Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am just thinking out loud here but this problem that they were wanting to solve...didn't they just make it worse?:rak_02::ph_use_the_force:

In my opinion... yes, they did. I can't even solo some content anymore without dedicating an entire evening to it. I may not have done many flashpoints before and only had a large 10-hour PvP window on my previous not-close-to-dead server but at least I could solo content in minutes before that can now take hours to complete. I'm glad "most" people are happy now. Honestly, I am. It's just a shame, again in my opinion, we were all funneled into the same few servers rather than creating real balance across the existing servers.

I know the server I am on is completely dead. Prime time had a total of 3 people on and that was including me. The server they are offering on free transfer I don't really have any interest in transfering to the server and every single one of my char names I would of liked to use plus my legecy name is taken which makes me not want to even bother transfering to the servers. I had great hopes for this server transfer thing and all it did was basicly kill off a bunch of servers that at one point had great pop on them.

I have a question. When I logged in this morning, you were advertising incentives to get people to move their characters. I believe it was a new pet and 25 black hole commendations?

My question though is thus, and it's answered nowhere in the FAQ or the forums that I can find: Do us peeps who already transferred get that payout as well?

I have a question. When I logged in this morning, you were advertising incentives to get people to move their characters. I believe it was a new pet and 25 black hole commendations?

My question though is thus, and it's answered nowhere in the FAQ or the forums that I can find: Do us peeps who already transferred get that payout as well?

Yes, every character on the qualifying servers (which includes all the US/EU destination servers) gets the reward.

Its in the announcement about the rewards.

Explain to me how now that I get the 9000 error and kicked off the sever every 2 minutes that this is a good thing?

Obviously BioWare over filled the servers and HEAVY SEVERS KICK OFF PEOPLE.

So how is not playing FUN?

So how is being told we have to transfer fun when we can not play or organize anything?

Please explain to me how this is somehow a good thing?

Edited by Metalmac

I began as a big fan of this game. I've loved Star Wars since I was 6 years old and my dad and I stood in line all night to see a premier of the first movie in 1977. And I've been a gamer since I heard those first dulcet tones from a Pong game in a Frankfurt airport arcade.

I signed up for SWTOR as early as was possible, BETA tested, offered comments, and even took some vacation days for the big launch in December. I was excited about the game, and have really enjoyed playing. Several of my WoW guildmates came with me to SWTOR and until recently we've all enjoyed ourseleves.

Then you dropped the ball. I'm talking to all you Devs. First the big Legacy rollout was a big letdown, didn't even come close to living up to the hype. The purchaseable items are for the most part mediocre and way off on the cost/benefit ratio. The Legacy gear (which we hoped would work similar to BOA gear on WoW and level with the toons) is nearly useless. But hey, its a new game, and there are bound to be kinks at the beginning. We're all experienced gamers and expected nothing less.

Then, you killed our server. The "Free Server Transfers" - which were supposedly to help balance out traffic issues -were badly, horribly, stupidly mismanaged. In our case, you took a server that was medium/heavy with good traffic and a thriving trade network, and gutted it. And worse, our only options now are to stay on a dead server, where you can neither buy nor sell anything you craft or loot... or transfer to the Shadowlands server, which is constantly "Very Heavy" or "FULL". I transferred a couple low level toons just to see what it would be like. First time I tried to log in, I had to wait 18 min in a que. Then I got several "Error 900's" within the first 30 min. That experience hasn't changed over the last 2 weeks. And even if my entire guild was willing to transfer our roughly 100 toons to this ridiculously busy server (again, our ONLY choice of servers), you've made it prohibitively difficult to do so. You won't transfer our 5 (very full) tabs worth of crafted good and materials. This forces us to try to manually move our own stuff. Since our high level toons already hold extensive inventories of gathered material, crafted material, and loot that WE CANNOT SELL ON THE TRADE MARKET BECAUSE YOU GUTTED OUR SERVER... our alternative is to create new toons, level them high enough to get ships with cargo bays, and use those as storage toons for our guild vault. Why should we have to go through all that trouble and expense, and spend the hours necessary to accomplish all of that, just to hold our guild together as a group and go play on a crappy server?

I'm a senior executive at a national development firm, and if any one of my teams handled a project the way this server transfer was handled, I'd fire the lead person, and keep firing people until somebody showed some competence.

To add insult to injury, we cannot play the game on our poor, dead, depleted server without you flashing big, red, full-screen server transfer announcement over top of our bossfights during Operations or hard-modes.

Are you TRYING to get us all to just cancel our subscriptions and move on? Because on behalf of myself and my entire guild, (and I'm sure many, many other players).... we're very nearly there.

PS. I originally posted this as a separate thread, which was promptly closed by Natannos, along with a comment encouraging me to take advantage of the wonderful free server transfers. REALLY? Did you even read the post dude?

Are you TRYING to get us all to just cancel our subscriptions and move on? Because on behalf of myself and my entire guild, (and I'm sure many, many other players).... we're very nearly there.

You can be rest assured you are far from alone. I feel the exact same way about our not-so-dead server that was gutted. It's true in 6 months I'd barely run any flashpoints I didn't solo. We also had a large, 10-hour window for solid PvP. The thing is, I was also thrust into a full server where I spend a large part of my playtime camping spawns (not just Black Hole either.. regular quests on various planets). In fact, the server every single east coast RP server was forced to transfer to already had a Standard to Heavy load every single night. I know because I researched all the RP servers myself in the two weeks leading up to the transfers. I am still completely amazed they funneled us all onto one already heavy server instead of two. Honestly, they should have left Ebon Hawk alone and just transferred us to Lord Adraas or (ugh, I forget the other one now), both of which were Standard during the week and Heavy on the weekends.

