Update 1.2 Class Balances and the Nitty Gritty Details

Coldin

The problems they have in this game are unique to MMOs that is my point. They're also not problems that even experienced MMO makers fix (game balance - what MMO is perfectly balanced? none).

They actually have a pretty good balance in this game, honestly. I don't expect 1.2 to bring major nerfs or buffs, because neither is needed.

If you think theres good class balance in the game, you should really try playing the game instead of AFKing in the republic/imperial fleet.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think theres good class balance in the game, you should really try playing the game instead of AFKing in the republic/imperial fleet.

What are you having trouble with?

Be specific too, instead of trying to resort to pathetic personal insults.

You people are a little too spoiled. Wait til the PTS before you extrapolate information based off the wording of a Dev Post. Patience is a virtue. We aren't going to get any more information out this beyond the face value of what is written.

Patience is indeed a virtue, but it's march 16th and it hasn't hit the PTS. From the wording on the PTF, It doesn't look like it will be on it til the end of next week, giving only *an estimate* a good WEEK of testing for a new wz, a new op, a new flashpoint, and all the other changes that are taking place. From my experiences, bugs and fight issues can not be completely solved in a week, Especially when you throw in the fact that they have said they changed the skill trees so drastically that we are all getting a free respec, even going so far as to say in the IGN article that some people will have to relearn how to play their class.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and it get's deployed sometime in the next few days as I am patiently waiting to help test out the new changes myself.

Here is the Problem i have. This patch looks great but this should have already been out at launch. Take WOW for example i dont like the game never did but its been out 10 years right? Yet Star Wars lacks end game and more. Once you hit 50 there is nothing to do. You can not launch a game and say well its better than WOW was at launch. That was 10 years ago. The game needed to already have legacy they pitched from the start. Hey my legacy is 19 whats yours? What about the people that are new to the game? They will be far behind. There are no guild vaults yes they are coming should have already been out. Nobody likes hutt ball. IIum is a Joke. All they have to do is make it so you can pick what pvp you want to queue for. This is not that hard to figure out. That all being said I am willing to stick with teh game till 1.2. If It does not live up i believe i am down with star wars. Hard to say but true.

Here is the Problem i have. This patch looks great but this should have already been out at launch. Take WOW for example i dont like the game never did but its been out 10 years right? Yet Star Wars lacks end game and more. Once you hit 50 there is nothing to do. You can not launch a game and say well its better than WOW was at launch. That was 10 years ago. The game needed to already have legacy they pitched from the start. Hey my legacy is 19 whats yours? What about the people that are new to the game? They will be far behind. There are no guild vaults yes they are coming should have already been out. Nobody likes hutt ball. IIum is a Joke. All they have to do is make it so you can pick what pvp you want to queue for. This is not that hard to figure out. That all being said I am willing to stick with teh game till 1.2. If It does not live up i believe i am down with star wars. Hard to say but true.

WoW hasn't been out 10 years yet but i hear what you are say..

sadly the issue is not with the lack of content at level 50 as much as the lack of things to do so you level to 50 WAY too fast

some will cry that this is unfair to casual gamers but even the casuals are leaving the game do to poor balance and lack of content

like Rift you follow almost the exact same route to 50 every time (main story is the only variable for the quest leveling)

already many servers are impossible to find groups for heroic material before 50 since the only thing you really want are commendations and you can get 1 for each mission you complete so why bother with heroics? is the attitude especially as some classes can do the +2 content with minimal issues while other classes can't even come close to soloing them.

the game i know will never even come close to leveling as companions for PvE throw the whole thing out of balance and since every class gets different companions at differing times the balance cannot exist.

sadly i am beginning to believe that this is going to be another foot note game that "could have been".

Hello Georg,

Still, we won't be the arbiter of whether a change makes a skill worthwhile or no longer worthwhile for your build, you can make that decision for yourself, hence the free respec.

Devs are obviously arbiters of whether a change in game mechanics is worthwhile, provides a quality of life upgrade (or downgrade), is an evolutionary adjustment, or improves balance (up or down), so...

There are balance adjustments to all classes in Game Update 1.2.

Details should be available as soon as 1.2 hits the Public Test Server.

I will abstain from discussing details before that happens for the simple fact that without having the big picture (e.g. the sum of all changes), discussion is moot.

-- Georg

Now that the details are out, and discussion is no longer moot, I was hoping you could express "the big picture" in terms of class balance and quality of life upgrades.

Reading through the various Class threads, opinions are varying quite a bit...but most seem to be negative (although, I would suspect that to be the case as those who don't like change are more prone to voicing their opinion).

But I would really like to know just what you felt to be "the big picture" -- and is this the reaction you were hoping to receive from the community? I realize this is still PTS, so I'm assuming you'll be taking feedback and reaction into account before these changes go live? Or are the PTS notes set in stone and the PTS is just for working out bugs...not actually testing of "the big picture"?

This is the kind of thing that will drive subscribers away in a hurry. I already suffered through the SWG Combat Balance/Combat Upgrade/Combat Revamp and then the NGE. I watched as all of my items were "balanced" several times over. I was forced to "respec" upon logging in how many times?

Have we already forgotten why the previous MMO with the Star Wars IP failed? Let me repeat that again. A MMO with the STAR WARS IP. FAILED. MISERABLY. Remember why? Should we just start working on another EMU?

I agree completely and lived it with you brother.

There are balance adjustments to all classes in Game Update 1.2.

Details should be available as soon as 1.2 hits the Public Test Server.

I will abstain from discussing details before that happens for the simple fact that without having the big picture (e.g. the sum of all changes), discussion is moot.

-- Georg

Are you still abstaining? I just want to know what your big picture is? It's a sincere question.

As a customer, I just want to know what your thought process is as Lead Combat Designer. I left the question open-ended because I don't want to steer or corral you. If you want me to be more specific, I can be. I would just prefer to have unbiased insight into your big picture "design" ... in particular with Patch 1.2, but as well as moving forward.

By actually giving the community insight into your design and development processes, it might actually help the community return more meaningful feedback...that will, in turn, help you and your staff with design and development.

• 3 weeks later...
Even though this company has not done to well on this game on some places, they didn't do to bad on this beginning MMO. I give them Kudo's for making every effort to respond and update to complaints and suggestions to their current subscribers. Every MMO at the beginning will have it's ups and downs. Practice makes perfect. I very much enjoy this game and I know many others who do. Everyone has the right to leave this game, not everyone is going to like it. But what I don't agree on is someone leaving the game because the company is "failing" or their not updating quick enough or ruining things with upcoming updates. How do you know its going to ruin the game? Why not give them a chance. I played a little WoW but I quit because I simply did not enjoy it. Nothing against the game. But I also talked with other WoW players saying that company also ruined the game due to updates and complete changes. These people that said that today are still currently subscribed to play WoW. What I'm saying is give this beginning MMO a chance to buff this game before making a decision about leaving or making remarks on how the company "failed".