A Question Concerning Weapons And Gear

Tromalantz

Hello:

I'm coming from WoW, and am trying to understand the dynamics of weapons and gear in this game.

In WoW there is green gear and weapons (common items) blue (uncommon items that were and upgrade from common), white (heirloom which is good until you reached level cap) and purple (epic.. some epic items being better than others).

In this game you have green items (which seem to be common), blue (which seem to be uncommon and an upgrade from common items), I hear that there are purple items (would that be the equivalent of epic gear), but one thing that is different is orange gear (which can be upgraded).

Is some orange gear better than other orange gear? How long can you "upgrade and orange item for? For instance: my first light saber is an orange item. I received that item at level 9. Can I continue to upgrade that light saber until I reach my level cap, or are there limits to the extent that it can be upgraded? Will I, at some point in time, wind up having to discard that level 9 light saber with something better? Can an orange, blue or purple item surpass the quality of an orange item?

A reply would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Despite the color orange being associated with legendary items of other games, orange in SWTOR is simply an item that is fully moddable. In and of itself, an orange piece of gear has no stats (although it may have a base level requirement or other criteria for wearing). Orange pieces can be modded all the way through end-game, so if you find a particular orange item you absolutely love, you'll never need to be rid of it. In fact, sometimes the orange gear, with blue and purple mods, is far superior to anything else you can get for your level.

Orange gear is the equivelent of Heirloom gear...kinda. In WOW, heirloom gear automatically got better each level. In SW:TOR, Orange gear can be upgraded and will be good gear throughout your career (as long as you keep it updated).

Like heirloom gear, you will sometime find better drops/mission rewards so you hold onto the Orange gear until you can get it upgraded and go back to it.