Remove Bolster from endgame PvP. Please

cashogy_reborn

in the name of whatever you think is holy, kill this idea now. the concept was a very good one, but the execution of the idea has been absolutely horrendous. original player feedback was basically ignored, and every subsequent fix reveals another problem with the system.

so remove it from level 55 PvP. at level 55, auto-mail every player a set of Recruit gear that is 10% below Partisan gear. boom done, everyone has no reason to not be on a level playing field for PvP.

it will make everyone's life easier. just do it

Edited by cashogy_reborn

in the name of whatever you think is holy, kill this idea now. the concept was a very good one, but the execution of the idea has been absolutely horrendous. original player feedback was basically ignored, and every subsequent fix reveals another problem with the system.

so remove it from level 55 PvP. at level 55, auto-mail every player a set of Recruit gear that is 10% below Partisan gear. boom done, everyone has no reason to not be on a level playing field for PvP.

it will make everyone's life easier. just do it

Sorry Cashology. Pvp isn't endgame content. It is a mini game so PVE players have something to do when locked out of raids. I thought you knew this already.

Jenna'syyde

10% lower? No. What they should do is have a set that is equivalent to what Elite War Hero gear was and give it out for free. After every expansion the top pvp gear from the previous should become free. Simple. Get rid of this bolster crap. Period.

I agree with the OP's idea. BW has had months to work on Bolster and it's still a bugged mess. It has no place in 55's anyway, as a free set that is 5-10% less effective than Partisan would accomplish BW's stated goal(reducing the gear gap) without trivializing PvP gear progression.

Just give everyone a free set of WH or EWH gear(with expertise and a level 55 req.) and allow people to progress from there. If PvE players want to wear their raid gear instead of the free set, it makes no sense to give them expertise on top of their other superior stats. Raids and FPs don't buff the stats of PvP gear, so why should it work vice-versa?

Keep Bolster for lowby WZs only, and fix the gorram exploits. Bolster should be used purely to negate level gaps. Gear gaps should be negated by giving people more competitive gear.

And that way, people can tell what their stats will look like before going into a WZ and swapping out their gear. It's also not exploitable like Bolster is.

Edited by Kirin

When I change my EWH mods and armorings (without expertise now) to Partisan ones (with expertise), my summary bolstered experise drop DOWN. :eek:

Intended? :eek:

Did you change all of it? From what I can tell gear below Arkanian (purple 69) gets bolstered to expertise equal to Partisan, so you plain old EWH gear with no expertise already has maximum expertise. When you swap some of the mods out, it becomes mixed gear and gets nothing from bolster and is strictly worse.

Even blue 66 gear seems to get at least 99% of the expertise on Partisan, and they've really generous item budget on some slots (implant/ear) not to mention availability. I'm not sure what happens in the case of purple 66.

10% lower? No. What they should do is have a set that is equivalent to what Elite War Hero gear was and give it out for free. After every expansion the top pvp gear from the previous should become free. Simple. Get rid of this bolster crap. Period.

Yes, entry-level PvP gear should be equal to baseline ground gear... with the exception that ground gear can be optimized, and thus is a much better investment in terms of augmentation and set bonus.

And I agree that level 55 PvP doesn't really need Bolster. It's nice to avoid people in levelling greens pulling their team down, but right now, in its current exploitable and bugged state, Bolster causes a lot more harm than good.

Edited by Helig

just mail everyone with a set of recruit gear 2.0 with same expertise as partisan and with 5% less stats , not moddable , and no set bonus. done fixed.

Why mail free gear they can even encourage crafing by making pvp base gear craftable ;)

just mail everyone with a set of recruit gear 2.0 with same expertise as partisan and with 5% less stats , not moddable , and no set bonus. done fixed.

Simple solution that would work but hey, it's BW so don't expect logic from them.

Did you change all of it? From what I can tell gear below Arkanian (purple 69) gets bolstered to expertise equal to Partisan, so you plain old EWH gear with no expertise already has maximum expertise. When you swap some of the mods out, it becomes mixed gear and gets nothing from bolster and is strictly worse.

Even blue 66 gear seems to get at least 99% of the expertise on Partisan, and they've really generous item budget on some slots (implant/ear) not to mention availability. I'm not sure what happens in the case of purple 66.

