Developer Update – Terror from Beyond

CourtneyWoods

"One of the problems of other MMOs combat is that you often have scenarios where you have multiple heroes beating on a single enemy. That just isn't very heroic." -- James Ohlen, Game Director, Bioware

Epic fight ganking huge bosses, feels very much like SW for sure.

Edited by Deewe

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will this update be coming?

Hey everyone, just to be clear on what was said during the presentation - Terror from Beyond, a new Operation, is on its way next month, and we have more content updates coming after it, including the new Warzone and Space Combat Missions. We have lots of exciting new content coming!

There you guys go. Again.

I'm really disappointed in what this game is turning into. Really? This is the direction that you want to take swtor in?? I had such high hopes that something based on the kotor universe (which has phenomenal lore and potential) combined with mmo style pvp would always be fun, but it just isn't anymore. Honestly doing anything other than questing through the class story (for characters I haven't gotten to 50) is incredibly repetitive and almost boring. Warzones are now determined by which team has the weakest pugs, which is embarrassing. Rated warzones are premature, at best, without cross server queues. There just aren't enough people playing them to make it fun for any reasonable length of time, which I think is the main problem with swtor. You interact with such a limited number of people no matter what you want to do. PVE or PVP, you need at least 3 friends of yours who are competent to have any chance of success. And when you do have those friends, you can only do a handful of things together (most likely you do what you have done a million times before).

I just really don't understand why you want to turn the swtor universe into "ahhh...come fight these monsters from...some other....galaxy far far away?...!!" honestly? thats what you all got together and thought was a brilliant idea? How about ANYTHING else that makes sense. You have 3000 years to play with between kotor and the original trilogy. You have 2000 years before darth bane does all his stuff. It just doesn't feel epic. It feels cheesy.

I hope you take a long hard look at the game. Figure out what is "fun", and do more of that. Slowly but surely, even the people who really enjoy this game will leave unless you make this game fun.

The general story is the Dread Masters. Which I mean yeah, its pretty Star Warsy, and they're summoning some monsters from a far away world through the Ancient Hypergates. I'm very much liking how its all linked together actually.

I sort of get what you mean. But its SW the Old Republic. Technically speaking its their own stuff with authorisation from LucasArts.

My seeing things can be small, but what I see in Terror from Beyond is, Dread masters found Ancient "Mass Relay" that was build by GREEpears, and summoning Creatures from the Warp. To be honest wants more pure Star Warsish expand, even small "easter eggs" that only true old fan will understand. Expanding game should include evolving galaxy, changing political situation on Alderaan for example, 1 year of game its a lot for same stuff in the Galaxy. New content shoudnt be only OPSes and War Zones, it should be new view on SW Universe

Two questions spring to mind. First why are the Sith fighting their own again? So far the Battle for Ilum fighting their own, The False Emporer fighting their own, The Raghoul Flashpoints fighting their own creations and now fighting people you worked hard to bust out of prison. Its getting very old and very boring.

Question two, what sort of content are you adding of non campaign level 16 man groups? It looks like the end game content is running flash points to get a certain level of gear, then running hard mode flash points to get the next tier, then running opperations to get the next level gear then running the latest opperation to get the next tier and then finally running terror from Beyond flashpoint to get the final level gear. Which will then become second rate when the next flash point is released or the level cap increased 5 levels and level 50 purples are equally to level 55 blue.

I can't see the reason to just keep gear grinding as end game. When is the gear grind going to stop and the end game start dynamic world events or open world pvp or anything that isn't repeating flashpoints and opps till people start hating the VO and story and puzzles and mechanics all for a pointless gear grind?

This is exactly what I thought after I beat World of Warcraft.

So. Hard Mode will contain a new set of gear. But it says that it's balanced for a full set of Campaign Gear, and specifically mentions Hard Mode Explosive Conflict. So....what gear will Story Mode Terror from Beyond drop? It should drop Campaign in my opinion.

So. Hard Mode will contain a new set of gear. But it says that it's balanced for a full set of Campaign Gear, and specifically mentions Hard Mode Explosive Conflict. So....what gear will Story Mode Terror from Beyond drop? It should drop Campaign in my opinion.