Anyway, I'm sure they aren't trying to get rid of us. That would be foolish. However, I do not feel that we matter in the slightest. It feels as though BioWare has embraced the "too big to fail" mentality.

It has taken 6 months for me to come to my own conclusions. That's usually my cut-off anyway. I always evaluate how I feel about playing a new game after 30 days, 90 days, and then the 6 month period. If I can make it 6 months and still be eager to play, I'll play for 3+ years. If not, I don't play the "sub-unsub-sub" game. I put my money where my mouth is and like other savvy consumers, my wallet expresses my true feelings.

I hope they take care of you. Since the fluff pet/BH bribe is the method they are using to try and "encourage" the last hold-outs to transfer (and I have the e-mail from BioWare to prove it, btw.. for those who still believe the "reward" label), I doubt they are planning to do anything meaningful for us for at least another month.

Good luck!

Edited by InnerPieces

Sure tranfering to a heavy populated surver is good and all and i appreciate it but me and my freinds are on different servers and with the transfer limitations we all can't be on the same server :(

This still needs remedying.

Bioware, I will gladly transfer off of my origin server if you will just let me transfer to Ebon Hawk. That's the one and only reason I'm still on Lord Ieldis.

Come on, what's the hold up?

They balanced out the servers well so their are no FULL servers and plus queues go really quick I moved to Covenant if your going to complain quit no need to cry about it.

1) I'm not crying... I'm ANNOYED.

2) I've never sat a queue yet on Darth Scion, luckily have yet to sit one on Dorga's Pleasure Barge, and never seen one on Telos.

3) Depending on when I log on, I'm seeing FULL severs...research is easy...just go to the server page. Heck, when I logged out of Droga's on Saturday the 7th (July), it was FULL!

And to top it off, Bioware(?) has locked all the "transfer from" servers that I can tell

Like I originially said, if I wanted a HEAVY server I would have rolled on one in the first place...and dealt with the lag issues. I went to medium/light servers to AVOID having to twiddle my thumbs waiting for different sections of fleet to load. It's bad enough I'm using Nar Shadda for my hub, but the lag is getting worse there too!

• 5 weeks later...

I am still waiting for the opportunity to move to a server of my choice. For me it is less about being with friends and more to do with raid times. A few months back I moved from the US west coast to the east coast. As a result my availabilty for raiding changed significantly. Now I fin it hard to find a guild that raids at a good time for me. It would be nice to move my existing toons to an east coast server where the guilds raid at a good time for me. As is, I have started a few new toons on an east coast server, but with all the time and effort I've put into the toons on the west coast server, I have taken a big step backwards with zero (0) legacy perks. Please implement character transfers ASAP. I am even willing to pay a reasonable fee to move my toons.

Thanks.

OH NO"!!!!!! this post is back quick everyone make the a comment before its gone again

Did Server Lag disappear?

They fixed some problems we will see this weekend if the entire group freezes and 2 people die.

Edited by Metalmac

• 2 weeks later...

September 1st, my wife and I are tired of waiting to be allowed to transfer to a server where our remaining friends are. Too much time invested in crafting and Legacy and no desire to start from scratch on a new server.

:mad:

Cancelling both recurring subscriptions until we can transfer to the destination of our choice.

Might have to check out Guild Wars 2.

As far as Bioware saying character transfers are complex operations... Rift had no problem figuring out how to make character transfers FREE and easy, once per week. Designing a new-improved WHEEL is a waste of resources.

September 1st, my wife and I are tired of waiting to be allowed to transfer to a server where our remaining friends are. Too much time invested in crafting and Legacy and no desire to start from scratch on a new server.

:mad:

Cancelling both recurring subscriptions until we can transfer to the destination of our choice.

Might have to check out Guild Wars 2.

As far as Bioware saying character transfers are complex operations... Rift had no problem figuring out how to make character transfers FREE and easy, once per week. Designing a new-improved WHEEL is a waste of resources.

see that bioware another subscribers go and its all thanks to the choices your managment did

nicely done hope your happy now

see that bioware another subscribers go and its all thanks to the choices your managment did

nicely done hope your happy now

Well they said phase 2 ( forced transfers ) where going to be at the end of the summer they have just under 3 weeks to do this ( sept 20th ? ) , those 2 subs knew this ( or should know this ) and they are after paid transfers to where they want to go. That sounds like phase 3+ so that wasn't ever going to happen by sept 1st , so not sure why they chose to leave now. Still I want my Rubat crystal characters forced moved now really as I want to know were they are going to live and so I can create my remaining 4 characters.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• 3 months later...
Please everyone, if you are one of the thousands of subscribers who has been posting about this, please keep all these threads alive. Unfortunately thousands upon thousands of requests and complaints from PAYING subscribers is not enough to get BW to move on this, or provide with anything above and beyond a generic response. Perhaps realizing that literally tens of thousands of dollars stand to be made and more importantly THOUSANDS of happy customers will be satiated, will be enough to get BW to do something for their customers. I sure wouldn't hold my breath for this.