With purple 66 (Basic Comm gear) and purple 69 (Elite Comm gear), bolster gives tons less expertise and next to nothing for stats. It's far better to wear your old "EWH turned Dreadguard" set, you'll get a slight stat increase, plus near maxed expertise. Even using a new 66 purple hilt only, dropped my expertise on my old EWH DPS set from 2k, down to 1799. My tank set with a mix of 61, 66, 69 gear gets about 1700. The healer I play with has slightly more higher grade gear and only gets 1630 expertise. The best gains I've seen so far has been using Planetary comms to get Rakata gear from the Makeb planet comm vendor, and rolling with that. My scoundrel rolls with that set and gets near maxed expertise, plus about 30-40% increase in stats (his hp goes from 17k to almost 25k), which seems to be right on par with the post-patch EWH statwise. Wish I had more credits, because I still got my old BM mods that still have expertise on them (they were not patched with WH/EWH), but I can't afford to pull mods and play with them right now.

In all honesty, they should remove the patched changes to WH/EWH, remove Bolster from 55 warzones, and give people the option of either using their pre-2.0 pvp gear or getting a free Recruit Mk-3 set. The only issue with WH/EWH was bolster not working correctly with expertise but this is a meaningless point in pre 55 warzones because you can easily obtain Rakata grade from planetary comm vendor, and shelve your old PVP gear til 55. The switch from BM/WH to Recruit Mk-2/WH/EWH was a much better idea (aside from Recruit being crap, which can be fixed with changing the stats), than trying to use bolster at 55.

I found temporary better setup (when i dont get full conqueror min/max) is old my EWH min/max gear, with partisan implants and relics, and conqueror mainhand (and probably offhand, but still dont get it). It give you around ~1850 bolstered expertise, with good damage boost of old EWH. All augumented with 55 lvl purples overkill augments.

Trying wear Partisan earpiece or old EWH relics, or Partisan pieces of gear just makes my expertise / damage worse (but slightly increased endurance)...

Edited by TonyDragonflame

/signed agree with OP.

I hope this whole debacle isnt a case of the Devs getting Bolster working fine and some middle management cretin with no common sense and the sun shining out of his arse kind of person walks in and wants this stuff changin purely on his/her whim.

I agree, remove Bolster - but I suggest a different approach to the Expertise issue:

- Give every player an innate 1500 Expertise

- At 55, add the players Valor rank to that 1500 (cap of 1600 natural "Expertise")

- Gear Expertise is negated until the natural cap is hit

- Once your gear exceeds 1500, whichever value is greater is always applied

This accomplishes a few things imo - makes the extra Expertise from gear well worth getting (additional 500-600), and it allows PvEers to enter with exceedingly high stats and a very good amount of Expertise. It also improves "organic" world PvP by giving players with or without PvP gear, at least a fighting chance.

I agree, remove Bolster - but I suggest a different approach to the Expertise issue:

- Give every player an innate 1500 Expertise

- At 55, add the players Valor rank to that 1500 (cap of 1600 natural "Expertise")

- Gear Expertise is negated until the natural cap is hit

- Once your gear exceeds 1500, whichever value is greater is always applied

This accomplishes a few things imo - makes the extra Expertise from gear well worth getting (additional 500-600), and it allows PvEers to enter with exceedingly high stats and a very good amount of Expertise. It also improves "organic" world PvP by giving players with or without PvP gear, at least a fighting chance.

I'm not a huge fan of this for open world, I feel like - especially on a PvP server - you're out in the world, you need to carefully decide your gear choices. I could probably be talked into something like this though.

For warzones though? Sounds fine to me.

Edited by islander

I'm not a huge fan of this for open world, I feel like - especially on a PvP server - you're out in the world, you need to carefully decide your gear choices. I could probably be talked into something like this though.

For warzones though? Sounds fine to me.

Oh, I completely agree that gear SHOULD matter in the OW. I loved the choice I had to make prior to 2.0 in BH/SecX where I needed to decide between my 61/63 PvE gear and my E/WH gear...to me, the choice was easy, I went E/WH every time. The slight amount of time I saved killing mindless NPCs was nothing compared to the protection 1900 Expertise offered me.

It's not a "perfect" solution - I think the whole PvE/PvP gear thing is stupid tbh- but it's quick, easy and it still gives the player wearing PvP gear an advantage. 1500 Expertise should still lose to anyone wearing 1900+. Maybe 1500 innate is too much, but I thought it was a good place to start.

I don't think we will get recruit gear because PvErs used to complain it trivialized entry level gearing. With the nerfs to end game crafting and pvp item level it seems the priority is keep the gear gate intact. This is why I really think we got bolster hoisted upon us.

Bolster has no business in Ranked warzones, it's idiotic that endgame pvp has such a system.

I would be satisfied with removal from ranked, removal from regs I don't see happening