I hope it doesn't. I would really like to see a segregation of raid locks from hard / nightmare. So I want to see EC HM as viable still (and if TFB SM drops campaign, it will not).

I'm hoping for black hole, really.

I believe the familiar face is Malgus (Just because of the format figure and I hate to believe he died so easily in False Emperor Flashpoint)... I find it's too early for Kephess to have his revenge.

But if it's Kephess I guess expect each future Operation to have at least one Dread Master as a boss each time they create a new Operation.

Add some oposite side players to there. Want be able to kill somebody there or be killed. :) It will be best move instead adding new monsters.

For example, Gate breaks reality and 2 of them can overlap if rep/imps are inside in the same time. Also add ability to lockouts to track if any other side is inside right now and not overlapped yet. They can help each other and get rewards for both or kill each other and winner gets double reward from mobs.

Edited by alexzk

My seeing things can be small, but what I see in Terror from Beyond is, Dread masters found Ancient "Mass Relay" that was build by GREEpears, and summoning Creatures from the Warp. To be honest wants more pure Star Warsish expand, even small "easter eggs" that only true old fan will understand. Expanding game should include evolving galaxy, changing political situation on Alderaan for example, 1 year of game its a lot for same stuff in the Galaxy. New content shoudnt be only OPSes and War Zones, it should be new view on SW Universe

:^ This.

I agree.

The first thing i thought when i saw this : MASS EFFECT... jeez lol come up with something more original.

This is just lame and lazy.:rolleyes:

No, there's no way he's still alive. :p

Revan comes to mind as there's the theory that he teleported away rather than dying, but I believe him not being happy to see you would be somewhat strange from Pub side.

lore wise Malgus is very much alive and still continues on

also I read somewhere that the Dreadmasters have a good show in the operation... so its a toos up between them and Malgus

Edited by dacentabaal

Cannot Wait.

This Operation series is actually becoming better each time, although no final boss fight had the EPIC feeling SoA had so far.

BTW all Opps are connected to each other and when the fifth or sixth Opps will launch they should make one whole story. The latest Event is also a bit tied up since the Gree will come along. But both SoA and Karagga where actually challenges created by the Dread Masters.

My force Vision tells me 1.4 to launch around mid September. Hope I am right :D

Edited by limenutpen

things i am excited about : New raid with interesting concepts from this end well done folks. you also managed to introduce inter galactic hyper travel which opens alot of doors to the future.

things i am worried about: Campain level requirements for HM should mean the story mode drops campain level gear. After all that is what progression means .. that you progress from one tier to the next. My worry as a PVE player on a PVE server is that to be honest EC HM isnt exactly a walk in the park (i have gotten to all but kephess and more then half of the guildies i got that far with no longer play the game). So guilds who have lost a large population because people who felt the raiding was too easy for them have already left ... so i seriously hope that the content is not so hard its off putting at very least on SM.

I know your all gonna QQ ... i don't care i don't plan to follow the comments of this thread.

But the problem with this game is there isnt enough content and the content that comes out takes too freaking long to come out and you can only raid so many days a week. EV and KP are already worthless to most do them once maybe twice with OP team to get yourself geared enough for SM EC then fumble through HM EC unless your in a really good guild of super elitists.

Hoping this new raid isnt gonna be nearly as silly. SM EC seems to be like you need some BH to beat enrage timers .... are we to expect the same level of stupidity on this raid? ... when you say balanced for full campain gear do you mean its doable in rakata with BH mods? .... what tier gear will the new raid drop on SM? campain / mk1-3?

will SM be easier or harder then EC HM ?

i guess all this doesnt really matter until the content is launched ... but keep in mind there are more people who are in hardcore guilds who arent beating HM EC then there are elite groups who are. They need content too, and with free to play the number of people who cant handle the content gets increased.

(FYI its not me that sucks .... my sorc healer can hit over 1k on aoe and nearly 8k on single target crits 40% crit chance and 80% multiplier .... but you cant play ALL the characters in the raid at the same time)