Mouse pointer goes crazy at times

GaBacon

HI! I was not sure where else to put this. My mouse will all of a sudden do like a 100 degree jerk to the left right up or down while i'm am moving or fighting normally. It has been happening for a very long time but i am just now posting about it because my research has turned up nil.

Now don't get this confused with mouse turn speed or sensitivity, i have those set fine. As a matter of fact it is all fine and then all of a sudden it shoots my camera straight up to the ceiling or i'm looking in a totally opposite direct and need to get looking in the right direction again real fast. I have lost lives because of this and it is frustrating.

Now this only happens every so often but it happens enough that it bugs me.

This seems to be a problem with "laser" mice. According to what I've read, it has to do with the mouse temporarily losing track of it's position. Getting a new mouse pad, or cleaning the old one, seems to help.

I used to get this problem quite often, but after getting a good Logitech mouse mat, it has settled down to being only occasionally.

This seems to be a problem with "laser" mice. According to what I've read, it has to do with the mouse temporarily losing track of it's position. Getting a new mouse pad, or cleaning the old one, seems to help.

I used to get this problem quite often, but after getting a good Logitech mouse mat, it has settled down to being only occasionally.

This issue also happens to me, but it only happens in SWTOR. That is to say, if it was the mouse or the mouse pad, it would be noticeable in other games or software (or even perhaps Windows), but it strictly happens in SWTOR. You are running or just moving the camera around and suddenly it moves like you moved the mouse 2 feet. I have a feeling it might be the game stuttering and exaggerating the mouse movement, very rarely.

I've had this happen a lot as well. I'm not sure if it has to do with using both mouse buttons as the forward movement, but it's really irritating.

I especially notice the issue when using AoE targeting abilities. All of sudden everything goes crazy when you try to lay out the target. From what I can tell, this is an old issue, because there are tons of past threads (that I'm too lazy to look up right now) about the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
They must be the laziest bunch not to have this fixed in the last 10 years.

Keep in mind that this problem is related to the design of the mouse and the Windows drivers. It's not caused by SWTOR.

You may find that it only shows up in SWTOR for you, but that's mostly just a matter of what games you play. Lately, I don't get this happening in SWTOR as often as it does in TFC - Team Fortress Classic, a old first person shooter, capture the flag, mod for Half-life - which is about as different from SWTOR as you can get.

Unfortunately, this has been an issue since the game was in beta. I used to write in tickets on this in closed beta.

I'll tell you something though, it used to happen a hundred times more frequently than it does now. It's a once in a blue moon thing for me these days, but it still happens from time to time.

And to this day, only in this game.

• 5 weeks later...
Keep in mind that this problem is related to the design of the mouse and the Windows drivers. It's not caused by SWTOR.

You may find that it only shows up in SWTOR for you, but that's mostly just a matter of what games you play. Lately, I don't get this happening in SWTOR as often as it does in TFC - Team Fortress Classic, a old first person shooter, capture the flag, mod for Half-life - which is about as different from SWTOR as you can get.

Considering that this issue has been reported as a bug for nearly 7 years, I'm going to have to beg to differ. It's obviously you don't have a background in development, or in troubleshooting.

If it were a hardware issue, it would be everywhere. The problem is most likely in the way that SWTOR is reading the input data from the device. Same with the other rare titles/mods you would be experiencing the issue in. It doesn't matter that they are "as different from SWTOR as you can get" because the issue relates not to the engine, but in how it is reading the data from the hardware.

It was suggested a couple of years ago that disabling the smart camera would fix this. (In fact, the ability to disable it was one of the implemented "fixes" for this issue.) In testing it seems to make it occur less, but the issue still persists. Particularly when you begin moving after being still for a moment. (A key detail that further shows it is not a hardware issue, but something inherent in the client code.)

Except for the minor fact that it happens in other games - such as TFC - as well.

🙂

Edit - it just occurred to me that this hasn't happened to me in SWTOR for quite a while, but it still happens regularly in TFC.

Getting a new, proper mousepad helps.

Edited by JediQuaker

Except for the minor fact that it happens in other games - such as TFC - as well.

🙂

Edit - it just occurred to me that this hasn't happened to me in SWTOR for quite a while, but it still happens regularly in TFC.

... Seeing as this is the only game it has EVER happened in and has happened for years to me and other people AND that it has happened on different systems and mice that i have owned i will go out on a not-so-large limb and say it is SWTORs issue.

Um, but no, it's not the only game this happens in. It may be the only game it happens to you in, but . . .

You simply need to google "mouse randomly looks up" and you'll get lots of results from Steam, Overwatch, etc.

Edited by JediQuaker

I may have been confused, im sorry. i thought you were saying to me, as the OP, that this happens in other games also as far as mine go. Meh all i know is that it is bothersome haha. Seems to happen most in PvP tho it seems. hmm

• 2 months later...

🙂

Well, I can't argue with you that it happens to you in other games, but for me, SWTOR is the only game. At the list of games I play is long, the list of games I have played way longer. From LotRO, over Warcraft 3 (old and new), to CoD MW (new). Shooter, RPG, ARPG, Simulations, RTS.

New mousepad? I use Logitech G903 with Powerplay. My old Mousepad was 3 years old and I replaced it 2 weeks ago, so it is new.

The problem with the mouse is more than annoying. I mean, you run mostly with the button "W" and change direction with the right mousebutton. And then suddenly you see the cursor on screen and you cannot change direction anymore. It looks like the game "loses" the right mousebutton for a short time, and sometimes it finds it again < 1second. Sometimes its more like 2 seconds. Like that the game is unplayable for me because it happens often, and all the time. I tried changing the camera settings (smart camera and so on), I tried options in Windows for it. I tried playing with Logitech G Hub uninstalled. It tried playing with the mouse wired. Nothing helps.

Long story short: For me it is definitely a SWTOR Only Problem, I never had problems with my mouse in any other game. But the thing is, I forgot about the problem and game for years, I watched "Clone Wars" again and got the "fever" so I made an payment for 6 months for the game, but right now, it's unplayable for me because of that, so I paid a lot of money for nothing, and that really pisses me of. Specially because if you search about that problem, you find Forum posts from 2012 where people are describing extactly that problem.... now 8 years later, still. And I don't think that all these guys have old mousepads....

PS / Edit: Also why I can say it's not because of the mousepad and so on.... I see the cursor moving, that is just fine, but I really loses the clicked right mousebutton for a moment. And when it catches it afterwards again you movement is freaked out of course because by now you move different. And after studying IT for a few semesters I am pretty sure a old mousepad does not affect the right click

Edited by dizi

Um, but no, it's not the only game this happens in. It may be the only game it happens to you in, but . . .

You simply need to google "mouse randomly looks up" and you'll get lots of results from Steam, Overwatch, etc.

What you're saying might be true but it's not really relevant. So long as it's not happening in every single game or application, it is clearly not a hardware issue but a game issue.

There is some sort of input problem or software conflict that causes this, and it is inherent to SWTOR but your mileage may vary.

This issue has got me killed in operation boss fights as I try to run away from an AoE attack and the mouse suddenly yanks me in the other direction. So it ranges from irritating inconvenience to total calamity.

Edited by FishyScales