Hatred / Serenity Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Hatred and Serenity Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

Some survival tactical abilities for Serenity:

- Deflection does not give chance do deflect attack but instead it gives 50% dmg reduction (or absorb) for 8 sec, CD 1.5 Min.

- Combat stealth blinds nearby targets for 5 sec.

- Force in balance does not do aoe dmg instead heals you for full dmg done.

- Battle Readiness - now heals instantly for full instead 15 secd duration but does not grant force technique.

- Force speed does not give you 60% absorb instead heals you for 50% all incoming dmg.

Edited by Werronious

Accidentally put this in my deception post, so fixing it's location.

Hatred

-Whenever you are healed by leeching strike over max health, convert the extra health into a barrier equal to that amount, slight defensive especially since they are the squishiest of the 3 disciplines.

-Creeping terror now has an infinite duration but deals reduced damage (can be cleansed resisted etc), sort of WoW inspired as it would mean more uses of thrash/saber strike instead of normal terror applications

-The initial hit of eradicate forces your dots to tick on a separate rate limit, just to add a bit of pressure damage, especially in sub 30.

-For every target beyond the first hit by death field apply an additional stack of deathmark. after the initial opener you normally get around 23 ticks from your 2 dots and eradicate, boosting dot damage a bit more as stacks could now go up to 22 hitting 8 targets to increase boss damage.

Anything that brings back Force Lightning to the Sith Assassin and Telekinetic Throw to the Jedi Shadow will be hugely appreciated. Those two abilities are iconic for the Sith Inquisitor class and when they were taken away from the Assassins and Shadows was the moment those two Advanced Classes lost all appeal to me. So if the Tactical item could bring back Force Lightning and Telekinetic Throw as a useful dps ability to these two Advanced Classes that would be absolutely great!

I'll repost my old message thread here, hoping that someone from the dev team will read it.

In pre 3.0 era in this game, Hatred assassins were really fun to play and it was a spec that could survive long enough to actually do some nice damage in warzones without dying in seconds.

The reason for this was different system they had when it comes to spreading dots.

For example, Creeping Terror and Discharge could be spread via Death Field.

Players could use Creeping Terror from afar on one player and pop Death Field also from distance in order to spread it to other players, like Madness Sorc can do now.

If a player wanted to spread Discharge also, then he/she was forced to come in close in order to apply it to one player, then spread it with Death Field to other players.

Death Field if I remember it right, had a range of 30m. So in other words, you could spread

Creeping Terror at least, without getting demolished right away.

At 3.0 or past that, I can't remember it right, someone had this "briliant" idea, to make Hatred spec, spread their dots via Lacerate. Also, range of Death Field was reduced by alot.

This wasn't much of a problem back then, mostly because Hatred's defs were on pair with other classes and spec's.

But as time passed by and almost every class got some buffs to defenses, Hatred kinda remained the same.

So let's jump to present day and how Hatred works now.

In order to spread any dot, player has to get into a "slaughter fest", apply dots to one player, use Lacerate a couple of times and pray to the Emperor that he won't get focussed and insta demolished while doing that.

Why "insta demolished" ? 'Cause defs are terrible to start with.

Spreading dots

The best way for Hatred assassins to survive longer would be to get the spread dot system as it was before.

Death Field with 30m range. That way players won't have to rush into their deaths hoping that they'll survive long enough just to spread their dots once.

Healing from dots

They are insignificant to survivability, getting from 100 to 200 HP from one dot/player is really nothing considering how often are players using shields, defs etc to lower dot dmg/cleanse them or ignore them totally.

My sugestion would be to increase recieved heals from dots, surely BioWare could do that, it only takes slight modification to Utility tree. Same goes for Death Field.

[Defense/Survivability/I]

Here's the real problem, defense stats/survivability.

Hatred spec is probably the most squishy spec there is atm. Even Sorces have better survivability than Hatred sins.

This could be improved, as I've already mentioned, better/bigger heals from DoT's and Death Field.

Probably the "game changer" for this spec would be if they shared Damage Reduction stacks like Deception Sins do, but lets say that BioWare can't do this atm because "reasons". Lets say they can only change Utilites.

One suggestion would be, bigger armor rating from picking Utility for it, instead of granting 30% more armor, they could up it to 50%, so they would have around 8k of armor, same as mercs/juggs, that way they'll recieve less dmg from hits by other classes, making their survivability a bit better.

Other suggestion would be, like I said before, sharing the same "defensive" stacks like Deception assassins.

Third suggestion would be, bigger heals from DoT's and Death Field which also can be done just by buffing their heals from Utility tree.

Huge quality of life (also a DPS increase)

1. Serenity strike/leeching strike refreshes the current DOTs on target.

It can be another attack, not necessarily the ones mentioned above. I

the alternative would be:

2. Your DOTs heals are increased an additional 100%

This way you balance increase DPS/QOL vs survability.

Another suggestion:

1. The healing received from Dots and abilities also place a shield on yourself for the same amount for 5 secs.

The shield gets refreshed and increased with each subsequent heal - this can happen only once every 2 secs.

the alternative.

2. Your DOT and leaching strike/serenity strike criticals also put a rolling dot on the target for 10% of the dmg over 6 secs.

Again - this is a choice between increase survivability and dmg.

1. Serenity strike/leeching strike refreshes the current DOTs on target.

It can be another attack, not necessarily the ones mentioned above. I

the alternative would be:.

I'm loving this idea.

Alternate idea I just thought of:

Using Phantom Stride applies/reapplies Discharge and Creeping terror to the target. Can put a cooldown on it so it's not super OP, say 45/60 seconds. Cooldown refreshes if the target dies within X seconds.

Additional bonus to consider in some way is if another passive or something makes it apply Eradicate too.

Another idea:

Using Eradicate gives you a damage or critical buff that stacks up to X times. Could be done so the buff applies only to some abilities, e.g. dots, or Eradicate itself - That would be a bit of a copy from Mara though.

Edited by invertioN

Idea 1:

Vampirism

Each Weapon-attack heals you for 1% of the damage dealt.

Idea 2:

Force Slow -> Movespeed Leech

For the duration, Force Slow now leeches the targets movespeed and maybe some HP aswell.

Idea 3:

DoTs tick without disturbing Mind Trap or Whirlwind.

Idea 4:

Force Slow also reduces the targets Alacracy, so they cast slower.

Idea 5:

Every target you hit with Death Field / Force Balance will increase your next Weapon-attack by +10% damage.

Edited by Mephesh

Edited to be easier to read and to clarify on some points I feel I didn't explain as well as I could have, and to add a potential set bonus as well as some new Tactical Item ideas.

Something to give Hatred/Serenity 30m range back on the DoTs and Deathfield/FiB (you could also just return the range back to us and it would make us all very happy).

Something to make it so that the level 56 passive, Inevitable Demise/Aching Mind, works at pre-execute phase, as well as in execute (meaning it's up for 100% of the fight duration), at reduced damage boost - say 15% give or take whatever % is needed to keep it in line with the other melee sustained specs - so the spec can feel like a real pressure/sustained spec and not have its full DPS potential locked for 70% of a single target encounter like it is currently (I would be OK if the passive was reworked so it works like how I just described).

Something to make it so all 3 DoTs are spread with Lacerate/Whirling Blow.

Something to make it so all damage dealt heals you for X% which could either be static across the board or vary depending on the ability.

Something to boost the current self healing on our DoTs and abilties by X% (lets say 50% additional heals on DoTs and Deathfield/FiB while only increasing Leeching Strike/ Serenity Strike by 20% or so)

Something to make it so you don't self heal and instead do increased damage on the abilities that currently self heal.

Something so that a Crit on Assassinate/Leeching Strike will grant you 1 stack of Recklessness/Force Potency

Something to make it so Deathfield/FiB is no longer an AoE ability, but a single target ability that does increased damage or has increased Crit chance (possibly 100% because why not) to compensate.

Something to make Deathfield/FiB hit double the targets while dealing reduced damage to compensate, and to increase the size of the AoE to 8m again.

Something to make it so applying your DoTs or using some other ability or two costs no Force or restores X amount of Force.

Increase all DoT Damage by X% (something crazy like 100%, but lowers all other damage by Y%).

Spinning Strike/Assassinate or Serenity/Leeching Strike has no cooldown when hitting a target affected by your Squelch/Eradicate (Makes it so Spinning Strike/Assassinate is usable on a target regardless of their current health. Serenity/Leeching Strike is probably the better choice here since it would seem kinda redundant with the level 48 passive the spec currently has. Serenity/Leeching Strike with no GCD would also massively help you survive in PvP).

30% DR while stunned (desperately needed)

Something to double the duration of Force Shroud/Resilience.

Something to make Deflection either absorb X% of Force and Tech damage while active or to increase the melee and ranged defense chance by X% (let's say 25% for the sake of this).

Something to make Mass Mind Control have increased damage reduction by X% and last Y seconds longer or to make it so it affects everybody in your Group/Operation as well. Possibly even a combination of these as well.

2pc set bonus: Leeching/Serenity Strike is now a 10m attack and gives one stack of Reklessness when it crits. (Would give us more of the semi-ranged feel we had until the range nerfs happened)

4pc set bonus: Thrash/Double Strike makes you next Assassinate/Spinning Strike a critical hit. Can only occur once every X (let's use 60 since that's what it is currently). (Personally not a fan of this, but i know some people won't want it to go).

4pc set bonus: All DoTs that consume a stack of Death Mark/Force Suppression do X% (let's say 100%) additional damage

6pc set bonus: Every time Deathfiled/FiB and/or Discharge/Force Breach critically hit a target, it deals an additional 50% damage. (would likely need to be one or the other for balance purposes, but both sure would be awesome)

Edited by SpleneticGamer

1. Increases the radius of lacerate by 2 meters, lacerate now makes targets bleed for 5-7 seconds.

2. Increases the range of death field to 35 meters and it's radius to 10 meters affecting up to 10 targets.

1) Death field stays on the ground for x sec. dealing damage and spreading DoTs for everyone enter it's area of effect.

2) Phantom Stride works as Force Charge. (Or, at least, has a smaller cooldown).

3) Force Speed lasts twice as long.

4) Phase Walk is baaaack ! :cool:

Edited by Solarmind

Give dot spread to deathfield, lacerate as dot-spreader just feels clunky to me.

Agree! Whirling Blow is for Infiltration/Deception where they get nice bonuses to the ability. DoT spread should never have been removed from Deathfield. Make it centered on self, like Bushwhack/Toxic Haze, Vigilant Thrust/Vengeful Slam. Tweak the radius. This spec should be controlling all the maras and guardians running around.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Agree! Whirling Blow is for Infiltration/Deception where they get nice bonuses to the ability. DoT spread should never have been removed from Deathfield. Make it centered on self, like Bushwhack/Toxic Haze, Vigilant Thrust/Vengeful Slam. Tweak the radius. This spec should be controlling all the maras and guardians running around.

I diagree honestly. Whirling Blow is better since it has only a 1 GCD cooldown allowing for you to spread more than Deathfield. I do prefer it on Deatfield, but it would be a massive AoE loss which is not worth it in my opinion.

I'd like to see something that makes death field also leave a force storm in it's wake for hatred assassins, like the one you get when you play as Valkorian, the 2 ability. Attatch that to it. We have no frickin lightning other than our discharge. Shock, force lightning, it was all taken away. Maul was taken.

I'd like to see that, death field leave a force storm. AS WELL as a new ability that does something with lightning. I'd also settle for an awesome saber attack, cause I think we're the only lightsaber class with 0 awe inspiring lightsaber moves. Even deception got a cool flippy one. We still just thrash. Replace thrash.

Edited by Chiltonium

I'd also settle for an awesome saber attack, cause I think we're the only lightsaber class with 0 awe inspiring lightsaber moves. Even deception got a cool flippy one. We still just thrash. Replace thrash.

I like this idea. Maybe introduce a new ability that requires you to use thrash first (just make some synergy between the new ability and thrash).

Another thing that would be nice is if Hatred gets better force management and there are infinite ways to do it.

Another idea: Give Hatred an offensive cooldown which when activated lets you have access to ALL execute (sub 30%) bonuses, that is damage bonuses and using Assassinate. Probably lasts for 15 second but I would like 18, and has a cooldown of 2 minutes. The idea is to have better burst for places where it's required.

Edited by invertioN

Ever since the nerf on Assassinate, that ability was made trash. Far worse it is on Hatred since its a proc.

I have 258 MH/OH along with the set, the damage on it says something like 11700-13700 ish dmg, yet when I get a proc, I can hit as low as 7K which is laughable, proced/crit hit from the set can deal from 15-20k ish, depending on the armor of the enemy that I hit.

Seriously BioWare, whoever told you to nerf sins damage never played that class, unlike me, been playing it since 2014 and since all the nerfs and zero buffs to Hatred, I play it mostly in PVE, cause in PVP, it's the most squishy class that exists with terrible defenses. The only strong point on that class are dots if u manage to live long enough to spread them once. (pvp wise)

I know this is kinda off the topic and we're clueless on these tactical items and how they will work, but I think there's no item in the world that will make this class more powerful without any class/spec buffs.

Remember mercs in 2.0-3.0 era?

Make this class great again.

Ever since the nerf on Assassinate, that ability was made trash. Far worse it is on Hatred since its a proc.

I have 258 MH/OH along with the set, the damage on it says something like 11700-13700 ish dmg, yet when I get a proc, I can hit as low as 7K which is laughable, proced/crit hit from the set can deal from 15-20k ish, depending on the armor of the enemy that I hit.

Seriously BioWare, whoever told you to nerf sins damage never played that class, unlike me, been playing it since 2014 and since all the nerfs and zero buffs to Hatred, I play it mostly in PVE, cause in PVP, it's the most squishy class that exists with terrible defenses. The only strong point on that class are dots if u manage to live long enough to spread them once. (pvp wise)

I know this is kinda off the topic and we're clueless on these tactical items and how they will work, but I think there's no item in the world that will make this class more powerful without any class/spec buffs.

Remember mercs in 2.0-3.0 era?

Make this class great again.

yea sucks to be shadow, but infiltration is way worse, you get 7k dmg like often, while serenity have dots which helps you a lot. Serenity/hatred is better for me now, infil is juct luckluster now atm, while emrcs jugs do 30-40k crits my biggest is 22k on 254 gear (even serenity has better 28k procs).

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

HATRED/SERENITY

Tactical Suggestions:

• Leeching strike now also costs 5% of max HP and increases Leeching strike’s damage dealt by 30%
  • Converts Inevitable Demise to deal 15% more damage on targets under 60% health
  • Inevitable Demise now deals 30% more damage on targets above 60% health

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Consuming a death mark grants 1 force
  • 4 set - Leeching strike grants [insert rp name here], causing periodic damage to deal 10% increased damage for 5 seconds
  • 6 set - Assassinate deals 5% increased damage for each instance of periodic damage on the target

Tactical Item:

Light Armor: High mobility abilities (Force Speed, Shadow Stride and Phase Walk) have their cooldown reduced by 50%. Your Resolve bar now deteriorates 25% faster (less time for the white bar), all time spent stunned is decreased by 2 seconds. In addition, you receive a 10% DR bonus while stunned. (the last one may not be needed, but would be nice. Give this to all light armor classes. Very PvP focused)

Edited by SpleneticGamer

Hatred has a long ramp up time and spreading DoTs does not feel good.

Tactical:

-Leeching Strike now also absorbs the next % of healing received by the target and heals you for the same amount.

-Eradicate now does all of its damage immediately and absorbs healing received by the target by the same amount of DoT damage that would have been applied otherwise.

-Deathfield now has a range of 20 yards and stuns all enemy's for 2 seconds and slows them by 50% for 6 seconds.

-Deathfield's range and radius is reduced but hits with devastating force increasing damage significantly and decreasing the CD recovery rate of enemys by 25% for as long as deathmark exists.

-Assassinate can now be used at any percentage of enemy health but now applies a dot, Executioner, and increases Alacrity by small %. Executioner does X damage over 4 Seconds. If the target is below 25% health when Executioner expires the target is obliterated (killed).

-Lacerate now receives its own charge of raze which gives its damage a 100% critical chance and removes the GCD.

-Lacerates damage is doubled but hits fewer targets. Profuse horror lingers spreading applied DoTs for 4 seconds.

-Force Shroud leaves a fulminating force cloud (black/red if sith) for 5 seconds in a 10yrd radius which reduces the damage taken by allies by 30% and does a small amount of damage to enemy trapped (can snare enemies too? seems op at this point but w/e) in its radius.

Set Bonus

-Frenzy Aura: reduces the GCD of Creeping Terror, Discharge, and Lacerate by 50%.

-Terror Aura: Terror Aura spreads applied DoTs in 12yrd radius.

-Deaths Door: When hit with damage that would otherwise kill you, the assassin phases through deaths door and is healed for 5%. Incoming damage is also reduced by 85% for 2 seconds. Cannot attack while at deaths door and cannot occur more than once every 3 min.

-Dot damage is increased for a short period after assassin re-enters stealth.

-Hatred assassins see through the force gaining 5% passive accuracy.

-Your double bladed lights saber flies through the air doing damage to anybody in its path when phantom stride is used. (Belongs in Tactical?)

-Dark Echo: Dark echos of past sith assassins will periodically appear and aid the assassin with a vicious back stab to the enemy.

Obviously Sith based. Rename or adjust things to fit Serenity as you must.

Edit: And if you implement some of my suggestions you cannot implement others because they would be redundant.

Edited by Diefexor