Welcome to the Galactic Starfighter Forum!

EricMusco

Amen to this. I've player GSF once , only once on 1 character. And was totally lost, had no clue how to do anything, and had no real way even within the tutorials to explain/understand how to do things within GSF. Maybe I'm just blind, but being the IRL son of a High School English teacher, I can read, I can follow instructions, & I can listen to others trying to help via chat. :rak_03:

But this was a major, complete, total & utter disappointment. Pancho was being nice when he said "Nice Try" , this was not even a Nice Try. It is a dismal failure. Here is hoping for it to be fixed , fast.:rak_02:

Yup, you really tried hard and gave yourself a chance to learn. There is a whole, rather large (considering the fact that this is an MMORPG), community of people that enjoy it and find it amazing so, obviously, it's at least a little better than "not even a nice try".

In case you're willing to actually put some effort into learning, here are some useful topics:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737470

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=741384

Also, on every server and faction there is a GSF chat channel. It may not be very active everywhere, but there mostly are people at least reading it. Ask for help there.

Oh, and if anyone else wants to trash GSF comparing to Freelancer: I spend 1000s of hours on Freelancer over the years and had absolutely no difficulty adapting to GSF controls, even find those 2 quite similar in many aspects.

Edited by Asbetos

Amen to this. I've player GSF once , only once on 1 character. And was totally lost, had no clue how to do anything, and had no real way even within the tutorials to explain/understand how to do things within GSF. Maybe I'm just blind, but being the IRL son of a High School English teacher, I can read, I can follow instructions, & I can listen to others trying to help via chat. :rak_03:

But this was a major, complete, total & utter disappointment. Pancho was being nice when he said "Nice Try" , this was not even a Nice Try. It is a dismal failure. Here is hoping for it to be fixed , fast.:rak_02:

You tried a complex PvP game once, did poorly, and did not try again. No surprises here, I got spanked my first warzone too (in every game I ever played) so whats the issue here? I am really sick of people who admittedly don't know ANYTHING about this game, who come here and don't even try, then cry about how the game is broken and bad.

The problem isn't the game its your attitude, expecting to invest 0 time into something and get some sort of result. Like most things in life this game takes time to learn and experience to get good at. If you refuse to do these things then video games are not for you (maybe 1 player kiddie games but def not PvP)

As a new player some games will be ok, some will be brutal. You play for the good games, you play to earn req and gear your ships, you play to get better. This is not freelancer or any other space combat game, its GSF and it is competitive and fun. Id love to see more people get into it but most people expect their 1 player space sim experience to translate into instant ownage. Sadly this is not the case, this game is different but it is also very fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no idea why this isn't stickied, but I'll post this in the sticky, as the forum whims often have this amazing GSF guide off the first page:

(Stasie's GSF Guide)

Yup, you really tried hard and gave yourself a chance to learn. There is a whole, rather large (considering the fact that this is an MMORPG), community of people that enjoy it and find it amazing so, obviously, it's at least a little better than "not even a nice try".

In case you're willing to actually put some effort into learning, here are some useful topics:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=737470

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=741384

Also, on every server and faction there is a GSF chat channel. It may not be very active everywhere, but there mostly are people at least reading it. Ask for help there.

Oh, and if anyone else wants to trash GSF comparing to Freelancer: I spend 1000s of hours on Freelancer over the years and had absolutely no difficulty adapting to GSF controls, even find those 2 quite similar in many aspects.

Now folks... you know this is a game, right? :p

Some people just come in a game for having fun, not to read hours (yes hours 'cause not everyone in the world knows English) of "manuals" that for sure will be useful but will just eat up time that people may be more interested in spending playing the game. Some people have not even the time to get here on the forums... lol :D

In my opinion the "Training Scenario" has enough to read already and that's all a player needs to know about how to build up the things matching with his/her play-stile.

What this GSF thing needs is a full review by devs and the thing is cristalline-clear in every single post of these forums. A coop-training scenario will do every trick and be quite more fun (that will be wonderful indeed).

So great work on the "Bible" guys and thankyou! But don't pretend that everyone has the will, the time and the need to read/study/memorize anything about any game.

:p

Edited by Kcin_Trebla

Now folks... you know this is a game, right? :p

Some people just come in a game for having fun, not to read hours (yes hours 'cause not everyone in the world knows English) of "manuals" that for sure will be useful but will just eat up time that people may be more interested in spending playing the game. Some people have not even the time to get here on the forums... lol :D

In my opinion the "Training Scenario" has enough to read already and that's all a player needs to know about how to build up the things matching with his/her play-stile.

Indeed, not everyone has the time or will to do it, but that's not the problem. The problem are those that don't read and don't practice, but come here acting like they know everything and are godlike pilots.

What this GSF thing needs is a full review by devs and the thing is cristalline-clear in every single post of these forums. A coop-training scenario will do every trick and be quite more fun (that will be wonderful indeed).

So great work on the "Bible" guys and thankyou! But don't pretend that everyone has the will, the time and the need to read/study/memorize anything about any game.

:p

Agreed, we've been asking for a good tutorial probably since the launch, but there still isn't one.

Edited by Asbetos

• 2 months later...
hey guys how do i get new ships for gsf?

3 ways:

1) In your hangar (default: H), there is a list of all ships, you just click the small purple icon to buy it. You have to have enough Fleet Requisition for it, though.

2) Cartel Market, Starfighter section

3) Galactic Trade Network

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BTW Would be nice to post time also in UTC... Especially with daylight time that is additionally confusing. Not everyone is from US/Canada, you know :p

Assuming it is 3-6pm Pacific *Standard* Time it will be 11pm-2am UTC

Edited by Bolo_Yeung

• 2 weeks later...

Technically it's been pushed back, but we visibly have no active GSF development right now. The stuff that was "up next" might still be "next", but we have no ETA, nor signs of development in the slightest. The last changes made were to revert a large number of game breaking bugs introduced in 3.0.

The fifth class is the inflitrator, a set of ships with limited stealth abilities. Development was never completed, so we don't know exactly what the intention was on their stealth drives. There were three of them, and of the six models (two models for each type, one empire, one republic), they almost seemed like placeholders. Likely the amount of balance and model work outstripped their remaining time, so it was shelved for now.

The next map was widely predicted to be Denon TDM, because there were some hints of that, but that is also not being developed at the moment.

Hopefully this will change soon.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I would like to submit or resubmit an idea that might or might not have been brought up before. GSF is thought of in game usually in one of two ways....players either love it but want more, or they absolutely despise it due to learning/gearing curve compared to those people who have been playing it since it came out. So, we have the lovers and the haters.

First the easy ones, those who like GSF. Desire more content for it, new ships, new maps....perhaps even an operation based level of play where group load out would include all classes of fighters and bombers and gunships. Just an early suggestion.

Secondly the harder issue.. New players or even old timers who never tried or were late to the party so to speak in terms of playing GSF find it hard to compete due to gear differential. In simplistic terms....no one likes to play the role of Indian when playing Cowboys and Indians (Lord help me I know its politically incorrect and I don't give a rats a%$) but seriously, no one wants to play the role of looser over and over and over and over. New players come into a GSF match and they get slaughtered over and over again. My own wife hates GSF, she understands she will die in ground PvP, it happens no matter how good you are, you will most likely get taken out, but to her GSF feels like all she does is "put mileage on the ship" and then gets blown out of space without even a clue. This is usually most peoples complaints against GSF, new gsf players die without learning practically anything except GSF is miserable. Its hard to grow a community of players if the learning/gearing curve is so steep its practically insurmountable and not fun to play.

I am not suggesting dumbing things down for everyone but to create an environment where new players can learn to fly and earn requisition to better equip their ships so that they might last a little longer in a match instead of just heading out of the hanger like lambs to slaughter.

GSF needs, NEEDS a PvE environment for this purpose, and not, sorry BW, that Lame early space junk where you are lead by your nose around a targeting area shooting at points on a screen with no control at all except when to fire. Fly by rails is horrible and dull! But if we had an area and maps and content based in story we might capture a lot of new players and get them into the cockpits and into the matches.

Gsf que times are improving but are NO where near as quick as 'ground" PvP, and while I am standing around waiting for my next GSF match, my exp boost or worse CXP boost is wearing out waiting for enough people to que up. We are NOT getting our monies worth in that situation and we need to bring in new people, and to that end we need to look at whats keeping new players out of GSF and I feel its the gearing/learning curve.

In closing, think about the possibilities that could be opened up with this, a larger player base actually playing GSF, gearing up in a PvE area where you might actually stand a chance learning what your ship can do and the ability to upgrade it to the point you can survive against a real thinking creative player in PvP. I can imagine an Operation or Flashpoint based in part or wholly utilizing Ships, either taking down or taking over a capital ship. Where you would need to have Gunships providing long range support, Scouts zipping in to confuse and disorient defenses, Stk Fighters to take down hardened points with their ordinance and Bombers activating healing drones for resupply and damage repair as well as enabling Hyper beacon early responsiveness. You could even have a portion of the Op be inside said Capital ship where you send part or all your teams to its hanger and land inside the ship to sabotage it or take it over....that sounds exciting quite frankly. I implore people to give this idea a look see, and beg the dev team to consider this in earnest.

Hornkneetoad Shadowlands Server

Edited by Samwyse

I am not suggesting dumbing things down for everyone but to create an environment where new players can learn to fly and earn requisition to better equip their ships so that they might last a little longer in a match instead of just heading out of the hanger like lambs to slaughter.

GSF needs, NEEDS a PvE environment for this purpose

GSF PvE would be great. I have anecdotally heard that the SWTOR dev team is very small at this point. Even assuming they reused the same assets that are in GSF and created no new content for it, programming the AI for enemy ships seems likely beyond them. Considering that it would have made sense to include AI ships in the existing GSF tutorial and instead they included immobile turret drones, there may be some engine issue that makes it hard for them to program AI that can navigate a 3D environment, acquire targets, etc.

The less costly (in terms of assets / AI) solution that would meet your goals is if somehow they were able to allocate dev time to set up a custom match lobby like games on the internet have had since the internet became a thing. If, for example, you could create a private match where you picked the map, the participants, and the victory conditions, and then could go in and practice as much as you liked, it would fulfill the need for a place outside the general queue where people could get acclimated to the game... or receive tutoring from those who already know it well.

- Despon

Welcome to GSF!

There is a GSF School YouTube channel with lots of content covering beginner and advanced topics. You might want to check out the Stock Ship series in particular, and can even skip the Overview and go directly to the

which is packed with info for beginners.

If text is more your thing, there are also several guides for beginners.

Use '/cjoin GSF' to join the GSF chat channel on your server of choice, and talk to other pilots. Group up, ask for advice, and you'll find it's not so hard to improve and learn the game!

There is also a very active GSF Discord, with lots of pilots signed up from all over the world.

- Despon

Edited by caederon

• 1 month later...

The match ups for new players is ridiculously unfair. They bolster pvp so there is somewhat of an even playing field. GSF is a joke, plus it is all Gunship wars... I dont recall ANY Star Wars movie where they sat back and sniped the enemy. Then when you end up with a team full of Mastered ships vs a team of new players or new ships, it's a blow out. Then people complain about long GSF ques.... I wonder why.

GSF = Broken

• 3 months later...
The match ups for new players is ridiculously unfair. They bolster pvp so there is somewhat of an even playing field. GSF is a joke, plus it is all Gunship wars... I dont recall ANY Star Wars movie where they sat back and sniped the enemy. Then when you end up with a team full of Mastered ships vs a team of new players or new ships, it's a blow out. Then people complain about long GSF ques.... I wonder why.

GSF = Broken

It's not just GSF , but PvP in general . Unless you are in a PvP focused Guild , or have enough friends to routinely make Pre-Made WZ groups you are going to feel like "This is so Unfair!" . Newbie's come in, que Solo , does not matter if it is low, mid, or End Game WZ's , as a Solo PvP'r you get put in PuG's with others who mostly are just killing time , or farming WZ's so they can finish a Daily , or Weekly , or so they can get Conquest points or something.

Then , you see other's who are obviously in Pre-Made teams, groups , and you think "Man , we don't ever stand a chance against players / groups like that" , and most get discouraged and stop Queuing , or if they really want to PvP they go and Find a Guild /Friends to help them. Hopefully this is the outcome. But , some just get fed up of getting Steam Rolled over & over and just stop doing WZ' s all together ( this was me ). I mean, you hear the winning team's brag about how good they are and you just have to say "Sure, we'd kick you're but's if you were the PuG's, and we had a Pre-made team" . But, that ends up just feeding the Trolls , and frustrat'es you even more. I've found (In SW:TOR at least) that 97%+ of the PvP players that I meet / fight against in typical WZ's , I have next to nothing in common with them and would want nothing to do with them , outside of War Zones. I'd not be "Their Friend" , and most are just arrogant, Self-Absorbed, Salty Dikwad's that love to brag about how great they are , when in reality it's not how good they are , but how bad the opposing team is. And , it's that way in WZ's , Free Form World PvP , and GSF . It's also why , when I started out and moved over to World of Warcraft for Legion's launch that I refused to do PvP at all . I figured "I've seen this show before. No sense in trying something that I know is just going to end up failing" . I figured , if PvP is like that in SW:TOR , it is probably very, very similar in other MMO's like SW:TOR , and since SW:TOR is basically a WoW clone , safe to say PvP is going to be very similar as well. Same with Elder Scrolls Online , and other MMO's I've tried. Figured , Don't need to go there , I know how things will end up . Now , I'm not 100% sure how things really would be if I did WoW Battle Grounds , or Open World PvP in ESO , but I'm scared enough from SW:TOR crappy PvP that I don;t even want to try any other now. Just not worth the effort in my mind.

And so yes , we all can agree : GSF is broken. Has been for some time . And , IMO , PvP sucks in general , in SW:TOR . All forms of it , GSF , WZ's , and Open World. Too many Salty, T-Bagging Dikwad's , not enough Elder Players that are willing to take a Newbie under their wing and show them "How it's Done" . Sad , but true. :rak_03:

• 2 weeks later...
Verain states clearly what each of them means. F4 is balanced power mode, F1 is power to weapons, F2 is power to shields, and F3 id power to engines. In any case, the tutorial explains how to swap power, and you can check out Stasie's guide stickied here for more info.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
It's not just GSF , but PvP in general . Unless you are in a PvP focused Guild , or have enough friends to routinely make Pre-Made WZ groups you are going to feel like "This is so Unfair!" . Newbie's come in, que Solo , does not matter if it is low, mid, or End Game WZ's , as a Solo PvP'r you get put in PuG's with others who mostly are just killing time , or farming WZ's so they can finish a Daily , or Weekly , or so they can get Conquest points or something.

Then , you see other's who are obviously in Pre-Made teams, groups , and you think "Man , we don't ever stand a chance against players / groups like that" , and most get discouraged and stop Queuing , or if they really want to PvP they go and Find a Guild /Friends to help them. Hopefully this is the outcome. But , some just get fed up of getting Steam Rolled over & over and just stop doing WZ' s all together ( this was me ). I mean, you hear the winning team's brag about how good they are and you just have to say "Sure, we'd kick you're but's if you were the PuG's, and we had a Pre-made team" . But, that ends up just feeding the Trolls , and frustrat'es you even more. I've found (In SW:TOR at least) that 97%+ of the PvP players that I meet / fight against in typical WZ's , I have next to nothing in common with them and would want nothing to do with them , outside of War Zones. I'd not be "Their Friend" , and most are just arrogant, Self-Absorbed, Salty Dikwad's that love to brag about how great they are , when in reality it's not how good they are , but how bad the opposing team is. And , it's that way in WZ's , Free Form World PvP , and GSF . It's also why , when I started out and moved over to World of Warcraft for Legion's launch that I refused to do PvP at all . I figured "I've seen this show before. No sense in trying something that I know is just going to end up failing" . I figured , if PvP is like that in SW:TOR , it is probably very, very similar in other MMO's like SW:TOR , and since SW:TOR is basically a WoW clone , safe to say PvP is going to be very similar as well. Same with Elder Scrolls Online , and other MMO's I've tried. Figured , Don't need to go there , I know how things will end up . Now , I'm not 100% sure how things really would be if I did WoW Battle Grounds , or Open World PvP in ESO , but I'm scared enough from SW:TOR crappy PvP that I don;t even want to try any other now. Just not worth the effort in my mind.

And so yes , we all can agree : GSF is broken. Has been for some time . And , IMO , PvP sucks in general , in SW:TOR . All forms of it , GSF , WZ's , and Open World. Too many Salty, T-Bagging Dikwad's , not enough Elder Players that are willing to take a Newbie under their wing and show them "How it's Done" . Sad , but true. :rak_03:

I sense much salt in this post. Good thing its winter right now. Did you even make an effort to do simple searches on youtube, or even google?

Asking for a friend, considering the help is all over the place if you simply search.

You even came here, where much of the information is.

• JackieKo unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...