Sith rule of two

Ever since darth bane started the rule of two and there is the sith in this order that we know that followed. What if there was a second branch of sith that followed the same rule at the same time and they wanted to stay hidden and wait for the known branch to fall. They could have been sith that unknowingly to darth bane there was a pair of sith that survived the same war and had the same idea and followed it but knew that they could beat darth bane and zannah and decided to wait for their time strike? Do you think that this could be added to the EU?

Since Star Wars is entirely made up...of course it COULD be added to the EU.

will it? who knows. does it really matter? I've enjoyed just about every EU story that I've read..but they do some really stupid stuff....Luuke, Clone Palps, and Cyborg Maul i'm looking at you...this would be among them.

would kinda defeat the whole purpose of the Darth Bane creating the "rule of two" storyline

Ever since darth bane started the rule of two and there is the sith in this order that we know that followed. What if there was a second branch of sith that followed the same rule at the same time and they wanted to stay hidden and wait for the known branch to fall. They could have been sith that unknowingly to darth bane there was a pair of sith that survived the same war and had the same idea and followed it but knew that they could beat darth bane and zannah and decided to wait for their time strike? Do you think that this could be added to the EU?

see technically Banes rule of two Sith were unknown remember that the prequel jedi believed the sith to be gone for 1000 years when Bane started this whole thing so Banes sith WERE hidden from the people until it culminated in sidious taking over and doing the First Great Jedi Purge (the second being Darth Krayt) unfortunately he missed a few while Vader (and Vader's apprentice) wiped out most of the rest there were still 2 that remained and 2 children that he didn't even know about (ironically to beat the rule of 2 sith the Jedi used the same rule think about it 2 Jedi Obi-wan and Yoda the master was Yoda and Obi-wan the apprentice Obi-wan then starts Luke out as a bit of an acolyte and then gives his life making Luke the new apprentice and Yoda the master ultimately culminating in the greatest Jedi to ever live).

Edited by tunewalker

Ever since darth bane started the rule of two and there is the sith in this order that we know that followed. What if there was a second branch of sith that followed the same rule at the same time and they wanted to stay hidden and wait for the known branch to fall.

Er, technically that's what happened already, the Sith Empire Revan and the Exile fought collapsed, and the current Sith Empire Attacked.

They could have been sith that unknowingly to darth bane there was a pair of sith that survived the same war and had the same idea and followed it but knew that they could beat darth bane and zannah and decided to wait for their time strike? Do you think that this could be added to the EU?

Well, since Revan created the Holocron that gave Darth Bane the idea for the rule of two, it could happen, but it's not likely, and a bit pointless. The Sith show up when the Sith show up, trying to create a mechanism for it is besides the point, and you end up with endless layers of Sith waiting for the above layers to fail.

Sidious' was the second Jedi Purge, nicknamed the Great Jedi Purge, the first was the Dark Wars.

Oh whoops didn't know I thought both the one that sidious did and the one Krayt did were both known as Great Jedi Purge just sidious's was one and Krayts was 2

If the rule of Two were true and palpatine believed it to be true that the power was shared out amongst dark side users then wouldn't it work the same way for the light side? If so palpatine shot him self in the foot by destroying the jedi order as by the time of rotj that would mean luke had all the power of the light side.

If the rule of Two were true and palpatine believed it to be true that the power was shared out amongst dark side users then wouldn't it work the same way for the light side? If so palpatine shot him self in the foot by destroying the jedi order as by the time of rotj that would mean luke had all the power of the light side.

Well actually if you read some of the EU Palpatine had MANY darkside users under his control. They just were not SITH.

See he obeyed the rule of two with himself and Vader. But he had plenty of inquisitors that were basically darkside jedi. Infact Jerec was one if you look him up. And he had darkside devotees who were sorcerers.

So if you think about it Bane was correct, have only two sith, but you can have LEGIONS of darksiders, who maybe could continue and have the rule of two intact.

How this senario there was a sith that survived the same war as darth bane and that sith also studied darth revan and believed in the rule of two. That sith discovered that bane and zannah also survived and that sith knew he couldn't beat them. So he obtained a apprentice and decided to go to a nearby galaxy (maybe the rishi maze) and construct their own empire.

How this senario there was a sith that survived the same war as darth bane and that sith also studied darth revan and believed in the rule of two. That sith discovered that bane and zannah also survived and that sith knew he couldn't beat them. So he obtained a apprentice and decided to go to a nearby galaxy (maybe the rishi maze) and construct their own empire.

Couldn't have for 2 reasons.

1. Bane destroyed the holocron

2. The temple he found it in was basically demolished.

Well actually if you read some of the EU Palpatine had MANY darkside users under his control. They just were not SITH.

