic! Grow up. If you took a day off work for a pre-launch that you weren't sure you would be getting in on, then that's your own fault and NOT that of BW. GROW UP!!!! If you have a job you are old enough to understand this point and GROW UP!!! Get the point yet? It's sad and pathetic that the CE elitists think because they paid more, no matter WHEN they pre-ordered that this ALSO entitles them to more than the cosmetic stuff they got because they feel a need to justify their stupidity in buying something for 150 bucks USD that they could have gotten for the 60 bucks USD that would grant them the same day access based upon when they entered in their preorder code! Again...GROW UP NOOBS!!!!!!!!!! Pathetic, ungrateful, sad basement dwellers get a life!

The greatest thing is nerdraging and spending 30 mins typing a wall of text only to realize, after you post, this thread is going so fast no one will ever read it.

This is sooooo true.. lol...

I came home today thinking I may get the email that I may play. But I also read the email that I reacieve the other day knowing that I may have to wait.

Play upto 5 days early. Key word. So tomarrow when I get home from work I will check my email again.

But if I don't get one at all? And the 20th. comes and goes? Then I will be pissed. lol...

Everyone just sit back and think about what your going to do first in the game when you can get in.

Take care all.

See you all in the game.

KiLLrAzOR

I do not mind the wave system it is fine, I just do not understand why they would stop the rolling of waves, is there a problem of some kind ??

It has to be a good reason as to why they are stopping the waves maybe some kind of extreme emergency, server farms on fire what is going on ???

If nothing extreme is happening then just keep on rolling and do not stop until you have all the pre orders keyed up.

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One.

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together.

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long.

Edited by DavidBass

Originally Posted by kinegos

this isn't a troll, and isn't exactly qq although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that i've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other mmo games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, i just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, ea/bw - what exactly are you afraid of?

The only way this should have been done is to have given all pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. Ce customers get 7 days, se get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an mmo franchise.

At any rate, i love this game. I love bw. But i truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

SERIOUSLY! FAKE OR NOT, it leaves one asking, if the GDs didn't launch us users into the server in waves, we would all be in another thread called "WAITING TOO LONG IN QUEUE" and crying about how yours is over 24hrs of waiting time in line. If you had access to the weekend beta you would know this.

I will be waiting along with all of us like the rest of us.

LOL the 99% reference was funny, there must be a parody somewhere lol

Sure, the plan was to avoid massive customer outrage by making sure no one encountered laggy starting areas and queues.

That (clearly) hasn't worked.

Ergo, reverse course! Let Us In!

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

this last bit is by me, dont copy this. (I hope a designer reads this, so they see how much of a fail the first day was.)

I hate to break it to all of you but this is how every MMO will release after this.

BUT WHY?

2 Reasons

1.) Cause it works better than having the severs down cause they just blew up for the 10th time...

2.) In a few days when all the whiners are playing they will realize "Damn that was a smooth Launch" so much better than the severs being down for the 10th time...

Originally Posted by nightrogen

EGA drinking game:

1 shot of hard liquor:

- When someone begs bw/ea to let them in

- Someone complains that BW/EA is a horrible company

2 shots:

- someone writes a pointless letter to said corporation

- someone posts a futile hope that there may be more waves today

3 shots:

- someone cancels preorder

5 shots: someone ends existence over this

You will be drunk in secconds i dont think you would have enough liquor ... lol

I tried this drinking game, then I took an arrow in the liver.

If any message gets read it should be this one, to which they should reply.

What is truely wonderful is, I pre-ordered back in Sept and got my early access key. I did nothing withit until thanksgiving cause i didn't know you had to put in your access key 5 months before launch to get it... I assumed and I really must be an *** for doing so that it would be like other launchs and enter your key and go.......

I guess instead of having server queues right now you're just having "early access queues" so instead of minutes to an hour of wait time you will now have days......

why pre Order for Early Game Access, When you only get a few days if that. I Pre-order in Aug and got a email like everyone that to day was the Early Game Access Day and then come to find out their is waves! well that's not cool but all we can do is wait. Thanks For the

semi truths to get people to pre-order.

METALNIGHT.:mad: