DPS Guardian PvP in Soresu?

YanksfanJP

Simple question - if I'm a Vigilance or Focus specced Guardian (still leveling, at level 26 atm), should I be doing warzones in Soresu form so I can have Guard up on a healer, or forget that and use my dps stance for the damage and focus, and only use Taunt for protection points? Edited by YanksfanJP

Simple question - if I'm a Vigilance or Focus specced Guardian (still leveling, at level 26 atm), should I be doing warzones in Soresu form so I can have Guard up on a healer, or forget that and use my dps stance for the damage and focus, and only use Taunt for protection points?

There isn't a delay when switching stances like on powertech/vanguard, so you can switch while running on the fly.

In other words, do what the situation requires. In huttball I'll switch to soresu if nobody got a guard on the carrier, or I'm carrying the ball. Its actually one of the hallmarks of the class imho. I mean, I do it on my PT too but nowhere near as often it seems.

Use all your tools.

Simple question - if I'm a Vigilance or Focus specced Guardian (still leveling, at level 26 atm), should I be doing warzones in Soresu form so I can have Guard up on a healer, or forget that and use my dps stance for the damage and focus, and only use Taunt for protection points?

If you're a tank, you're a tank. If you're DPS, you're DPS. Use taunts by cooldown, but use Soresu only when it is necessary (you're carrying the ball, for example).

Guarding a healer as a DPS spec serves no purpose but delay the inevitable, in the majority of cases. You have less/worse peeling tools as a DPS spec, you have less defensive cooldowns, you sacrifice a lot of damage. As a DPS Guard supporting a healer, you'll do better by CCing the enemy off (Awe/push - good for resetting Charge and rooting a melee that's attacking your team-mate), taunting and slowing the healer's attackers and trying to kill them as quick as possible.

Soresu gimps your damage output so horribly it's not really an option if you want to put consistent pressure on your enemies. Not to mention stance-switching wipes your Focus.

Edited by Helig

If you're a tank, you're a tank. If you're DPS, you're DPS. Use taunts by cooldown, but use Soresu only when it is necessary (you're carrying the ball, for example).

Guarding a healer as a DPS spec serves no purpose but delay the inevitable, in the majority of cases. You have less/worse peeling tools as a DPS spec, you have less defensive cooldowns, you sacrifice a lot of damage. As a DPS Guard supporting a healer, you'll do better by CCing the enemy off (Awe/push - good for resetting Charge and rooting a melee that's attacking your team-mate), taunting and slowing the healer's attackers and trying to kill them as quick as possible.

Soresu gimps your damage output so horribly it's not really an option if you want to put consistent pressure on your enemies. Not to mention stance-switching wipes your Focus.

I'll only use Taunt and Mass Taunt then, thanks for the help

While everything in the above post is true, there are situations where guard can be very helpful even in dps spec. Like everything else in pvp it's just situational.

I would also say it depends on your spec. If you're the current hybrid approach, I could see switching stances being okay. If you're Defense focused, just stay in Soresu. I tend to just stay there since my focus is to protect the team on my current Guardian. I may respec at times to allow for the Vigilance/DPS spec in the future, but we'll see if I can ever afford that. :( Wish we could have alternate builds to swap between more easily.

2.0 is only more likely to add to this, depending on your spec, though I think the boost to Guardian Strike and other things will make staying in Soresu better for PvP. I'm just going to miss the heck out of Unremitting. :(