Am I In The Wrong?

I was playing a flashpoint with a group, and its the first time something like this happened to me....

Im a DPS Commando, and throughout the instance I was DPSing things, grabbing aggro and stuff... Towards the end the group members got hostile and started calling me names and such, chiding me for not allowing the tank to... TANK...

I have grouped with others before and never came across a group thats soooo uptight regarding the whole thing. Really not a fun experience. I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.

When I played other mmos, Im usually the tank, notably Lord Of The Rings Online. As a tank I dont go screaming @ DPSers who out aggro me as long as you aren the cause of a wipe or anything.

So, any comments?

Tanking can be a lot more difficult in this game than others due to the lack of attacks having build in threat.

If other games I loved having someone like that chain pulling as I grabbed aggro. Here is a little differant...

Speaking as a Jug tank, single target there is not to many issues, but when chain pulls are coming, AoE threat is near non existant and can be frustrating and put more strain on the healer when doing what you explained..

Edited by Inasogard

yeah, it really depends on the level range. If your tank has enough moves to regain threat if it should come to that or your healer has enough healing to keep everyone alive it should be fine. But at lower levels it can be very hard on both the tank and the healer.

I was playing a flashpoint with a group, and its the first time something like this happened to me....

Im a DPS Commando, and throughout the instance I was DPSing things, grabbing aggro and stuff... Towards the end the group members got hostile and started calling me names and such, chiding me for not allowing the tank to... TANK...

I have grouped with others before and never came across a group thats soooo uptight regarding the whole thing. Really not a fun experience. I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.

When I played other mmos, Im usually the tank, notably Lord Of The Rings Online. As a tank I dont go screaming @ DPSers who out aggro me as long as you aren the cause of a wipe or anything.

So, any comments?

I think you are in the wrong. Just let the tank do his job. I usually attack the same target as the tank, just so it's harder for me to grab aggro instead.`

From a tank point of view:

It depends on the flashpoint, the level, and the outcome. If pulling aggro wasn't causing deaths, or causing the healer too much work, then it's not an issue. HOWEVER if the tank asked you to try not to pull aggro earlier in the instance, was probably better to do so before they turned nasty.

Tbh some of the 50 HM FPs we know sprint through, I barely tank at all, other than taking initial aggro, since our Sorcerers can just rip it off me anyway. Things die fast in most FPs, and don't OMGINSTAKILL anyone. So if, for example you were doing something easy, then they were probably a little uptight.

If it caused any deaths or panic situations, or you'd been asked nicely first and just ignored them, then yes you were in the wrong, and should pay attention to the group dynamic.

I thought we are doing great when we blow through mobs after mobs... the only time I let the tank do his job is when theres a major boss around. Thing is, I knew what i was doing, there wasnt a single death, let alone a wipe, we are progressing fast.... So I really dont understand the outburst from my group.

If the primary reason why there were no deaths or wipes was because both the tank and healer were really on the ball despite having to work extra hard just to make sure everyone stayed upright, then you're in the wrong.

If the entire mission was a cakewalk for everyone involved, then they overreacted.

I play as an Assassin tank and I've realized that in many situations I just make it worse by trying to control all the mobs of a large pull. The damage dealers should be more than capable of taking care of normal and weak mobs without taking too much damage and my regular healer (Operative) prefers to throw an extra hot on a DD rather than having to spam heal me because the entire pull is hitting me.

Of course if the DDs start breaking CCed targets I get a bit annoyed since it can be a pain to get aggro if I'm not the initiator and taunt is on CD.

My advice: Always let the tank initiate a pull and give him/her at least 2-3 sec before you start AoE nuking. Don't overnuke strong and elite mobs. Don't break CCed targets before the tank. And don't worry too much if you get aggro on a few normal or weak mobs because you should be able to kill them off before the healer REALLY needs to heal you.

If the primary reason why there were no deaths or wipes was because both the tank and healer were really on the ball despite having to work extra hard just to make sure everyone stayed upright, then you're in the wrong.

If the entire mission was a cakewalk for everyone involved, then they overreacted.

My advice: Always let the tank initiate a pull and give him/her at least 2-3 sec before you start AoE nuking. Don't overnuke strong and elite mobs. Don't break CCed targets before the tank. And don't worry too much if you get aggro on a few normal or weak mobs because you should be able to kill them off before the healer REALLY needs to heal you.

My sentiments exactly.

Yeah you were wrong.

There's a couple things that make tanking trickier in this game than in "that other game".

1. Ranged mobs are the majority not the minority. This means that aoe tank scenarios, a tank often has to hold onto mobs at range with poor ranged threat ability. Couple this with fairly long cool downs, and you as a dps need to start being more careful: focus down targets, nuke out weak/reg mobs fast, etc.

2. Threat is dps based. We get a threat multipler, but the base threat being generated prior to thr stance multiplier is the same a dps would be generating with poor gear and an unoptinized spec. This means that it is your responsibility to watch your targets more carefully. It also means that it's more challenging for the tank to "rip" threat off dps when they dot have a taunt available.

Dps in this game need to be far more careful. It's also irritating that tanks don't look as "great" when they play as in that other game simply ecause mechanics are designed to make it more challenging and teamwork demanding.

Just go on the weak/normal mobs first, I never bother with them when I'm tanking, theyre just a hassle to get to and they die in a few hits anyway. After they're killed go on the tanks target or just pick up a strong mob yourself.