See he obeyed the rule of two with himself and Vader. But he had plenty of inquisitors that were basically darkside jedi. Infact Jerec was one if you look him up. And he had darkside devotees who were sorcerers.

So if you think about it Bane was correct, have only two sith, but you can have LEGIONS of darksiders, who maybe could continue and have the rule of two intact.

Thanks for the info, I haven't read much of the EU, just the odd bit here and there.

The Galactic Empire?

But was that actually a result of the rule (given that sidious came pretty close to completely ignoring it)

Did it actually result in an ever strengthening order?

I know this comes close to the tenebrious-plaguesis-sidious ultimate sith debate but I would have thought that you still have the same issues of the apprentice not learning everything from the master before killing him and perhaps the master purposefully withholding info so as to delay the inevitable.

But was that actually a result of the rule (given that sidious came pretty close to completely ignoring it)

Did it actually result in an ever strengthening order?

I know this comes close to the tenebrious-plaguesis-sidious ultimate sith debate but I would have thought that you still have the same issues of the apprentice not learning everything from the master before killing him and perhaps the master purposefully withholding info so as to delay the inevitable.

Yes, you are probably right that over time the Sith lost knowledge because apprentices would kill their masters before they learned everything from them. But, if every apprentice was similar to Zannah then what was lost would be replaced by different knowledge - Zannah knew things about Sith Sorcery that Bane could not comprehend.

In addition, Bane realized that trying to conquer the Republic from the outside was all but impossible. His Rule of Two was implemented so that the Sith to continue existing, in relative secrecy, and build a power base that would eventually tear down the Republic from within. Sidious was successful in that goal - the Republic was swept away and replaced by a Galactic Empire.

Makes more sense looking at it like that,

I was always thinking of it from a purely force based viewpoint. Power and knowledge in the force, not in the universe at large.

Even from a purely force based viewpoint the argument can be made that the Order of the Sith Lords became more powerful.

Think about this, during the New Sith Wars Bane was very arguably the most powerful Sith of Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness even though he was relatively new to discovering his force sensitivity. That is a big statement. In the Bane trilogy all that is discussed is how Bane thinks Kaan's philosophy and order weakens the Sith. Whether or not that is true is debatable but the FACTS are that the Brotherhood of Darkness maintained its existence and war with the Republic for 10 years and the order was exclusively destroyed by one of its own Sith members not the Republic/Jedi. How many previous Sith Orders/War Campaigns can claim such feats? The orders and wars of Naga Sadow, Exar Kun, and Revan/Malak come to mind as those that such feats do not apply.

Think now of how much more power in the Force Bane will accumulate with an additional 20 years. Then think of how powerful Zannah must be to defeat him, then so on and so forth down the line.

Edited by sell-dog

the assumption of course being that defeat comes only from greater strength.

I would argue it comes more often/just as often from a weaker but surprising source, especially since the master wouldn't expect it. If the apprentice waits too long the master will know he is about to be attacked since thats the rule.

the assumption of course being that defeat comes only from greater strength.

I would argue it comes more often/just as often from a weaker but surprising source, especially since the master wouldn't expect it. If the apprentice waits too long the master will know he is about to be attacked since thats the rule.

Your post reflects something I've thought about before and brought up as an aside question on a previous thread but didn't gain any traction.

As you mention, in the Bane trilogy Zannah beats Bane in an open duel but we see both Plag and Palp blindside their respective masters in the Darth Plagueis novel. Of course my first thought was that by doing this they're being wussies. Then the argument of risk management was made and also if one considers the fact that Plag and Palp were very public and important figures in their alter-egos, if they were to incur a visible injury or whatever during a fight it would surely get attention so it does make sense to do a sneak attack.

I however pose the following question. When Bane reorganized the Sith to be based upon cunning, secrecy, and deception, can the argument be made that the Sith evolved so much under these principles that the master should always be weary of apprentice and thus a blindside attack isn't so much "wussing out" as it once was and is now a very acceptable and practical power play under Bane's Sith Order?

Edited by sell-dog

I however pose the following question. When Bane reorganized the Sith to be based upon cunning, secrecy, and deception, can the argument be made that the Sith evolved so much under these principles that the master should always be weary of apprentice and thus a blindside attack isn't so much "wussing out" as it once was and is now a very acceptable and practical power play under Bane's Sith Order?

I'd say yes, acceptable and encouraged but I don't think it addresses the issue that it can easily introduce weakness and loss of knowledge.

You've only got 1 guy looking for another sith, another candidate, how can he have much of a chance of finding stronger candidates in such a large galaxy and he's then got to spend a large chunk of time training before he knows if he will be surpassed, it's also almost in his interest not to pick too good a candidate.