As long as you follow this and kill weakest -> strongest it's a cakewalk, and makes it easier for the tank because tanking a pack of 5-6 ranged mobs is just impossible anyway.

if u pull mobs the tank isnt targeting, what happens next is on you. if u kill it okay, if you wipe the group, its your fault entirely.

i play an assassin so tanking anything in my dps spec isnt gonna happen, thus i let the tank tank.

if i had heavy armor and it was a normal dungeon, id screw around. on hard mode id target tank targets only.

Oh, and while we're on the topic: STOP IT WITH THE !@#^ING KNOCKBACKS!

Seriously, every time I get mobs positioned just where I need them, some nitwit comes in and scatters them all over so I have to bounce around to keep agro.

Right thanks for the feedback guys...

Guess I shall check out the group dynamics next time before rolling in... I usually take out adds/weak/standard mobs first, if not when i start aggroing the boss i will just scale back my dps doing just Hammer shots (as you guys already mentioned that even though I was a tank in "the other game" but not a tank in this game, I cant really tell how diffcult it is to tank)

... in my case described healer was doing a superb job in healing us all, none of us in a danger of dying so im not too sure how hard they were trying...

Shall watch it next time :D

P.S. Still, I find the group a little too uptight especially one fella... oh well... Just glad that most groups are still fun to play with

From a healer's standpoint:

I was healing Crushing the Jedi Freedom Fighters on Nar Shaddaa last night on my 23 Sorcerer with a 24 Assassin tank and a 24 Marauder with Vette DPSing. On that mission, you have to go to a Heroic area with packs of three or four level 21 and 22 Elites. Even with CC, the tank really didn't have enough AOE threat to keep an entire pack on him, but it was fine because the healers in this game (if they know what they're doing) are insane. Even with multiple Elites a level or two below our level beating on our DPS, we only had Vette die a couple times (I had trouble tracking her health and targeting her because the portrait of other people's companions on the party frame is so small).

It seems like most Flashpoints have either small groups of Strongs or big groups of Standards and Weaks with maybe a Strong in it. As long as the tank picks up the strongest member or two of the pack, DPS (especially ranged DPS) should have no problems with killing the groups. On bosses, definitely let the tank take threat, with your ranged DPS killing the little adds that some of them call.

If you're talking about chain pulling, it's probably ok as long as you have a good healer, but you shouldn't do it through the entire flashpoint. Even with the bottomless well that is the Sorcerer's Force bar, it's nice to have a second to Seethe every once in a while (for the health lost to Consumption).

Early game tanking and flashpoints are whatever, but I can tell you as a tank at level 50 in HM flashpoints if your tank is trying or even succeeding at holding threat on every mob in every pack he is doing it wrong.

Due to the nature of stuns, ministuns, and the way normal mobs do almost as much damage as strong and elite mobs but die so fast, by far the easiest way for a group to handle things, on both the healer and the tank, is for the tank to just focus on holding agro on strong and elite mobs, and the DPS should be handling normal mobs first, taking their agro themselves, and killing them before they can do any significant damage.

Even strong mobs should be able to easily be soloed by a decent DPS before much damage is done, with appropriate use of stuns, interrupts, etc.

The tank has 2 major tasks, making sure very mob is at least tagged (mobs on the healer is the only big threat taboo really) and holding agro over the elites, and strongs if possible.

As long as you were targetting the mobs in the order of weakest to strongest, you were doing it right, taking some agro, if you were pulling agro on strongs and elites while the tank was focusing on normals after having tagged the other mobs, well then it was your fault.

Honestly you are getting attacked because many people have not adjusted to the fact that this game is a bit different than other games. It is not uncommon for a DPS to tank adds in this game. The game seems to be designed for it. As a healer, as long as you are not pulling strongs or elites off the tanks I am perfectly okay with you having aggro on your own target. The faster we get through trash the better.

Basically, if you are not inconveniencing me by pulling a mob off the tank that is going to cause you to need serious healing... by all means blow all your cooldowns and get us through the trash as quickly as possible.

So, any comments?

If the tank doesn't know you, and you don't even take the time to talk to him about it, yes, you ARE in the wrong.

It's really stressfull to try to control mobs when a trigger happy dps runs about.

Just because YOU felt it was smooth doesn't meant the tank and healer had the same experience.

Maybe they had to react a lot faster to keep pulls under control or at least were under the impression they had to.

Further the group actually asked you to paly with them, which you refused.

From what I can tell, they had a different style to do it THEY agreed on and you pulled off your little one man I do what I want show.

100% your fault and you were , in fact, a pure *****hole.

Whats his name from the A-Team said it best..."I love it when a good plan comes together". Now in my opinion the "plan" is to get through the instance perfectly..where mobs are CC'd awesomely, the tank holds aggro perfectly, everyone avoids avoidable damage, and the dps never pull aggro unless specifically asked to off tank. This gives everyone in the group a goal to strive for and without the chance of personal failure, what fun is the game? If dps does not try to let the tank do their job how do they define personal failure? or is failure just something left to tanks and heals? Of course the "perfect" run rarely happens. But as long as everyone is genuinely trying the mistakes can actually add quite a bit of fun and excitement to the run.

It's like golf, no such thing as a perfect game but the fun is always striving for it and trying to improve towards a goal with each time out. There are times when power is needed, times when some critical thinking is needed, and times when some finesse is needed. But if you just go out and whack the ball as hard as you can every time and only define success as simply managing to get the ball in all 18 holes (or simply downing each boss, with no tact) well then thats just not good golf is it? lol

Edited by Symbiose